• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/320306-graham-ryan-tax-plan-wont-get-10-votes-in-the-senate

Doesn't seem likely that a tax reform bill will happen anytime soon.

Seems like the GOP still don't know what to do with their new found power. I'm really wondering what is their economic strategy right now, because obviously Trump doesn't have any.

Their economic plan is to turn the country into Jindal's Louisiana, but enough of them know that's political suicide that they're not willing to go through with it now that they can actual do something about it.

tuxfool

Banned
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/320306-graham-ryan-tax-plan-wont-get-10-votes-in-the-senate

Doesn't seem likely that a tax reform bill will happen anytime soon.

Seems like the GOP still don't know what to do with their new found power. I'm really wondering what is their economic strategy right now, because obviously Trump doesn't have any.

Inasmuch as the GOP public has the ability to self organize behind issues, the people they elect really don't have the rigor to carry it forward. They're a bunch of incompetents when trying to execute a plan as versus opposing one.

So, Trump Admin has asked for growth forecasts to be cooked up.

They want to change how trade deficit is calculated to make it higher.

I can't wait to see what is done for job numbers if there are 2-3 bad ones in a row.

I had no idea there was a shooting incident in Oakland 2 days ago? Some dude just went shooting at cars and at his neighbors houses and then got into a shootout with the police.

Apparently he was posting anti-immigration stuff on his social media days leading up to this incident. The craziest thing is that his neighbors called the police on him twice in the past few weeks but they didn't do anything.

This snippet in an article also stood out.

One of the most startling images found was on Enjaian's website where a violent rap song played over an image of an anime character holding a high-power rifle. It was a seemingly vast contrast from where he grew up in Fremont where his mother ran a bookkeeping service out of their home.

http://abc7news.com/news/oakland-shooters-troubled-past-college-history-/1760369/

Zereta

I don't know if dots need to be connected when Trump's lawyers are openly talking about plotting a coup.

We've known about Russia ties for about a year now and no one did anything. Hell, Mother Jones broke the dossier story originally back in October and no one gave a crap.

It took the dossier release to happen (Buzzfeed releasing the dossier, CNN reporting that the President was briefed on it) for everyone to focus in on this.

~Kinggi~

Banned
We've known about Russia ties for about a year now and no one did anything. Hell, Mother Jones broke the dossier story originally back in October and no one gave a crap.

It took the dossier release to happen (Buzzfeed releasing the dossier, CNN reporting that the President was briefed on it) for everyone to focus in on this.

Buzzfeed might have saved us all, cause nobody was doing shit about Russia even despite having that document. Releasing it was critical to get the public involved and put pressure for expedited investigation. Hell sites like NYT have a small army right now on only this stuff.

Zereta

Buzzfeed might have saved us all, cause nobody was doing shit about Russia even despite having that document. Releasing it was critical to get the public involved and put pressure for expedited investigation. Hell sites like NYT have a small army right now on only this stuff.

Precisely. The media fucked up in 2016 but its crazy that reporters from BUZZFEED and MOTHER JONES are the ones who picked up the torch

Other big surprise: the 2-3 journalists on Fox News who actually have taken a stand against Trump's attacks against the media.

Time to fight back after screwing the pooch in 2016, journalists.

Holmes

I had no idea there was a shooting incident in Oakland 2 days ago? Some dude just went shooting at cars and at his neighbors houses and then got into a shootout with the police.

Apparently he was posting anti-immigration stuff on his social media days leading up to this incident. The craziest thing is that his neighbors called the police on him twice in the past few weeks but they didn't do anything.

This snippet in an article also stood out.

http://abc7news.com/news/oakland-shooters-troubled-past-college-history-/1760369/
It's Oakland, there are many shootings there, many go unreported. Just like in Vallejo, Richmond...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, is melania going to follow through with her anti-online bully program, or is it asking too much for even the position of First Lady to be an uncontroversial feel good aspect of the administration.

A bunch of people who view Trump as their God seem Very Concerned about sexual assault from refugees.

I'm not sure you can get more transparent.

New version of Stan is pretty dope.

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/833271625508409345

My statement as to what's happening in Sweden was in reference to a story that was broadcast on @FoxNews concerning immigrants & Sweden.

Stop fucking watching Tucker Carlson and do some fucking work, you fuckhead.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/833435244451753984

And learn how to speak instead of referring to a program you watched last night as "what happened to Sweden last night."

So, is melania going to follow through with her anti-online bully program, or is it asking too much for even the position of First Lady to be an uncontroversial feel good aspect of the administration.

I don't know how she plans to denounce online bullying without sounding like an "anti-free speech sjw cuck".

talk about a tight rope.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So, Trump Admin has asked for growth forecasts to be cooked up.

They want to change how trade deficit is calculated to make it higher.

I can't wait to see what is done for job numbers if there are 2-3 bad ones in a row.

I expect ADP to be attacked on twitter this year repeatedly.

Lmo911

I don't know how she plans to denounce online bullying without sounding like an "anti-free speech sjw cuck".

talk about a tight rope.

Bah she is the wife of the glorious leader. Everyone will immediately agree to her every whim... while still being absolute shit to each other online.

You have to understand the tight rope you are walking on.

JP_

Banned

talk about a tight rope.
Well the real victims are the poor censored guys that were bullied into silence by PC cuck social justice warriors bent on injecting the feminazi agenda into their vidya. /s

chadskin

One of Rex Tillerson's first directives as U.S. secretary of state was an order to senior staff that his briefing materials not exceed two pages.
Senior State Department officials who have attended meetings with Tillerson say they find him sociable and a man of substance, whose direct manner and probing questions reflect his training as an engineer seeking to solve problems rather than play politics.

The veteran oil executive also made a good impression on his first foreign trip to a Group of 20 summit in Bonn, Germany, last week. Four senior diplomats who met him told Reuters they were relieved to find that he was pragmatic and open to dialogue.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tillerson-idUSKBN15Y0Y6

royalan

haha

So I just had to change my Instagram credentials because somebody in Russia just tried to access my account.

Hide your insta, hide your snaps...

Sianos

2 pages? Haha. We're fucked.

These are the same people who will take any terminology developed to express complex ideas in a short space and immediately scream their own meaning to the word so as to avoid having to engage in actual debate until the term is functionally ruined.

They don't deserve the privilege of brevity.

Teggy

I don't know who Louise Mensch is but she is on the warpath. A lot of shady Russian dots getting connected, a lot dealing with Trump claiming he doesn't know who Felix Sater is, when it seems pretty obvious he does.

I don't know who Louise Mensch is but she is on the warpath. A lot of shady Russian dots getting connected, a lot dealing with Trump claiming he doesn't know who Felix Sater is, when it seems pretty obvious he does.
Louise Mensch seems nutty but Josh Marshall at talkingpointsmemo was also flagging the Felix Satee connection.

Inasmuch as the GOP public has the ability to self organize behind issues, the people they elect really don't have the rigor to carry it forward. They're a bunch of incompetents when trying to execute a plan as versus opposing one.

Which is my belief that some Republican controlled states might suffer some sort of crisis they can't handle.

With a combination of little or negative economic growth, loss of jobs due to automation or low demand, and decline of population in some cases, of some demographics that some parts of the GOP relies on; the GOP will have a very hard time of dealing it with as a whole.

I'm starting to think that Rust belt and coal country will continue to suffer to the point many more of those areas will have very little economic or negative economic growth. The industries they rely on, are cutting jobs and despite the increased production of some of them, the communities still don't reap the benefits. I think there might be a point that many more of the communities will go in poverty and it might happen sooner rather than later.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know why people are upset about the 2 pages thing. I mean, unless you are questioning Tillerson's competency (which I think is a stretch), you shouldn't think he's doing it because he doesn't have an attention span or doesn't care about details. I think it's challenging but useful for people to have to get stuff into 2 pages.

Tillerson's just got a huge issue with Russia.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know why people are upset about the 2 pages thing. I mean, unless you are questioning Tillerson's competency (which I think is a stretch), you shouldn't think he's doing it because he doesn't have an attention span or doesn't care about details. I think it's challenging but useful for people to have to get stuff into 2 pages.

Agreed. These things can get really dense and he's likely got a lot of them to read through in a day, so long as he asks for more through briefings when he doesn't understand something it's fine. Now if it were Trump I'd laugh because we all know he can't read anyway.

Tillerson's got issues with more than just Russia. He's likely got issues with Venezuela and most of the Middle East. Hell, he's likely suspect when it comes to every oil producing nation.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The aim for all Government briefings in pretty much every English speaking country is two pages.

In the end, however, a brief ends up being how long it needs to be.

Ogodei

It just sounds like one of those dumb executive things to me. Oftentimes the world can't be boiled down that easily.

There is not much talk about Pakistan bombing Afghanistan territory to try to kill terrorists they think are in Afghanistan but are bombing Pakistan.

There's not much talk at all about Afghanistan even though the U.S. is fighting a losing war there....

AntoneM

I remember my Legal Research and Writing professor used to set nearly impossible character limits on our briefs. I once got the chance a year later to ask him about it and he says that he does the brief himself then subtracts 20 characters because he wanted us to be ready for the bullshit a judge will put an intern through.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It just sounds like one of those dumb executive things to me. Oftentimes the world can't be boiled down that easily.

If he wants more detail, he can ask. It's asking a lot of staff to synthesize complex information into two pages. I think it's one of those "omg ceo management things!!! omg learn from ceo" but let's be realistic, guy is busy. I don't think he's incompetent and he certainly has had more success in business than Donald Trump, so really I can't get too upset.

Also what are the issues with Venezuela? Like that we want them to fall off a cliff? Doesn't everyone?

Blader

If he wants more detail, he can ask. It's asking a lot of staff to synthesize complex information into two pages. I think it's one of those "omg ceo management things!!! omg learn from ceo" but let's be realistic, guy is busy. I don't think he's incompetent and he certainly has had more success in business than Donald Trump, so really I can't get too upset.

Especially since he still has no real senior staff in place, yet.

AntoneM

Compare Tillerson to Clinton or Kerry. He has no idea how government works (outside of bribes which he can't do now so he's fucked).

He's not an idiot but he's a fish out of water and he's going to suffocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom