• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Is anyone here concerned about the 2018 midterms? I looked at the Senate seats that are up that year, and it's a 25/8 split D/R (including the 2 independents on the democratic side). Does anyone know how many of these seats are relatively safe, or is it far too early to predict?

Unless the Democrats manage to fix their midterm problems, 2018 could be very ugly, certainly. Many of them are in blue states, but there are enough that are in purple or red states that it could easily tip the Senate back to the Republicans even if Democrats take it after this year's elections.

Josh5890

Is anyone here concerned about the 2018 midterms? I looked at the Senate seats that are up that year, and it's a 25/8 split D/R (including the 2 independents on the democratic side). Does anyone know how many of these seats are relatively safe, or is it far too early to predict?

Even with looking at the senators in those seats right now it is way to early. You have to see how these elections go, who takes control of the senate and more importantly the white house.

Obviously though the democrats have more to lose. But it is way to early to know anything.

And Greece then is not the west today. Combine a couple thousand years of political, historical, and technological advances and I think sortition could sing.

And if it wasn't clear already, I would be against imposing technocratic requirements upon executives, management, or people-oriented positions. That they get there at all usually is indication enough that they're qualified (knowledge of delegation of responsibility, public need, coalition-building, navigating the system, etc).

Yeah, I guess I misunderstood your post previously covering this. I generally agree.

However, well have to agree to disagree on the sortition system. Not only is it archaic, the concept would never make it through legislation.

2018 midterms are liable to be rough. There's few opportunities left to play offense and a bunch of places where the Democrats will need to play defense. Democrats made gains the last three times in that class (+4 in 2000, +6 in 2006, +2 in 2012). Let's just say I don't expect that streak to reach four.

User1608

Banned
Just comparing LA's trajectory with KY's really shows all the difference in the world between a Democrat and a Republican, even if they're both in red states and the Democrat isn't particularly liberal.

I'd like to think that Edwards pulling that off would have to result in a complete resurrection of the Democratic Party in Louisiana, but you know even if he did some Republican asshole would just come in and be like "Yeah, things are okay now, so let's cut taxes and social services to the bone!" and people would fall for it because they're notoriously shortsighted. You can never trust a red state.

That's going to be hard, given the hole they're in. Gotta feel bad for JBE but I hope his supporters stay loyal, he gets some help from a Hillary admin, etc. The republican playbook here is basically the same as the 2012 playbook: let JBE eat shit for his term and do a lot of heavy lifting, then knock him off and reap the benefits as the economy improves under a republican.
That's why I'm hoping for the best. I hate seeing people get hurt. Gah, stupid voting against their best interests.
Cruz is a moron indeed. That's why I also wouldn't mind seeing this fool get his sociopathic, bigoted, crazy ass handed to him in a GE. I will post pics of the best pizza party ever if that occurs.

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Straight
Where Are You From? New Jersey
Where Do You Live? Michigan
How Old Are you? early 20s
Favorite Type of Music? Rock, Pop, light Electronic, and mixtures thereof. Favorite bands include Muse, Stereo Alchemy, and Modest Mouse.
Profession or Career interest? Pursuing a degree in Economics. May go for finance in postgrad.
Favorite video game(s)? Civilization, Metroid Prime, Jak and Daxter, Super Smash Bros, Bioshock
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Exercising, Politics, Magic the Gathering
Politics: Centrist overall on economic issues. I'm liberal in some areas and conservative in others. Pretty liberal on social issues. Very pro-immigration, LGBT rights, criminal justice reform.

I think at this point most Bernie supporters at least on some level accept the reality of his situation, but between this and the fraud image it's clearly not 100%.

The logic here seems to be "Washington is on the West Coast, California is on the West Coast, so the California primary should turn out like the Washington caucus." I like the way they refer to breaking even in the other states as though that would be below expectations for Bernie.

As for the fraud image, I imagine the person who made it spends a lot of time in echo chambers and simply can't conceive of people voting differently from the way they do. Therefore, the only way their preferred candidate can lose is through fraud. I'm glad I didn't buy into any of the exit poll based conspiracy theories that made the rounds after the 2004 election.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, I guess I misunderstood your post previously covering this. I generally agree.

However, well have to agree to disagree on the sortition system. Not only is it archaic, the concept would never make it through legislation.
Archaic isn't pejorative, though there are certainly parts of the Athenian system that are best left in the dustbin of history (slavery, denial of franchise to women, etc). Nor would it be sensible to apply it a la carte to a political system's branches without extensive modification and for-purpose checks and balances.

Complicated work that could take decades, if ever a legislature was amenable and desirous.

Not trying to sound cocky, but there is no one here that I'm like, though there are posters here that I think are pretty cool, like retro.

However, there's that meta guy who people always compare me to because the both of us tend to have a penchant for pointing out semantical distinctions, and we both can drag out debates. But I've grown tired of doing both of those things here, so I feel like meta and I don't share much in common either.

I very much feel like an outcast here, and the sad part is that in terms of the issues, most of us are on the same page, yet it's the least acknowledged factor of our commonality in these threads.
Please! Everyone does

pigeon

Banned
Those of you refusing to post more info about yourselves are no fun :p

I don't really want people to be able to connect my NeoGAF posts with my personal life or my career..

(Admittedly I'm pretty sure anybody who really wanted to could already do so by putting together all the stuff I already revealed at various points, but there's no reason to collect all the information in one place for convenience!)

ampere

There's reason to worry, but right now best to focus on this election. Midterm turnout by dems is always bad

So, I don't now if many in here are aware, but last night Beyonce released her new album, Lemonade. This album has shocked the world by being near-completely about Jay Z cheating on her. In a few songs, she makes several vague references to Jay Z's mistresses. None of whom are Monica Lewinsky, but still.

Earlier this evening, Monica tweeted this:

HXSUlda.png

Hopefully Hillary continues to do what she has been doing and ignores it. But still...I'm dying.

Damn, didn't know about that. Saw something about Beyonce on HBO as I put on GoT though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not too worried about posting that stuff as I've covered my tracks pretty well.

Your gender? I'm a banana
Your race? I'm a banana
Your sexual orientation? I'm a banana
Where Are You From? I'm a banana
How Old Are you? I'm a banana
Favorite Type of Music? I'm a banana
Profession or Career interest? I'm a banana
Favorite video game(s)? I'm a banana
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? I'm a banana
Politics: I'm a banana

You're my favorite poster in this thread, I just want you to know that.

Please! Everyone does

Which makes it all the more impressive! :p

I don't really want people to be able to connect my NeoGAF posts with my personal life or my career..

(Admittedly I'm pretty sure anybody who really wanted to could already do so by putting together all the stuff I already revealed at various points, but there's no reason to collect all the information in one place for convenience!)

I actually feel the same way, but I have never revealed my actual identity to GAF (never posted any pictures of myself or revealed my name), so I'm totally fine with them knowing my general career field, basic demographics, and personal preferences.

The personal factoids in this thread are incredibly valuable in terms of community building and I can already see that I have a lot more in common with all of you than I previously felt that I did.

When we can establish a common ground, it makes for fertile and productive conversation, and we're less inclined to have discussions based on unsubstantiated and preconceived notions.

Either way, we're going to perceive a persona for each any every person in this community, so those perceptions might as well be based on facts :)

Meh, there are only eight black people in Seattle, so you might be able to track me down, but I used to have a Facebook account, so too much about me is out there already.

I hope this public Cruz/Kasich deal comes off as dirty pool to GOP voters and backfires so that Trump takes IN.

Maengun1

The centrist media trying to ignore Cruz while Cruz is running a campaign that even David Duke would blanch at is getting weird, honestly.

It drives me nuts, too. I thought Cruz would be shoved off the national stage immediately but it's more like

-Cruz surrogate says gays should be executed
-Cruz says he's going to 'find out if sand glows in the dark' from middle east nuclear strikes
-Media: "Wow that Donald Trump sure is outrageous!!! Can Ted Cruz stop him in time???"

would be funny if it weren't so terrifying, etc.

Kasich canceled all of his Indiana events.

I think he's dropping out. I know they just did that new strategy thing but I honestly think it's because he's dropping.

Kasich canceled all of his Indiana events.

I think he's dropping out. I know they just did that new strategy thing but I honestly think it's because he's dropping.

Probably looked at the district maps and realized that he's not stealing any Trump delegates. If that's the case, why bother staying in? The "beat Trump" plan has sailed months ago, so now it's obviously about spoiling the first ballot. Kasich's campaign has outlived its usefulness.

And I'm a married white guy who researches and teaches math at Ole Miss.

NeoXChaos

Probably looked at the district maps and realized that he's not stealing any Trump delegates. If that's the case, why bother staying in? The "beat Trump" plan has sailed months ago, so now it's obviously about spoiling the first ballot. Kasich's campaign has outlived its usefulness.

And I'm a married white guy who researches and teaches math at Ole Miss.

*proceeds to look on website.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

would you at least confirm that you are not running for president?

Following that very disturbing Chicago Election Board video, which included testimony from Dr. Lora Chamberlain on what appeared to be blatant election fraud (Brainchild, now this has sunk in, what's your take on this? I'm starting to think along the lines of we, together with the American public, are the unwitting participants in a cynical farce), we move to New York...

So, when Alba Guerrero tried to vote in the Democratic NY primary, she was told she registered as a Republican, in 04, and so wasn't eligible. Only thing is, she actually registered in 08, to vote for Obama, and on her recent move to Queens, she re-registered and confirmed her registration online, on March 9.

But the birdie gods were watching over her, and after a judge at the Queens County Board of Elections initially told her, hard cheddar, she happened to spot a document with all her details, including SSN, plus a fucking forged signature, and Judge Margulis apologized profusely (well, he should have done), and finally, she was able to cast her vote as a Democrat:

This stinks to high heaven, and likely only someone with official access could have pulled this off, and from all accounts, it is by no means an isolated incident, and unlike Alba, how many would go to such lengths to vote (for Bernie :) ), plus have luck on their side.

Here's the full story: Failure, Fraud, and More In New York’s Punk Rock Voting Disaster.

Daniel B·;201811611 said:
Following that very disturbing Chicago Election Board video, which included testimony from Dr. Lora Chamberlain on what appeared to be blatant election fraud (Brainchild, now this has sunk in, what's your take on this? I'm starting to think along the lines of we, together with the American public, are the unwitting participants in a cynical farce), we move to New York...

So, when Alba Guerrero tried to vote in the Democratic NY primary, she was told she registered as a Republican, in 04, and so wasn't eligible. Only thing is, she actually registered in 08, to vote for Obama, and on her recent move to Queens, she re-registered and confirmed her registration online, on March 9.

But the birdie gods were watching over her, and after a judge at the Queens County Board of Elections initially told her, hard chedder, she happened to spot a document with all her details, including SSN, plus a fucking forged signature, and Judge Margulis apologized profusely (well, he should have done), and finally, she was able to cast her vote as a Democrat:

This stinks to high heaven, and likely only someone with official access could have pulled this off, and from all accounts, it is by no means an isolated incident, and unlike Alba, how many would go to such lengths to vote (for Bernie :) ), plus have luck on their side.

Here's the full story: Failure, Fraud, and More In New York’s Punk Rock Voting Disaster.
I have never read a post of yours and not been entertained. Shine on you crazy diamond, is there a gofundme to buy you a ps4 I can contribute to
And I thought he was talking about me
I seriously doubted it lol
Well he never said which one of us

By all means :p

And the GOP are idiots. They have literally no concept of optics, and it's working overtime for Trump right now. Guy is getting his base riled up for free!

My brother on Ted Cruz announcing the deal with Kasich to everyone:

use backdoor dealings! do you not how to do it because you've never had anyone else willing to be alone in a room with you???

I'm fucking dead.

Lyin' Ted and Kasich are mathematically dead and totally desperate. Their donors & special interest groups are not happy with them. Sad!

Sad!

And I thought he was talking about me
I seriously doubted it lol

Honestly, I didn't even know you existed before today. Sorry :(

Daniel B·;201811611 said:

But the birdie gods were watching over her, and after a judge at the Queens County Board of Elections initially told her, hard cheddar, she happened to spot a document with all her details, including SSN, plus a fucking forged signature, and Judge Margulis apologized profusely (well, he should have done), and finally, she was able to cast her vote as a Democrat:

Not a fan of conspiracy theories (unless they're in movies or TV shows) but the structural integrity of the voting system has been shit for decades and is imploding on itself. There needs to be better accountability and oversight, and we need voting booths that weren't manufactured during the Victorian era.

pigeon

Banned
I actually feel the same way, but I have never revealed my actual identity to GAF (never posted any pictures of myself or revealed my name), so I'm totally fine with them knowing my general career field, basic demographics, and personal preferences.

The personal factoids in this thread are incredibly valuable in terms of community building and I can already see that I have a lot more in common with all of you than I previously felt that I did.

When we can establish a common ground, it makes for fertile and productive conversation, and we're less inclined to have discussions based on unsubstantiated and preconceived notions.

Either way, we're going to perceive a persona for each any every person in this community, so those perceptions might as well be based on facts :)

Okay, here are three valuable personality facts about me:

* As a gamer I am focused heavily on systems over content or presentation. I play a lot of roguelikes, the real ones, with text. By contrast charlequin bought me The Beginner's Guide and I still haven't run it once.
* I am having serious doubts about Kimmy Schmidt season 2. The therapy section is interesting so far but I feel like it kind of runs against the whole transgressive point of season 1 which is that Kimmy was a female character defined neither by societal expectations or by her personal trauma. Season 2 is like both of those!
* I always wear button-downs to work -- as a winter, I generally prefer jewel tones, and I am working on plaids -- but I only wear Crocs ever because otherwise my feet get sore. (Not plastic Crocs, normal loafer Crocs, but they're just really comfortable)

NOW YOU KNOW ALL MY SECRETS

saltypickles

Neo Member
Why is the GOP so stupid? The two remaining campaigns shouldn't admit they're conspiring against Trump right before a Tuesday where he is favored heavily to sweep!

Trump's victory speech on Tuesday will be legendary.

Crocodile

Cg2kHzAU4AAUvc2.jpg

Cg2km77WYAAnLtJ.jpg

The most desperate campaigns of all time.

This is like that shonen anime trope where the "villain" explains in excruciating detail to the "hero" how their special power(s) work. Then they get all surprised when they get their shit pushed in. "What went wrong?!?!" they think to themselves as their teeth are getting knocked out of their skull LMAO.

Why is the GOP so stupid? The two remaining campaigns shouldn't admit they're conspiring against Trump right before a Tuesday where he is favored heavily to sweep!

Trump's victory speech on Tuesday will be legendary.

I mean, every Republican politician is this stupid though.

Jeb literally told every media member that he was going to betray Rubio and use Rubio's poor Congressional attendance against him in the fourth debate days before the debate, allowing Rubio's programmers to come up with a comeback in time for the debate.

The stupidity is a large part of the reason why Trump (despite being an idiot) has done so well.

Okay, here are three valuable personality facts about me:

* As a gamer I am focused heavily on systems over content or presentation. I play a lot of roguelikes, the real ones, with text. By contrast charlequin bought me The Beginner's Guide and I still haven't run it once.
* I am having serious doubts about Kimmy Schmidt season 2. The therapy section is interesting so far but I feel like it kind of runs against the whole transgressive point of season 1 which is that Kimmy was a female character defined neither by societal expectations or by her personal trauma. Season 2 is like both of those!
* I always wear button-downs to work -- as a winter, I generally prefer jewel tones, and I am working on plaids -- but I only wear Crocs ever because otherwise my feet get sore. (Not plastic Crocs, normal loafer Crocs, but they're just really comfortable)

NOW YOU KNOW ALL MY SECRETS

All very interesting factoids. Thanks for sharing!

I loved the first season of Kimmy Schmidt, so your impressions don't exactly inspire confidence that the new season will be good, but I hope that it will be anyway!

saltypickles

Neo Member
I mean, every Republican politician is this stupid though.

Jeb literally told every media member that he was going to betray Rubio and use Rubio's poor Congressional attendance against him in the fourth debate days before the debate, allowing Rubio's programmers to come up with a comeback in time for the debate.

The stupidity is a large part of the reason why Trump (despite being an idiot) has done so well.

What morons. They all think they're Ozymandias from Watchmen when they're actually just badly written Saturday morning cartoon bad guys.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Not a fan of conspiracy theories (unless they're in movies or TV shows) but the structural integrity of the voting system has been shit for decades and is imploding on itself. There needs to be better accountability and oversight, and we need voting booths that weren't manufactured during the Victorian era.

Why does that matter? The real issue is those electronic systems with no paper trail.

The ideal voting system is one where you fill it out on a digital screen, then his the finish button. This prints out your ballot, where you scan it in to be counted and hit confirm. The printed ballot is stored in case it's needed.

There are actual systems that don't have a paper trail, and thus no way to audit things. The trite shit that Daniel B posted is really evidence of nothing. That would indicate that state officials were forging signatures, and for what? There is no way to tell who would vote for who. Your voting record consists of if you voted, and nothing else. I don't even think it has demographic data on file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom