• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any anti-Trump ads in Indiana. A lot of "a vote for John Kasich is a vote for Donald Trump" ads though.

And so many ads about the congressional races. I want Todd Young and Marlin Stutzman to just go away.

Indiana General Election poll from WTHR

Trump 47
Clinton 39

Cruz 53
Clinton 36
Hmm... I would hope Clinton could swing it, but GA, AZ and MO (probably in that order) are definitely more likely.

Indiana is more pro-Trump than the Confederacy. Sad!

Crazy we have polls showing him trailing in Mississippi of all states but he has a significant lead in a state Obama has actually won.

I mean it makes sense, Trump is underperforming Romney in these GE polls with whites and in a diverse state like Mississippi, the percentage of whites a Dem needs to actually win the state is very low(but normally impossible to reach). But still pretty surprising.

10392814_G.jpg

It comes down to Trump having a massive lead with men.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also Macho (a mess), if you vote for Bernie and he wins the state and we have to hear another round of momentum bullshit I'm going to ban you.

>Post thread about Trump hiring someone who once supported a batshit insane lawsuit to stop Native Americans from owning a dam in their reservations because "well, the Native Americans are trading with Turkey and who knows, they may be giving yellow cake to those Muslims!!!"

>People complain that the Associated Press story talking about the lawsuit doesn't mention Donald Trump... Even though the lawsuit took place months before Trump hired him.

I swear if I posted a thread about Trump hiring Breivik as an adviser and posting a link to the story about him killing 77 people, they would complain how me making it about Trump because the original article about the massacre didn't mention Trump.

thefro

Bernie volunteer just stopped by and door-knocked in my little town. Granted my name's going to be in the databases for some political donations to Obama in 08/12 and a bit of volunteering.

Seems his ground game is strong in Indiana, anyway.

Deeply confusing Bernie Stans: "Hillary says she's for gun control, but she also says she knows how to shoot a gun! Hypocrite and liar!"

https://twitter.com/LarryWebsite/status/724120125264265217

... I mean, I guess knowing how to shoot a gun and being for gun control are mutually exclusive things?
Derp. The disconnect between them and the general public is palpable. Most GUN OWNERS support gun control. It's not a contradiction or a flip flop at all. Yeah, she's pandering. Show me a politician who doesn't.

My congressman was a member of the House Freedom Caucus! I live in a tea party district in California! Incredible!

He left because they are too reactionary and they prevent important legislation from getting passed while simultaneously working with Democrats to stop Republican legislation, but still!

I'm a little bummed out that I didn't have cable when Virginia's primaries were approaching. I really love seeing all the political ads. But I love far enough north that I guess I'm picking up Maryland's commercials now, and boy oh boy is Kasich advertising. He's the only one I've seen so far.

OuterLimits

Wait. Does that mean Cruz could force himself onto the ticket with Trump?

That would be A MAZE ING.

Trump would have Cruz constantly sent away to foreign countries if he were President. Or just locked in a closet somewhere.

Probably need food testers with Cruz so close by. Lol.

OuterLimits

It almost seems like Kasich is helping Trump now, although I'm sure that probably isn't his intention. The NeverTrump crew gets split while Trump does well enough to win. Especially with Trump close to 50% in some states and national polls.

The Kasich team has even focused ads against Cruz in some states which seems counter productive. I'm puzzled what Kasich is thinking at this point?

Crazy we have polls showing him trailing in Mississippi of all states but he has a significant lead in a state Obama has actually won.

I mean it makes sense, Trump is underperforming Romney in these GE polls with whites and in a diverse state like Mississippi, the percentage of whites a Dem needs to actually win the state is very low(but normally impossible to reach). But still pretty surprising.
Just another reminder that not all red states are created equal.

States like Mississippi and South Carolina are high floor, low ceiling for Democrats. But every election cycle, both the floor and the ceiling are pushed a little higher. When that dam breaks...

The Kasich team has even focused ads against Cruz in some states which seems counter productive. I'm puzzled what Kasich is thinking at this point?

He's craven and wants to be Trump's VP, so he's helping him out and trying to make an "I'm electable! You can have me as VP and it will calm everyone down who is worried about voting for you/it will make you more electable" case while keeping Cruz from taking the nomination.

I believe that Kasich doesn't want to be Trump's VP about as much as I believe that Paul Ryan doesn't want to run for POTUS.

OuterLimits

Just another reminder that not all red states are created equal.

States like Mississippi and South Carolina are high floor, low ceiling for Democrats. But every election cycle, both the floor and the ceiling are pushed a little higher. When that dam breaks...

A Trump Hillary contest may have some states not going the usual way. A recent Fox Poll showed Kasich beating Hillary in Connecticut, Trump down 48-40, and Cruz getting smashed 55-32. In Pennsylvania, Hillary and Trump were tied, while Cruz was easily losing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump won a state like Pennsylvania but lost Utah.

Also Hillary should he glad it isn't Kasich, because he crushes her everywhere. Granted, general election polls don't mean much at this point.

A Trump Hillary contest may have some states not going the usual way. A recent Fox Poll showed Kasich beating Hillary in Connecticut, Trump down 48-40, and Cruz getting smashed 55-32. In Pennsylvania, Hillary and Trump were tied, while Cruz was easily losing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump won a state like Pennsylvania but lost Utah.

Also Hillary should he glad it isn't Kasich, because he crushes her everywhere. Granted, general election polls don't mean much at this point.
um I would be very surprised if Pennsylvania went for Trump.

That state is complete fool's gold for Republicans. Philly will always outvote the rest of the state in presidential elections.

Like you said, it's early. And it's very easy in the midst of a primary to say you'll vote one way more than six months out. That's why I don't buy that Hillary would win Utah and Mississippi either.

Clefargle

Sanders response to how specifically the DNC was unfair to him:

"They scheduled the debates during low viewer periods"

"Mutter mutter, something about the media"

I like sanders but this is rediculous. Reddit is eating it up though. Already rationalizing his loss or calling for violence/merging with trump supporters. Insanity

VRMN

Curious what part of the constitution it would violate?

First amendment. You can make a decent argument that refusing to vote is a form of speech and as such is a protected action.

I think a better route is probably enshrining a constitutional right to vote for all citizens and using that to make more inclusive voting laws once you've shifted from default ineligibility to default eligibility. You could also use this to get things like mail in ballots more common, make those ballots include a no confidence/protest vote, and then move towards making that mandatory.

But remember, the Republican Party as an institution is against expanding access to the ballot, so...yeah...it'll be a long fight. But it needs to be more central to the Democratic platform.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
pretty sure theres an argument that freedom of speech/freedom of expression includes the right not to cast a vote.

I feel like you could make a case that as long as the option to "Abstain" or select "None of the Above" was readily available such a requirement would not represent an infringement of speech while still increasing turnout. Hell, if anything having concrete numbers about the number of abstain votes instead of just trying to figure out what proportion of the non-voting population is doing so ideologically as opposed to other reasons ultimately increases the expression of speech of abstention. The people choosing not to vote now know that the fact that they aren't voting is communicated clearly and precisely.

The real problem is implementing it in a way that doesn't just hurt already disenfranchised people

Josh5890

pretty sure theres an argument that freedom of speech/freedom of expression includes the right not to cast a vote.

Agreed. You have a right to vote as well as not vote. "Forcing" people to vote would open up a huge can of worms.

Besides, would you really want people who are uneducated in candidates and the issues to be casting a vote?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like you could make a case that as long as the option to "Abstain" or select "None of the Above" was readily available such a requirement would not represent an infringement of speech while still increasing turnout. Hell, if anything having concrete numbers about the number of abstain votes instead of just trying to figure out what proportion of the non-voting population is doing so ideologically as opposed to other reasons ultimately increases the expression of speech of abstention

The real problem is implementing it in a way that doesn't just hurt already disenfranchised people

You'd have to make it paid holiday for everyone to start with.

Hmm... I would hope Clinton could swing it, but GA, AZ and MO (probably in that order) are definitely more likely.

A Trump nomination would put some surprising states in play, but Indiana probably isn't one of them. His brand of conservatism should play well there, as there are significant constituencies for both protectionism and racism. I'd love to be wrong, and I was very glad that 2008 taught Democrats that the state can be worth contesting, but for this cycle there are probably better targets.

Armaros

Sanders response to how specifically the DNC was unfair to him:

"They scheduled the debates during low viewer periods"

"Mutter mutter, something about the media"

I like sanders but this is rediculous. Reddit is eating it up though. Already rationalizing his loss or calling for violence/merging with trump supporters. Insanity

This campagin has been a list of excuses of why he isn't doing well. Zero introspection.

I feel like you could make a case that as long as the option to "Abstain" or select "None of the Above" was readily available such a requirement would not represent an infringement of speech while still increasing turnout. Hell, if anything having concrete numbers about the number of abstain votes instead of just trying to figure out what proportion of the non-voting population is doing so ideologically as opposed to other reasons ultimately increases the expression of speech of abstention

not if my objection is that the entire voting PROCESS is corrupt.

hypothetical- if I feel the system is rigged so that my ballot is counted for the establishment no matter what I do, then staying home is the only valid course of action. showing up to vote as "abstain" would be interpreted as an endorsement for the current system, which it isn't.

forcing me to participate and express my opinion in a way the government sees fit would most certainly violate my first amendment rights. And the courts have been VERY liberal about the kinds of things that count as "speech" right now.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hillary won't lose PA and she won't win MS.

Also, Kasich is only a dream nominee now because he isn't actually a legitimate candidate. He has pretty serious weak points. So does Hillary, but no one's exploited Kasich's weak points because, let's be honest, no one needs to.

I also think Kasich would beat Hillary in a 1v1 matchup, but it wouldn't be nearly as much of a blowout as these polls suggest. He's operating a Generic GOP.

Unconstitutional imo

Would never happen, and don't think it should tbh
Why shouldn't it? It's not unconstitutional if it's opt-out instead of opt-in. That's what I'm proposing. Australia does it to great success.

There is no such argument. We compel speech in many cases, including trials. The fifth amendment allows you to abstain from testifying against yourself but not other people. Furthermore, what I'm proposing gives you the option to not vote. You must simply choose to do so.

2 years is being generous. 1 year and 5 months...Where were they all? Not voting.
By 2 years, I meant last election. So, yes.

With Voter ID laws I think we're a long way from being able to have fair mandatory voting.

What penalty are you proposing? Fines? I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Could have a tax deduction tied to it though
The voter ID law is a fair point. But this is a good way to alleviate voter suppression! If voting is mandatory then people need to tell voters they're ineligible ahead of time. Then they have ample opportunity to correct it. It's so simple and powerful.

Yes, fines. Just like Australia. Now poor people are highly incentivized to vote.

Trump would have Cruz constantly sent away to foreign countries if he were President. Or just locked in a closet somewhere.

Probably need food testers with Cruz so close by. Lol.
Keep him away from the soup!

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE:
Or just allow mobile/online voting.
Do all the things!

In other news, California should work to getting single payer health care. We are the 7th largest economy in the world. We can do it by ourselves. Jerry Brown can be swayed. He's such a budget hawk that I'm sure he'd love the savings.

This is Jerry Brown in a debate with Bill Clinton in 1992.

When I see in Canada that they pay $500 less per person, that they cover every citizen, and that they live two years longer and their infant mortality is 50 percent less – then I see a model.

Josh5890

You'd have to make it paid holiday for everyone to start with.

I wrote a paper advocating it back in high school. Have the voting hours extended from 6am to 10pm. Maybe even have longer hours then that. Pay the volunteers minimum wage for the day or figure out some way of compensation. Host most of the polling places at schools since there would be no classes. We should treat Election Day better in this country.

It almost seems like Kasich is helping Trump now, although I'm sure that probably isn't his intention. The NeverTrump crew gets split while Trump does well enough to win. Especially with Trump close to 50% in some states and national polls.

As Sam Wang pointed out, Kasich winning Ohio was the best thing to ever happen for Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wrote a paper advocating it back in high school. Have the voting hours extended from 6am to 10pm. Maybe even have longer hours then that. Pay the volunteers minimum wage for the day or figure out some way of compensation. Host most of the polling places at schools since there would be no classes. We should treat Election Day better in this country.

We really should, but it's not going to happen.

Or just allow mobile/online voting.

There's some issues with that and I don't think we can really fix them.

There is no tech company on this Earth as of now that I trust to make a hack-proof system. Voting is too important to leave vulnerable to hackers.

Not only that but people are stupid and already get their identities stolen online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom