• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The guy running the U.S. Department of Education Twitter is not very good.

https://twitter.com/usedgov/status/830827422148866049

You could argue for free college I guess if college makes people not Nazis and helps out the economy.

But giving people making 100k a year a bunch of money after they already got their degree is >_>

They make more money they pay more in income tax. We have an interest in making sure people can get higher paying jobs, what you propose would just push people toward lower paying ones to avoid debt.

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/830800137291194368

The official GOP Twitter is peddling fake quotes from Lincoln.

Also, this weekend should end "Trump distraction theory." Trump's second in command was proven to be a Russian traitor and Trump didn't tweet anything that could take the headlines from this. He just didn't care and kept Flynn anyway despite the protests of literally everyone else in Washington.

I don't see why the republicans will punish their own representatives for him.

No one votes in midterms so as long as Romney voters are too embarrassed and Nazis too satisfied to take the effort to vote in the midterms, we should win.

Obama's bad approval ratings in the South lead to the decimation of a lot of Blue Dogs who didn't love Obama in the South in 2010. Midterms are largely based on which side is madder and takes the effort to show up.

dramatis

Some shit went down yesterday on a Hong Kong train with a firebomb attack. Guy with personal problems hurt himself and 18 other people.

When the suspect was on fire, other people helped him put out the flames, though he still lost his pants.

I think aside from automation, something we have to seriously worry about is mental health in modern society (which will undoubtedly be fueled to worse by automation).

sphagnum

Banned
Those are like late 2006 Bush numbers

A little sooner, but yeah.

UPZTikv.jpg

If Trump's approve is at 35% and his strongly disapprove is above 50% by the midterms, we'll win back the House.

And he's basically gotten half way there compared to where the numbers were at his inauguration.

Some shit went down yesterday on a Hong Kong train with a firebomb attack. Guy with personal problems hurt himself and 18 other people.

When the suspect was on fire, other people helped him put out the flames, though he still lost his pants.

I think aside from automation, something we have to seriously worry about is mental health in modern society (which will undoubtedly be fueled to worse by automation).

That's why we have debt relief type programs like the MSTP to get mental health practitioners and researchers. The field is moving forward for sure though the fruits will take some time to become apparent.

Also debt relief for doctors is coming via schools moving toward tuition free because having lots of student debt makes students want to go to high paying, perhaps less "useful" specialties adding to the primary care shortage. Plus being a doctor outside of some of the more "niche" specialties is not a great way to get truly rich given the effort you have to put in but I digress.

If Trump's approve is at 35% and his strongly disapprove is above 50% by the midterms, we'll win back the House.

And he's basically gotten half way there compared to where the numbers were at his inauguration.

Hillary losing might have been the best thing in the long run.

Democrats would have continued to take horrible losses in 2018 if she won.

I know that Gallup is one of his worst numbers but -15 less than a month into his presidency is shocking.

There were people who apparently thought Trump was like Bill Clinton, a scummy but smart centrist and you know, Bill Clinton lead to a ton of economic growth so might as well vote for Trump.

Then they realized Trump is radical and extremely stupid.

There were people who apparently thought Trump was like Bill Clinton, a scummy but smart centrist and you know, Bill Clinton lead to a ton of economic growth so might as well vote for Trump.

Then they realized Trump is radical and extremely stupid.

Agreed. A lot of the conservatives i know personally were on the "it's an act, he's not that bad" train.

literally the day after inauguration it becomes apparent that all of that was NOT an act, and suddenly moderate conservatives are running for the hills.

Ogodei

I'd argue that anyone who was poor enough to need student loans could deserve to have those loans written down. If you qualified for any kind of Stafford loan on FAFSA then you're not really part of the superrich.

Nah, i'd take that SC seat any day of the week.

I will say that it's hilarious that republicans seem to have no legislative agenda. They are going to waste their honeymoon period confirming cabinet picks and Gorsuch.

There is no coordination between Trump, Ryan, and McConnel at all

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd argue that anyone who was poor enough to need student loans could deserve to have those loans written down. If you qualified for any kind of Stafford loan on FAFSA then you're not really part of the superrich.

I dunno. My parents are firmly in the top 20% of the country financially and I still needed about $22k in loans to go to a state school (that was qualifying for federal loans even, not private). College is fucking expensive

By that same token though I got a STEM degree and am doing well enough that my loan payments aren't actually a significant financial burden. I honestly would just go with some aggressive re-writing of terms to significantly decrease the financial load in proportion to the ratio of your payments to income. I know with federal loans you can avoid payment based on certain income thresholds but I wonder what else can be done

kess

Trump is different than Bush in that he's come out of the gate immediately with a bunch of stupidly obvious and malicious policies, whereas Bush was a steady slow beat of bad news. I think throwing everything at the wall at once might have seemed like a good idea on a Machiavellian level but everybody was paying attention and people's first impressions have been made. His unorthodox and invasive visa policies make him Big Government in the eyes off many people, whether he likes it or not.

Hiding puppy mill indiscretions and other fun stuff like that tends to get people going even if it isn't headline news stuff.

Nah, i'd take that SC seat any day of the week.

I will say that it's hilarious that republicans seem to have no legislative agenda. They are going to waste their honeymoon period confirming cabinet picks and Gorsuch.

There is no coordination between Trump, Ryan, and McConnel at all
Would depend on if Kennedy and Ginsburg hold out for another four years, really

Missing Scalia's seat really sucks, but it works out better in the long run if we had a Dem president able to replace Breyer, Kennedy and Ginsburg post-2020 than getting a 5-4 liberal majority now, only to become a 7-2 conservative majority if a Republican won in 2020.

kirblar

And then possibly lose in 2020 and have even more experience gerrymandering as a result. Because the American electorate is stupid.

We weren't getting a replacement. They were going to stonewall that set.

Would depend on if Kennedy and Ginsburg hold out for another four years, really

Missing Scalia's seat really sucks, but it works out better in the long run if we had a Dem president able to replace Breyer, Kennedy and Ginsburg post-2020 than getting a 5-4 liberal majority now, only to become a 7-2 conservative majority if a Republican won in 2020.
This depends on if Kennedy wants to retire (or dies) with a Democrat in the White House to begin with.

Replacing Breyer and Ginsburg would be a win in and of itself though.

Holmes

Trump and his administration should have known the ban would've faced huge backlash, unless they really do love in a bubble where they believe everything they do is right and has popular support.

Trump and his administration should have known the ban would've faced huge backlash, unless they really do love in a bubble where they believe everything they do is right and has popular support.

I wonder if they're trying to convince themselves that as much they're trying to convince others.

Trump is going to say that Bush knocked down the towers by the end of his term and many will believe Trump though.

Why am I suddenly getting excited about watching some old-school Power Rangers?
"and Bush grew to giant size and we had call in the rangers to bring him down. True story!"

Also, I've found that if you rewatch 90's shows, there is awful lot of knocking down the twin towers, like in The Tick. Which was like "woah", and it's not the only show that did that either. It's weird how a somewhat common joke became a surprising reality.
... so like "President Trump, hahaha" then. Shit.

Gruco

Banned
Trump receiving the news that Flynn is a traitor and deciding he needs to fire Reince because of a bill written by Bannon and Miller is really something.
It's funny, because it's very easy to believe that Reince is both completely out of his depth while also being the most capable staffer he has.

I'm anticipating when Trump's first legislative battle will be and how he dealt with it. I think the first will be the budget bill or a tax bill.

I'm anticipating when Trump's first legislative battle will be and how he dealt with it. I think the first will be the budget bill or a tax bill.

The GOP was planning to threaten a government shut down in April to fund THE WALL, but the legislators have seemingly no idea of anything that's going on and appear to have no plans or bills they're working on so who knows if that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom