• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but that would be a whole lot of effort for a story that got comparatively little attention. Few people knew about Smith before last week, and few people know about him now.

It's possible that they didn't know how much info was found. They were covering their butts just in case. It's also a preemptive defense for whatever Mueller finds. Unless there's something more substantial than assuming that the collusion defense was for something specific that hasn't yet dropped, I'm going to assume that's not the case.

Cuomo is g a r b a g e, but these lines in his big piece in Politico Mag was pretty funny.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/07/andrew-cuomo-2020-trump-215348

And then—”sounding like Friedrich Fucking Engels," as one lefty operative who opposes Cuomo sniped to me later—he launched into an attack on free-market politics. ”The gods of the private market are not our god. We don't follow that god. And we believe when the private market fails, that we have a collective responsibility to help one another. ... That's society's responsibility, and that's what we do through a collective vehicle, and the collective vehicle is government."

Is it genuine? Well, he genuinely wants the backing of people who think those things. It would be impossible to mount a presidential campaign in this day and age without a groundswell of support from the party's liberal edge. People close to Cuomo know he needs to do some repair work in New York, end his bitter feud with de Blasio, push for a Democratic Legislature.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

PBY

Banned
Oppo Droppo is a trivializing term for what should criminal offenses. It's not October and it's only a distraction or Hysteria if you want it to be.

Oppo Droppo is also different from findings from Mueller or the committee - its literally just leaks and reports from journalists that are informed by what these groups are working on.

jtb

Banned
Cuomo is such an uninspiring figure. I don't see how or why he could use his governorship as a platform to higher office - particularly given how nasty and unproductive his fued with de Blasio has been. If you don't have support from your home state, you're not going very far. He's better off angling for the upcoming 2020 New York senate vacancy.

kirblar

Cuomo is such an uninspiring figure. I don't see how or why he could use his governorship as a platform to higher office - particularly given how nasty and unproductive his fued with de Blasio has been. If you don't have support from your home state, you're not going very far. He's better off angling for the upcoming 2020 New York senate vacancy.
I think he's shielding Gillibrand by posturing and won't actually be running. Could be wrong (egos of pols are huge, of course) but he should know he's an O'Malley in the making if he attempts it.

I actually am of the opinion that Gillibrand would be an interesting candidate (though, jury's out on many things about her success), so Cuomo running would elbow her out, and that would be annoying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think he's shielding Gillibrand by posturing and won't actually be running. Could be wrong (egos of pols are huge, of course) but he should know he's an O'Malley in the making if he attempts it.

That would go against everything we know about Cuomo. Even the people that like him think he's only using the Governor's Office as a stepping stone to the presidency.

Cuomo is such a terrible national candidate that I would probably bet money on Trump beating him.

I doubt this. He's a shitbag, but he's too good at the game to pick a fight he'd lose. From the article:

”Every time you think you have a run against him, he shuts it down. He is diabolical. And I don't even mean that in a negative way. It's like he's a shark. He's not happy unless he's going in for the kill. He's a purely political animal. I never seen anything like it," said William F.B. O'Reilly, a top Republican political operative in New York who worked on the campaign of Rob Astorino, who ran against Cuomo in 2014. ”I think he spends all night doing political diagrams in his head. Every time you think you have him in a corner you realize that he has already been on a scouting mission down that path and he has found the back door. And it happens time after time. It's hard not to be in awe sometimes."

Ernest

Banned
They better fucking drop something soon, because a bunch of shitbirds (like these assholes) are already beating the drum to shut down Mueller's investigation.

"Special Counsel Muller’s investigation is out of control. DOJ should shut it down."
- President of Judicial Watch, Tom Fitton, 7/2/2017

"This is the twelfth -- my count is 14 or 15 -- lawyers they have working on this one investigation to investigate what? An employment dispute between [former FBI Director] Comey and the president? Paul Manafort’s filing of a document or General Flynn’s filing of a document?"
- Tom Fitton

“I want a constitutional special counsel, and if that means going back and reworking the regulations and getting rid of Mueller, so be it,” said Fitton.

They keep bitching like this, it may happen.

Gallbaro

Banned
Cuomo is the Democratic version of trump. He knows how to campaign but cannot turn it off.

And a corrupt POS.

Cuomo is the Democratic version of trump. He knows how to campaign but cannot turn it off.

And a corrupt POS.

The last thing we need is a corrupt Democratic candidate that would add to the "both sides" narrative. Is there a reason Kamala Harris is no longer the favorite?

Cuomo is g a r b a g e, but these lines in his big piece in Politico Mag was pretty funny.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/07/andrew-cuomo-2020-trump-215348
I'm from Kentucky and don't know much about Cuomo aside from occasionally hearing he's too centrist and has an authoritarian personality. But given that he may get single payer passed, why shouldn't we flyover liberals give him a chance? He seems like he'd be an excellent foil to Trump: a brash, belligerent New Yorker who can actually deliver on governing and isn't senile and malevolent.

jtb

Banned
Kamala has literally... six months? of experience as a lawmaker? She has no legislative record. How many presidents have we had that went through the DA/AG path? I can't think of any off the top of my head though I could be wrong of course.

PBY

Banned
I'm from Kentucky and don't know much about Cuomo aside from occasionally hearing he's too centrist and has an authoritarian personality. But given that he may get single payer passed, why shouldn't we flyover liberals give him a chance? He seems like he'd be an excellent foil to Trump: a brash, belligerent New Yorker who can actually deliver on governing and isn't senile and malevolent.

As a New Yorker - fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Things PoliGAF Hates Even When We Disagree:

Andrew Cuomo
Mark Penn

Feel free to add to the list.

That's the list so far. Also, Trump. But that goes without saying.

The last thing we need is a corrupt Democratic candidate that would add to the "both sides" narrative. Is there a reason Kamala Harris is no longer the favorite?

Problem is no one can find proof of anything.

It's probably too early to call her the favorite. Also there's been rumors that she isn't very good to her staff, so that'd probably hurt her in places like Iowa. Unless I'm thinking of someone else.

You just laid out his entire argument. There's going to be a debate, everyone will talk about all the things they want to do, then he'll come out and say he's already done those things (with a split legislature) and he'll do them again. The question is will that be enough.

hmmm, Cuomo is obviously ambitious and trying to shore up his progressive bonafides lately between free college and his lack of antagonism towards single payer but his path to victory in the primary does seem kind of, uh, tough unless he really does convince the younger/lefter wing of the party that he's on their side. I wonder if he'll aim to get on the ticket as VP.

Whose ticket would he have the best shot at attaching to? Obviously he can't do it for Gillibrand, so maybe he's angling for one of the less experienced senators if someone like Harris gets the nom?

Gallbaro

Banned
When had Cuomo delivered on governing?

He is definitely malevolent. Look up the Moreland commission and Buffalo billion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cuomo isn't getting the young lefties.

I'm not convinced anyone but Bernie will get "the young lefties" and that the democratic party should just roll on regardless.

Eh...the right-wing media took an instant hard turn toward "Collusion isn't illegal so it's OK" within a day or two. That doesn't happen out of nowhere. That leads me to believe something big is out there at this point.

They better fucking drop something soon, because a bunch of shitbirds (like these assholes) are already beating the drum to shut down Mueller's investigation.

They keep bitching like this, it may happen.

There's gotta be a house-cleaning of this, and soon. Hopefully those stories going around some newsites stating Mueller is investigating some of them proves it will be.

I mean ok but when have young lefties been a make or break it demographic in the Primary?

Eh, those Bernie voters will be 4 years older and the younger new voters coming in are just as progressive, if not more so, than older millennials. There's a scenario where large enough rural + young lefty voters can win more delegates in a fractured field.

Remember, a fractured, multi-candidate field can change everything.

I mean ok but when have young lefties been a make or break it demographic in the Primary?
"young lefties" were the bulk of Bernie's 43% of the primary vote (since Native Americans and Muslims are too small to matter in the primaries) and will be a larger share of the electorate as older voters die and Bernie voters will be older (and as such, more likely to vote) and newer voters will be able to vote for the first time.

But besides, even if they aren't the only needed bloc they're a big one and what bloc is going to grant Cuomo a bloc to victory if they scorn him (which they should). Do you really think he's going to be able to sweep the south like Hillary did?

Why would you guys want Harris given the fact she elected not to pursue Steve Mnuchin who's running the Treasury Dept? Seems like the kind of person you don't want to be your leader.

When had Cuomo delivered on governing? He is definitely malevolent. Look up the Moreland commission and Buffalo billion.

Well I wouldn't consider him unless he passed single payer and rolled it out in a reasonably successful way. But that's a huge achievement that would genuinely merit consideration, malevolence or no!

Are you guys pumped for this commemorative edition Nokia?

DEI2U0AXcAAZFWL.jpg

Only $2500

I really hate Bernie as a candidate in 2020. His age is a huge red flag, especially since a large part of Trump's erratic behavior can be attributed to dementia or at least weakened mental faculties, even if Trump was already fairly dumb in many ways. The ideal candidate would be under 55 with relatively little baggage and good charisma. Sadly actual leadership skills are probably less important than all of those in terms of electability.

I'm not convinced anyone but Bernie will get "the young lefties" and that the democratic party should just roll on regardless.
yes, lets just ignore the part of the party that largely sad out the last 2 elections and double down on..... the same base that can't quite get us over the edge?

their not gonna be bernie or busters again, unless theirs the same antagonism towards things like single payer and free college and "we can't do that attitude" and I don't think bernie is gonna run anyways.

the issue cuomo and booker have with the left is they know both of these people are snakes and really believe these ideas. its the same lack of trust clinton had, you can't just change everything like that and expect people to trust you. people like harris, gillibrand, the CT senator or even wildcards like HI's senator maybe have issues in their past (harris with the foreclosure story and gillibrands corporate ties) seem genuinely to believe in doing good things and listening to these people. they have a genuineness that others don't.

they played a large role in Obama beating clinton. and they're getting older. the generation after millenials will be voting in 2018 and 2020. Someone born after 9/11 will be voting for the next president.

and especially with their social media presence and younger voters first learning about politics online they're important. they're also great organizers. shit on their behavior and stuff but they organized bernie far better than expected in 2016 and groups like the DSA (along with other more moderate organizations like indivisible) are organizing the heck out of the health care protests.

I really hate Bernie as a candidate in 2020. His age is a huge red flag, especially since a large part of Trump's erratic behavior can be attributed to dementia or at least weakened mental faculties, even if Trump was already fairly dumb in many ways. The ideal candidate would be under 55 with relatively little baggage and good charisma. Sadly actual leadership skills are probably less important than all of those in terms of electability.
The only consistently discussed candidates under 55 are Cory Booker, who I believe will be 52 in 2020, and Gillibrand, who will be 54. Harris will be 56, Warren will be 72, Bernie will be 78, Cuomo will be 63, Biden will be 78. Even some of the more obscure/dark horses will be older, Brown will be 68 I think, Klobuchar will 61, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom