• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone posted this?

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/279842-trump-adviser-pushes-him-to-back-carbon-tax

Basically, Trump's energy advisor is trying to get him to back a carbon tax, not because he believes global warming is man made, but because Trump is a populist and the country wants something to be done on climate change.

It would be incredible if Trump could get the GOP go move left on climate change. I would be eternally grateful to Trump (lolwut) if he gets the GOP to agree to a carbon tax.

I'm actually kind of in love with the Cap & Trade carbon tax as a system. It's just so... elegant. Turn the free market to the environment's advantage.

It could totally happen. Just need a wipeout of sufficient size.

The magic number is 30.

I really want to believe. I want to believe this country has a harsher backlash against Trump and the GOP's unprecedented behavior, than against Obama in 2009, 2010, etc. Dems lost 64 seats that year. I just want to believe Trump will be at least HALF as damaging as that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It would be pretty easy to, just say "every candidate gets a bump when they become the official candidate"

Which makes sense. A 10%-15% win for Hillary would be impossible. Except that they totally ignored that point when discussing the recent DEAD HEAT that... still shows Trump losing.

True. People like train wrecks.

I typed in the word "statistical dead heat" into google and came up with a couple of news stories from the last week using the phrase verbatim. The narrative is already there.

User1608

Banned
I am so angry about transgender issues being used like this. I freaking BETTER see some of the bigger LGBT rights groups actually acknowledge the "T" part of the acronym and stand the fuck up. I am literally DONE with the community only caring about the "G" and "B" part. Hell, we ignore the L part because "lesbians are weird."

tumblr_n3srrf0Qwo1qd87w4o1_500.gif
Thanks for this post, Adam. We need to all be in this together! And Obama is awesome.

Fuchsdh

I am so angry about transgender issues being used like this. I freaking BETTER see some of the bigger LGBT rights groups actually acknowledge the "T" part of the acronym and stand the fuck up. I am literally DONE with the community only caring about the "G" and "B" part. Hell, we ignore the L part because "lesbians are weird."

tumblr_n3srrf0Qwo1qd87w4o1_500.gif

People are self-interested, and generally don't care about other people they don't know or identify with. I guess you can feel extra-disappointed about that attitude if it's coming from a group that is supposed to be universally tolerant and pushing equality, but really the only way LGBT groups are going to get better about it is if there's more people in the organizations who aren't from the "big" queer groupings.

It's like expecting the big feminist organizations to actually be interested in men's issues or to be completely welcoming to trans women. Ultimately that's not where their bread is buttered.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Yeah, no.

Hillary "defenders" (a more accurate term would be people who know what they're talking about, or people with even a modicum of perspective) are not the ones shitting out misinformation daily.

If your defense is that the information wasn't classified at the time (some was (see my third point), and still more should have been, had Clinton cared about the rules regarding classification) or that it wasn't marked classified (even Clinton understands that that doesn't matter, disingenuous claims to her fan club notwithstanding) or that the State Department disagrees with the classification of IC material (which changes nothing (see my second point)), then you don't know what you're talking about.

Most people were willing to let this topic fade from the thread, yet you chose to bring it back up on the basis of no new evidence or arguments--and all just because I used the word "defenders." It's just more of your typical, tiresome bluster.

Bowdz

I'm actually kind of in love with the Cap & Trade carbon tax as a system. It's just so... elegant. Turn the free market to the environment's advantage.

I agree wholeheartedly.

That's also why I legitimately like the ACA (although it can and should be tweaked to be improved). Market competition, when instituted fairly is a good thing that will drive costs down, improve efficiency, and improve quality. It is an elegant system that just requires Congress to accept that various crony allegiances need to be pushed to the side for the broader public good.

Politically, it is a great thing for Democrats to embrace because all of these policies help to expose the sheer hypocrisy of the GOP when they claim they champion the free market. They don't with regards to healthcare, they don't with regards to energy policy, they don't with regards to telecoms and TV box sets, they don't with regards to space launches, and they don't with regards to defense contracting. A true free market with appropriate safety mechanisms to protect the public safety and well-being is demonstrably a good thing and the Democratic party should absolutely be reminding people of that during the election.

Trump is clearly lying about being worth 10 billion and his tax returns will obviously be damning.

I hope the audit ends by sometime around September so he is out of excuses and is forced to release them.

Damn, meta
It's never a good sign when you argue with someone and they have your posts saved to attack you with. Can Jack Remington come back from this assault!?

Ophelion

Trump is clearly lying about being worth 10 billion and his tax returns will obviously be damning.

I hope the audit ends by sometime around September so he is out of excuses and is forced to release them.

Does he need excuses though? I feel like he'll just say something nonsensical which when picked apart will just mean, "I don't want to."

Fuchsdh

Yeah it's pretty clear that Trump is not worth that much, and has been for a while (his depositions about making up his net worth should have been proof enough.) Seeing it in hard numbers would be interesting, though.

On that point—when did releasing tax returns actually turn into A Thing Candidates Do?

Teggy

It's going to be up to the media to hold Trumps feet to the fire on the tax returns but I'm not holding my breath. No one did anything about his farce of a medical report, after all. He's already almost literally said, "there's nothing there, trust me" regarding his taxes and they let him get away with it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Our government has decided it's ok to kill a ton of innocent people to nail a handful of terrorists. You can disagree, and tell me I'm wrong. If I am, I will change my views, because I care about the truth and what is right and wrong. But don't tell me to tone down my criticism. All the good Obama does is not an excuse for the bad.

Tell it to the dads that lost their daughters and sons, dog

What's the superior (and realistic) alternative, though? Given the state of the region, what are the available options that would result in less overall loss of life than (clearly flawed) targeted drone strikes? I am of course not counting "full disengagement from the area" as a reasonable alternative, because that's an entirely different discussion.

Does he need excuses though? I feel like he'll just say something nonsensical which when picked apart will just mean, "I don't want to."

LOL

We're not seeing them man.

That is my initial thought, but I mean.. At some point I feel like he will be forced into a corner here. As we get closer to November I think he'll have to be treated more as a serious candidate. Nobody has been able to avoid this since it became a thing

But then again what do I know.. Trump does not play by the laws of other human's

Yeah it's pretty clear that Trump is not worth that much, and has been for a while (his depositions about making up his net worth should have been proof enough.) Seeing it in hard numbers would be interesting, though.

On that point—when did releasing tax returns actually turn into A Thing Candidates Do?

I think since Truman it has been a thing. You can find FDR's tax returns online but he didn't release them while he was President.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everyone knows a big part of Trump's stated worth is the value of his intangibles. It's tough to appraise that and I think even he would agree. I don't think it's "shocking" if he's worth 2 billion instead of $10Bn. It's interesting though if he's really only worth like $300MM.

Maledict

Nope, it's a proper article but hardly serious. The Economist sometimes does amusing articles like this when confronted with the utter insanity that is world events. And you can't get more insane than Donald Trump!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Everyone knows a big part of Trump's stated worth is the value of his intangibles. It's tough to appraise that and I think even he would agree. I don't think it's "shocking" if he's worth 2 billion instead of $10Bn. It's interesting though if he's really only worth like $300MM.

Not only that but it could undermine him in future business deals as banks may be reluctant to offer him credit. Or creditors might come calling if it turns out he is orders of magnitude worth less than believed/projected.

Teggy

I was surfing Twitter and saw another one of these Bernie memes about the size of his rallies compared to Hillary's.

And it got me thinking. I am very tuned into the election, very educated about the candidates, and very sure about who I am voting for based on the issues and the those candidates. But I would never want to go to a political rally. To me, it seems like a waste of time. If I want to hear the candidates speeches, I can watch them on tv or YouTube. I would rather ride my bike, play games, go to the gym, spend time with my wife or dogs or any number of other things.

I have to imagine there are many, many more people like me than the people who go to a stadium to watch a political figure speak.

So I wonder who these people are that are going to stadium-sized Bernie rallies? What are they getting out of it? And if he's still losing the election, what is Bernie getting out of it?

I was surfing Twitter and saw another one of these Bernie memes about the size of his rallies compared to Hillary's.

And it got me thinking. I am very tuned into the election, very educated about the candidates, and very sure about who I am voting for based on the issues and the those candidates. But I would never want to go to a political rally. To me, it seems like a waste of time. If I want to hear the candidates speeches, I can watch them on tv or YouTube. I would rather ride my bike, play games, go to the gym, spend time with my wife or dogs or any number of other things.

I have to imagine there are many, many more people like me than the people who go to a stadium to watch a political figure speak.

So I wonder who these people are that are going to stadium-sized Bernie rallies? What are they getting out of it? And if he's still losing the election, what is Bernie getting out of it?
I just want to see Obama speak live because not only is he a great speaker, he's likely to be one of the biggest figures of our time so it'd be great to see him in person.

nomster

Not only that but it could undermine him in future business deals as banks may be reluctant to offer him credit. Or creditors might come calling if it turns out he is orders of magnitude worth less than believed/projected.
He can't provide fake numbers to banks/creditors. They already know his true bet worth, at least to the extent he is personally entering into deals. More likely he has some other company set up.

Y2Kev

I don't know if I agree. He himself is not offered credit. His company or their associated special purpose investment vehicles are. Trump being broke really doesn't mean anything to the Trump Organization other than it looking bad. But so does TRUMP TAJ MAHAL going bankrupt seven times.

Ophelion

I mean, you're asking a series of questions that have very complex sociological answers. And probably not just one. For one thing, I'm sure plenty of the people going fully believe he will win and/or that he is currently winning. I've seen tons of delusional articles claiming just that. For another thing, a lot of human beings are joiners. We like feeling like we're a part of something. For me, it's the Democratic party and I'd like to think I'm at least on my way to earning enough brownie points to be considered a card-carrying "PoliGAFer". They're just pleased to be together with people they feel share their views in support of a man they think is good for the country.

As for what Bernie gets out of it, personally he gets their love and gratitude. As an ex-stage actor, I can tell you that applause does things to you, man. It's good. Obviously, it's good for his campaign financially too. I'm sure donations pour in from people that feel like they're getting something out of that rally. And I'm sure it certainly feels like/is a great way to spread his message. That one is the obvious one.

Intangibles? You can't spend things that aren't real so they're not part of his worth.

I have skills and a wonderful personality, I can't tell people I'm worth more than I have in tangible things though.

Metaphoreus

Intangibles? You can't spend things that aren't real so they're not part of his worth.

I have skills and a wonderful personality, I can't tell people I'm worth more than I have in tangible things though.

Think things like the Trump brand name, not personality.

Y2Kev

No, what you're describing is tangible net worth, which is an entirely different quasi-credit/quasi-valuation statistic. Trump has hard assets (like cash, property, things) and he also has intangible assets (his brand, his name, his celebrity). These intangible assets do have real worth and can be relied on to generate future revenues. This is the definition of an asset.

If you value the Trump brand at $50 or at $50Bn, you will obviously impact his net worth significantly. He's said as much.

Trump's an idiot but he totally gets finance and accounting.

Think things like the Trump brand name, not personality.

That's not his worth then. What are his assets vs his liabilities not potential assets.

If he's talking about his Market value than that's different, its not his weath

No, what you're describing is tangible net worth, which is an entirely different quasi-credit/quasi-valuation statistic. Trump has hard assets (like cash, property, things) and he also has intangible assets (his brand, his name, his celebrity). These intangible assets do have real worth and can be relied on to generate future revenues. This is the definition of an asset.

If you value the Trump brand at $50 or at $50Bn, you will obviously impact his net worth significantly. He's said as much.

Trump's an idiot but he totally gets finance and accounting.

Which is what he's said. "I am worth"

Someone can value his potential worth but its not his worth and its not what average people understand that term to be.

Rich people can generate money out of nothing but the rest of us have to rely on tangible things

Funny listening to Rush Limbaugh bitch about the CGI donating money to groups, when his show gets fronted by tons of tea party organizations and conservative reliant companies.

PS, I don't know why I subject myself to it, some reason I just have to listen to talk radio at lunch...and being around Dallas...I aint got any good options. I just try to use it as a way to know the enemy.

Y2Kev

That's not his worth then. What are his assets vs his liabilities not potential assets.

Someone can value his potential worth but its not his worth and its not what average people understand that term to be.

Rich people can generate money out of nothing but the rest of us have to rely on tangible things

I don't know how to restate this, but you're not understanding how accounting works. He is worth the combined sum of his assets minus the combined sum of his liabilities. Agree?

Well, maybe I'll start talking like Trump. I'll say OK after every major statement.

He is worth the combined sum of his assets minus the combined sum of his liabilities. OK? He's not generating something out of nothing. If he owned a patent that was worth millions of dollars, for example, that would be an example of another intangible asset (the patent is worth nothing itself) from which he could reasonably be expected to generate future income. OK? So when he tells you what he is worth, he is summing all of his assets. His intangible assets are real and have real value. OK?

Lots of non-rich people have intangible assets. People who publish have copyrights. These are intangible assets. They have value and are included in their calculation of worth. OK?

Poor people don't have brands or name recognition. They could include them in their calculations but any appraisal will result in their values being appraised at $0. Because they are worth that!

Clear?

I've been to two Obama rallies. The first was in 2008 as a combination of "hey, I like this Obama guy" and "going to a rally like this feels like the sort of thing I should do at least once." The second was in 2012 as a combination of "I still like this Obama guy" and "I think it would be cool to see the sitting president in person."

Funny listening to Rush Limbaugh bitch about the CGI donating money to groups, when his show gets fronted by tons of tea party organizations and conservative reliant companies.

PS, I don't know why I subject myself to it, some reason I just have to listen to talk radio at lunch...and being around Dallas...I aint got any good options. I just try to use it as a way to know the enemy.
I listened to talk radio for a while. It's healthy to hear the other side's opinions I think. Certainly beats the Feel the Bernie bubble effect.

I may have already told this story, but one day talk radio became too much and I never listened again.

I used to listen to talk radio out of Boston. They had some libertarian guy, who later got fired... but he was pro bush, anti Kerry and Obama. He seemed relatively rational and could explain his positions pretty well.

I live about an hour and twenty minutes drive away from Boston on Cape Cod. So it was winter. At the time I was working part time for Gamestop, and we were forecast a giant blizzard. The papers billed it 'Snowmageddon', as you do. They sent us all home from my fulltime job to avoid the storm, and as I was driving home the snow started coming down thick and fast. I called my boss at Gamestop to see if he still wanted us to come in.

And he did. So a few hours later I showed up at Gamestop, with a snow shovel in hand to work an absolutely dead shift. I get out of work and dig my car out of about two feet of snow, and set off home, with talk radio on.

Well, apparently the snowstorm missed Boston. The host, and caller after caller were mocking the state for calling a state of emergency, and for all the storm preparedness they had done. I'm driving in a white out blizzard, that's so bad that I get lost somehow on a drive I'd made multiple hundreds of times before.

I'm lost in the worst blizzard I've seen, and people three towns away are mocking the state for getting ready for a really bad blizzard, blind to the fact that the storm just shifted a few degrees and still hit parts of the state really badly. Just ripping into the state for all they did to keep people safe had the storm stayed on its original track.

I turned it off to focus on figuring out where I was and figuring out the best way home.

I never turned it back on.

Metaphoreus

A brand name isn't a "potential asset"--it's just an asset. Likewise other intangible assets. Those assets have a value, however difficult it may be to determine. If I run a successful catering business called Metaphoreus' Catering and you want to start your own catering business in the same area, there would be a real value to you to acquire the Metaphoreus brand if you could, rather than starting your own brand named NYCmetsfan's Catering. In that scenario, people already know and like the services provided by Metaphoreus' Catering; they have no idea who this NYCmetsfan cat is or whether they can trust his catering.

To the extent you think such assets shouldn't be counted until it's cash in hand, I don't see why you wouldn't think the same thing for every asset. Trump can't spend Trump Tower, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom