• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

between this sessions scandal and breath of the wild getting 10s across the board, this is like the best couple of days ever

sazzy

SQeXq5g.png

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-ethics-white-house-235586

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Juliette Kayyem‏ @juliettekayyem

Non political friend on inside said casually to me "patience. You haven't heard last of Comey." Never understood why Trump kept him.

Let the Comey redemption story arc begin!

Seriously, the movie that will eventually be made about this is going to be amazing,

Pixieking

Banned

Seriously, the movie that will eventually be made about this is going to be amazing,

"Movie", singular? Nope - it'll be the political version of Lord of the Rings. Trilogy, with extended editions on BluRay.

Actually, I say that jokingly, but it would be pretty cool 10 or 20 years down the line to have the BR extras be interviews with the people involved.

tbm24

At this point, if he actually comes out to help take down this administration, Comey will be best served by an anime more than a movie.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jesse Rodriguez‏ @JesseRodriguez

AG @jeffsessions tells @NBCNews outside his home that he would recuse himself from Russia inv if needed; video about to air on @Morning_Joe

UberTag

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231306974 said:
Sessions wont make it past friday.

trump wont have this impede his stature.
Trump had to get talked into cutting Flynn loose. He wanted to keep him until Pence and Priebus forced the issue.

tbm24

Trump had to get talked into cutting Flynn loose. He wanted to keep him until Pence and Priebus forced the issue.
Much like everything else about his presidency, none of these choices, aside the election is rigged bullshit, is his decision.

Chumley

Banned
MARK HALPERIN just layed out in clear terms why this is a bombshell. If it was just an innocent conversation in the context of him being a senator there would have been zero reason not to disclose it. There's clearly a bigger thing at play.

McCarthy now saying Sessions should recuse himself.

I'm still not convinced that Sessions will resign (he obviously should). He and Trump are really stubborn and AG isn't like the job Flynn had. Democrats should absolutely keep saying he should resign, though.

But getting a special prosecutor on this would be great news. We'd get more from that and that could takedown even more than Sessions.

UberTag

I'm still not convinced that Sessions will resign (he obviously should). He and Trump are really stubborn and AG isn't like the job Flynn had. Democrats should absolutely keep saying he should resign, though.

But getting a special prosecutor on this would be great news. We'd get more from that and that could takedown even more than Sessions.
The inevitable Hollywood mega-blockbuster based on this presidency demands that Sally Yates be named the special prosecutor for this investigation. The script will accept no substitutes.

Lol. He's just recusing himself, something he should have done all along, on an investigation that still should have happened all along, so as to avoid what he should actually be doing. Resigning. For lying under oath.

Obama always played the long game. He made a lot of long game moves here so it may not be readily apparent what decisions he made until later. Like the spreading of intelligence thing

It's also a longer game for the IC and investigators. Nobody wants to be the guy who let Benedict Arnold 2.0 escape free because he or she didn't properly acquire a warrant, or some other technical mishap. They have to get this right and it'll take a long time, as it did with Nixon.

Trump's stupidity really helps. He basically tainted Nunes and Pompeo last week by demanding they defend him to the media; neither could credibly lead an investigation now. And now Sessions won't be able to do it either.

Imagine that poor low-grade staffer who had to sit outside Trump's bedroom all night so they could grab his attention ASAP after waking up to make sure he didn't tweet anything about this. Laugh after imagining, of course.
We're cooking with gas now, boys.
In the Trump administration we use coal, tyvm.

No one else probably cares but jobless claims for this week are an absurdly low 223K. That's the lowest level since 1972 when there were like 120M fewer people in the country. Kind of amazing given all the fear about robots / brown people taking our jobs.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
edit. God dammit... wrong thread

Although watching Ted Cruz say "Nothingburger" makes me want to snap my desk in half

Wilsongt

That's what I am thinking. Whatever Flynn was was small potatos compared to AG. He's not going anywhere.

Vixdean

Remember, Cruz was one of the first to come out and compare Putin favorably to Obama. He's also consistently downplayed the entire Russia thing from the start. Time to stop believing in coincidence.

Blader

Why do they do this to themselves? When it comes out that this isn't nothing, they just look like fools. Especially since he could have just... not made a statement.

Ted Cruz is a genetically programmed loser. He staked his outsider insurgent credentials on forcing a goverment shutdown, which was for nothing and he got nothing out of it; he lost his presidential primary race, in a complete rebuttal of his "The voters just want a real conservative candidate" argument; he actually stood up for himself and his family by refusing to endorse Trump, only to endorse him less than two months later at the expense of his wife and father's dignity, which almost immediately ran into the buzzsaw of Trump bragging about grab 'em by the pussy.

I don't think it's even a conscious choice anymore. Cruz is, deep in his bones, a loser who will always make the wrong decisions.

Ted Cruz is a genetically programmed loser. He staked his outsider insurgent credentials on forcing a goverment shutdown, which was for nothing and he got nothing out of it; he lost his presidential primary race, in a complete rebuttal of his "The voters just want a real conservative candidate" argument; he actually stood up for himself and his family by refusing to endorse Trump, only to endorse him less than two months later at the expense of his wife and father's dignity, which almost immediately ran into the buzzsaw of Trump bragging about grab 'em by the pussy.

I don't think it's even a conscious choice anymore. Cruz is, deep in his bones, a loser who will always make the wrong decisions.

Yeah, he's probably doing this to avoid being primaried but he'll probably be primaried anyway.

Holy shit at Chaffetz's statement.

We're cooking with gas now, boys.

If anyone can find a way to walk this back later, it's him.

Anyway, love this metaphor from Josh Marshall today:

Astronomers can't see black holes directly. They map them by their event horizon and their effect on nearby stars and stellar matter. We can't see yet what's at the center of the Trump/Russia black hole. But we can tell a lot about its magnitude by the scope of the event horizon and the degree of its gravitational pull, which is immense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If anyone can find a way to walk this back later, it's him.

Anyway, love this metaphor from Josh Marshall today:

Yup. Before this a valid assumption was that this only affected Trump's inner circle. That's out the window now. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if something came out about Ryan.

I wonder if Trump's closeness with Sessions is enough to shield the kiebler elf from Trump's inevitable anger that the first positive news cycle he's had since he became President just got trampled on and now tons of high ranking GOP people are calling for at least recusal, if not his resignation from others.

Slacker

My favorite part of all this is the idea that a new scandal ruined Trump's one moment of positive coverage over his stupid ass speech the other night. The thought of those tiny fists slamming down on his desk in frustration warms my cockles.

Getting the klan member out of the AG's office will be icing on the cake.

Anyone catch Schumer's interview on North this morning? Was recorded pre-Sessions bombshell, but it gave me a lot of faith in how he's gonna be running the Senate Dems.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
MARK HALPERIN just layed out in clear terms why this is a bombshell. If it was just an innocent conversation in the context of him being a senator there would have been zero reason not to disclose it. There's clearly a bigger thing at play.

McCarthy now saying Sessions should recuse himself.
Yep. Just say I speak with the diplomatic representatives of many countries in my duties on the armed services committee and in the senate. This would have still been an issue given the larger context of the investigations, but it wouldn't have been perjury.

Plinko

Erica Werner‏ @ericawerner

McCarthy forced to walk back/clarify earlier comments on Sessions-- is NOT calling for him to recuse himself

Bwahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom