• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I'd be fine with legislating this, but I also hold my party leaders to higher ethical standards and this is a clear failure on that part.

Carter didn't need to grift after finishing his presidency, I don't see why Obama (or Clinton, or any other hypothetical future Democratic presidents) should either.
Grift. Really? You view this as criminal?
Carter can get paid speaking fees and has in the past, he just uses the entirety of the money for his social work.
So again, this is just a double standard.

Oh please, if the head of Goldman or Apple or Ford want the ear of the President or future President or past President, they don't need to pay them anything. They just have their people call their people.

What are you all, 12?

So, what's the complaint, that he's speaking to bankers, or he's making a lot of money doing so? Because if you hate bankers, shouldn't you want them to give up a lot of their money?

So, what's the complaint, that he's speaking to bankers, or he's making a lot of money doing so? Because if you hate bankers, shouldn't you want them to give up a lot of their money?

Not enough imo. 1 billion dollar speaking fees and we can start talking.

But seriously though, the moral handwringing over the potential implication of taking money from rich people to act as a status symbol after leaving office is silly. It's a Bernie campaign talking point and that's all it is.

Pusha_93

Neo Member
So, GOP released the full text for their new amendment and.... MacArthur pretty much gave the HFC everything they wanted short of full repeal.

Wow.

I think Obama's speaking fees sort of undercut the moral points he wants to make later and underscore his views of where the Democratic party should go, but whatever.

I don't have an issue with him endorsing Macron.

So, GOP released the full text for their new amendment and.... MacArthur pretty much gave the HFC everything they wanted short of full repeal.

Wow.

I'm sure Republicans in swing states, already nervous from Georgia and Kentucky, will just be chomping at the bit to vote yes on this.

Vimes

Everyone kinda has to or it might look like Clinton got held to a completely different standard than literally everyone else.

Yup. I fully expect berniecrats to perfomatively fall out of love with Obama now. Otherwise they'd have to admit sexism played a part in their holding Clinton to a different rubric.

Not enough imo. 1 billion dollar speaking fees and we can start talking.

But seriously though, the moral handwringing over the potential implication of taking money from rich people to act as a status symbol after leaving office is silly. It's a Bernie campaign talking point and that's all it is.

its absolutely not and the inability of people to see that is a huge problem with democrats. majority of americans make 50k or so as a family. and this dude makes 8 times that for 30 minutes. That's abhorrent on a moral level. Nothing obama will do in that speech deserves that kind of outsized compensation compared to people who work in a factory, in a mcdonalds or in an office job.

why do they need to do these things. they only hurt and this doesn't do anything but make obama even more obscenely wealthy. He's worth 12 million.

Puts some money in investments, get a teaching gig but don't fucking take wall street speaking money. It undermines our legit believes about redistribution of wealth

kirblar

Since when did Bernie people love Obama?
The dissonance with some of them loving him yet whining about "THE ESTABLISHMENT" was definitely there.
its absolutely not and the inability of people to see that is a huge problem with democrats. majority of americans make 50k or so as a family. and this dude makes 8 times that for 30 minutes. That's abhorrent on a moral level. Nothing obama will do in that speech deserves that kind of outsized compensation compared to people who work in a factory, in a mcdonalds or in an office job.

why do they need to do these things. they only hurt and this doesn't do anything but make obama even more obscenely wealthy. He's worth 12 million.

Puts some money in investments, get a teaching gig but don't fucking take wall street speaking money. It undermines our legit believes about redistribution of wealth
And how do you feel about Pro Athletes and Movie Stars, exactly?

Celebrities make money because they're unique.

tbm24

not to millionares
All this is based on the assumption that Obama is going to take that fee and buy a boat with it. Speaking m engagement are going nowhere and politicians, especially ex presidents not named bush and Trump are high value. Really all the concern is about "how it looks" instead of what it is. Obama has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do without the assumption that he's being short sighted or at worst nefarious in intention.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Took a peak at R/donald today. Nothing about Government shut down, border compromise, or judge blocking EO, but about 3 or 4 threads about Bill Nye.

Saw someone on my facebook posted something about him and googled him a bunch of shit popped up. What the fuck did Bill do?

And how do you feel about Pro Athletes and Movie Stars, exactly?

Celebrities make money because they're unique.

Pro athletes and Movie stars don't make money because they are unique, they make money because they have a union. Movie stars and athletes were getting screwed before they organized (Hey NCAA players!)

All this is based on the assumption that Obama is going to take that fee and buy a boat with it. Speaking m engagement are going nowhere and politicians, especially ex presidents not named bush and Trump are high value. Really all the concern is about "how it looks" instead of what it is. Obama has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do without the assumption that he's being short sighted or at worst nefarious in intention.

I disagree.

Its bullshit he's free from criticism.

Why can't he just not take the money.

kirblar

I disagree.

Because then he wouldn't have the money! He shows up at a party, gets a check, which he can then likely use to fund whatever personal or political cause he wants!

He's not running for office, he's not the face of the party, and the Dems need cash.

Saw someone on my facebook posted something about him and googled him a bunch of shit popped up. What the fuck did Bill do?

He's been in the news lately, usually see him trying to educate conservatives on climate change. Judging by that much attention its very possible that the russian trolls have turned their attention to him.

tbm24

I disagree.

It's bullshit that your concern stems entirely on the optics because he is the most recent ex-democratic president. You would prefer him not to so it doesn't come up in the future when it's not politically expedient. Obama has earned the right to be an indidivual and make choices as one without the assumption that he's being selfish which seems to be your assumption. You don't know his plans for the future for himself or anything he plans on supporting. You don't know what he plans to do with the money.

Rhode Island has roughly the same population as Montana, so we'd have 8 of 16 (which could obviously be 6 of 16 if not for Heitkamp and Tester)

I think there's a slight advantage in favor of the GOP but it's not *that* big

edit: Montana gets fucked in distribution of house seats. They only have 1, but Rhode Island has 2 even though they're pretty close.

So I don't know how this got started by a comment on Senators (which of course is 2 no matter what), but we should absolutely repeal the 1929 House Reapportionment Act if we get the chance, and just make House districts commensurate to Wyoming (how many Reps does a state get? How many Wyomings is the state?) It would only lead to like 500-600 Reps which is manageable.

Here we go. Time to throw Obama under the BernieBus

Obama to give $400,000 speech at Wall Street conference

MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES

Apparently everyone should become a hermit after public office lest they give off the appearance of being a celebrity.

Not in the front though. That's just not how things work.

It's bad """"optics"""" either way

I don't necessarily fault Obama for doing it, especially since he won't run for anything ever again, but meh. Not a good look (tho because he isn't running for anything I don't think this will ever be more than a blip of an issue)

kirblar

It's bad """"optics"""" either way

I don't necessarily fault Obama for doing it, especially since he won't run for anything ever again, but meh. Not a good look (tho because he isn't running for anything I don't think this will ever be more than a blip of an issue)
Literally every other politician does it and none of them get flack for it. Because none of them run again for office except for Hillary, who was the exception that proved the rule.

Hell, if Obama, the insanely popular first black President of the US, turned down cash like this for a quick generic speech, I'd say he needed to be asked to step out of the party for being a complete and total moron.

maybe it's not a good thing that politicians get paid a huge amount for speeches and just because it's common doesn't mean it's right
I mean they're paid largely for celebrity.

I mean $50k for Laura Bush gets what exactly. Lol.

If the issue is access by the powerful to the powerful as noted already, no one needs to organise these speeches to talk to Obama.

tbm24

maybe it's not a good thing that politicians get paid a huge amount for speeches and just because it's common doesn't mean it's right
At that stage your issue is with the institutions that seek out paid guest speakers and in fact pay them. It's only an option because these companies provide the budget to do so. It's not in Obama on that's what they value his time at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom