• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What's the Reuters report regarding the Orange Fascist and Russia?

Found it:
U.S. inquiries into Russian election hacking include three FBI probes
Why is the Reuters site such shit on mobile? Or is it just me

are they serious with this crap said:
JUuY4k8.png

IeR2eZI.png

Edit:
I'll be forwarding her planned explanation report to a certain four Supreme Court justices.

I know you like sending fan mail, but Scalia technically isn't a Justice anymore.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it probably loads fast
I am a fan of fast loading websites. But the content is 4 full screen scrolls down though the links. That ate up any benefit from low load times.

For the last time I am not metamorphingpheos, we just share a common anti-fascist agenda.
I would never confuse you two, you I like. lol "antifascist" is that what you call it?

@realDonaldTrump: The Mar-a-Lago Club has the best meatloaf in America. Tasty. http://t.co/3GS8TRgM

@realDonaldTrump: Have you been to the @TrumpGrill in the Trump Tower Atrium? Best meatloaf in the City--my mother's famous recipe. 212.836.3249

The Trump Meatloaf, a right of passage for the President.

Trump's Twitter has a tweet for everything lmao

Gruco

Banned
Fox News seems to be sweating a bit about the anti-media rhetoric.

Fox News is in a weird space right now. I'd say they always had ambitions to have their news-gathering segments be taken more seriously, even if their O'Reilly's and Hannity's were the bread and butter. But they still are a news gathering organization, and people like Shep, Wallace, and previously Kelly took it seriously.

Add to that the absence of Ailes for the first time, along with a legit creepy flanking manuever by Breitbart that I have to imagine is genuinely unsettling. It's not surprising at all the Fox News is suddenly not the power player in conservative politics its used to being and feeling a little exposed.

Wallace and Shep are going to continue to do great work and their voices may continue to get elevated. The sign to watch for is seeing other people dig in on Trump. Particularly O'Reilly.

Maxim726X

I think they're waiting on the new chair to be in place before they do anything on that front.

Speaking of which... I tried to get in contact with my local DNC, and it's basically empty.

I've tried calling 3 times, only got an answer once. Never heard back.

Physically went to the office once, it was basically empty.

Is this normal after a presidential election? Is the entire operation basically in hibernation until a new chair and strategy is chosen?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Think about it like this:

1. Nobody can actually stop Trump except for Mitch McConnell;
2. McConnell will back Trump until it will cost him or his majority's jobs;
3. Those jobs aren't going anywhere until the base gets the message;
4. therefore nothing happens until Fox News and Rush Limbaugh flip.

Shep has always been a wild card. Wallace less so. But both going in on Trump is a good first sign. When O'Reilly flips, when Rush flips, that's when it's time to perk up -- because that's when McConnell will flip. Not before then.

Gruco

Banned
My review of Trump's first month:
  • Illegally kicked green card holders, Iraqi translators, and starving children out of the country.
  • Self-owned on every legal strategy it implemented
  • Faced internal rebellion from Justice, Parks Service, EPA, and Intelligence Community for gross incompetence.
  • Aggressively lied to American people about pointless shit like crowd-sizes, imaginary voter fraud, and the "Bowling Green Massacre". Threw temper tantrum every time it was corrected.
  • Made absolutely no progress whatsoever on any major legislative priorities. Probably sent most backwards.
  • Failed to submit nomination for virtually every below-cabinet level position to Congress.
  • Appointed Steve Bannon to National Security Council without realizing it, because Trump doesn't read his EOs before signing them.
  • Preemptively withdrew like 30 EOs for fear of riots.
  • Forced to fire National Security Advisor for false statements and for conspiracy with a hostile foreign power.
  • Convinced Senate Intelligence Committee to investigate ties to Russia and possibility of quid pro quo.
  • Through hiring freeze, convinced at least one entire graduating cohort of economists, scientists, etc. not to pursue public service as a career civil servant.
  • Through open hostility and loyalty tests, convinced all qualified potential political appointees to stay the fuck away

I'd say it's all going wonderfully.

It's hard to argue that it's more active than Obama's first month though. Obama signed the Recovery Act.

Gruco

Banned

Shep has always been a wild card. Wallace less so. But both going in on Trump is a good first sign. When O'Reilly flips, when Rush flips, that's when it's time to perk up -- because that's when McConnell will flip. Not before then.

I think this is right, but I'll add that this isn't the only possible strategy.

Right now, Republicans fear their base, first and foremost. So getting the base to turn on Trump would obviously help. But so would getting Congressional Republicans to find the general electorate scarier. So, things like losing special elections they have no business losing would also give republican leadership a chance to reconsider their life choices.

Fox News seems to be sweating a bit about the anti-media rhetoric.

Fox is in an awkward spot right now because they have to teeter between becoming "fake news" and actually becoming fake news.

They want to play with the "big boys" with CNN and MSNBC, but they also want to stay in good favor with the Breitbart crowd.

These two things are becoming increasingly mutually exclusive, so they're going to need to decide where they want to be.

Their balancing act between pleasing the crazies and trying to seem "legitimate" can't continue much longer. Fox would always throw a bone occasionally and mildly criticize the GOP or at least report actual news when it was politically convenient, but even that's going too far for Trumper these days. Their niche of "conservative news" is eroding away for online tabloids and trash websites, and I don't think they want to be in those crowds. Those crowds have hard market caps and the big advertisers won't touch them. Fox likes to twist facts around and jump to ridiculous conclusions, but I can't remember too many times where they outright fabricated news stories. But to keep up with their core audience, they're going to need to start just straight making stuff up, and they won't want to go that far.

Fox would either ignore major GOP scandals, or try to explain them away. But they'd still report them as stuff that actually did happen (or not bother reporting them at all if the story was small enough). They'd just talk around them or rationalize them. These days, their viewers just say "I don't like this, it isn't true, it never happened, they're lying"

Is Fox willing to cross that line? I'm not sure they are.

Fox would never make things up. They'd never do something like this, for example.

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/nyhete...ed-in-fox-news-segment-filmmaker-is-a-madman/

"We've got to keep our country safe. You look at what's happening in Germany. You look at what's happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They're having problems like they never thought possible."

Trumps comments about Sweden during his rally in Melbourne, Florida, raised many questions, especially among Swedes who were quick to point out that nothing terror-related had happened in the country. The president later took to Twitter to clarify his statements, saying that he was referring to a segment on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" on Fox News. The segment featured the xenophobic filmmaker Ami Horowitz, maker of an alarmistic movie about Sweden. The movie, titled "Stockholm Syndrome", blames immigration as a direct cause of violence and rioting.

Two Swedish police officers were interviewed in the film. Anders Göranzon and Jacob Ekström answered questions about how weapons are becoming more accessible. Horowitz also asked the officers about how crime has spread through cities. But the police officers now say that their answers were taken out of context, and are very critical of how their comments were portrayed on Fox News "Tucker Carlson Tonight". "I don't understand why we are a part of the segment. The interview was about something completely different to what Fox News and Horowitz were talking about", says Anders Göranzon.

Why were you interviewed?

"It was supposed to be about crime in high risk areas. Areas with high crime rates. There wasn't any focus on migration or immigration".

How did you react to the news segment?

"We don't stand behind it. It shocked us. He has edited the answers. We were answering completely different questions in the interview. This is bad journalism."

Anders Göranzon continues: "It feels like hell. The real questions should be shown along with our answers. We don't own the rights to the film, but the end result is that we don't want to talk to journalists after this. We can't trust each other."

Have you done anything to stop the news segment?

"We just saw it. What can we do? One thing is talking to you. The excerpt they showed doesn't say anything, we answered a different question. We don't stand behind what he says. He is a madman."

DN has reached out to Ami Horowitz for comment.

Kimawolf

Reading up more on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" it appears to be Fox News' attempt at making an "Alt-Right Power Hour" type show.

Tucker is a failed guy who jumped from station to station, getting more conservative as time went on. He finally landed at Fox after being booted from CNN and MSNBC. He goes as far right as he needs to go so he can keep his insane audience. Remember he is the lead in now for Trump/Alt Right cheerleader number 1, Hannity.

chadskin

Um, died or murdered?

So far, suddenly died.

RT:
Vitaly Churkin, who served as Russia's permanent representative to the United Nations since 2006, "died suddenly" in New York, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced.
Churkin would have turned 65 on Tuesday.

Before he was appointed to represent Russia at the UN in May 2006, the diplomat served as ambassador to Belgium, ambassador to Canada, and liaison ambassador to NATO and the Western European Union (WEU).

In the 2000s he was ambassador at large at Russia's Foreign Ministry, while in the early 1990s he served as the special representative of the Russian president to the talks on the former Yugoslavia.

Well this scares me. McConnell's wife is apart of Trump's administration as the Secretary of Transportation. On top of having Reince Priebus on board, he essentially has enough leverage over Republicans in Congress to get what he wants.

Murdoch and Trump have also started to become rather close. So I think that makes it much less likely for Fox news to fully turn on Trump.

Pixieking

Banned
Re: Fox News. Are their any penalties for broadcasting incorrect or inaccurate news in the US? I don't expect there to be, because "free speech", and also it's not like the UK has anything like that, so why would the US. But curious if there's a hard-and-fast point at which a company could be fined/publicly humiliated.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
No. Any such regulation could very easily be used to censor the press speaking truthfully against the government.

Ogodei

Fox is in an awkward spot right now because they have to teeter between becoming "fake news" and actually becoming fake news.

They want to play with the "big boys" with CNN and MSNBC, but they also want to stay in good favor with the Breitbart crowd.

These two things are becoming increasingly mutually exclusive, so they're going to need to decide where they want to be.

Their balancing act between pleasing the crazies and trying to seem "legitimate" can't continue much longer. Fox would always throw a bone occasionally and mildly criticize the GOP or at least report actual news when it was politically convenient, but even that's going too far for Trumper these days. Their niche of "conservative news" is eroding away for online tabloids and trash websites, and I don't think they want to be in those crowds. Those crowds have hard market caps and the big advertisers won't touch them. Fox likes to twist facts around and jump to ridiculous conclusions, but I can't remember too many times where they outright fabricated news stories. But to keep up with their core audience, they're going to need to start just straight making stuff up, and they won't want to go that far.

Fox would either ignore major GOP scandals, or try to explain them away. But they'd still report them as stuff that actually did happen (or not bother reporting them at all if the story was small enough). They'd just talk around them or rationalize them. These days, their viewers just say "I don't like this, it isn't true, it never happened, they're lying"

Is Fox willing to cross that line? I'm not sure they are.

If Breitbart, et al manage to drag the Overton Window far enough to the Right, Fox will become the new "center" and the old "Fair and Balanced" slogan will become true by sheer accident, and will be watched by the new median American who opposes BLM but isn't quite on board with genocide.

Vixdean

At this point, I'm gonna go ahead and assume anyone connected to Russia who "dies suddenly" was assassinated by Putin until proven otherwise.

UberTag

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/us/politics/fec-elections-ann-ravel-campaign-finance.html
WASHINGTON — A Democrat on the Federal Election Commission is quitting her term early because of the gridlock that has gripped the panel, offering President Trump an unexpected chance to shape political spending rules.

The commissioner, Ann M. Ravel, said during an interview that she would send Mr. Trump her letter of resignation this week. She pointed to a series of deadlocked votes between the panel's three Democrats and three Republicans that she said left her little hope the group would ever be able to rein in campaign finance abuses.

”The ability of the commission to perform its role has deteriorated significantly," said Ms. Ravel, who has sparred bitterly with the Republican election commissioners during her three years on the panel. She added, ”I think I can be more effective on the outside."

Her departure will probably set off an intense political fight over how a new commissioner should be picked. By tradition, Senate Democrats would be allowed to select the replacement, but, by law, the choice belongs to the president, and Mr. Trump has shown little interest in Washington customs.
Mr. Hasen said he would not be surprised if Mr. Trump made the pick himself, especially because his White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, was an election commissioner himself and has pushed fiercely for deregulating campaign finance.
what could go wrong for the Democrats
I see that somebody's check cleared. And she threw in a parting shot at the administration to deflect suspicion. How cute!

sphagnum

Banned
So over the past couple of days Trump has ticked back up from 38% to 42% on Gallup. Statistical noise or did the press conference help him?

Mirand

Seems like Campaign Mode Trump helps his rating with soft GOP support, but they're spooked when his incompetent Governing Mode shows up.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So over the past couple of days Trump has ticked back up from 38% to 42% on Gallup. Statistical noise or did the press conference help him?

Mostly noise but really neither. 38%-42% is his floor. If that drops into the low 30s, that's when to take note. It'll float around there until he really fucks up. I have bad news for you about where this is going until the Wall Street bubble pops, though.

Ogodei

Seems like Campaign Mode Trump helps his rating with soft GOP support, but they're spooked when his incompetent Governing Mode shows up.

Likely, because he reminds them of why they voted for him and distracts from the consequences of actually voting for him.

Teggy

I feel like CPAC will be a wonderful lose/lose for the right. The hardcore will say that they were bullied into suppressing free speech and Milo's first real exposure to the mainstream is as the shitstain he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom