• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting how "we should never anoint anyone ever" has an out clause that reads except if Bernie Sanders endorses them.

There was literally a Vox piece written that said Tom Perez shouldn't even run because it'll just piss of the Sanders camp who wants Ellison...

Yeah. Even as someone who personally supports Ellison, it's funny to see. Big endorsements early on, field probably cleared a little because of it, etc

Who is gonna really be upset with Ellison? Hillary fans aren't nearly half as vocal as Bernie's fans.

Would Hillary's fans even be upset with Ellison? He's gotten wide support, apart from Obama and Biden.

I mean it's sort of a who cares though. The only reason anyone cares is that Debbie used her massive amounts of power to rig 3.5 million primary votes for that loser Hilliary. Their minor ideological differences are meaningless.

Does anyone actually think that any of these people are going to be the de facto leader of the Democratic Party? And be able to steer things towards their "base"?

They should have found someone organizationally competent and stopped faffing about ages ago.

messiaen

What was the literacy rate around that time?

About 85% for whites and 15% for blacks and other racial groups. If you were in a white community, even if you couldn't read, you'd have known someone who could, so functionally any written material of sufficient importance would reach almost all voters.
Yup. The big difference/problem between now and then is, back then people would recognize Lincoln based on what he said, not what he looked like.

I don't think most Americans today would be able to accurately comprehend even the Gettysburg Address.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup. The big difference/problem between now and then is, back then people would recognize Lincoln based on what he said, not what he looked like.

TV basically changed how elections work in this country. Before TV you had to be able to talk the part, you needed substance since all anyone knew you as were your words, but after TV you just had to look and act the part.

messiaen

TV basically changed how elections work in this country. Before TV you had to be able to talk the part, you needed substance since all anyone knew you as were your words, but after TV you just had to look and act the part.

You can dive deeper and really say that radio and even the telegram started to ruin public discourse. Yeah, Trump isn't even the first to do this. Look at Reagan, he got crushed in his debates, but "won" because he looked the part.

When the Radio Act was enacted, Herbert Hoover who was the Commerce Secretary at the time believed it to be a tool for learning and nothing more, but sure enough in a few years it became a commercial product with the motive to sell the population shit. People slowly stopped caring about being intellectually simulated and started to care more about being entertained. Television was the real nail in the coffin though for reasons that I could go on for a while about, but some of that was helped along and the foundation laid with radio and honestly the telegram.

I don't know why 1984 is at the top of the best seller list, people should be reading Brave New World; it's a hell of a lot closer to the world we live in right now.

Pixieking

Banned
My hot take is that the US and RoK will be occupying the North within two years.

I mean, reunification of Korea isn't the worst thing that could happen. Considering how many North Korean citizens have died over the years from starvation, it would mostly be considered an objective good.

I can't see Trump putting boots on the ground, though, and I don't think the South Koreans would dare when the North has nuclear weapons.

I wonder if he called Abe a "jap".

I wonder if he pronounced Abe like he would Abe Lincoln.

"Shinzo Abe - you named after Lincoln?" Is something I can genuinely see him asking.

sphagnum

Banned
I have come to conclude that the reason Nathan for You season 4 is not out yet is because the season finale prank is getting Trump elected.

Maengun1

Looking up the actual numbers for specific house elections can be so depressing. I got so much enjoyment out of the videos of town hall goers screaming at Chaffetz and allowed myself to fantasize about him getting booted some day, but noooolol he literally wins his seat by 50 points every 2 years.

Those poor liberals in that district really need that chance to vent

NeoXChaos

Looking up the actual numbers for specific house elections can be so depressing. I got so much enjoyment out of the videos of town hall goers screaming at Chaffetz and allowed myself to fantasize about him getting booted some day, but noooolol he literally wins his seat by 50 points every 2 years.

There will always be safe red and blue districts even if gerrymandering was fully eliminated & maps were computerized or whatever your method of fair map choice.

Tall4Life

Flat Earth Twitter and Pizzagate Twitter are fighting.

https://twitter.com/srhbutts/status/830654346241142784

TSByRDo.jpg

both are the monkeys

Damn, that's like Christians and Muslims fighting over whose god is real.

Nah more ridiculous than that

This is Moon landing truthers arguing with Sandy Hook Truthers and accusing Sandy Hook Truthers of being false flaggers so that the government can descredit Moon landing truthers

sphagnum

Banned
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight and was very disappointed that Indy didn't try to reason with the Nazis. Even if they resorted to violence that doesn't mean he should have - doesn't he understand the power of taking the high ground through peaceful protest? Spielberg should be ashamed of himself for making this anti-white propaganda film.

Wow, there hasn't been a Trump fuck up or controversy all day... that's some sort of record I think. Is he on vacation?
Didn't he shut the press in a room with trash bags covering the outside of the windows so they couldn't see outside, today? I mean it's pretty mild for Trump but still.....

edit: beaten

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

No idea if it's true but was reading on twitter McMullin lives in his district. Hopefully he runs for his seat in 2018.

chadskin

@realDonaldTrump:
I know Mark Cuban well. He backed me big-time but I wasn't interested in taking all of his calls.He's not smart enough to run for president!

2020 campaign has already begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom