• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's getting confirmed regardless.
Unless he secretly has 5 child brides who've had 25 abortions between them and also smokes meth while riding bad hombre cock.

Actually even then.

This. And a strict Constitutionalist would be abhorred by Trump's actions. Really any self-respecting judge would. Maybe Gorsuch dropped this nugget to help his case. But he doesn't really need the help and it's not like it beggars belief that he would actually feel this way anyway.

Edit: sorry for the DP, still used to election year PoliGAF speed for some reason

DAT COVER

C4QUEPDW8AMIrX_.jpg

This one guy on CNN keeps saying this is not an establishment clause issue because it doesn't establish a religion. I keep wondering why he says that, because that is not the correct analysis and I am pretty sure this is a professor of law saying that. It's such a superficial statement to make that doesn't inform people of the issues.

I think we can handle 4 years of Trump barring a terrorist attack. Trump is too disorganized to push an agenda. The senate doest have the votes to pass a single thing without reconciliation. And his approval is already terrible.

Tonight's the first time I've felt even slightly optimistic since the election. Of course surviving his idiocy alone will be exhausting

jtb

Banned
Gorsuch is getting confirmed regardless. Democrats need to make sure that Republicans pay as steep a price as possible in the process.

Dad.

I think we can handle 4 years of Trump barring a terrorist attack. Trump is too disorganized to push an agenda. The senate doest have the votes to pass a single thing without reconciliation. And his approval is already terrible.

Tonight's the first time I've felt even slightly optimistic since the election. Of course surviving his idiocy alone will be exhausting

And we are due for a recession anyways.

But a terrorist attack of some kind would not be unexpected regardless of who is president. But hostile actions the Trump administration has been engaging in can potentially increase the risk of another attack.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This Breitbart interview with Sean Spicer is kind of amazing. Charlie Spiering's like a college student doing his very first broadcast interview during a 101 class. He also slips up and starts saying "we" instead of "the administration" when asking about the executive order rollout.

We're almost certainly going to experience a terror attack while Trump is in office, and he's almost certainly going to capitalize on it to try and make a power grab.

That being said, I can't think of a single person less qualified to handle an *actual* emergency than the people Donald Trump has in position, so his response to it is almost certainly going to be so horrifically poor and politicized that people will probably hate him even more.

This is where I am. Unless Paul Ryan and McConnell get on the same page to do anything meaningful, this all seems like it'll be a wash. Obama's first 2 years might actually end up more productive. The GOP lives in Candyland.

We're almost certainly going to experience a terror attack while Trump is in office, and he's almost certainly going to capitalize on it to try and make a power grab.

That being said, I can't think of a single person less qualified to handle an *actual* emergency than the people Donald Trump has in position, so his response to it is almost certainly going to be so horrifically poor and politicized that people will probably hate him even more.

Like I've been saying, the Orlando shooting is a preview of this.

I mean, of course it was easier for the Dems to pass legislation.

But it's just that it would be hard even for the most productive Republican Congress to match the 2009-2010 output.

The gop are unified though, Democrats had Lieberman and others that managed to fuck shit up.

McConnell can do whatever he wants at this point.

The GOP are not unified on taxes (Paul Ryan's plan has already been thrown in the trash by Senate Republicans) or Obamacare (no one agrees on what to do) and those were the only two items on their legislative agenda.

I would be interested in seeing what these numbers were for prior presidents.

The non-GOP is fucking mad.

And it was uploaded a month before the election, and nobody ever say this. It barely has 2k views.

Wow.

Assuming they are legit (and since Rick Perlstein shared them I am giving them the benefit of the doubt), supposedly they are test ads that never actually ran. But damn. I knew Woody Guthrie wrote about Fred Trump being racist, but that ad is really something.

Edit: The dreaded Sidney Blumenthal mentions them here:
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n04/sidney-blumenthal/a-short-history-of-the-trump-family

Valhelm

contribute something
DAT COVER

C4QUEPDW8AMIrX_.jpg

Really curious to see how this all plays out. If Trump really does want to be a full ally of Putin, so much will change. Further Russian intervention in Eastern Europe will be probable. Concerns over an "oppressed Russian minority" could pretty conceivably lead to an occupation of Estonia. The bloodless incorporation of friendly former Soviet republics (namely, Belarus, Kazakhstan, or even Azerbaijan) is also a lot more likely.

On the other hand, aggression against Iran will probably be off-the-table. Putin is far too friendly with their government to let Trump to beat that drum. American imperialism in general will be neutered. While Russian influence in the Middle East and Asia would skyrocket, Russia probably can't afford the kind of political domination America tends to assert over its third-world dependencies.

The role of Europe will also change enormously under a Russo-American alliance. NATO would become both far weaker and far more necessary. Periphery members like the Baltic states or Ukraine might be ejected to avoid conflict with Russia. Both France and Germany would have a renewed military significance, with one of them potentially becoming the new commander-in-chief of western liberal democracies.

Kaban

Holy shit, this woman had an amazing intro to her question ... "It's been 2 or 3 weeks... What is your line in the sand?" (I'm paraphrasing)

Can someone tell me what's wrong with John McCain?

He seems like a good dude. Not a complete partisan hack. Willing to occasionally step across the aisle and work with democrats. Moderate (?).

But I'm pretty ignorant and I know some people absolutely despise him. What are the major criticisms?

Amazing young girl, just asked him if he is going to protect air/water and does he believe in science cause she does.

Stuff like this has to scare the GOP.

It doesn't, his district is so damn safe. You just have liberals showing up to yell at him, I say that as a liberal.

JASON CHAFFETZ REPUBLICAN 73.46% 209589
STEPHEN P. TRYON DEMOCRATIC 26.54% 75716

He seems like a good dude. Not a complete partisan hack. Willing to occasionally step across the aisle and work with democrats. Moderate (?).

But I'm pretty ignorant and I know some people absolutely despise him. What are the major criticisms?

Despite seeming integrity, he's kind of rolled over for Trump quite a few times, even if he's shot Trump criticism now and again. He doesn't seem to really stand up for himself, or anyone, outside of lip service. That's the impression I've gotten anyway from the last year.

He has voted against Trump zero times so far, even voting for Rex Tillerson who goes against everything McCain says to care about.

Diablos

I think McCain is a good man but he's kind of not that great of a politician.
He says he's a Maverick and there have been times where he can say he lived up to that, but more often than not, especially after Bush and Rove devoured his soul, he rolls over but still beats his chest saying he's a Maverick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom