• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, when exactly are the next maps going be drawn? 2021 or 2022?
They need to be in place for the 2022 elections (and the primaries etc.). So most in 2021, a few might slip into early 2022.

Virginia for example holds its next gubernatorial election in 2021, they'll probably hold off on drawing the congressional lines until after that happens (but I believe they need to draw their new state house/senate lines before then as those will be having elections in 2021 as well).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They need to be in place for the 2022 elections (and the primaries etc.). So most in 2021, a few might slip into early 2022.

Virginia for example holds its next gubernatorial election in 2021, they'll probably hold off on drawing the congressional lines until after that happens (but I believe they need to draw their new state house/senate lines before then as those will be having elections in 2021 as well).

So that means that for the most part, our last chance to reverse this gerrymandering mess is in 2018?

Wow Morning Joe is really ripping into Trump.

Also I saw a bit of the speech on Sunday where Trump had a supposedly "softer" tone. He did indeed have a softer tone, but he was reading directly off his prepared notes. It keeps him out of trouble, but you can tell they're not his words or even words he agrees with.

Diablos

LUea3MO.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/22/us/politics/donald-trump-aides-rocky-first-weekend.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share
hahahaha

The most powerful man in the world is being trolled on twitter. What a world.
He's not going to keep us safe from terrorism. Not to mention he could straight up start advocating for war based on "alternative facts." What a national nightmare we are living in.

dramatis

Clearly the Democrats had other priorities.

I mean, let's be real here... while the "both sides are the same" rhetoric is complete nonsense, let's not paint the Democrats as angels here. They're pretty shitty. It's just that pretty shitty would be a welcome alternative to what Trump brings to the table.

The fact that 6 out of the 7 DNC chair hopefuls took a vacation while the rest of the world rose up to combat Trump head on should not fall on deaf ears.
If anything, it should tell us that we need some additional chair hopefuls beyond that sorry lot.
I'm quite sure this was covered already, but you don't seem to understand that you are mistaking an operational role for a political one. One of the main parts of the job of the DNC chair is to raise money for the party. Not all actions to fight Trump have to be head on.

The DNC chair is not supposed to be a high-profile outspoken advocate for the platform or a leader of the party. That's the jobs of the politicians.

Are there any Trump approval rating polls yet? Today we should be able to get a first 3 day sample.
I can't believe I have to follow fucking President Trump approval for the next four* years.

Hope it starts in the 30s and never gets any higher. Just his deplorable base and no one else, not even people who voted for him.

Anyone think Gallup might jump into political polling again? The narrative coming out of 2016 is that the polls were all bupkis (at least the state polls were, but few will draw that distinction) seems like a good opportunity to regain their former glory if they even come close in the next election.

I'd prepare for disappointment if you're looking for comedy in the press conference. It'll just spark more rage. He's not going to answer any questions he personally don't like, and pass on questions that Trump personally told him not to discuss. If the press actually gives him a hard time he'll scream bias and walk out. We've already seen that that this is a "different" format.

NewFresh

This is why Trump will win in 2020. No matter how much he lies, media will just spew whatever he says at first at least.

You can show them that they were better off under Obama, and they will disagree because they feel like they are worse.

You can show them they are worse off under Trump, and they will disagree because they feel like they are better.

I honestly don't know how to combat that.

thefro

Indiana State Senator Jack Sandlin (R) under fire for sharing meme on Facebook that Women's March was "fat women out walking".

Indy Star said:
Indiana Sen. Jack E. Sandlin is facing a social media backlash for a Facebook post that called the masses gathered for last weekend's Women's March "fat women out walking."

Sandlin, a Republican who represents 36th District voters who live between 10th Street and south of Greenwood in Johnson County, took down the message but not before screenshots had been widely shared on Facebook and Twitter.

The post in question went up Sunday and showed a photo of a mass of protesters, many in pink hats and carrying signs, with the words "In one day Trump got more fat women out walking than Michelle Obama did in 8 years."
EDYYwnu.jpg

He's not sure how it ended up there.

Indy Star said:
Sandlin, a rookie senator, deleted the photo and posted a new message about midnight Monday.

"Apparently there is an offensive post on Facebook that's attributed to me about women in Washington marching," Sandlin wrote. "Not sure how that ended up on my Facebook wall but that certainly does not reflect my opinion of women. People who know me will know that's not my view."

Sandlin's explanation post had more than 950 comments by 7 a.m.

In an interview with IndyStar, Sandlin said he spent the weekend in Washington for the inauguration. He spent most of Sunday traveling.

He said deleted the post shortly after someone alerted him to it at about 11:30 p.m.

He said he believes someone else posted the message to his Facebook wall.

"I don't believe that I put it there," Sandlin said. "There's always an outside chance that I could have hit something. I know others that have had stuff show up on their Facebook wall as well."

This is why Trump will win in 2020. No matter how much he lies, media will just spew whatever he says at first at least.

conversely, the vague tariff policy he just announced will be why he'll lose, because that's going to hit people in the pocketbook like a fucking sledgehammer if actually implemented

Where's the No Taxes = Infinite Revenue chicken hawk meme picture? Google was just getting me a bunch of unironic libertarian trash.

Because Trump seems to taking it as a literal fact.

nitronite

Marco Rubio will be supporting Rex Tillerson, despite 'reservations'.

Marco Rubio said:
Mr. Tillerson is likely to have a potentially unprecedented level of influence over the direction of our foreign policy. I remain concerned that in the years to come, our country will not give the defense of democracy and human rights the priority they deserve, and will pursue a foreign policy that too often sets aside our values and our historic alliances in pursuit of flawed geopolitical deals.
But in making my decision on his nomination, I must balance these concerns with his extensive experience and success in international commerce, and my belief that the president is entitled to significant deference when it comes to his choices for the cabinet. Given the uncertainty that exists both at home and abroad about the direction of our foreign policy, it would be against our national interests to have this confirmation unnecessarily delayed or embroiled in controversy. Therefore, despite my reservations, I will support Mr. Tillerson's nomination in committee and in the full Senate.

Source

Trump stays winning.

High tariffs on imports are going to wreck my hobbies.

Like, every video game and board game is imported, and basically every BluRay as well...

Heck, even most of my aquarium live stock are imported...

nitronite

High tariffs on imports are going to wreck my hobbies.

Like, every video game and board game is imported, and basically every BluRay as well...

Heck, even most of my aquarium live stock are imported...

I think the idea behind it, whether right or wrong, is to impose a border tax on businesses which close factories in the US and consequently outsource those jobs elsewhere while now exporting that product into the US. This is consistent with what both Trump has said repeatedly on the campaign trail and in debates, and with what the Secretary of Treasury nominee, Steve Mnuchin, said in his confirmation hearing.

So I don't think you'll have to worry about a blanket import/border tax.

So at this point it's not a matter of if, but when, everything collapses and goes badly. The entire GOP has hitched their horse to Trump so hard I'm almost wondering if they're just betting there'll never be a free election in the US again because otherwise the backlash is gonna have to be rough for them, right?

So at this point it's not a matter of if, but when, everything collapses and goes badly. The entire GOP has hitched their horse to Trump so hard I'm almost wondering if they're just betting there'll never be a free election in the US again because otherwise the backlash is gonna have to be rough for them, right?

Even if Democrats crush the GOP nationwide in 2018 and 2020, people will eventually forget what the GOP did and vote for them in 2022 or whenever

Demographic changes are what will be hard for them in the future, mostly. Its a question of just how much white Republican voters will be willing to give in terms of party platform going forward.

They don't believe their plans will destroy the US's economy and they believe they'll get an even larger mandate in midterms due to the prosperity brought by their ideas. They live with hardcore 80s nostalgia.

They've been coasting the last 8 years because they could easily blame Obama for everything. It's made them complacent and confident that they can do no wrong.

There's also probably a good number who know they're out in 2 years and so they just want to grab all the money they possibly can before the jig is up.

Marco and McCain don't have to run for anything for six years and they still flushed away their beliefs for nothing.

I don't think you can be more of a coward than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom