• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_

Banned
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/13/14750528/barack-obama-trump-post-presidency

Article about Obama's future plans, his commitment to seeming like he's non partisan and above the fray. Also had some interesting details about his involvement in the DNC race.

On at least one political front, Obama has stayed deeply engaged: He worked the phones to help tip the race for chair of the Democratic National Committee.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) had sewn up the endorsements of dozens of state Democratic Party chairs in his campaign against Obama Labor Secretary Tom Perez. Ellison had won most of the congressional endorsements, including those of the party’s senior leadership. He had the strong support of Bernie Sanders and his progressive fans.

Obama helped Perez overcome all that. Perez’s staff produced a list of every voting member of the Democratic National Committee and the issue they thought was most important to him or her. They sent it to Obama’s team.

The White House veterans quickly drew up a plan, going through the list and deciding who in the former president’s orbit was best suited to winning over each DNC voting member, sources close to the president said. In the weeks before February’s election in Atlanta, Valerie Jarrett, David Simas, and Paulette Aniskoff — three longtime Obama political aides — lobbied individual DNC members. For others, former Vice President Joe Biden filled in.

“If Obama was the only one who could make a difference,” says one aide to the former president, “then he'd be the one to call.”

Before he entered the DNC race, Perez spoke with Obama several times about why he should run. Obama personally argued that Perez was particularly qualified to win back onetime Obama voters who then supported Trump in November, according to one aide.

Ellison requested a meeting with the president, but never got it, according to two sources.

Observers have been mystified by the Obama White House’s decision to spark a Democratic Party civil war over the DNC chair race so soon after its clobbering in November. After all, most agree that Ellison and Perez are similarly progressive — and that there didn’t seem to be any real substantial gaps in their strategies for fixing the Democratic Party.

Obama aides say the intervention was related to the former president’s reluctance to openly criticize Trump. By helping ensure a close ally like Perez is running the DNC, they said, Obama felt like he was liberating himself from having to personally respond to Trump over the next several years.

Obama, in other words, was trying to extricate himself from the partisan fray — but by taking action in the DNC race that risked antagonizing his own party’s base.

It’s not clear it worked.

“Going out of his way to find a challenger to Keith Ellison, who was the consensus candidate and a hero of the progressive grassroots, was selfish and counterproductive,” says Adam Green, co-founder of the left-wing organization the Progressive Change Campaign Committee.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/13/14750528/barack-obama-trump-post-presidency

Article about Obama's future plans, his commitment to seeming like he's non partisan and above the fray. Also had some interesting details about his involvement in the DNC race.

Honestly, Obama putting himself above the fray is probably the best thing for the party at the moment. It makes Trump constantly complaining about him look even more petty and childish (same with his complaints about Clinton and her generally not getting involved). Plus it helps preserve his popularity so he can help tip the general in 2020.

It feels like he's looking towards the Dems next major showdown with Trump instead of at just the here and now. Hell, if he spoke out more against Trump then he'd suck all the air from the room and kill off any 2020 hopefuls before they could get going. You think Gillibrand would have gotten any airtime if Obama (or Clinton) had been railing against Trump's cabinet picks?

Blader

Honestly, Obama putting himself above the fray is probably the best thing for the party at the moment. It makes Trump constantly complaining about him look even more petty and childish (same with his complaints about Clinton and her generally not getting involved). Plus it helps preserve his popularity so he can help tip the general in 2020.

It feels like he's looking towards the Dems next major showdown with Trump instead of at just the here and now. Hell, if he spoke out more against Trump then he'd suck all the air from the room and kill off any 2020 hopefuls before they could get going. You think Gillibrand would have gotten any airtime if Obama (or Clinton) had been railing against Trump's cabinet picks?

Right. It's essential that Dems, both elected and constituents, learn to carry themselves without having Obama steer the ship.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right. It's essential that Dems, both elected and constituents, learn to carry themselves without having Obama steer the ship.

I mean, he's still got a hand on the wheel (let's not pretend he doesn't) but he can't been seen as the one driving.

Wilsongt

Cilizza isn't pro Trump, he's just anti Hillary.

Which is exactly why we got Trump in the first place. Progressives being so anti-Hillary they couldn't get their heads out of their asses long enough to realize they were doing exactly what the GOP did for over 20 years.

dramatis

I think Ryan got caught up in his own hype. He really thinks because of full Republican control that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to change things. That is true, but it's also not going to be as easy as he hopes.

Blader

I think Ryan got caught up in his own hype. He really thinks because of full Republican control that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to change things. That is true, but it's also not going to be as easy as he hopes.

I'm not sure why Hill Republicans keep parroting this line when they had this same opportunity for four years just over a decade ago.

He probably thinks Democrats moving fairly slowly in 2008 was because they were incompetent and their laws were bad.

Instead of realizing that even with total control it's not really all that easy to pass stuff.

Wilsongt

I'm sure we're going to see it was sourced from some Bretibart type site at 4am.

Breitbart just running with an article that Democrats have a history of spying in people, citing Wilson, FDR, and Kennedy as examples.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

It is amazing how rude much of the media is to my very hard working representatives. Be nice, you will do much better!
8:52 AM · Mar 13, 2017

LOL

why was Kellyanne Conway on CNN?

I thought they were supposed to not book her anymore due to her lying.

fuck CNN

After her answers, they'll probably keep her off the air again. Just looked to be making stuff up left and right...heck, she even said "she isn't inspector gadget and she isn't in the business to provide evidence...just to ask for investigators to do it."

Pretty out there....

EDIT: I personally don't know why they keep her on as a staffer, she causes as many problems with her comments as Trump does...

Blader

After her answers, they'll probably keep her off the air again. Just looked to be making stuff up left and right...heck, she even said "she isn't inspector gadget and she isn't in the business to provide evidence...just to ask for investigators to do it."

Pretty out there....

EDIT: I personally don't know why they keep her on as a staffer, she causes as many problems with her comments as Trump does...

Trump likes her and, to her credit, she was the campaign manager for a campaign that nobody thought would win and then did. Which counts for something, and certainly counts for a long in Trump's loyalty-obsessed eyes.

Wilsongt

An N.C. House Republican says the NCAA and ACC have “stepped out of bounds” by moving sports championships out of North Carolina over House Bill 2.

Rep. Mark Brody, a Republican from Monroe, announced in a Facebook post Sunday that he’ll file a bill this week to address the boycotts.

Brody says his “Athletic Association Accountability Act” will “determine whether the NCAA and the ACC have violated their tax-exempt status by engaging in political or lobbying activities.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article138120728.html#storylink=cpy

Surejan.gif

Apathy

CNN is playing some video of trump talking about how bad obamacare is and then turns into a rant of how bad Obama was, as a person. Wtf

lol at Trump's tactic of parading people in front of the press to champion his causes

Also Trump just spent a bunch of time talking about how it would be better to wait a year

He also said the press is making Obamacare look good, and people would really see how bad it is if we wait 2 more years.

Great political strategy!

Edit: It is interesting watching Trump trying to walk the tightrope of praising the bill while also trying to stay as far away from it as possible.

Wilsongt

Is there any good news out there? It seems since Trump was elected the entire country has spiraled into a dark pit of sadness and gloom with no hope in sight.

Taco Bell's Naked Chicken Chalupa

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it's discontinued. Better to hear it from me than at the Taco Bell counter since then you'd just be left choosing from the normal garbage on their menu.

My stomach says "no"

I hate Taco Bell but that thing was legitimately good.

Edit: I should probably give some good news instead of shooting it down.

Is there any good news out there? It seems since Trump was elected the entire country has spiraled into a dark pit of sadness and gloom with no hope in sight.

Nier Automata is amazing. Can't stop playing it.

Maxim726X

So, what's the latest news on Scalise's effort to get enough votes?

Will this even get through the House, as it stands right now? Or are they waiting on the CBO to demolish it before publicly opposing it?

Apathy

into IoT devices is not really an unrealistic scenario. That said, I'm sure Kellyanne did not communicate the issue with any level of nuance..

And she was fine arguing that up until the point she wanted to go hyperbolic and bring up microwaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom