• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, except the House Committee was in shambles and was doing nothing.

This was House Oversight, not House Intel.

Oversight has been steadily grinding forward on this. Once they asked for the documents, Flynn started acting differently. Now the White House has officially denied access to those documents. This forced Chafettz to call out the White House.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This was House Oversight, not House Intel.

Oversight has been steadily grinding forward on this. Once they asked for the documents, Flynn started acting differently. Now the White House has officially denied access to those documents. This forced Chafettz to call out the White House.

Ah, OK. Thought there may be a discrepancy there somewhere.

royalan

Elizabeth Warren is the guest on Ezra Klein podcast this week.

She is such a good speaker. Every Democrat should be forced to listen to and study how she orates.

Barzul

There isn't going to be any tax reform. They lost their chance to do so.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/25/donald-trump-tax-plan-democrats-237575

Reading this politico article, I'm not sure these tax cuts even pass. Automatic no from the fiscal hawks. It just feels cobbled together.

As of Monday evening, Hatch said that he had yet to see the administration’s proposal. As for the 15 percent corporate rate, Hatch expressed skepticism.

"He's always wanted to do that. I’m not sure that he's going to be able to get away with that because you won't very well be able to balance the budget,” Hatch told POLITICO before answering a call on his cell from his former chief-of-staff turned White House staffer, Rob Porter.

I mean reading stuff like this, no way it stays deficit neutral. The border adjustment tax and Obamacare repeal was how they were going to offset decreased revenue from the corporate tax cuts. Without that, it's not possible unless they do what Schumer and Portman suggested with providing a way for corporations to one-time repatriate overseas cash with reduced tax penalties, even then not sure Trump is ready to make the concessions needed for any real Democrat support besides the likes of Manchin's etc.

How long till a statement from Sessions?

Incoming:

giphy.gif

Since the wall has been taken out of the budget, is it likely that the government wont get shut down now?

They'll try to avoid the first 100 days so they'll probably give it an extension but the Republicans can't seem to come to a consensus on anything among themselves, so I'd say it's only a matter of time.

barber

Since the wall has been taken out of the budget, is it likely that the government wont get shut down now?
The problem was not only the wall but rather that they started the drafts in the last days. A decision such as wall Y/N should have been taken before as there are still some other stuff that the republican holdouts will argue for (mainly reducing deficit from the Freedom Caucus I guess, but also some of the infrastructure stuff).
TLDR: acting like first year uni students trying to do all the project in the last day, still less likely now to have a shut down

Tom Perriello wrote a Medium piece on "Southern culture"

https://medium.com/tom-for-virginia/the-real-impact-of-ignorant-politicians-7355799e5c19

What image do you see when you hear “Southern culture” or “Southern voters”?
Too often, these terms are used as shorthand for white, conservative Southerners who live below the Mason-Dixon Line. This pattern completely obscures the real and valuable experiences of Black Virginians.

Desperate politicians continue to stoke neo-confederate sentiments — and the implications are real and harmful.

When the Civil War raged, a majority of the people living in my hometown of Charlottesville and in Albemarle County were Black slaves. Those who liberated Richmond from the Confederacy were mostly southerners — and a great many of them were recently freed Black people, fighting for both their own dignity and the future of our Union. Growing up in Virginia, I often wondered why I was supposed to identify with those who fought for the Confederacy instead of those Virginians who fought with great courage to save the Union and end our greatest sin.

Unfortunately, years later, we still see people like Corey Stewart touting an ignorant, backward-looking view of Virginia. Too often, even among white liberals, we play into this false narrative. We do so every time we talk about Lincoln freeing the slaves, discounting the efforts that free Black people played in saving the Union.

Viewing history from this vantage, I’m reminded of the story of a young Black man working in Richmond at the Virginia legislature in the final days of the Civil War. When his state of Virginia seceded from the Union and the American flag was brought down, he was the one who stored that flag for safekeeping. Eventually Richmond was liberated by brave soldiers, then this proud Black Virginian hoisted that flag back up for all to see, saying it was the only flag he’d ever known.

I witnessed a similar dynamic when I was helping to organize an interfaith coalition on poverty and climate issues. The news media regularly commented on how evangelical Christians overwhelmingly supported the Republican Party. What they meant was white evangelicals. What they missed or ignored was the fact that the most consistent religious voting bloc in America is one that consistently votes overwhelmingly for Democrats: the African-American community of evangelicals.

These are not merely slips of the tongue; they’re a reflection of our culture, real or imagined. When politicians or media perpetuate ignorant statements, they are participating, wittingly or not, in the systemic erasure of our real and shared heritage. I am compelled to call them out and make the effort to set the historical record straight. The role of African Americans deserves accurate and equal footing as we tell the American and Southern story and reclaim our heritage, free from the ignorance of people like Corey Stewart.

Chris Cillizza, who holds a record of BUT HER EMAILSZ stories for wapo and CNN is having a mini meltdown over twitter because he is hounding Chelsea Clinton and wrote an opinion piece on CNN defending Ivanka saying we shouldnt attack her. Trash.

pigeon

Banned
Chris Cillizza, who holds a record of BUT HER EMAILSZ stories for wapo and CNN is having a mini meltdown over twitter because he is hounding Chelsea Clinton and wrote an opinion piece on CNN defending Ivanka saying we shouldnt attack her. Trash.

I can imagine few things more privileged than being part of the media mob that hounded Hillary in 2016 and imagining that her daughter must immediately want to be exposed to the same treatment.

studyguy

"One of the dumber and least respected of the political pundits" -- Donald Trump is his Twitter headline. Only good readings Trump has had for a while.

kirblar

WaPo media reporting beat guys like him and Kurtz have turned out to be irredeemably awful people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still laugh every time I hear any republican say their tax plan will work great because "we'll have 9% growth."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom