• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Obama made a surprise visit to Omaha today, apparently it was him just having lunch with Warren Buffet. No remarks or public appearances.

Wilsongt

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) said on Sunday that he can't say how many people will lose health coverage under the Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act, as it's "up to people" to acquire coverage "if they want it."

If they want to? You mean if they can?

You know what the worst/saddest part of what Paul Ryan said was? Even if you give him that everyone can acquire healthcare if all they do is want it as stupid as that is, there is a large category of diseases that are disease of not having enough want! Depression (and things like parkinson's and other conditions) can cause avolition and a bunch of other fun demotivational symptoms and are conditions that benefit from continuous care/therapy and are the #1 cause of disability here and costs us many lives, dollars, and hours.

Really frustrating as someone who wants to work on and treat these illnesses.

Slizeezyc

You know what the worst/saddest part of what Paul Ryan said was? Even if you give him that everyone can acquire healthcare if all they do is want it as stupid as that is, there is a large category of diseases that are disease of not having enough want! Depression (and things like parkinson's and other conditions) can cause avolition and a bunch of other fun demotivational symptoms and are conditions that benefit from continuous care/therapy and are the #1 cause of disability here and costs us many lives, dollars, and hours.

Really frustrating as someone who wants to work on and treat these illnesses.

Plus, you know, all insurance of all types relies on some of the people (ie, healthy people, or ones avoiding natural disasters with their homes, or being in minor fender benders etc.) not needing the coverage even though they have it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
At my first local indivisible meeting and its for first time timers/orientation. Here's to hoping I can make a difference even here in bay area.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Let's make a deal with republicans. They won't repeal ACA, they get to blame the dems, then run on "repeal and replace!" again in 18 and 20. it's a winning issue I wouldn't want them to forgo it.

Diablos

Let's make a deal with republicans. They won't repeal ACA, they get to blame the dems, then run on "repeal and replace!" again in 18 and 20. it's a winning issue I wouldn't want them to forgo it.
Frankly it would make sense to NOT vote on it now and wait till 2018 when they have even more Senate seats.

Even better, they pass a public option and when the insurance market fails* they can blame the Democrats and sweep to supermajorities!

*it won't

Ogodei

I think this is like pointing towards a racist Trump statement and saying "I don't think he understands how immigration works." He does, he just really wants tax breaks for wealthy people.

Nah, Ryan genuinely wants this. If the government stops coddling people, everyone will get the outcome they "deserve," and presumably the worthy people will better themselves to avoid starvation and death, while the hopeless cases will die and be gone from the Earth.

Nah, Ryan genuinely wants this. If the government stops coddling people, everyone will get the outcome they "deserve," and presumably the worthy people will better themselves to avoid starvation and death, while the hopeless cases will die and be gone from the Earth.
Viola Davis said:
There's one place that all of the people with the greatest potential are gathered. One place, and that's the graveyard.

God, fuck the GOP. Fuck Ryan, fuck Boehner, fuck McConnell, fuck McCain, fuck Romney, and a special fuck you for Trump. Miserable cunts who measure a person's worth by their bank account. No wonder Trump is their president, he's a lousy, bigoted piece of shit with no morals or values who's never accomplished anything of worth other than stumbling his way into billions of dollars.

Yeah, Paul Ryan is a legitimate true believer. He straight up thinks doing these things will help people. Where he's malicious is in his lack of investigation into the outcomes of his policies. It's a religion to him. Ayn Rand was the Prophet.

I mean like Paul Ryan is the person in current politics I hate more than anyone but the most generous interpretation of his beliefs is that he thinks the worthy poor oppressed by welfare won't die. Otherwise I don't see where you guys get this idea that he legitimately thinks this will help people.

tbm24

I mean like Paul Ryan is the person in current politics I hate more than anyone but the most generous interpretation of his beliefs is that he thinks the worthy poor oppressed by welfare won't die. Otherwise I don't see where you guys get this idea that he legitimately thinks this will help people.
Ryan like presumably the majority of elected GOP i believe taken to the idea of the American dream in the most naive way possible. The worthy will make it and those who don't weren't. No other reason why they have a such a zeal against social services/"entitlements".

tuxfool

Banned

It will help society, not people individually.

It will likely get through the house, but I still don't predict it making it past the Senate.

It won't clear the house. Democrats + Freedom Caucus only need like 5-6 other Republicans, and I imagine there's going to be quite a few that oppose this with the tidal wave of negativity they are getting from groups like AARP--especially since they will all be up for re-election in 2018.

Chumley

Banned
Paul Ryan continues his journey to full cartoon caricature status.

Paul Ryan is the stupid persons image of a capable politician, what with his way of speaking and gym bro image. In reality he's an imbecile.

Yeah, Paul Ryan is a legitimate true believer. He straight up thinks doing these things will help people. Where he's malicious is in his lack of investigation into the outcomes of his policies. It's a religion to him. Ayn Rand was the Prophet.

The dude for sure gets fired up for his workouts every morning thinking about Ayn Rand.

Maxim726X

So... Is this getting through the house?

Because I don't see how the traditional conservatives reconcile their differences with the nutjobs in the Freedom Caucus and Tea Partiers.

Correct. Ryan believes that the government has created slave-like jobs that keep people on the dole instead of the old proud careers like Mike Rowe talks about. He legitimately believes that a dismantling of the government will create an industrial revolution where people work 12 hour days and make a bunch of money with no complaints. It's why he always talks about people needing jobs to be happy and shit.

I like to think I'm a good liar (my dad was as pathological as you can be). Ryan has risen as high as he has because he's not really lying; add that true belief and people don't think you're a bullshit artist because you aren't one entirely.

Chumley

Banned
Correct. Ryan believes that the government has created slave-like jobs that keep people on the dole instead of the old proud careers like Mike Rowe talks about. He legitimately believes that a dismantling of the government will create an industrial revolution where people work 12 hour days and make a bunch of money with no complaints. It's why he always talks about people needing jobs to be happy and shit.

I like to think I'm a good liar (my dad was as pathological as you can be). Ryan has risen as high as he has because he's not really lying; add that true belief and people don't think you're a bullshit artist because you aren't one entirely.

It's in the eyes. "It's not a lie if you believe it", and Ryan is a true believer through and through, he looks borderline indoctrinated every time he's talking to someone.

pigeon

Banned

I agree, I think people understand Ryan all wrong. He's a true Randian believer. That doesn't mean he believes Randianism will help the poor. Exactly the opposite! Rand is very clear that helping the poor is MORALLY WRONG.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone listen to Axelrod's interview w/ Kamala yet? Gonna have to check it out on my commute home. I've been devouring Axe Files episodes lately.

also, what a good looking photo: https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/839852690142220288

Just now finally listened to it, and I'm a fan.

Her position on Gorsuch is exactly my position, being pro filibuster on him while being against ending the filibuster on SCOTUS overall, even though I feel pretty lonely here on neogaf on that position.

Just now finally listened to it, and I'm a fan.

Her position on Gorsuch is exactly my position, being pro filibuster on him while being against ending the filibuster on SCOTUS overall, even though I feel pretty lonely here on neogaf on that position.

That position is like being pro-ice cream only diets while against diabetes and obesity. They are inseparable events.

Paul Ryan is the stupid persons image of a capable politician, what with his way of speaking and gym bro image. In reality he's an imbecile.
What's funny is, 99% of ryan haters would sputter, stammer, and look outclassed in a debate with him irl. He's a slick talker for a cheesehead.

He sounded real silly tho, when asked about the tax breaks for the rich in trumpcare. "We promised to repeal all of obamacare" as if he was sorry

Teggy

Looks like Bannon will be named Emperor tomorrow.

Anthony Adragna‏ @AnthonyAdragna

Tomorrow at 4:30 p.m., Trump signs EO entitled "Comprehensive Plan for Reorganizing the Executive Branch"
10:32 PM · Mar 12, 2017

EDIT: this might actually be a joke.

Carlos Curbelo‏Verified account
@carloslcurbelo

.@SteveKingIA What exactly do you mean? Do I qualify as "somebody else's baby?" #concernedGOPcolleague
Congressman Curbelo starting to realize he may have picked the wrong team.

jtb

Banned
I really liked Kamala's interview on the Axe Files, but I was struck by how hedge-y she already was. She's got big plans...

Maengun1

The GOP gaining seats in the midterm would be pretty wierd. It doesn't really matter what the map looks like. 2006 was a pretty crappy map for the Democrats.

I really feel like I have NO IDEA what might happen next year. In theory the midterms should be good for dems regardless of "the map" because now the Rs are in charge and people will associate their problems with them.

But it also feels like the break that happened in the Obama years between the democratic party and racist-rural-uneducated-whites who used to be willing to vote democratic might have been permanent?? The masks are gone now or something. Idk.

I really feel like I have NO IDEA what might happen next year. In theory the midterms should be good for dems regardless of "the map" because now the Rs are in charge and people will associate their problems with them.

But it also feels like the break that happened in the Obama years between the democratic party and racist-rural-uneducated-whites who used to be willing to vote democratic might have been permanent?? The masks are gone now or something. Idk.

That break started to happen in the 90s and didn't stop 2006/2008.

The GOP has a bunch of R+5 districts, which in a normal election benefits them but in a wave election can hurt them quite a bit.

I still think taking back the House will be difficult (and winning the Senate even harder), but it's definitely possible if Trump's approval ratings continue to be in the low 40s. And especially possible if they decide to go through with this healthcare stuff. The people that stand to lose the most are low-income rural seniors (and their families).

C6w-eU2U8AAvULy.jpg:large

This is fine... yea just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom