• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Rick Tyler saying McConnell has no way of getting healthcare through and that its over.

When Rick Tyler says this kind of shit I think they might be fucked.

Diablos

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) spent part of the weekend lounging on a state beach he ordered closed to the public amid a local government shutdown, photos show.

Christie spent Saturday night and part of Sunday at New Jersey’s Island Beach State Park with family and friends at a summer beach house owned by the government. The park was among those closed over the holiday weekend during the ongoing statewide government shutdown after lawmakers were unable to pass a new budget.

The governor’s family, however, were apparently excluded from the visitation ban and aerial photos obtained by NJ Advance Media show a group of people, including Christie and his wife, Mary Pat, alone on an empty beach.

“I don’t know if it’s fair, but ... my family doesn’t ask for any services while we are there,” Christie told reporters at a news conference ahead of his visit, saying he had no plans to cancel the trip.
Lol. He has no shame. Basically at a point where he's like 'fuck it, everyone hates me anyway."

Teggy

I mean, really, what are they going to do, impeach him? Guy is a trash person but unless he's going to get prosecuted for bridgegate it's not like anything he does now will have any worse effect on his future prospects so he dgaf.

Trump, Russia and a Shadowy Business Partnership

Robert Mueller is examining whether President Donald Trump obstructed justice when he fired James Comey as director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Washington Post recently reported. As we've heard for months now, there is also a probe of possible collusion between Trump's campaign team and the Kremlin to tilt the 2016 election in the president's favor.

But the Justice Department inquiry led by Mueller now has added flavors. The Post noted that the investigation also includes "suspicious financial activity" involving "Russian operatives." The New York Times was more specific in its account, saying that Mueller is looking at whether Trump associates laundered financial payoffs from Russian officials by channeling them through offshore accounts.

Bayrock partnered with the future president and his two eldest children, Donald Jr. and Ivanka, on a series of real-estate deals between 2002 and about 2011, the most prominent being the troubled Trump Soho hotel and condominium in Manhattan.

During the years that Bayrock and Trump did deals together, the company was also a bridge between murky European funding and a number of projects in the U.S. to which the president once lent his name in exchange for handsome fees. Icelandic banks that dealt with Bayrock, for example, were easy marks for money launderers and foreign influence, according to interviews with government investigators, legislators, and others in Reykjavik, Brussels, Paris and London. Trump testified under oath in a 2007 deposition that Bayrock brought Russian investors to his Trump Tower office to discuss deals in Moscow, and said he was pondering investing there.

"It's ridiculous that I wouldn't be investing in Russia," Trump said in that deposition. "Russia is one of the hottest places in the world for investment."

One of Bayrock's principals was a career criminal named Felix Sater who had ties to Russian and American organized crime groups. Before linking up with the company and with Trump, he had worked as a mob informant for the U.S. government, fled to Moscow to avoid criminal charges while boasting of his KGB and Kremlin contacts there, and had gone to prison for slashing apart another man's face with a broken cocktail glass.

Long piece from the guy who Trump actually sued (and lost)

DDzz2vyUAAA-65s.jpg:large

Ernest

Banned
DOJ corporate compliance watchdog resigns citing Trump's conduct

A top Justice Department official who serves as a corporate compliance watchdog has left her job, saying she felt she could no longer force companies to comply with the government's ethics laws when members of the administration she works for have conducted themselves in a manner that she claims would not be not tolerated.

"To sit across the table from companies and question how committed they were to ethic and compliance felt... hypocritical, " Hui Chen said.

Chen said management in her office tried to silence her from publicly speaking out against the White House.

You can't even credit him with that, Republican senators stole it. Literally all he did was arniepresidentsimpsons.gif a nominee.

I mean, it's still a success. We had an election, people knew about the obstruction and didn't really care. Gorsuch will be on the court for a long time. That's a win.

UberTag

Nice to see someone not willing to embrace blatant hypocrisy like her peers.

This tweet makes it seem like if they report on his "successes" (dude's a fucking loser), he'll suddenly be okay with what they're saying
That's pretty much how he twists things.

Good News = Give me all the credit even if I had nothing to do with it.
Bad News = Fake news intended to smear my good name from Liberal losers with an agenda.

It's the same reason all of the fraudulent votes he cites from the election are all votes for Hillary in his mind.
It's just the way his thought process works. He can never be blamed or have accountability for anything. He's fucked in the head.

I refuse to believe that if Trump was able to fill the court with ass-backwards conservatives that we'd just sit by and let them dominate the rest of the country for the next 5 decades.

There might not have been a stomach for altering the Supreme Court in the past, but now? Pretty much nothing is off-limits, Trump broke rules and norms.

I refuse to believe that if Trump was able to fill the court with ass-backwards conservatives that we'd just sit by and let them dominate the rest of the country for the next 5 decades.

There might not have been a stomach for altering the Supreme Court in the past, but now? Pretty much nothing is off-limits, Trump broke rules and norms.

What are you proposing? Changing the structure of the Supreme Court?

Zolo

Yeah. I suppose the # of supreme court justices could be changed. No reason to respect tradition and standards when your opponent didn't.

GusBus

Yeah. I suppose the # of supreme court justices could be changed. No reason to respect tradition and standards when your opponent didn't.

Yup. FDR narrowly missed the opportunity in the 30's...it's definitely doable.

It does let the cat out of the bag, but at the same time, disperses idealogical court members impact (which on the whole is a good thing, imo).

jtb

Banned
I dunno, I think court packing is still insane. Term limits are a lot more palatable, though I don't know how high the bar is to get something like that passed (Constitutional amendment?)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yup. FDR narrowly missed the opportunity in the 30's...it's definitely doable.

It does let the cat out of the bag, but at the same time, disperses idealogical court members impact (which on the whole is a good thing, imo).
Okay think about it really. If FDR couldn't do it, it's not getting done. You're better off just trying to get 75 seats in congress or something ridiculous.

I don't think the court is necessarily unsalvageable if Kennedy gets a Trump replacement - even if that's SUPREMELY FUCKING ANNOYING WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR JILL STEIN WHYYYY

ahem

But if we can get a two-term Democrat after Trump then Thomas will be 80 by the end of it. When he's smothered in his sleep with a pillow, Republicans hold the Senate and block the President from appointing his replacement, and JonTron wins the election because Malia Obama wasn't good enough.

Kennedy's retirement taking effect under a D Senate would be the best-case scenario here though. But that involves holding all of our current seats and winning Nevada, Arizona, and Texas. And either haggling for Trump to appoint Garland or waiting until a Dem president takes office. Ehhhhh.

NeoXChaos

Why is the Senate map next year so bad when Dems won in '06 and '12? Isn't it the same group of states?

1st was a wave, 2nd was incumbency/lucky opponent breaks courtesy of Murdoch and Akin in IN and MO, Heitkamp in ND. Democrats lost Bill Nelson(NE) seat to now Senator Deb Fisher though.

Hopfrog

It is not outlined in Article III how many justices there needs to be so this could (and has been) changed by legislation, but modifying tenure might require an amendment as Article III states that justices hold office "during good Behaviour." You could interpret that a number of ways but it seems if you wanted a term limit you would need to address this.

GusBus

Okay think about it really. If FDR couldn't do it, it's not getting done. You're better off just trying to get 75 seats in congress or something ridiculous.

Eh, who knows what the political landscape will look like in a year or two (let alone six months). Trump starts trade wars, the economy tanks, people get healthcare ripped away...

Long story short, there's a not insignificant chance the Democrats take back both congress and the presidency, laying the foundation for altering the court size.

This is an old NYT op-ed, but it lays out how this could happen.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/26/opinion/26smith.html

thefro

It's a totally different environment now since you had a bunch of Southern Democrats back in the FDR days.

spaghnum, are tankies growing in numbers? My best friend is a former Commie (approx. 10-12 years ago) and claims he only ever met one sincere tankie, on some message board, but the @tankietakes Twitter account and ShitTankiesSay reddit sure makes the sentiment seem a little more common nowadays.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Apparently the bill McConnell sent back to CBO still has most of the tax cuts for the wealthy. Good luck with that.

jtb

Banned
Why is the Senate map next year so bad when Dems won in '06 and '12? Isn't it the same group of states?

Because we already won them all. So we're playing defense. Very few pickup opportunities. Would be great to boot Cruz and Corker out, of course.

Still, saw an encouraging table from Harry Enten that says it's basically impossible to unseat incumbent senators in the opposition during the first midterm. Which confirms my suspicion that it will be very difficult to unseat a lot of our incumbents.

Already saw McCaskill's potential opponent focus on re-election to the house. Will probably see a lot of similar moves across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom