• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernie seems happy about Trump's latest move.

gqyq2NA.png

Bernie is such a puppet. These words will be cherry picked by Trump in the future to defend his presidency despite the fact that the net effect of his election will be disastrous for working people.

Trump starts at 45/45 JOB approval rating in Gallup.

This is different than this favorables, and also different from Obama where his favorables always usually outpaced his job approval.

Better numbers than some pollsters have been showing but still quite bad for a new president. The good news is that presidents usually have trouble matching their initial popularity and Trump would have a hard time getting re-elected if he loses pretty much any support given how narrowly he won (collective margin of <40K in MI/WI/PA made the difference). That having been said, "usually" doesn't mean "always" and these aren't dreadful numbers in an absolute sense.

We really need some discussion about how fucking stupid Michael Flynn is.

Who commits treason in a phone call to an obviously tapped phone? How stupid is this guy?

How stupid is someone who checks into a hotel room in Moscow and has a sex party? I mean, somewhere in hopefully-forgotten Soviet archives there are also recordings of Bernie and Jane on their honeymoon.

dramatis

Man, my mom was already complaining that regular items (soap/food/toilet paper) were getting more and more expensive over the years even with reduced sizes.

Prices will probably go even further up the next few years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man, my mom was already complaining that regular items (soap/food/toilet paper) were getting more and more expensive over the years even with reduced sizes.

Prices will probably go even further up the next few years.

Which is exactly what republicans want. A class of ruling rich and everyone else on the bottom.

For the first time in my life, I had a vivid dream about social issues last night. I dreamed the rich had enslaved us lower- and middle-income people. We couldn't escape. It was awful.

Which is exactly what republicans want. A class of ruling rich and everyone else on the bottom.

For the first time in my life, I had a vivid dream about social issues last night. I dreamed the rich had enslaved us lower- and middle-income people. We couldn't escape. It was awful.
They already have unfortunately. Equity ownership in businesses is reserved only for the wealthiest individuals, no matter how hard employees work. Its a trash system that demonstrates the dying breaths of capitalism.

Trump starts at 45/45 JOB approval rating in Gallup.

This is different than this favorables, and also different from Obama where his favorables always usually outpaced his job approval.

For reference: Gallup had Obama's last job approval ratings from (1/11/17) at 58% approve 37% disapprove.

45/45 means that Trump has barely done anything and half the population ALREADY takes issue with the job he has done so far.

The VA House was supposed to be gerrymandered to stop a Democratic win.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...this-year-and-Clinton-won-a-majority-of-seats

Virginia_State_House_Districts_by_2015_House_and_2016_Presidential_Party.png

While most state legislatures aren’t up for election until 2018, all 100 members of Virginia’s House of Delegates will go before voters this November. Here at Daily Kos Elections, we’ve been hard at work calculating the results of the 2016 presidential election for each seat, and the numbers are both very revealing—and, potentially, very promising.

Here’s the good news: Hillary Clinton carried the Old Dominion 50-45 last fall, and she also won 51 of the 100 seats in the state House, despite the fact that Republicans drew these very lines to benefit themselves during the last round of redistricting. What’s more, even though Barack Obama won a similar 51-47 victory four years ago, he only carried 47 state House seats, so recent trends are in Democrats’ favor. (To let you drill down further, Stephen Wolf has created an interactive map to show which seats are represented by which party, and who won each seat in the presidential race.)

sphagnum

Banned
Bernie (or at least a staffer) seems to have picked up on the emoluments thing.

HOAJQR6.jpg

So your dream was just reality?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Bernie is such a puppet. These words will be cherry picked by Trump in the future to defend his presidency despite the fact that the net effect of his election will be disastrous for working people.

No, that's what happens when a politician has actual principles and they stand by them regardless of the situation.

Sanders has, and continues to, ardently opposed Trump on many issues. He has opposed the TPP and he continues to oppose it regardless of who it is that is voiding it.

JP_

Banned
Watching press conference, it's night and day. They're playing this smart. Basically laid traps for media. Media needs to step up their game.

NC is moving in the opposite direction since 2008.
Well kind of. NC has made a gradual blue shift since then, since it's about 5.5 points more Republican than the country as a whole compared with being a little under R+7 in 2008, it's just that it also isn't in the DC spillover territory and doesn't have a Dem stronghold that can lock the state down like Twin Cities can.

Press needs to start asking more loaded questions, IMO. Administration has already made it clear that they'll be attacking you constantly, might as well make them look stupid doing it.

kirblar

Well kind of. NC has made a gradual blue shift since then, since it's about 5.5 points more Republican than the country as a whole compared with being a little under R+7 in 2008, it's just that it also isn't in the DC spillover territory and doesn't have a Dem stronghold that can lock the state down like Twin Cities can.
Businesses and People also ran from the state in the wake of the GOP bathroom laws.

John Bel Edwards is much better than Republicans, but Edwards is still reallllly racist.

"Resisting an officer or battery of a police officer was just that charge, simply. But now, Governor Edwards, in the legislation, made it a hate crime now," said Hebert.

Under the new law, Hebert says any offender who resists, or gets physical, with an officer can be charged with a felony hate crime.

http://www.katc.com/story/34310586/...e-change-comes-with-states-new-hate-crime-law

This is probably the most racist law passed in a good while.

North Carolina:

2008: R+6.8
2012: R+5.9
2016: R+5.6

Virginia:

2008: R+0.9
2012: D+0.0
2016: D+3.3

Georgia:

2008: R+12.4
2012: R+11.7
2008: R+7.0

The VA House was supposed to be gerrymandered to stop a Democratic win.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...this-year-and-Clinton-won-a-majority-of-seats

Virginia_State_House_Districts_by_2015_House_and_2016_Presidential_Party.png
Democrats have a big opportunity in Virginia this November if Trump's approvals are in the toilet.

Same with NJ, but reversed - flip the governor's race, hold the legislature. Two split governments would come under total Dem control overnight.

Now imagine Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico and Vermont's gubernatorial races going Dem in 2018 as well. You'd go from only 6 full Democratic states (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Oregon, Rhode Island) to 14.

Just remember, if you rearrange the letters in "Republicans have near full control of the government" it spells "Opportunity"!

nitronite

Iraq is basically a fucking ally, why does Trump want to re-invade Iraq? What the fuck is going on? Is this just some horrible acid trip?

https://twitter.com/jessicaschulb/status/823621013720154113

We're only 40 years away from it being a blue state.

Can we move DC to North Carolina.

The official reasoning is that Trump, as a smart negotiator, always wants to keep all his options open and be unpredictable.

Overall, I must say, much better performance from Spicer. Will be interesting to see how it is reported on. Also, shame that nobody asked about the pending emoluments lawsuit.

Okay, so let's imagine the economy is in terrible shape and Trump is correct

The first response to that is not to put a hiring freeze on the largest employer in the country. That makes no sense at all and seems counter productive to fixing the imaginary recession.

If Walmart (the second largest employer in the US) said they were implementing a hiring freeze, there would be mass panic over the health and future of the economy. But apparently it's different when the government does it. Even though federal jobs are still jobs.

The official reasoning is that Trump, as a smart negotiator, always wants to keep all his options open and be unpredictable.

Overall, I must say, much better performance from Spicer. Will be interesting to see how it is reported on. Also, shame that nobody asked about the pending emoluments lawsuit.

"Unpredictability" is the single worst possible thing to have in foreign policy.

There are 5000 U.S. troops inside the Iraqi army, if Iraq gets the idea that we're going to plunder their country, guess what, those troops are gonna become hostages.

Grexeno

Okay, so let's imagine the economy is in terrible shape and Trump is correct

The first response to that is not to put a hiring freeze on the largest employer in the country. That makes no sense at all and seems counter productive to fixing the imaginary recession.
The goal is to break the government, and nothing else.

The goal is to break the government, and nothing else.

And take the entire economy and your party and re-election with it?

Millions of people can blame Trump, directly, for not getting a raise or not getting a job this year. They can point to him, specifically, as the person who did this.

nitronite

"Unpredictability" is the single worst possible thing to have in foreign policy.

There are 5000 U.S. troops inside the Iraqi army, if Iraq gets the idea that we're going to plunder their country, guess what, those troops are getting kidnapped.

Do you really think they would do that, knowing how unpredictable he is? For all everyone knows, he might just nuke them... I mean, this is a guy who got triggered over crowd sizes!

I do agree that being unpredictable towards your allies is majorly detrimental in terms of relationships.

Do you really think they would do that, knowing how unpredictable he is? For all everyone knows, he might just nuke them... I mean, this is a guy who got triggered over crowd sizes!

I do agree that being unpredictable towards your allies is majorly detrimental in terms of relationships.

Trump is a fucking coward who never does shit to people who are strong and hit him. Kim Jong-un or ISIS or some other nihilist will troll Trump and Trump will respond as weakly as possible.

And there's this as well.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/823626544228732929

now ISIS can say "do you want to fight with us, or do you want to fight with the people who will help the americans rob you"

Grexeno

And take the entire economy and your party and re-election with it?

Millions of people can blame Trump, directly, for not getting a raise or not getting a job this year. They can point to him, specifically, as the person who did this.
The Democrats affected weren't voting for him anyway.

The Republicans will rationalize it.

The other Republicans don't thing government workers are people.

The Democrats affected weren't voting for him anyway.

The Republicans will rationalize it.

The other Republicans don't thing government workers are people.

Not every government worker is a hard line Democrat voter.

We're talking about the largest employer in the country by a large margin. The federal government employs 2,711,000 million people. That's more than double what #2 employs (Walmart)!

That's almost 3 million people not getting raises this year thanks to Trump.

nitronite

Trump is a fucking coward who never does shit to people who are strong and hit him. Kim Jong-un or ISIS or some other nihilist will troll Trump and Trump will respond as weakly as possible.

And there's this as well.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/823626544228732929

What ISIS says shouldn't in my opinion dictate what the US does or doesn't do as they will always accuse the US of any and all sins regardless. So that's a weak argument, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I do not support taking the oil from Iraq

samn

Bernie is doing and saying the right thing. Being reasonable on a handful of points while railing against his corrupt agenda the other 99% of the time. If he didn't comment favourably on this, considing his stance, he'd lose credibility

For reference: Gallup had Obama's last job approval ratings from (1/11/17) at 58% approve 37% disapprove.

45/45 means that Trump has barely done anything and half the population ALREADY takes issue with the job he has done so far.

I still don't read anything into polls after what happened and after that march on the weekend I'd be surprised if any Trump supporters answered truthfully.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion-proc-9570

A new national pride stirs the American soul and inspires
the American heart. We are one people, united by a common
destiny and a shared purpose.
Freedom is the birthright of all Americans, and to preserve
that freedom we must maintain faith in our sacred values and
heritage.

Our Constitution is written on parchment, but it lives in
the hearts of the American people. There is no freedom where the
people do not believe in it; no law where the people do not
follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it.
There are no greater people than the American citizenry,
and as long as we believe in ourselves, and our country, there
is nothing we cannot accomplish.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United
States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by
the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby
proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic
Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to
our country -- and to renew the duties of Government to the
people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand
seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of
America the two hundred and forty-first.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
They already have unfortunately. Equity ownership in businesses is reserved only for the wealthiest individuals, no matter how hard employees work. Its a trash system that demonstrates the dying breaths of capitalism.

I don't think that is true in general. Plenty of people are rich because they have equity, rather than having equity because they are rich (like Gates for example), because they built their own businesses.

If you want to get an equity position through being an employee you're on a hiding to nothing mostly. Start your own business instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom