• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when I say religious weirdos I mean they went on a "mission" to Japan to convert people and "help them" as if Japan was some kind of impoverished third world country and not an island country where like half of it is covered in near techno-future urban development.

If they'd just accepted Christ, their economy wouldn't have been stagnant for the past thirty years. Same for those nasty French atheists and their chronically high unemployment.

What about the age demographic that were young when Ferris Bueller's day off came out? I wanna bet that they are liberals/democrats today. By young I mean they went to watch it in theaters with their friends.

Pretty much my parents. They're almost 50 and are super liberal. They've been involved in Cincinatti activism for as long as I can remember.

It always creeps me out when people go on missions trips to modern countries and everyone starts up the "are you gonna be safe there?" shtick.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went to some other Asian country, forgot which one after they got home, and just went with the one they figured must have been because it's one of the more well known ones.

At the time of their trip (this must have been like 2003 or so, since I haven't seen these people in a decade or more), Japan (I think) had a lower poverty rate than the US!

I won't get my hopes up, I won't get my hopes up, I won't get my hopes up...

Most of that poll's respondents live in Fulton county, which, according to Nate Cohn, occupies the middle point between Cobb (Republican-leaning) and DeKalb (Democratic-leaning). If he squeaks it with voters there, he'll likely dominate in DeKalb. Couple that with a healthy number of votes in Cobb, and he might have this.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
http://mailchi.mp/6cc6a842db65/new-ga-6-poll-ossoff-3?e=[UNIQID]
(Atlanta) – A new Georgia survey of likely 2017 special election voters for Congressional District 6 was released today. This 6th District survey breaks down the voter's preference in the 2017 special election runoff. The Trafalgar Group (TFG), recognized for having the best polling in the 2016 battleground states and Electoral College projection, conducted the poll from June 10th through June 13th.

The voters were asked their preferred candidate in the Congressional District 6 race, the results were:

50.22% Ossoff
47.46% Handel
2.32% Undecided

Now we're doing the weird heaping of praise on twitter too, eh?
Vice President Pence @VP

It is the greatest privilege of my life to serve as Vice President to @POTUS Donald Trump – a man devoted to American ideals.
1:27 PM · Jun 16, 2017

http://mailchi.mp/6cc6a842db65/new-ga-6-poll-ossoff-3?e=[UNIQID]
(Atlanta) – A new Georgia survey of likely 2017 special election voters for Congressional District 6 was released today. This 6th District survey breaks down the voter's preference in the 2017 special election runoff. The Trafalgar Group (TFG), recognized for having the best polling in the 2016 battleground states and Electoral College projection, conducted the poll from June 10th through June 13th.

The voters were asked their preferred candidate in the Congressional District 6 race, the results were:

50.22% Ossoff
47.46% Handel
2.32% Undecided
This is going to be close that is for sure.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump campaign telling campaign workers to keep all files from 2016 campaign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My one concern is the exact same issue in 2016--the secret white racist vote coming out of nowhere and polls being misrepresentative as a result. I don't think it will be as big of an issue in this race, though.

What about the age demographic that were young when Ferris Bueller's day off came out? I wanna bet that they are liberals/democrats today. By young I mean they went to watch it in theaters with their friends.
YO

Actually I was a little too young to go see it on my own. I did see it in theaters though!

Kusagari

My one concern is the exact same issue in 2016--the secret white racist vote coming out of nowhere and polls being misrepresentative as a result. I don't think it will be as big of an issue in this race, though.

I'd imagine they're the same as Obama voters in they drop like a stone with him off the ticket.

dramatis

Vox hasn't uncovered nothing new here.

Voting machine concerns have existed for years:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-systems/oversight/top-bottom-review/

https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/voting/
(the old site technology here should serve as proof that voting machine hackability concerns are NOTHING NEW!)

Best Solution: go back to paper ballots only.

I literally spent a year of my life involved in researching voting machines. I came to the conclusion that most Election departments in most states are nothing more than patronage pits where you stash barely qualified people whom you owe favors to. Hence, you aren't getting people in these positions who understand the problems relevant to the field. Leading to the possibility of security issues creeping into these machines that can even fool a VVPAT.
My understanding of the Vox article isn't that it is anything new, but exposure and sharing of more detailed information about the voting process and all of its vulnerabilities is probably worth something.

I think ideally we would have vote by mail, which leaves a paper trail and is convenient for the voter.

giphy.gif

Wait for the "Cars generation."

Couple more years and voters will have been born after the DC Animated Universe ended...

Right now I guess this would be the "Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents" generation coming up to vote.

The first group of kids who grew up with widespread 24/7 broadband Internet are quickly approaching voting age. When the Minecrafters start voting is when stuff's gonna get weird.

lush

Have these things gotten worse? Propaganda knob turned up to 11 the past several of his speeches that I've watched. Between his incoherent rambling about deals and their various sizes, the crowd fellating themselves in between various chants of "USA", "Trump", and even a rendition of Happy Birthday, I just don't think I can tune in for another.

Absolutely embarrassing.

Given what we've seen from the polling/early voting numbers/money, it seems this is less expectation setting and more genuine fear from the GOP that GA-6 is slipping away from them.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/16/georgia-special-election-gop-worries-239619

As grim confidential polling data circulates among GOP strategists, interviews with nearly two dozen Republican operatives and officials reveal that they are preparing for the possibility of an unnerving defeat that could spur lawmakers to distance themselves from Trump and his already-troubled legislative agenda, and potentially encourage a wave of retirements.

While no one is willing to publicly write off Handel’s chances just yet — Republicans stress that she remains competitive and point to robust GOP early voting figures — several private surveys taken over the last few weeks show Republican nominee Karen Handel trending downward, with one private party poll showing 30-year-old Democrat Jon Ossoff opening up a more than five-point lead in the Republican-oriented, suburban Atlanta seat.

“If we’re losing upper middle class, suburban seats in the South to a 30-year-old progressive liberal, we would be foolish not to be deeply concerned about the possibility that would exist for a tidal wave election for Democrats in 2018,” said Chip Lake, a Georgia-based Republican strategist and former Capitol Hill chief of staff.

Some fear the catalytic effect a GOP loss would have on the Democratic opposition, which has been raising money and recruiting candidates at a breakneck pace since Trump’s inauguration.

“If Ossoff wins, you’re going to see the floodgates open, with Democrats recruiting candidates in races from governor to county commission,” said Randy Evans, an influential Republican National Committeeman from Georgia.

Regardless of the outcome, Republicans appear to be taking a lesson from the contest: the president’s support is diminishing in some of the key districts that will determine the House’s balance of power -- places like Georgia’s 6th District, which is filled with the upper-income and highly-educated suburban voters and was never especially enamored of the president in the first place.

“It defines the kind of district where Trump struggles,” said Whit Ayres, a Handel pollster. “He was never particularly popular, and he hasn’t gotten more so since he was inaugurated.”

With the election still days away, some Republicans are already pointing fingers at Handel — a tried-and-true Washington tactic. In the White House, some officials have privately derided her as a frequent candidate for public office who isn’t the kind of fresh face necessary to win. Others are second-guessing her campaign team. During a Sunday appearance on “The Georgia Gang,” a public affairs TV show, longtime party hand and conservative commentator Phil Kent criticized the campaign’s decision to hold a fundraiser instead of a public rally with Pence.

Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole, a former NRCC chairman, said he was nervous about the Georgia race but felt confident the party had done all it could. The special election, he said, was a reflection of a challenging national environment the GOP was coming to terms with.

“No one here is whistling past the political graveyard and we understand this cycle will be intense, and that it will test our hold on the majority," he said. "We may or may not hold the majority, but it won't be for lack of effort."

Couple more years and voters will have been born after the DC Animated Universe ended...

Right now I guess this would be the "Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents" generation coming up to vote.

The first group of kids who grew up with widespread 24/7 broadband Internet are quickly approaching voting age. When the Minecrafters start voting is when stuff's gonna get weird.
Just wait for President JonTron.

Being kicked off of Yooka-Laylee will be the 21st century equivalent to Hitler being rejected from art school.

Given what we've seen from the polling/early voting numbers/money, it seems this is less expectation setting and more genuine fear from the GOP that GA-6 is slipping away from them.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/16/georgia-special-election-gop-worries-239619
If I were the Georgia GOP I'd want to nip Ossoff in the bud as soon as possible. If he wins this and holds on next year I imagine he'd make for a pretty decent statewide contender in the future.

Gruco

Banned
Did they really sing him Happy Birthday??? Fucking hell.

Just give him a blowjob on stage already and be done with it.

It's an honor, truly, such an honor to sing happy birthday to the president. In the service of His agenda, just such a thrill and the greatest pleasure to the person singing it. A life-changing experience.
Just wait for President JonTron.

Being kicked off of Yooka-Laylee will be the 21st century equivalent to Hitler being rejected from art school.

We already have that. It was getting laughed at by Obama and Seth Myers at the correspondent's dinner in 2011

Blader

Old people vote and Old people usually vote Republican and Old people really hate Jane Fonda

I'm not sure there's a bloc of senior Republican voters who were leaning toward Ossoff until they were reminded they hate Jane Fonda. I have to assume those are already committed partisans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom