• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, read that again. Clinton is concurring with Charles Murray that reducing aid to poor people black people can keep their population down. He's just not sure if he can pursue that policy and still sleep at night.

If you take the color out of that, wouldn't you agree than single mothers choosing to have less kids would be a good thing? From there, Clinton basically says that starving people to achieve that is immoral.

Blader

So how much of Trump's agenda is already dead?

I feel like infrastructure will literally never happen, which is probably a shame ("probably" because there's a good chance it would've been shitty private-sector tax credits than a real public works package). If Trump is having this much trouble getting Republicans onboard with Republican legislation, then a real infrastructure package -- that the administration has been selling from the beginning as something they can work with Democrats on -- is never going to fly. Not in this current Congress anyway.

Nope, read that again. Clinton is concurring with Charles Murray that reducing aid to poor people black people can keep their population down. He's just not sure if he can pursue that policy and still sleep at night.

Again, I don't see much of the problem with his statement unless there's some really obvious paper that shows reducing aid won't decrease unplanned pregnancy. Clinton is pretty clearly saying it would but he thinks it's immoral. Maybe he's wrong! But I don't see an immoral statement.

So how much of Trump's agenda is already dead?

- The wall isn't happening any time soon. No funding and the logistics of acquiring the land and deciding where to build it is basically impossible.
- His travel bans on Muslim nations is unconstitutional, and he seems to have given up on it after having the courts destroy it twice
- Obamacare isn't getting repealed any time soon, but he's not giving up on it. Expect this to keep popping up. He likely thinks this is the "easiest" win for him, since in his mind, the entire country is against it
- Tax reform is stalled due to the failed Obamacare repeal. This likely won't happen any time soon
- He hasn't cut any taxes yet
- His military actions have ranged from being disasters to being pointless shows of strength done for cheap approval points (that he didn't even gain).
- Infrastructure isn't going anywhere

He's pretty much failed at every single major campaign promise, other than filling a SC vacancy that was stolen for him.

Valhelm

contribute something
If you take the color out of that, wouldn't you agree than single mothers choosing to have less kids would be a good thing? From there, Clinton basically says that starving people to achieve that is immoral.

It's not a fucking choice. The proposition, which Clinton considered and ultimately pursued, was taking from the poorest section of society what little access of capital they had, in some grotesque social darwinist ploy to "less the burden" on our society.

If Richard Spencer and Herbert Spencer would both gleefully co-sign your policy, reconsider it.

- The wall isn't happening any time soon. No funding and the logistics of acquiring the land and deciding where to build it is basically impossible.
- His travel bans on Muslim nations is unconstitutional, and he seems to have given up on it after having the courts destroy it twice
- Obamacare isn't getting repealed any time soon, but he's not giving up on it. Expect this to keep popping up. He likely thinks this is the "easiest" win for him, since in his mind, the entire country is against it
- Tax reform is stalled due to the failed Obamacare repeal. This likely won't happen any time soon
- His military actions have ranged from being disasters to being pointless shows of strength done for cheap approval points (that he didn't even gain).

He's pretty much failed at every single major campaign promise, other than filling a SC vacancy that was stolen for him.

I think none of them is going to happen this year. A lot of GOP are worried about midterms because of their and Trump's lack of successes.

Plus the 180 on China, the EU and NATO.
Yeah outside of the SC - while nuking the filibuster - it's all been major Ls and no easy Ds.
It just seems after the ACHA flop Rs in Congress aren't going to be bullied, so his presidency is already "dead" in a way.

Plus the 180 on China, the EU and NATO.
Yeah outside of the SC - while nuking the filibuster - it's all been major Ls and no easy Ds.
It just seems after the ACHA flop Rs in Congress aren't going to be bullied, so his presidency is already "dead" in a way.

When your only major success you can go back to your voters and point to, is appointing a Supreme Court Justice, a mundane task every president does a few times in their career, you know you're scraping the bottom.

The history of that seat and the politics around it also water down that "success" quite a lot. It wasn't even his seat to fill.

Imagine Obama running in 2012 and he kept bringing up his SC appointment as his major accomplishment. It would have been sad to watch.

Valhelm

contribute something
My god. Who cares what Bill Clinton said before most of you were even born.

Because Bill Clinton's policies helped establish our current political climate! When a beloved liberal president agrees with a white supremacist that poor black people should get less assistance, something is very desperately wrong with our politics.

I doubt Bill Clinton is beloved. Nor that what he said 20 something years ago has any bearing on 2017 being desperately wrong.

Bringing up DADT and gay marriage and Bill Clinton's shitty views as a Southern state sourced President is just pointless red herring.

The current push to the centre on social issues is not driven by anyone named Clinton.
It is not 1993.

@frankthorp
JUST IN: Sally Yates will testify before a Senate Judiciary Subcmte on May 8 RE: Russian Interference in the 2016 United States Election
C-Qh7XXXYAEH5Q6.jpg

Grassley seems to be putting his own pressure on the Intel Committee. Remember it was Grassley and Feinstein who walked out of that FBI briefing looking legit shook.

Kate Nocera‏Verified account
@KateNocera

Chaffetz: I see no information that Gen. Flynn complied with the law.

Sarah Mimms‏Verified account @SarahMMimms 39m39 minutes ago
More
Rep. Elijah Cummings says classified docs the committee reviewed on Mike Flynn "are extremely troubling."
Yikes.

Teggy

Oh yeah, this is the guy the Trump campaign fired for starting a protest at the VA RNC after the pussy tape came out. He's actually running for public office?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9f9556-8f2f-11e6-a6a3-d50061aa9fae_story.html

LOL someone hasn't checked his Wikipedia page lately.

Corey Stewart (born August 1, 1968) is an American lawyer and slavery advocate[1].

Edit:

Wow.

Corey Stewart said:
Politicians who are for destroying the statues, monuments and other artifacts of history are just like ISIS.

Because Bill Clinton's policies helped establish our current political climate! When a beloved liberal president agrees with a white supremacist that poor black people should get less assistance, something is very desperately wrong with our politics.

The popular view of Welfare in our society is a lot different now that it was in 92, as has the economic climate around it.

But again that's not what that quote says. He literally says in the quote you posted that he agrees with you that it would be immoral.

Also this is what PoliGAF gets me

J7WpCqJ.png

@frankthorp
JUST IN: Sally Yates will testify before a Senate Judiciary Subcmte on May 8 RE: Russian Interference in the 2016 United States Election
C-Qh7XXXYAEH5Q6.jpg

Grassley seems to be putting his own pressure on the Intel Committee. Remember it was Grassley and Feinstein who walked out of that FBI briefing looking legit shook.

Is this open or closed?

@frankthorp

I don't know much about Grassley, would he be more politically motivated or ideologically motivated?

Blader

I doubt Bill Clinton is beloved. Nor that what he said 20 something years ago has any bearing on 2017 being desperately wrong.

Bringing up DADT and gay marriage and Bill Clinton's shitty views as a Southern state sourced President is just pointless red herring.

The current push to the centre on social issues is not driven by anyone named Clinton.
It is not 1993.

Bill Clinton is still fairly popular. I'd say the bigger reach in that statement would be calling him a liberal president!

I don't know much about Grassley, would he be more politically motivated or ideologically motivated?

It's hard to say. What we do know is that Grassley forced Comey's hand by holding key Justice Department position approvals hostage until Comey came and personally briefed them on the Russia Investigation. After that briefing we got this video of Feinstein and Grassley looking like they just saw a ghost.

My gut instinct is that he is old enough to harbor a healthy animosity toward all things Russia. Whether or not that animosity can overcome partisanship is anyone's guess.

Oh boy. It's an open hearing. Chaired by Lindsey Graham.
C-RV8EVUMAAUhIK.jpg

Vixdean

Flynn is a zealot, all he cared about was wiping out Islamic extremism from the face of the earth. He saw Russia as a partner in that and cared dick all about anything else. His play was basically "I'll help you with sanctions relief if you help me with killing as many Muslims as possible.". At this point though, if he doesn't turn on Trump and co., it probably means there wasn't any actual collusion at that level.

Flynn is a zealot, all he cared about was wiping out Islamic extremism from the face of the earth. He saw Russia as a partner in that and cared dick all about anything else. His play was basically "I'll help you with sanctions relief if you help me with killing as many Muslims as possible.". At this point though, if he doesn't turn on Trump and co., it probably means there wasn't any actual collusion at that level.

I think there is more to it than that even. Flynn was a career military man who never had an opportunity to build massive wealth. I think he was seduced by the massive Russian pay outs. There is a paper trail. All we need is evidence that the White House is actively trying to cover up that paper trail. That's enough.

Charles Murray is basically David Duke with an added veneer of respectability that comes from better credentials and expressing his racism more artfully. Offering even qualified praise of him is really bad. That having been said, that quote is over 20 years old and to the extent that Bill Clinton is still influential, it has little to do with the sorts of policies he was speaking about (again, Hillary's connection to those policies by virtue of their marriage more likely than not cost her votes).

Teggy

Oh my, trump admin is bragging that he signed more executive orders in first 100 days than any other president. Do they think everyone has memories that only stretch back 3 months?

Oh my, trump admin is bragging that he signed more executive orders in first 100 days than any other president. Do they think everyone has memories that only stretch back 3 months?

Most of them are bullshit about "reviewing" departments/laws that aren't going to happen with Lazy Donald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom