• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

What sort of target does Sanders need to hit if he wants to have any convincing path to victory? Or has that ship sailed anyway?
Well, after tomorrow, there's only nine contests left, one of which is a 7 delegate territory, the US Virgin Islands, 5 are small prize states, New Mexico, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and DC, one is a mid-size territory, Puerto Rico, one is a large state, New Jersey, and the final one is the biggest state of all, California. Clinton is favored in a majority of them, save for some small states. So if he wants any sort of victory, he needs to get about 80% in every state moving forward.

itschris

This is from FiveThirtyEight on May 3rd, during Indiana's primary:

4nXWLzK.png

He already missed his targets in Guam and West Virginia, so he'd need to do a bit better than those already absurd numbers in the remaining states.

Drakeon

This is from FiveThirtyEight on May 3rd, during Indiana's primary:

4nXWLzK.png

He already missed his targets in Guam and West Virginia, so he'd need to do a bit better than those already absurd numbers in the remaining states.

Holy fucking shit at those numbers. I'm kinda surprised Clinton began campaigning in Kentucky again.

I wish Clinton would do an event near me in CA (Sacramento) :( Bernie did one, but I really didn't want to deal with crowds to see someone I mostly dislike now.

border

2/3rds? Doesn't seem that far off to other calculations I've seen. Truly a narrow, but visible path to victory.

How many primaries has he won with 66% or more of the vote? That path to victory seems unrealistically optimistic, rather than just "narrow". Narrow would be having to win most of the remaining states by 5-10%, not having to win all of them by 15% or more.

Iolo

Tyler probably thinks Oregon will be like Washington. And something something Facebook likes.

Tyler said:
It is difficult to reconcile the one and only poll (that showed Hillary with a 15% lead… but also had 19% undecided… and was also conducted well after ballots had already been received and presumably had already been mailed off by many voters) conducted in Oregon with this projection, but I refuse to arbitrarily tack on extra points because I have a hunch about something.

chuckling-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Holy fucking shit at those numbers. I'm kinda surprised Clinton began campaigning in Kentucky again.

I wish Clinton would do an event near me in CA (Sacramento) :( Bernie did one, but I really didn't want to deal with crowds to see someone I mostly dislike now.

Well, Trump being the nominee, in a way it puts all 50 states "in play" so to speak. Thinking long term, visiting all 50 states is not a bad way to campaign.

HUELEN10

How many primaries has he won with 66% or more of the vote? That path to victory seems unrealistically optimistic, rather than just "narrow". Narrow would be having to win most of the remaining states by 5-10%, not having to win all of them by 15% or more.

Point is it's not impossible, and it proves that his decision to be in it and it not being over until it truly is over has some merit.

Zornack

66.22% of remaining pledgeable delegates to tie Clinton.

One, Vermont.

*Primaries*? His home state. That's it. He's won a few caucuses by large margins...

but if you add up all the delegates left in the two remaining states that hold caucuses...

you get 35.

So his margins in caucuses are no good to him at this point.

Point is it's not impossible, and it proves that his decision to be in it and it not being over until it truly is over has some merit.

You don't honestly think he's staying in because he thinks he can win do you?

The guy is way more intelligent than that.

Here's something else he's too smart to attempt: Overturn the will of the voters at the convention.

I absolutely believe that he believes he has a shot. That's why I voted for him, because I believe he can do it too.

You vote for him because you think he'd be the best President.

I really hope you didn't vote for him because you think he thinks he can win. That's a really strange reason to vote for someone.

And he won't win.

It's important that you vote so that everyone can see which demographics care about which issues. Staying home to vote because you don't think your guy can win is just a sure fire way to ensure that politicians never give a fuck about what you want.

kess

Huelen, when are you going to ever give Lyndon LaRouche a shot?

Americans can only participate in this drive for victory by regaining the ability to reject "public opinion" and "practicality" in favor of creative thinking, which has been driven out our population's minds by 70 years of FBI terror, brain-destroying drugs and popular music, green psychosis against science, and London's control of Washington through Wall Street.

HUELEN10

You vote for him because you think he'd be the best President.

I really hope you didn't vote for him because you think he thinks he can win. That's a really strange reason to vote for someone.

And he won't win.

It's important that you vote so that everyone can see which demographics care about which issues. Staying home to vote because you don't think your guy can win is just a sure fire way to ensure that politicians never give a fuck about what you want.

Well, okay. He wasn't my top pick, but I voted for him because I like where he stands on issues I care about and I thought my vote could make a difference... I'm just hoping that it did. And even if it didn't, I don't regret voting for sanders, just like I don't regret voting for Obama or Ron Paul.

He is the first, and only candidate that has ever made me WANT to join the demmys just to vote... For me, that is huge.

So yes, you're right, I didn't vote for him merely because I Believe he can win, but I still want him to, and believe he can. Again, we will see.

I was just looking at election betting odds.com or whatever.

Trump isn't going to pick a white guy as his VP. I mean... he can't be that ignorant. He didn't just pick white guys on the apprentice.

If he is... we're talking the biggest landslide the democrats have seen in a long time. But he can't. He's got to see that he's losing certain demographics if he doesn't do something about it... and that he can't afford to lose those demographics.

Right?

Gingrich would at best tie up the establishment republican white male vote. That's it. That's nothing.

Well, okay. He wasn't my top pick, but I voted for him because I like where he stands on issues I care about and I thought my vote could make a difference... I'm just hoping that it did. And even if it didn't, I don't regret voting for sanders, just like I don't regret voting for Obama or Ron Paul.

He is the first, and only candidate that has ever made me WANT to join the demmys just to vote... For me, that is huge.

So yes, you're right, I didn't vote for him merely because I Believe he can win, but I still want him to, and believe he can. Again, we will see.

Voting always makes a difference. That's something I wish certain demographics would understand. Sanders campaign will have failed to make him the nominee, but it won't have failed to bring much more focus onto the sort of issues he fights for.

Trancos

Also, Oregon has auto voter registration and mail-in ballots. It probably has the best voting system in the country.
The trick is that people still need to voluntarily register to a party to vote in a primary since they are both closed. 76% of newly registred voters in OR failed to register for a party in time for this primary.

mo60

I was just looking at election betting odds.com or whatever.

Donald "All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me" Trump isn't going to pick a white guy as his VP. I mean... he can't be that ignorant. He didn't just pick white guys on the apprentice.

If he is... we're talking the biggest landslide the democrats have seen in a long time. But he can't. He's got to see that he's losing certain demographics if he doesn't do something about it... and that he can't afford to lose those demographics.

Right?

Gingrich would at best tie up the establishment republican white male vote. That's it. That's nothing.

Voting always makes a difference. That's something I wish certain demographics would understand. Sanders campaign will have failed to make him the nominee, but it won't have failed to bring much more focus onto the sort of issues he fights for.

I don't think there is anything trump can to do to actually stop losing certain demographics in this election. No VP he chooses will help him get the demographics he needs to beat Hilary or keep the race close.

Rubio is literally this stupid.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/732402556903821313?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This is Scott Walker/Jeb Bush tier stupidity.

I thought for a second donald trump actually replied to that tweet. Lol.

Anyway if rubio jumps back into the florida senate race he will not even win it and probably destroy whatever remains of his political career.

border

If the Jacksonville Jaguars are losing by 28 points in the fourth quarter, it's not impossible for them to win....it's just extremely unlikely that they would score 28+ unanswered points within the span of 8 -10 minutes of playtime, particularly given how poorly they played up until the beginning of the fourth quarter.

That's not to say that the Jaguars players themselves should give up and go home, but by that point most of their fans have already given up hope and are walking out to the parking lot. Sanders doesn't have to give up if he wants to fight all the way to the end, but anybody without their head in the clouds probably should have.

In May 2015, Rodrigo Duterte invited my colleagues and I for some rest and relaxation in Davao City, the metropolis in the south of the Philippines that he has overseen as mayor for almost 30 years. “To all the bleeding hearts of U.S.-based [Human Rights] Watch,” Duterte wrote in a statement. “You want a taste of justice, my style? Come to Davao City, Philippines, and do drugs in my city. I will execute you in public.”

That threat was in response to the Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticism of Duterte’s public support for the gangland-style killings as a form of crime control. A 2009 HRW report investigated the cases of some of the hundreds of people — including children as young as 14 — murdered by death squads in Davao City and other cities in the Philippines. Though there is no hard evidence of Duterte’s direct role in ordering the killings, we found proof that Davao City officials and police were directly involved. (And Duterte himself has never shied away from publicly applauding the targeted killing of what he calls “criminals.”)

Oh my fucking god:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/05/16...campaign=New Campaign&utm_term=*Editors Picks

If the Jacksonville Jaguars are losing by 28 points in the fourth quarter, it's not impossible for them to win....it's just extremely unlikely that they would score 28+ unanswered points within the span of 8 -10 minutes of playtime, particularly given how poorly they played up until the beginning of the fourth quarter.

That's not to say that the Jaguars players themselves should give up and go home, but by that point most of their fans have already given up hope and are walking out to the parking lot. Sanders doesn't have to give up if he wants to fight all the way to the end, but anybody without their head in the clouds probably should have.

except at this point we're coming up on 4 minutes left and the jags drives keep ending in 3 and outs

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Not sonic-y enough for the target audience.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If he jumps back into the Senate race in Florida I feel like it will backfire tremendously.
I doubt he jumps back in in the senate. I think he is being coy, either governor run or an implied "I'll probably never run for president again." My bet is the former.

I doubt he jumps back in in the senate. I think he is being coy, either governor run or an implied "I'll probably never run for president again." My bet is the former.

It's a "Trump won without being in political office so I can run for president in 2020 and win the nomination even if I'm not in political office in the next four years" tweet.

It's so fucking stupid.

I kind of agree with the point that the Clinton campaign apparently made where they aren't going to do the "go for the center" 90s strategy. You really are wearing either a red shirt or blue shirt at this point.

I think the goal less trying to court would be Trump voters and more so courting the left leaning voters who would might stay home, or vote for Jill Stein or write in Frank Underwood or something. A VP who appeals to the Bernie wing, would help significantly more than likely any other type of VP pick.

Cerium

I kind of agree with the point that the Clinton campaign apparently made where they aren't going to do the "go for the center" 90s strategy. You really are wearing either a red shirt or blue shirt at this point.

Hillary only got this far because she grabbed Obama in a bear hug and didn't let go. I think it can't be understated how much Obama's unspoken support helped her. Sanders would've sunk her otherwise.

ampere

except at this point we're coming up on 4 minutes left and the jags drives keep ending in 3 and outs

And Bortles just threw a pick six (no TV advertising in California)

gcubed

I think the goal less trying to court would be Trump voters and more so courting the left leaning voters who would might stay home, or vote for Jill Stein or write in Frank Underwood or something.

would be trump supporters are probably more realistic and more numerous than people who would vote for Jill Stein, and probably easier to get. We are also talking tenths of a percentage point. I would greatly lose respect for Hillary if she did anything to the level that could convince some idiot voting for Jill Stein to switch to Hillary.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary only got this far because she grabbed Obama in a bear hug and didn't let go. I think it can't be understated how much Obama's unspoken support helped her. Sanders would've sunk her otherwise.

Whoa now, let's not get crazy. While bear hugging Obama definitely helped run up the margins, Bernie was never in a position to beat her.

would be trump supporters are probably more realistic and more numerous than people who would vote for Jill Stein, and probably easier to get. We are also talking tenths of a percentage point. I would greatly lose respect for Hillary if she did anything to the level that could convince some idiot voting for Jill Stein to switch to Hillary.

Right, but the alternative isn't any better.

I don't think appeal to the Trump voters is a road she or the Dems want to go down at all, considering what it would probably entail.

I think the goal less trying to court would be Trump voters and more so courting the left leaning voters who would might stay home, or vote for Jill Stein or write in Frank Underwood or something. A VP who appeals to the Bernie wing, would help significantly more than likely any other type of VP pick.
The centre isn't about getting Trump voters. It's that there's more to be gained trying to coax socially liberal Republicans horrified with Trump. There are more self identified moderates than liberals. Crazy Bernie's crazy fans aren't going to decide the general election by voting for kooky Jill. Come November no one will care about him again.

I wouldn't say sunk but it would have been much closer. I think this is also evidence as to why Hillary should be doing something other than the Obama bear hug to get support from the progressive wing to get behind her.

The centre isn't about getting Trump voters. It's that there's more to be gained trying to coax socially liberal Republicans horrified with Trump. There are more self identified moderates than liberals. Crazy Bernie's crazy fans aren't going to decide the general election by voting for kooky Jill. Come November no one will care about him again.

I feel like Hillary can make that appeal on her own, as the safe option or the non "risk" candidate, to republicans who really feel like the world will blow up if Trump wins.

I don't think those people will care who her VP is. Where as I think the Liberal base more so would.

But In the end I really have no idea what I'm talking about so w/e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom