• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria

Not to put too fine a point on it but the general thrust of your argument is that you didn't really buy that Russian interference played a major part in our election and were fine with letting that slide in exchange for a ceasefire*. This is the extension of "letting that slide."

*That Putin has no intention of keeping.

someone should round up all of the articles about Putin ignoring ceasefires he's agreed to because i don't think he's understanding why this time is only for political show

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
But that doesn't really make sense.

Russia hacks our election. Our intelligence community, in conjunction with the intelligence communities of other countries, confirm this.

We sanction them.

Why is it ok to barter with THOSE sanctions? Do people not realize how serious what Russia did is? Barter with these sanctions and you give Russia explicit permission to continue hacking our infrastructure and it'll be ok, as long as the agree to some bullshit and completely unrelated concession somewhere down the line.

I really don't get his logic, unless it's coming from a Greenwald like position.

Blader

But that doesn't really make sense.

Russia hacks our election. Our intelligence community, in conjunction with the intelligence communities of other countries, confirm this.

We sanction them.

Why is it ok to barter with THOSE sanctions? Do people not realize how serious what Russia did is? Barter with these sanctions and you give Russia explicit permission to continue hacking our infrastructure and it'll be ok, as long as the agree to some bullshit and completely unrelated concession somewhere down the line.

Furthermore, to say that we can just reinstate the hacking sanctions later is ridiculous when the President does not believe Russia hacked our elections so why in the world would he ever reinstate those sanctions?

The hacking sanctions need to be tougher. If they are made weaker or lifted entirely, this administration will never restore them to how they are now, much less implement a stronger version.

Gallbaro

Banned
I remember things suddenly and sporadically because alcohol abuse has negatively affected my brain.

This is because South Korea is one of the few states that didn't let itself be raped and pillaged by foreign powers during the cold war (might have had something to do with being raped, pillaged, and enslaved for thousands of years). They minimized foreign investment to keep the wealth inside of its borders instead of bleeding to American and European corporations. And America was alright with this because it meant having a foothold on the Asian continent and containing Chinese communism.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, sorry.

South Korea was a dictatorship until the 80s...

Good thing that best case scenario is that the healthcare bill will remain on the verge of passing for years on end, so we'll get plenty of time to be told that election interference isn't what we should be focusing on right now.

@yashar
Tweeted and then deleted by Gateway Pundit's @lucianwintrich - is this what it's come to? Does he still go to White House briefings?

DEJ1AxyV0AAMsiw.jpg

Pixieking

Banned
I remember things suddenly and sporadically because alcohol abuse has negatively affected my brain.

This is because South Korea is one of the few states that didn't let itself be raped and pillaged by foreign powers during the cold war (might have had something to do with being raped, pillaged, and enslaved for thousands of years). They minimized foreign investment to keep the wealth inside of its borders instead of bleeding to American and European corporations. And America was alright with this because it meant having a foothold on the Asian continent and containing Chinese communism.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall Korea being raped, pillaged, enslaved for thousands of years, so, um, yeah. They fared the introduction and assimilation of Confucianism, Buddhism and Protestantism, created their own writing system, have their own creation myths, their own literature... I mean, China, sure, they got screwed by the Opium Wars, Boxer Rebellion and unfair foreign treaties in the late 19th century. But Korea? Beyond Japan's suzerainty in the late 19th/early 20th, they mostly just existed.

As for economics, from the 1970s on, the chaebol helped then hindered their economy. The corporate desire to have a finger in every pie meant that corporations had "diverse interests", with the same company having building and construction, TV manufacture, and white goods. This was great initially, but led to companies collapsing under their own weight. Debt to equity ratios were staggeringly high (1900% was not an uncommon figure), which could only be sustained for so long. The South Korean government assisted the chaebol up to the point where it was financially unfeasible to do so, and was as much to do with competing with the North as anything else.

(Slightly ranty, but I took 3 modules that were Korean related at university - literature, religion and business - under two excellent professors, so it irks to have misinformation just posted randomly)

He will but it is not gonna be fun.

Yeah he isn't the greatest mayor. He has more downs then ups.

lmao what

https://poll.qu.edu/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=2458

May 17, 2017 - Mayor de Blasio's Approval Rating Soars, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; He Tops Little-Known Challengers 3-1

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has a 60 - 34 percent job approval rating, his highest score ever, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

This is a 10-percentage point jump since a 50 - 42 percent approval in a February 28, 2017, survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University. The February score was de Blasio's first positive job approval rating in a year.

De Blasio buries two declared Republican challengers by margins of 3-1:
63 - 21 percent over Paul Massey;
64 - 21 percent over State Assembly member Nicole Malliotakis.

He is going to cruise to victory.

tbm24

Can safely say, with the people I know, more like Bill than those who don't. You're more likely to find people who dislike Cuomo than you are of Bill.

jtb

Banned
Can safely say, with the people I know, more like Bill than those who don't. You're more likely to find people who dislike Cuomo than you are of Bill.

Agreed. De Blasio gets you mild contempt and apathy, while Cuomo's been shamelessly pumping up his national profile. Bloomberg was re-elected twice ffs.

He was horribly unpopular for a very long time. He's probably benefiting heavily from getting to run as a Democrat in Trump's America. Especially NYC, the city that knows and hates Trump the most.

Before Trump most were worried that he'd lose reelection, his numbers have definitely benefited from Trump being in office.

okay, sure, but we're not talking about a hypothetical election that happened pre-Trump.

dramatis

I'm listening to the WNYC radio show Brian Lehrer and he had the presumed Republican frontrunner for mayor Nicole Malliotakis on for a lengthy talk about introducing her positions and whatnot.

She's from Staten Island (of course...) and she just referenced Giuliani favorably.

Edit: Oh man she voted for Trump. That's the death knell.

okay, sure, but we're not talking about a hypothetical election that happened pre-Trump.
I mean I wouldn't call Walker a good governor just because he happens to run in terrible years for Democrats (and a poorly executed recall campaign).

It's fair to acknowledge that De Blasio got a major assist from the president being a) a Republican and b) Trump even if that results in an easy victory. He was bumbling up until Trump got elected. Given that I think it's ok for people to have some concerns about him.

I don't recall Korea being raped, pillaged, enslaved for thousands of years, so, um, yeah. They fared the introduction and assimilation of Confucianism, Buddhism and Protestantism, created their own writing system, have their own creation myths, their own literature... I mean, China, sure, they got screwed by the Opium Wars, Boxer Rebellion and unfair foreign treaties in the late 19th century. But Korea? Beyond Japan's suzerainty in the late 19th/early 20th, they mostly just existed.

As for economics, from the 1970s on, the chaebol helped then hindered their economy. The corporate desire to have a finger in every pie meant that corporations had "diverse interests", with the same company having building and construction, TV manufacture, and white goods. This was great initially, but led to companies collapsing under their own weight. Debt to equity ratios were staggeringly high (1900% was not an uncommon figure), which could only be sustained for so long. The South Korean government assisted the chaebol up to the point where it was financially unfeasible to do so, and was as much to do with competing with the North as anything else.

(Slightly ranty, but I took 3 modules that were Korean related at university - literature, religion and business - under two excellent professors, so it irks to have misinformation just posted randomly)

jesus, this is worse than the time I said the Irish were the first people to land in the Americas and became the Cherokee

jtb

Banned
Greenwald has gone into full grifter mode with his latest feud with MSNBC and Maddow. Jesus christ, could you be any more transparent.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is it over yet? Is it done now?

America I mean, not the Trump/Putin fully clothed erotic hand job session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom