• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about it, from a personal sense, and ultimately, Sarsour is about as minor a figure as they come. However, choose to be a political figure, and you either play the lowest common denominator political games or be subject to nonsense like this.

I mean, I'm not saying use jihad in a speech at the DNC. Don't, that would be stupid. But she was addressing the Islamic Society of North America. This is like asking a prominent black rights activist not to use the phrase Black Lives Matter when addressing a civil rights assembly, because it might cause controversy with people who disagree. Literally nobody in this thread would (at least, hopefully) tell them not to do that, so why the fuck are we entertaining the idea when it is Muslims?

kirblar

I'm still unclear as to the meaning of your original post. Most people, if they think "symphony", likely think of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, which doesn't have any particular message that I can think of other than being generally associated with Beethoven's "Hero" modality.
(he's talking about Handel's Messiah (the hallelujah chorus) which is pretty anti-Semitic.)

I'm still unclear as to the meaning of your original post. Most people, if they think "symphony", likely think of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, which doesn't have any particular message that I can think of other than being generally associated with Beethoven's "Hero" modality.

9th. The attempted pithy remark wasn't too clear of me since Beethoven has about three of the most famous ones to his name.

Kirb, That's an oratorio, not that anybody in the administration would know the difference.

I mean, I'm not saying use jihad in a speech at the DNC. Don't, that would be stupid. But she was addressing the Islamic Society of North America. This is like asking a prominent black rights activist not to use the phrase Black Lives Matter when addressing a civil rights assembly, because it might cause controversy with people who disagree. Literally nobody in this thread would (at least, hopefully) tell them not to do that, so why the fuck are we entertaining the idea when it is Muslims?

I don't disagree, but I can't think of anybody who would have spoken at such an event who has as randomly gotten a thoroughly demonized national profile as her, nor would I agree that BLM has nearly the depth nor breadth of demonization in the Western mindset as "Jihad".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't disagree, but I can't think of anybody who would have spoken at such an event who has as randomly gotten a thoroughly demonized national profile as her, nor would I agree that BLM has nearly the depth nor breadth of demonization in the Western mindset as "Jihad".

Right, but if anything what you're saying is that the Muslim community is if anything even more systematically mistreated than the black community, which makes it even more important to stand up right now.

kirblar

The scholarship underlying this is more than a little questionable to me.
Non-zero chance that I'm remembering the wrong piece. I remember a story about a Jewish singer who was part of a chorus singing it and crying during parts of it because she could understand the actual words (which were pretty...but ugly if you understood them) and thought it was that one specifically, but I could be off on the piece in question.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-marissen/handels-messiah-anti-semitism-_b_5150084.html

That part at the bottom (search: earthenware) is I think what I'm remembering.

We probably shouldn't campaign on a $15 minimum wage until we find out if that is actually good.

We have a lot of opportunities to examine that moving forward though.

Non-zero chance that I'm remembering the wrong piece. I remember a story about a Jewish singer who was part of a chorus singing it and crying during parts of it because she could understand the actual words (which were pretty...but ugly if you understood them) and thought it was that one specifically, but I could be off on the piece in question.

Most of the lyrics are directly from the King James Bible, no translation necessary. Must be something else. Anyway, the Western Culture fetishists are same guys who despise Shakespeare performance, it's not groundbreaking to say they're hypocrites.

edit: Ah, I see, but anyway not quite the enlightenment values that I talking about vis–à–vis Beethoven/Schiller. Back to the policy business.

Wilsongt

So women now have to be more modest around Paul Ryan now. No more exposed shoulders.

Handmaiden Tales is showing us our future.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-marissen/handels-messiah-anti-semitism-_b_5150084.html

That part at the bottom (search: earthenware) is I think what I'm remembering.

Marissen's academic niche is finding ways of looking at Classical pieces that render them as "problematic", but it is rather questionable whether Handel, his listeners, or anybody else would have understood these pieces in this manner, at any point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Teresa may should call another election and only campaign on her shoes this time since that's the only time people don't want to drag ha

Man, how pissed would you be if you're an aspiring Senator in the House like Luke Messer, Fred Upton, or Kevin Cramer and Ryan made you take a vote on a deeply unpopular healthcare bill that doesn't even pass?

AndyD

aka andydumi
15 isn't fine everywhere.

You can't go with the lowest common denominator. You look at what will make the most impact to most people and you do that. For the outliers, one way or another, you either make exceptions or other complementary programs.

$15 in rural West Virginia is maybe too high. $15 in downtown San Francisco is not enough. That does not mean either of those two outliers should control the overall goal and end point.

Teggy

Mother fu.......

Philip Oltermann @philipoltermann

White House says Trump to meet Putin @ 3:45 tomorrow, which means they have to skip 3:30 meeting with rest of G20 on climate change & energy
4:46 PM · Jul 6, 2017

kirblar

You can't go with the lowest common denominator. You look at what will make the most impact to most people and you do that. For the outliers, one way or another, you either make exceptions or other complementary programs.

$15 in rural West Virginia is maybe too high. $15 in downtown San Francisco is not enough. That does not mean either of those two outliers should control the overall goal and end point.
By the way the national minimum wage works, you do go with the lowest common denominator! It's a floor for the entire nation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom