• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Nuke the filibuster. Nuke it, nuke it, nuke it.

If Trump and a stolen Supreme Court seat is not worth filibustering, then nothing will be. With the threat of the nuclear option hanging over everything, the GOP already has de-facto unrestrained power anyways. Ditch the charade. Nuke it.

I mean, even if DeVos is confirmed, we can write ads about Cruz and Flake and Heller now saying that "these people were the deciding vote for THIS woman to run our public schools!" since DeVos seems to be an extremely hated figure in all areas from what I've seen.

Teachers' union can be a bit fired up in 2018 against those three.

(Are there teachers' unions in Texas?)

I mean, even if DeVos is confirmed, we can write ads about Cruz and Flake and Heller now saying that "these people were the deciding vote for THIS woman to run our public schools!" since DeVos seems to be an extremely hated figure in all areas from what I've seen.
Since national right-to-work is a thing the GOP is pushing now, maybe we should run on a law prohibiting right-to-work laws.

Heh, just kidding, we'll have President Booker trying to crush teacher unions in 2020.

There is no filibuster right now, so nuking it does nothing. To Trump it just doesn't exist and he's not politically savvy to understand why you'd even want to keep it. If you don't think they'll nuke it at the first sign of any obstruction then you're fooling yourself. All voting him in does is make Dems look weak, that's literally it.

Man, teacher unions are really good if they have power. My dad almost lost his job over nothing because our teacher union has been so defanged.

I'm a left wing guy who gets why we need unions, but I think (at least in my experience as a teacher from a family of teachers) that most teachers complain about their unions and don't like them. The reasons for that don't mean that unions should go away, but this is very similar to the "Clinton should've argued why to vote for her, not against them." Unions need to actually argue effectively to their members that they actually bring them value.

I've never gotten the impression that teachers don't like their union.

My dad complained about how it was worthless, but he didn't blame the union, he blamed the state that took away all their power.

Actually, I always thought Bush was why my dad never votes GOP but almost getting fired because of the defanged union matches that timeline pretty close too. Probably both.

kirblar

I'm a left wing guy who gets why we need unions, but I think (at least in my experience as a teacher from a family of teachers) that most teachers complain about their unions and don't like them. The reasons for that don't mean that unions should go away, but this is very similar to the "Clinton should've argued why to vote for her, not against them." Unions need to actually argue effectively to their members that they actually bring them value.
Public Sector unions run into issues you don't have in Private sector ones because the relationship with the employer isn't the same. (see: police unions) You need a different ruleset.

Guys, don't do this.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/233053942-story

DETROIT (WJBK) - The leader of a mosque in Dearborn has confirmed to FOX 2 that a man who claimed his mother died in Iraq after being barred from returning to the United States under a ban instituted by President Trump this weekend, lied to FOX 2 about when her death occurred.

Imam Husham Al-Hussainy, leader of the Karbalaa Islamic Educational Center in Dearborn, says Mike Hager's mom did not pass away this weekend after being barred from traveling to the United States. The Imam confirms that Hager's mother died before the ban was put in place.

AndyD

aka andydumi
More like "Donald Trump made Michael Flynn make a STRONG STATEMENT" without consulting anyone like they always do.

How do these top leaders of agencies not push back on this stuff. How do they not say, I need to consult with my agency experts.

Balphon

Did Clinton vote on Salazar, or vice versa. Did either vote on other Obama picks. Did Kerry vote on other picks in 2009.

It seems a conflict for Sessions to vote. Not that the GOP actually cares.

The majority of Obama's appointees were confirmed by voice vote (as is typical) and Salazar had already resigned prior to the vote on Clinton.

I'm not really sure what the precedent is. The only confirmation roll call vote Clinton participated in was her own (she didn't vote), and the other two recent examples that come to mind (Ashcroft & Salazar) resigned in advance of the confirmation process.

haha

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rand-obamacare-strategy-from-repeal-to-repair

Some Republicans in Congress are starting to talk more about trying to “repair” Obamacare, rather than simply calling for “repeal and replace.”

There’s good reason for that.

The repair language was discussed by Republicans during their closed-door policy retreat in Philadelphia last week as a better way to brand their strategy. Some of that discussion flowed from views that Republicans may not be headed toward a total replacement, said one conservative House lawmaker who didn’t want to be identified.

Using the word repair “captures exactly what the large majority of the American people want,” said Frank Luntz, a prominent Republican consultant and pollster who addressed GOP lawmakers at their retreat.

“The public is particularly hostile about skyrocketing costs, and they demand immediate change,” Luntz said in an e-mail response to questions. “Repair is a less partisan but no less action-oriented phrase that Americans overwhelmingly embrace.”

Republicans are grappling with their party’s desire -- and President Donald Trump’s promise -- to dismantle Obamacare, as well as the political disaster that could ensue if millions of Americans lose coverage as a result of legislation.

A Jan. 6 Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that 75 percent of Americans either are opposed to Congress repealing Obamacare or want lawmakers to wait until they have a replacement ready before repealing it. While Trump has promised a plan of his own, Republicans have yet to coalesce around any of the plans that have been floated in recent years to end Obamacare while maintaining a stable insurance market.

“Our goal is to repair the damage caused by Obamacare where we find damage,” Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Chairman Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, said at the start of a hearing he held Wednesday on the individual insurance market.

Senator Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, echoed Alexander during the hearing: “Regardless of who was elected president, we were going to have to do major repairs on the Affordable Care Act.”

While Trump ran on the promise he would repeal Obamacare, he appears to have softened his view a bit after the election. Lately, he has pivoted to pledging insurance for everyone.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, has also tried out “repair.”

“We’ve been working with the administration on a daily basis to map out and plan a very bold and aggressive agenda to make good on our campaign promises and to fix these problems -- to repeal and replace and repair our broken health care system,” Ryan said at a news conference during the Philadelphia retreat.

Some members saw this shift coming, including House Rules Chairman Pete Sessions of Texas, who has proposed his own Obamacare “fix.”

“I’ve been saying this for a long time,” Sessions said. While some of his Republican colleagues continue to say that Obamacare needs to be torn out from its roots, Sessions protests, “Not from me, you’ve never heard that.”

Conservatives have voiced frustrations about the slow pace of repeal, aiming to get rid of the law as soon as possible and figure out a replacement later, if at all.

“I’m out there saying repeal and no replace -- that’s as pretty strong as it gets,” Representative Roger Williams, a Texas Republican, said in an interview. He said he believes things should “just go back the way they were” before Obamacare.

Repeal isn’t off the table for lawmakers embracing repair either. They just want to fix the parts they can first.

“You have to know what you’re going to replace it with, before you have an effective repeal,” Alexander said at the end of his committee’s hearing on the individual insurance market.

“We’re more interested in the future and identifying what needs to be done to
give people more affordable choices of insurance,” he added. “No one’s talking about repealing anything until there is a concrete practical alternative to offer Americans in its place.”

Chumley

Banned
Trump threatened to send ground troops into Mexico (to fight the drug war) and humiliated and screamed at EPN and EPN took it like a fucking coward.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ico-phone-call-humiliating-threatening-2017-2

EPN needs to go.

Vicente Fox would have made Trump's blood run cold if he tried to pull this shit with him.

Are you implying she's dead? The article clearly says she was seen in public two days ago with Barron.

No, that she doesn't like public appearances because she fucking despises her husband and is basically a prisoner.

Though I'm starting to realise how Hillary got screwed with her Wall Street connections/speeches, if there's people who conflate capitalism and Wall Street without any nuance.
The only thing that survived Occupy Wallstreet was the least intellectual and nuanced parts of Occupy Wallstreet

Hopefully Flake and Heller both get their asses kicked in 2018.

Yup, the Democratic machinery in Nevada is strong as heck so Heller is on borrowed time.

Flake has shown his true colors. Hopefully there are some other Republicans with some cajones. Either way, if it comes down to Pence breaking the tie its going to show how badly Trump has messed this up.

Looking at Flake's twitter, looks like he is voting for DeVos.

Looking forward to him losing his election in 2018.

He came out in support in such a bizarre way. Like, he could've been said "I've heard from Arizonans that support DeVos, etc"

Instead he chooses to say "DeVos had me at 'school choice' years ago"

Yup, the Democratic machinery in Nevada is strong as heck so Heller is on borrowed time.

Flake has shown his true colors. Hopefully there are some other Republicans with some cajones. Either way, if it comes down to Pence breaking the tie its going to show how badly Trump has messed this up.
220px-Joe_Heck,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

heh

Also I hope Flake gets crushed in the next election.

We need good statewide candidates for both governor and senator, but yes, Heller is very beatable.

Heller and Flake both going down and giving us a tied Senate is the best plausible outcome of 2018. The kind of Dem wave it would take for us to win those and hold onto WV, ND, MT, OH, WI etc etc would suggest a pretty good night in gubernatorial and House races too.

Then we just need to cajole Collins to come over. Or if she runs for governor, to appoint a King-esque "independent." Maybe Snowe, pretty sure she only retired because the GOP went off the deep end, she had that seat for life if she wanted it.

Side note, 2020 - MT, CO, NC, ME, GA

We need good statewide candidates for both governor and senator, but yes, Heller is very beatable.

Heller and Flake both going down and giving us a tied Senate is the best plausible outcome of 2018. The kind of Dem wave it would take for us to win those and hold onto WV, ND, MT, OH, WI etc etc would suggest a pretty good night in gubernatorial and House races too.

Then we just need to cajole Collins to come over. Or if she runs for governor, to appoint a King-esque "independent." Maybe Snowe, pretty sure she only retired because the GOP went off the deep end, she had that seat for life if she wanted it.

Side note, 2020 - MT, CO, NC, ME, GA
There's Texas for 2018 too, if things go really well. Wisconsin went for Obama in 2008 for roughly the same level as Texas did for Trump. If Cruz is unpopular, we might try to make something work there. The GOP won a seat in fucking Illinois in 2010, I don't want to write it off.

Also for 2020 I'd add IA and AK, both are long-ish shots but at least as likely as Montana or Georgia, I think.

I mean we have a senate seat in North Dakota and Republicans have a governorship in Massachusetts. Might as well try for everything.

I mean we have a senate seat in North Dakota and Republicans have a governorship in Massachusetts. Might as well try for everything.
I agree we should compete everywhere, I just don't want to get ahead of myself*

*excluding speculation about GOP Senators switching parties to give us a majority. Democrats McCain and Murkowski, baby

jtb

Banned
We have no choice but to compete everywhere.

I mean, if Scott Brown (and Mark Kirk) can be elected as "checks" on Obama, we can sure as hell poach AZ and NV seats that are trending blue.

Flake, in particular, should be a prime target. He's not aligned with Trump and he's no liberal. In a non-Presidential year, I'm not sure how much demand there is for a Senator like that, even in a red state. Any slippage in GOP turnout could be fatal for Flake.

mo60

The democratic machinery in NV is strong, but I'm not sure if it would be strong anymore with Reid gone. It doesn't help that hilary won NV by a bit over 2 points in Novewmber.

thefro

The Washington Post has some different numbers for the DNC Chair race than the AP:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/01/joe-biden-backs-tom-perez-for-dnc-chair

WaPost said:
Unlike the last contested DNC race, in 2005, this year’s contest has not seen a front-runner emerge or weaker candidates drop out. Based on private whip counts, Perez and Ellison are seen as having the most support; Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., is seen as close behind. No candidate is seen as having the 224 votes needed to win outright.

Hard to square that with Perez having a "66 vote lead".

We have no choice but to compete everywhere.

I mean, if Scott Brown (and Mark Kirk) can be elected as "checks" on Obama, we can sure as hell poach AZ and NV seats that are trending blue.

Flake, in particular, should be a prime target. He's not aligned with Trump and he's no liberal. In a non-Presidential year, I'm not sure how much demand there is for a Senator like that, even in a red state. Any slippage in GOP turnout could be fatal for Flake.
A problem I've harped on here several times by now is left-leaning voters fall for the "checks and balances" crap all the fucking time. Feingold won enough crossover Trump voters that he would have won if the Clinton voters didn't split their goddamn tickets, something they likely felt okay with because Clinton winning seemed like a foregone conclusion.

Plus side, there are more of us, and a Republican president is in charge. If the theme of 2018 is checks and balances, we've got a lot to gain.

The Washington Post has some different numbers for the DNC Chair race than the AP:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/01/joe-biden-backs-tom-perez-for-dnc-chair

Hard to square that with Perez having a "66 vote lead".
The Perez lead seemed off to me because Ellison won the support of basically every important Democrat except for Obama. Even if Obama is that powerful, I would have figured it would be much closer. I guess we'll see!

A problem I've harped on here several times by now is left-leaning voters fall for the "checks and balances" crap all the fucking time. Feingold won enough crossover Trump voters that he would have won if the Clinton voters didn't split their goddamn tickets, something they likely felt okay with because Clinton winning seemed like a foregone conclusion.

Plus side, there are more of us, and a Republican president is in charge. If the theme of 2018 is checks and balances, we've got a lot to gain.
It's the downside that comes with school trying to justify how terrible our constitution is and the fetish for bipartisanship. Same thing with "the undecided voter".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom