• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Ok, and which of these sets of sanctions do you accept scaling back or lifting in order to strike a temporary ceasefire in Syria?

I would be okay with scaling back some of the hacking sanctions to literally save thousands of lives in Syria. Those can always be reinstated.

kirblar

I would be okay with scaling back some of the hacking sanctions to literally save thousands of lives in Syria. Those can always be reinstated.
And those lives in Ukraine when Putin decides to invade the rest of it because we gave the mouse some milk?

kirblar

Scaling back hacking sanctions aren't going to change Russia's stance on Ukraine.
So your stance is "we shouldn't do anything, because they're going to do what they want anyway."

Congratulations on being able to stand for nothing.

PBY

Banned
So your stance is "we shouldn't do anything, because they're going to do what they want anyway."

Congratulations on being able to stand for nothing.

We already have sanctions in place for the Ukraine though? Along with the EU and other allies. I'm not talking about those?

We already have sanctions in place for the Ukraine though? Along with the EU and other allies. I'm not talking about those?

Which ones you are talking about? Just the latest that Obama passed and that's it? I doubt that Putin will agree to that... Those were very minor... But I guess I can see your argument in this case. Still would look very bad, but at least financially it will not really make a difference...

Blader

But didn't you say those hacking sanctions were too weak (literally "blame Obama")? Why reinstate admittedly weak sanctions? And why would you trust Donald Trump, who denies there was any election hacking to begin with, to reinstate those sanctions?

Let's be real: you don't actually believe Putin was behind the DNC and Podesta hacks, do you?

BUTUTU BBTBTUT the Republicans were deeply troubled and next time it could be them!

"NOTHING LEAVES THIS ROOM KEEP IT IN THE FAMIL- hahaha just kidding everybody!"

Sorry, man, I can't support this cold war with Russia. It's de-escalation across the board, this totally seems in line with something that Obama would have done btw.

Fully on board, we don't even know what we gave up, if anything.

Man, you're going full Charlie Brown with this, huh?

PBY

Banned
But didn't you say those hacking sanctions were too weak (literally "blame Obama")? Why reinstate admittedly weak sanctions? And why would you trust Donald Trump, who denies there was any election hacking to begin with, to reinstate those sanctions?

Let's be real: you don't actually believe Putin was behind the DNC and Podesta hacks, do you?

Wtf? I'm not defending Russia, I do think they were behind the DNC and Podesta hacks... Fairly sure we have good reporting on that.

kirblar

Wtf? I'm not defending Russia, I do think they were behind the DNC and Podesta hacks... Fairly sure we have good reporting on that.
Then why are you treating a cyber attack as different than any other sort of attack?

The instant our election was done they started up in France and Germany!

Blader

You've couched it many times just today alone with statements like "tried to interfere" and "the influence, if any, is unclear," which are not that far removed from White House talking points.

They didn't try to interfere, they DID interfere, and the influence of that interference has been plainly clear for some time now.

Now can you answer the rest of what I asked:

PBY

Banned
You've couched it many times just today alone with statements like "tried to interfere" and "the influence, if any, is unclear," which are not that far removed from White House talking points.

They didn't try to interfere, they DID interfere, and the influence of that interference has been plainly clear for some time now.

Now can you answer the rest of what I asked:

They did interfere, however, to what extent their influence affected the outcome is unclear. That is reported, documented fact. Not sure how you can dispute this?

As to your question, those sanctions are apparently too weak if Russia continues to hack other nations and we're still very concerned about our future elections. Accordingly, if they're not solving the problem, why not negotiate these to save thousands of lives in Syria.

While I would be wary of this outcome, if the above doesn't work, you can always reinstate these sanctions and make them more stringent.

This seems fairly reasonable to me.

While I understand that, at the same time we have zero reason to trust Putin on anything, multiple reasons to never trust Putin on any supposed "ceasefire", and many reasons to continue sanctions (and/or escalating sanctions) against Russia. A trade of even temporary removal of sanctions for the purposes of a ceasefire in Russia is short-sited in that it will likely not decrease fatalities (because it probably won't actually be a cease-fire) while increasing fatalities in our own countries through continued Russian escalation.

Working with Russia isn't really an option anymore so long as Putin is in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom