• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's assume that the worst case scenario of all this true. How does this even work constitutionally? Can they impeach him before he even takes the oath of office? And if so do they impeach Pence as well bringing us to President Paul Ryan?

So yeah, worst case scenario, I still think the GOP drags its feet (with good reason) so as to avoid the constitutional crisis. If you just wait 2 weeks and then impeach, you're good. If you desperately need him gone by then, you privately tell him he's getting impeached if he doesn't immediately resign. If Pence is around, he's POTUS. If he's gone too, then yeah, it's Ryan.

Okay, let's assume that the worst case scenario of all this true. How does this even work constitutionally? Can they impeach him before he even takes the oath of office? And if so do they impeach Pence as well bringing us to President Paul Ryan?

Actually this would be insane and probably the worst possible outcome. It would be a million times worse than 2000 or the "lost electoral vote but won popular vote" issue we are already in. Average people would expect the presidency to go to Hillary if the Republican ticket gets elimated and would see President Ryan as a corrupt/illegitimate result even if it's the constitutionally ordained process.

Most people would approach it like sports, if the top finisher is disqualified it should to the runner up, not some guy who wasn't even competing in the race.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What a sad state we're in if our leader is being blackmailed by (or colluded with) a foreign government who helped get him elected in the first place.

Actually this would be insane and probably the worst possible outcome. It would be a million times worse than 2000 or the "lost electoral vote but won popular vote" issue we are already in. Average people would expect the presidency to go to Hillary if the Republican ticket gets elimated and would see President Ryan as a corrupt/illegitimate result even if it's the constitutionally ordained process.

Most people would approach it like sports, if the top finisher is disqualified it should to the runner up, not some guy who wasn't even competing in the race.

there would probably be way more outrage and violence if Hillary was expected to fill in, tbh

Anyway Pence and Ryan would both be better than Trump if only for the fact they would be harder to re-elect because they lack the enthusiastic base Trump had.

Debirudog

Well, that's good. Make the average liberal outraged over this illegitimate election.

daedalius

I was just chilling with my kids tonight watching the Obama farewell speech, then I check gaf and see stuff about trump piss videos.

This is all fucking crazy

there would probably be way more outrage and violence if Hillary was expected to fill in, tbh

Anyway Pence and Ryan would both be better than Trump if only for the fact they would be harder to re-elect because they lack the enthusiastic base Trump had.

If Trump gets ousted the Republicans will lose almost every election for the next decade or so. You think the people are going to ignore that they refused to follow up on these claims every step of the way and in the end all fell in line behind someone propped up by the actions of a hostile foreign leader? If Trump gets ousted we see even the reddest of Senate seats go from Safely Red to Leans Red over night, and anyone running as a Democrat wins everything else in 2018. Then 2020 comes and the Democrats put up the most honest and genuine person they can and that candidate wins with 2008 Obama numbers over someone like Pence who spent months defending a guy who committed fucking TREASON.

Geist-

Best reaction to Trump story yet.

4qieXG5.jpg

BanGy.nz

Banned
girl don't be mad at the King of Rap because your relic Mariah can't even lip sync without embarrassing herself anymore
RUSSIAN HACKERS HACKED HER MICROPHONE! FAKE NEWS!?! RUSSIAN TROLLS!! LIES! PUTIN IS TRYING TO DESTORY HER! KEEP THIS UP AND I'LL SEND BERNIE INTO THE SUN!!!

Congrats to Bill O'Reilly for winning the news cycle lottery with this one. No cares that he settled a sexual harassment case because Trump and his people may have committed some light treason.

Diablos

The way he walked off the stage kind of sad while his wife had to help put an extra stride in his step spoke volumes...

This whole thing is like a bad dream that won't end.

Except she won the popular vote

*ducks*

JP_

Banned
Out of curiosity, is anybody aware of any way to have a special election for president? Would we need to first amend the constitution to add a way to trigger/hold it?

Here's the thing - if say, I don't know, Mark Cuban had just shockingly won the election along with heavy Congressional majorities and it came out that he was in bed with Russia, you don't think every Republican and right win talk radio wouldn't be saying that the Republican loser of the election should become President via whatever measures were necessary (ie. naming them as Speaker and impeaching the Democratic POTUS and VP ticket)?

Of course they would and that's how they win - because they play hardball.

You can't just arbitrarily decide who the successor is. The constitution is clear on the line of succession. If Hillary became "president" over this, it would mean that basically all of our laws are meaningless now.

You can't just arbitrarily decide who the successor is. The constitution is clear on the line of succession. If Hillary became "president" over this, it would mean that basically all of our laws are meaningless now.

Why? If she's named as Speaker of the House by a majority vote of the body (since anybody can be Speaker) and both the President and Vice President are impeached, she's the next in line. Completely according to the Constitution.

Of course, the modern GOP would never do this, but I could easily see the modern GOP making the modern DNC do this if the situation was reversed.

Fedelias

I can't tell if we're even more fucked or if things are slightly looking up. These next few days/weeks should be interesting no matter what now.

faisal233

Why? If she's named as Speaker of the House by a majority vote of the body (since anybody can be Speaker) and both the President and Vice President are impeached, she's the next in line. Completely according to the Constitution.

Of course, the modern GOP would never do this, but I could easily see the modern GOP making the modern DNC do this if the situation was reversed.
That would happen either.

Am I missing something with the OT title? Mad Dog is a terrible choice, I mean maybe relatively he's ok but he's still a militant islamaphobe.

studyguy

I agree OT needs to be renamed. Forecast: Heavy Showers & Hot Wind

He's going to have a twitter meltdown at 3am tomorrow, isn't he?

There's a staffer hidden in a bathroom trying to keep Trump from getting his cell back right now regretting his hiding spot after reading this dossier.

Am I missing something with the OT title? Mad Dog is a terrible choice, I mean maybe relatively he's ok but he's still a militant islamaphobe.
He's an hawk on Iran, which is concerning when combined with the rest of the cabinet, but he otherwise doesn't seem that Islamophobic? He's pro-two state solution and made sure his people took cultural sensitivity courses before deploying to the Middle East.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile at Fox News.com: TOP STORY

lol
Meanwhile at RT, "Ain't that a p*sser? #GoldenShowers trends after unverified report of Trump sexcapades" is fairly prominent on the front page, and sums up the events pretty well.

Go figure.

Pixieking

Banned

It's not only Trump who got elected through foreign intervention, it's Pence too. The entirety of the ticket would be tainted - people voted for Trump, not Pence, but he still gained from the Russian influence.

I think, really, the only way to do it which doesn't send the US into a death spiral is to hand it to Hillary, because this whole election result is now clearly corrupt as fuck. And, shockingly, the only people who come out of this looking clean is the loser and her VP choice.

I decided to kill myself and watch Hillary's concession speech again.

I know that feeling... On the one hand, it's so unutterably depressing. On the other hand, gracious and amazing as fuck.

mo60

It's not only Trump who got elected through foreign intervention, it's Pence too. The entirety of the ticket would be tainted - people voted for Trump, not Pence, but he still gained from the Russian influence.

I think, really, the only way to do it which doesn't send the US into a death spiral is to hand it to Hillary, because this whole election result is now clearly corrupt as fuck. And, shockingly, the only people who come out of this looking clean is the loser and her VP choice.

I know that feeling... On the one hand, it's so unutterably depressing. On the other hand, gracious and amazing as fuck.

I rather not hand the hilary the presidency unless something bombshell worthy releases in the next 10 days or so that affects the entire republican party. Like I said before this russia story will haunt trump in many different forms in the next four years or so. It may define his presidency and possibly destroy any chance of him winning in four years time.

Pixieking

Banned
I rather not hand the hilary the presidency unless something bombshell worthy releases in the next 10 days or so that affects the entire republican party. Like I said before this russia story will haunt trump in many different forms in the next four years or so. It may define his presidency and possibly destroy any chance of him winning in four years time.

*nods* That's fair. My suggestion is the "cleanest" but also the most chaotic. To be honest, if this were any other country - especially one new to democracy, like a former military dictatorship - Western countries and the UN would be crying out for a new and impartial election, with independent election observers. Imagine this kind of thing going down in, oh, I dunno, Cuba, Myanmar, or the Congo.

But, yeah, it's hard to say what the "best" route is here. If these claims are true, then Trump's administration is illegitimate, and will hurt minorities, social causes and the economy, even if it is illegitimate. But keeping Trump in power means that every single Republican politician owns everything that happens, and will conceivably kill the party faster than any racial/generational change coming.

This would go nuclear if he cancels. I hope he does. Instead we'll just have to hear him complain about the media and call this all a bunch of lies.

A normal person would issue a statement on it at the start and not take questions on it after. This is Trump who must be fuming that he is getting made fun of all over SM and news, so he will not be able to not bitch about it at the presser.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I've pretty much shut out all politics since the election but man this is some wild shit. I literally have no idea what is going to happen now.

What if Trump just straight resigns before he is sworn in? How far does this go?

mAcOdIn

And how would handing the thing over to Hillary do less damage to the US than removing Trump?

Whatever comes from this story, if true, the damage is done, period. But the United States will not fall. Neither Trump, Pence nor the rank and file Republicans can really afford to be seen as pro-Russia at this point regardless of the facts of the story.

Further, might I add that no matter Russia's influence Trump still won on his own twisted merits. The DNC email's were real. The bullshit Trump spewed on a constant basis that was constantly false was just blatantly false and Russia couldn't give it any more credence if they wanted to. Hillary's email investigation, the importance of which can be debated of course, was real. The players may all suck in this game but none of the cards were fake if that makes sense. Trump and his circles' ties to Russia was already known. People more or less accept he's hiding shit in his tax returns, even his supporters think that. He had already got caught in scandals of his own. He got called a puppet on the debate stage on live TV. It's not like the populace was ignorant of this, they didn't care.

So I'm not sure what bringing the UN and other Western countries into this does, I mean right now Russia's funding advertising and shit into them right now too! We also do the same. Sucks to get bit by our own tactics but I digress, live by the sword and we can die by the sword I guess. I'm also not sure exactly where we go with this because many Americans have no problems with, say, Israel influencing our politics and elected officials bending over backwards to their desires. That's been going on for a long time and in my opinion just as disgusting.

Further, if this stuff can not be verified to a reasonable degree what kind of signal would it send for elections after this? Could any outgoing administration slander the incoming one with allegations and invalidate the election? This stuff needs to be fucking ironclad before anyone talks about doing anything.

There is a russian word for collecting compromising evidence to be used against politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompromat

Kompromat (Russian: компромат, short for компрометирующий материал, literally "compromising material") is the Russian term for compromising materials about a politician or other public figure. Such materials can be used to create negative publicity, for blackmail, or for ensuring loyalty.

And how would handing the thing over to Hillary do less damage to the US than removing Trump?

Whatever comes from this story, if true, the damage is done, period. But the United States will not fall. Neither Trump, Pence nor the rank and file Republicans can really afford to be seen as pro-Russia at this point regardless of the facts of the story.

Further, might I add that no matter Russia's influence Trump still won on his own twisted merits. The DNC email's were real. The bullshit Trump spewed on a constant basis that was constantly false was just blatantly false and Russia couldn't give it any more credence if they wanted to. Hillary's email investigation, the importance of which can be debated of course, was real. The players may all suck in this game but none of the cards were fake if that makes sense. Trump and his circles' ties to Russia was already known. People more or less accept he's hiding shit in his tax returns, even his supporters think that. He had already got caught in scandals of his own. He got called a puppet on the debate stage on live TV. It's not like the populace was ignorant of this, they didn't care.

So I'm not sure what bringing the UN and other Western countries into this does, I mean right now Russia's funding advertising and shit into them right now too! We also do the same. Sucks to get bit by our own tactics but I digress, live by the sword and we can die by the sword I guess. I'm also not sure exactly where we go with this because many Americans have no problems with, say, Israel influencing our politics and elected officials bending over backwards to their desires. That's been going on for a long time and in my opinion just as disgusting.

Further, if this stuff can not be verified to a reasonable degree what kind of signal would it send for elections after this? Could any outgoing administration slander the incoming one with allegations and invalidate the election? This stuff needs to be fucking ironclad before anyone talks about doing anything.
46% of the country's voting populace didn't care. The challenge is getting that 54% to coalesce around a single candidate, as well as winning crossover votes from people who voted solely on the economy or for "change" as well as inspiring any voters who sat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom