• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeVos shows you can get really far as an extremely stupid woman who is heiress to a pyramid scheme and brother to a war criminal, but not as far as an extremely stupid man in the same position.

Bannon seems to want a war. Just depends on whether someone finally steps up and tells him no. Thus far no one has.

They better hope Bannon doesn't get the war he wants because the American people aren't going to stomach yet another war under completely inept leadership.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not. Their track record in this department sucks

I'll go with who the democratic base wants

Eh. I think that's a little far. There was clearly a differing of strategy that was desired by Biden last election compared to what Hillary was doing, so I trust he knowsaid what people still need.

Because of that test a few days ago and Trump has a boner for Iran. Just wait till North Korea tests something.

I mean, that's not much of a reason to start a land war in Yemen!

But it really looks like we're going to do a land invasion of Yemen to help Saudi Arabia conquer the nation.

But Hillary was bought and sold by Saudi Arabia and her emails, etc.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I mean, that's not much of a reason to start a land war in Yemen!

But it really looks like we're going to do a land invasion of Yemen to help Saudi Arabia conquer the nation.

But Hillary was bought and sold by Saudi Arabia and her emails, etc.

Bannon probably sees a war as a way to stay in control and get what they want. Plus that raid a few days ago didn't it take place in Yemen?

Can public support even handle a war right now/soon? Do people really want pointless shit like this again after Iraq?

No. It's dumb. The support isn't there. Even the support among Trump's base isn't there. A lot of people elected him because he's an isolationist, not because he wanted to go to war.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
C3mg6q9WIAUwniD.jpg:large

Can public support even handle a war right now/soon? Do people really want pointless shit like this again after Iraq?

The general American public would be extremely supportive.

But Trump's team is incompetent so we would get a lot of American soldiers dying for no reason other than government incompetence and the American people would not be happy about that.

Blader

It would be cool if Collins, Flake and uh some other magical Republican changed parties

A man can dream

Has Flake gave any clue he would vote against DeVos?

Murkowski had reservations about her in committee, like Collins did. I don't know why they would vote to move her to the floor but then choose to vote no on the floor, but that's what Collins did, so maybe there's hope for Murkowski too.

edit: oh shit. and there it is :lol

Barzul

Bradd JaffyVerified account
‏@BraddJaffy

GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski announces she is a NO on education secretary nominee Betsy DeVos; GOP Sen. Susan Collins also NO. DeVos may go down.

You can't just declare a war without some kind of consent from Congress right? Or are Dems even powerless to prevent that?

President is basically free to a large array of military actions without congressional approval. Last time we declared war is WWII.

Now, there is the War Powers Act, which is meant to give Congress the ability to override the president's abilities to a degree, but it's never been tested constitutionally. I just imagine trump would ignore it anyway.

The general American public would be extremely supportive.

But Trump's team is incompetent so we would get a lot of American soldiers dying for no reason other than government incompetence and the American people would not be happy about that.

Really? You think so? I don't see any Democrats or Independents being supportive of a land war and even half of Trump's base probably wouldn't be able to stomach it.

Has Flake gave any clue he would vote against DeVos?

Murkowski had reservations about her in committee, like Collins did. I don't know why they would vote to move her to the floor but then choose to vote no on the floor, but that's what Collins did, so maybe there's hope for Murkowski too.

edit: oh shit. and there it is :lol

Flake is a libertarian who hates the disabled so I have to feel that he's completely on-board with DeVos.

I mean, Flake is more reasonable in most areas than almost all Republicans, but this....

Tarydax

Banned

I liked these lines a lot:

If Democrats started winning nationwide using GOP talking points and positions, the GOP would pivot to a wedge where the Dems won't follow.

You're trying to match them on ~*economic anxiety*~ but they can just scream "THEY WANT TO KILL YOUR BABIES & TEACH YOUR KIDS SEX & SHARIA!"

They also show why NBC's attempt to be the next Fox is never going to work. Why settle for a copy when you can get the real thing?

UberTag

Spicer is actually handling this question about the State department dissent cable rather capably.
Capably by his low standards, at least.

Blader

I hope that part of the calculus for Collins and Murkowski in voting no is that they're confident they won't be the only ones voting against DeVos. That's a ton of heat to bring on yourself, when you're just two out of 52.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
HOLY SHIT!?!?!? Right Wing Radio during the white press briefing/,,,,,

"Hey should we be cutting down more trees for land instead of fighting forest fires?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom