• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the states the have deep ties to the Mexican economy? I figured Texas does. If it is quite a few I imagine the US economy either will slow or go into a recession, mostly due to the border states getting hurt bad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A problem I've harped on here several times by now is left-leaning voters fall for the "checks and balances" crap all the fucking time. Feingold won enough crossover Trump voters that he would have won if the Clinton voters didn't split their goddamn tickets, something they likely felt okay with because Clinton winning seemed like a foregone conclusion.

Plus side, there are more of us, and a Republican president is in charge. If the theme of 2018 is checks and balances, we've got a lot to gain.
Accurate. The time has long been over for pretending that reality matches the idealistic view of American government and politics that we may have learned about in grade school.

If you get to your ballot and vote based on potential idealized balances of elected officials, you're doing it wrong.

Also Vermont. I never heard the story behind that.
between the Vermont Progressives and the Democrats in the state legislature, they can mostly do what they want by overriding the governor if they need to, so an appealing Republican can win votes because they're not worried about them fucking up the place.

That attitude needs to go though.

Also fun fact: Vermont has the most successful third party in the country, as far as I can tell.

What are the states the have deep ties to the Mexican economy? I figured Texas does. If it is quite a few I imagine the US economy either will slow or go into a recession, mostly due to the border states getting hurt bad.

It's more than border states
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/these-states-would-get-hurt-most-in-a-trump-trade-war.html

In order
Michigan
Texas
North Dakota
Kentucky
Indiana
Vermont
Ohio
Tennessee
Arizona
Louisiana
Illionis
Iowa
Alabama
Wisconsin
South Carolina

I would add South California to that list. Mexicans are so ingrained in this region it's basically Mexico 2.0

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/these-states-would-get-hurt-most-in-a-trump-trade-war.html

In order
Michigan
Texas
North Dakota
Kentucky
Indiana
Vermont
Ohio
Tennessee
Arizona
Louisiana
Illionis
Iowa
Alabama
Wisconsin
South Carolina

I would add South California to that list. Mexicans are so ingrained in this region it's basically Mexico 2.0

There are only two states on that list that voted against Trump, omg.

Oh, lots of these states rely on trade with Canada which the article also measures.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/02/judge-orders-halt-to-trumps-immigration-executive-order/

Seems to neuter the order in a significant way; but some parts are still not struck down.

In order
Michigan
Texas
North Dakota
Kentucky
Indiana
Vermont
Ohio
Tennessee
Arizona
Louisiana
Illionis
Iowa
Alabama
Wisconsin
South Carolina

So basically a recession .

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I mean they could have done that for the past 6 years instead of voting for a repeal.
Yep. Or they could have come to the table and gotten some concessions they wanted for a better law to begin with.

Tha fuck is South California?

Southern California or SoCal breh ;)

Gruco

Banned
Nuke the filibuster. Nuke it, nuke it, nuke it.

If Trump and a stolen Supreme Court seat is not worth filibustering, then nothing will be. With the threat of the nuclear option hanging over everything, the GOP already has de-facto unrestrained power anyways. Ditch the charade. Nuke it.
Exactly this. Cut through the bullshit. Get rid of preemptive suurender. Let the American people see what the parties stand for. Let legislation work. Don't let the Democrats be a fig leaf for Republicans who don't want to cooperate with Trump.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There are only two states on that list that voted against Trump, omg.

Oh, lots of these states rely on trade with Canada which the article also measures.
What else is new? The same states whine about the federal government despite receiving more than they put in.

god i can't wait till the moronic republicans in congress think we should reinstate the draft for all the wars trump wants to fight.

like it shouldn't happen and no one will want it but i bet someone will think it's a good idea and run with it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
At this point I'm just hoping that you guys will be too stretched fighting wars against China, Iran, Mexico, etc., to invade Canada too.

Wilsongt

At this point I'm just hoping that you guys will be too stretched fighting wars against China, Iran, Mexico, etc., to invade Canada too.

You have oil.

The Orange Menance is coming.

But it would just be a repeat of Hilter going into Russia. Rednecks from the south don't handle the cold well.

You have oil.

But it would just be a repeat of Hilter going into Russia. Rednecks from the south don't handle the cold well.

Almost all of the Canadian people live like 10 miles away from America.

Your supply lines would not need to be long at all to invade Canada, it's a very different situation than invading Soviet Russia (which has land forever before reaching key areas).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No one is safe.

8f6.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
You have oil.

Russia was a military power...Canada is well Canada...it would be over in like a week if we wanted to annex you.

People keep pretending that an impulsive violent man obsessed with sneak attacks isn't going to start a major war that kills thousands of American soldiers and it would be so funny if it wasn't so sad.

Maybe next time troops and their families won't vote for a violent psychopath that views them as pawns!

REMEMBER THIS GUY

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-comey-hillary-clinton_us_58617933e4b0eb586486f317

The late-deciding voters breaking for Trump weren’t just Republicans. Andrew Bagley, 40, a diehard supporter of both President Barack Obama and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he found Trump’s every utterance “abhorrent.” But he voted for him anyway, even as gay family members expressed fear to him that Trump would treat them “as second-class citizens.”

It wasn’t Comey’s letter that convinced him. It was foreign policy.

“I think Trump is far less likely to get us involved in endless war in the Middle East,” Bagley, a native of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, said. “And the thing to me that is most important is not getting into unnecessary wars. Trump might be more likely to press the nuclear button than Hillary. But I put the chances of a nuclear war at 0.00001 percent. I put chances of a war in the Middle East with Hillary at nearly 100 percent.”

Village

Don't worry. Were only going to invade the middle east. Trump will just say a bunch of vile shit about everywhere else, nothing will be done. Billions of dollars will be wasted, we will loose allies, and then we will have a new democratic president.

And then everyone will blame everything trump did, on that poor soul.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Russia was a military power...Canada is well Canada...it would be over in like a week if we wanted to annex you.

You'd have to occupy us and we have so much territory that, barring mass genocide, you wouldn't be able to deal with the gorilla resistance fighters long term.

People keep pretending that an impulsive violent man obsessed with sneak attacks isn't going to start a major war that kills thousands of American soldiers and it would be so funny if it wasn't so sad.

Maybe next time troops and their families won't vote for a violent psychopath that views them as pawns!

I mean, if Trump actually DOES start wars with Iran, Mexico, Yemen, and Iraq, then he's guaranteeing that we have a repeat of the 60s in terms of protests.

It's not like Afghanistan where you can point to a specific terrorist attack to justify things.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Today is really one of those holy shit a lot happened days. Especially since California is recommending Charles Manson get released. Read the article wrong just a follwer of him.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Well Trump is pissing off Australia too.

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that, “This was the worst call by far.”

This is the worst deal ever,” Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was “going to get killed” politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the “next Boston bombers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...d_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.82f7fd7d401c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom