• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrage

The most important number for Dems to push isn't the 14 Million Uninsured,it's Premiums rising by 15 to 20 percent. That's the only thing that will affect the "Fuck You,Got Mine" consituency.

It's like Rubio and McCain complaining about Tillerson, it's just to show you don't agree with something right before you vote for it.

I think you're overestimating the importance of things that largely don't matter (a president's cabinet choices) and comparing that to things that do matter (voting on a major healthcare law that impacts the lives of voters). No republican is going to lose their seat for voting for their president's Sec Of State....but plenty of republicans would lose their seat if they voted for this bill.

sangreal

The most important number for Dems to push isn't the 14 Million Uninsured,it's Premiums rising by 15 to 20 percent. That's the only thing that will affect the "Fuck You,Got Mine" consituency.

yeah, frankly few people with employer coverage care if the rest of the country gets fucked. They do care about rates increasing and coverage worsening though

ps -- end employer-based coverage (which happens to be a GOP position but whatever)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

So the premiums would increase anyways? Hahahaha

sangreal

So the premiums would increase anyways? Hahahaha

this bill rewards healthy people for going without insurance

Literally, the longer you can go without insurance the more you benefit

Healthy people paying for sick people is how the insurance industry works. You don't want them to start charging based on their perceived likelihood that you (individually) will get sick like car or auto insurance.

I'm beating pots and pans here but this bill is a DIY depression in the making. Especially in rural areas where healthcare is biggest source of good paying jobs.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Guys I know a great way to save tons of money let's just shut all this shit down and live in a fucking cave or something.

JP_

Banned
Why is the link dead now? One thing I'm curious about -- it said premiums would rise, then fall back down? Due to some fund that they assume states would use to offset high cost consumers? Why the delay? That fund come into effect later or what?

It's actually wrong too

This bill adds to our deficit

Link seems to be dead but I thought it lowered the deficit overall, basically by kicking people off insurance.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
CBO is my spirit animal. Get fycked Ryan.

Link seems to be dead but I thought it lowered the deficit overall, basically by kicking people off insurance.
Maybe vs the PPACA but any plan with even modest tax credits will increase the deficit over a full repeal (preACA) baseline.

Wilsongt

Those 24 mil people were forced to pay for insurance they didn't want on coverage they didn't need.

Just think of the money those people save each year not having to be afraid of eating a tax penalty!

By how much?
Not sure, but the plans projections of how much it saves pretends like the 14-20m will not be kicked off of healthcare and continue paying into the system. The cuts made here in practice absolutely will not save the money they believe it will. The block grants and subsidies for high risk pools are also not nearly enough for them to remain even remotely stable.

JP_

Banned
Here's the bit on the deficit:
Effects on the Federal Budget
CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would reduce federal deficits by
$337 billion over the 2017-2026 period. That total consists of $323 billion in on-budget
savings and $13 billion in off-budget savings. Outlays would be reduced by $1.2 trillion
over the period, and revenues would be reduced by $0.9 trillion.

The largest savings would come from reductions in outlays for Medicaid and from the
elimination of the Affordable Care Act's (ACA's) subsidies for nongroup health insurance.
The largest costs would come from repealing many of the changes the ACA made to the
Internal Revenue Code—including an increase in the Hospital Insurance payroll tax rate
for high-income taxpayers, a surtax on those taxpayers' net investment income, and annual
fees imposed on health insurers—and from the establishment of a new tax credit for health
insurance.

Pay-as-you-go procedures apply because enacting the legislation would affect direct
spending and revenues. CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would not
increase net direct spending or on-budget deficits by more than $5 billion in any of the four
consecutive 10-year periods beginning in 2027.

It lowers the deficit by kicking people off medicaid and reducing subsides for the exchanges. Not sure what you guys are looking at.

CBO is my spirit animal. Get fycked Ryan.

Maybe vs the PPACA but any plan with even modest tax credits will increase the deficit over a full repeal (preACA) baseline.

...but ACA reduced the deficit

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the bit on the deficit:

It lowers the deficit by kicking people off medicaid and reducing subsides for the exchanges. Not sure what you guys are looking at.

...but ACA reduced the deficit
Did it? My memory is probably wrong then apologies

teiresias

I mean, Trump's own increase in military funding of $54 Billion wipes out any deficit savings, so the easy peesy spin on that for the dems is that Trump is trading American lives for the war machine.

JP_

Banned
I mean, Trump's own increase in military funding of $54 Billion wipes out any deficit savings, so the easy peesy spin on that for the dems is that Trump is trading American lives for the war machine.

Even ignoring the military, this bill alone basically cuts 1.2 trillion from spending on people's health so they can give a 0.9 trillion tax break to rich people and health insurance execs.

teiresias

Even ignoring the military, this bill alone basically cuts 1.2 trillion from spending on people's health so they can give a 0.9 trillion tax break to rich people and health insurance execs.

Yeah, but the American public doesn't understand taxes worth a damn, so I figured the whole "killing people to pay for war guns" is just easier to get across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom