• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Is it over yet? Is it done now?

America I mean, not the Trump/Putin fully clothed erotic hand job session.

это конец. Путин наш новый повелитель.

"DON'T YOU FUCKING THINK ABOUT, DINA", part 2

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...gest-7-7?t=1499457265166#update-1499457241000

NV-Sen: On Friday, EMILY’s List announced its endorsement of Rep. Jacky Rosen in next year’s Democratic primary for Senate in Nevada. Fellow Democratic Rep. Dina Titus sill publicly considering her own Senate campaign, but EMILY’s List hasn’t shied away from participating in primaries in the past even when there were two pro-choice women running.

EMILY’s backing follows the major endorsements Rosen previously received from the DSCC and key state Democrats almost immediately after kicking off her candidacy on Thursday. Taken together, this shock-and-awe endorsement strategy is likely intended to dissuade Titus from running to begin with by signaling that the national party establishment is firmly behind Rosen.

Ernest

Banned
tumblr_osqh0nQp1q1qewacoo1_r1_540.jpg

Ernest

Banned
The one that they've been sitting on a huge story at the request of Mueller's team, likely explicitly showing collusion considering how the right was trying to push the "collusion is fine" angle last week.

Maybe they're waiting to get their sources and info straight, but I just don't buy them actually sitting on bombshells that are ready to go, at Mueller's request or not.

Most journalists I've known want to tell stories and want to inform the public. And being "first!" is important because it is a tangible way to show you are better at your job than the competition. After all, a news organization that is always second or third with a story isn't going to be the place most people check with first. And on a personal note, it's fun to beat others to the punch. And at the level we're talking, that could also bring some major, life-changing awards your way.

Every day that a news organization waits on something like this is a day that their competitors could beat them to the punch and I just don't buy holding something beyond a week or two if it's all corroborated and ready to go.

Sitting on one of the biggest stories of all time (which means you are just waiting to get scooped) is far less believable to me than people on the fringes who are over-inflating rumors and/or making things up wholecloth to get attention.

I think Putin might have been thrown off guard by how stupid Trump is. :) I mean everything coming out of this meeting feels random and not thought out. That's definitely not Putin's MO.

In my head Trump just gave Putin an hour and a half speech that he typically delivers during the rallies (basically rambling about random topics). It made absolutely no sense to Putin so in the last 5 minutes he just showed Trump a list of items that they "agree" on.

I'll bet he gave him a signed poster of his Electoral College win.

Zolo

Just a thought:

What happens if someone close to Trump is convicted of state crimes bad enough to get prison time? Can they just stay out of that state and be protected elsewhere in the country? Would any assets they have in the state be seized?

I look forward if any "anit-war" Democratic voters start saying they can't in good conscience vote in the next election because they don't want to go war with Russia.

PBY

Banned
I look forward if any "anit-war" Democratic voters start saying they can't in good conscience vote in the next election because they don't want to go war with Russia.

I mean, its going to be another wedge issue with the DSA and leftist types, 100% for sure if the rhetoric in this thread is any guidepost.

I also am not sure that any of those people abstained from voting en masse.

UberTag

Maybe they're waiting to get their sources and info straight, but I just don't buy them actually sitting on bombshells that are ready to go, at Mueller's request or not.

Most journalists I've known want to tell stories and want to inform the public. And being "first!" is important because it is a tangible way to show you are better at your job than the competition. After all, a news organization that is always second or third with a story isn't going to be the place most people check with first. And on a personal note, it's fun to beat others to the punch. And at the level we're talking, that could also bring some major, life-changing awards your way.

Every day that a news organization waits on something like this is a day that their competitors could beat them to the punch and I just don't buy holding something beyond a week or two if it's all corroborated and ready to go.

Sitting on one of the biggest stories of all time (which means you are just waiting to get scooped) is far less believable to me than people on the fringes who are over-inflating rumors and/or making things up wholecloth to get attention.
And they all sat on the Steele dossier for how long again? Weeks? Months?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yep "I can confirm the story but ask you not to publish it at this time as it would compromise our ability to prosecute those involved."

Nobody wants to be the one to break a big story if that means that it prevents an even bigger one.

A friend of a friend once told me before the election that Trump was the lesser of two evils because, if Hillary won, we would immediately go to war with Russia. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm pretty sure that was an actual fake news story that Russia fabricated and spread online.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yep "I can confirm the story but ask you not to publish it at this time as it would compromise our ability to prosecute those involved."

Nobody wants to be the one to break a big story if that means that it prevents an even bigger one.

They may even have gotten promised a headstart or a scoop in the future.

The one that they've been sitting on a huge story at the request of Mueller's team, likely explicitly showing collusion considering how the right was trying to push the "collusion is fine" angle last week.

Could it be the story/report that Maddow was referencing as a forgery?

I mean, its going to be another wedge issue with the DSA and leftist types, 100% for sure if the rhetoric in this thread is any guidepost.

I also am not sure that any of those people abstained from voting en masse.

What rhetoric in this thread? Being pro sanctions? Are you implying we're pro war or something?

It'd be extremely pathetic if this becomes an actual wedge issue for the same folks demanding the Democratic party listen to them more.

Lo-Volt

people really need to stop doing this to themselves

Why do people need to stop doing this to themselves? Or what, if they don’t? Because every time “we do this to ourselves,” something damning and disturbing about this government is revealed and verified by news organizations that often do a good job telling the truth.

A year ago, the thought of the Steele dossier even being plausible was crazy, never mind the implication that Russia’s government is really approving hacking attempts, efforts to edit voter rolls, or attempts to break into systems that control utilities. The thought that a former FBI director would be hiring the most capable adversarial lawyers in an effort to investigate the administration it its first six months in office, also bonkers. But here we are.

I for one really don’t know if we’re going to get a smoking gun, or the missing link, from Mueller or the Post or anyone. This might not really happen. But it’s incredible that you’re just going to deny the possibility or the plausibility or a genuine story of collusion.

Lo-Volt

You're asking why people should stop putting stock in "rumors" made up by completely random Twitter users? Please. Credibility of the source matters.

Oh, on that point, you’ve totally got me. My bigger complaint is that people here are just going off like “nothing’s going to happen” when credible sources do surprise us. I’ve heard that song quite a lot here, too.

Maybe some of us just really want to learn what’s true or not after a while. “If ever there was a time for this rumor to be true” is not synonymous with “baby, lie to me”.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
listen, you could bet on an explosive / damaging thing coming out of NYT / WaPo on this admin every week for the next 3 years and you'd be right. it's more about hyping yourself up on the long play when there are very real tactical things getting ignored (outside of this thread) that should be attended to.

yes i'm hoping for the oppo droppo but we still need an answer for how fucked up it is that wall street is betting on trump because of fucking tax cuts. like holy shit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
people really need to stop doing this to themselves

Eh...the right-wing media took an instant hard turn toward "Collusion isn't illegal so it's OK" within a day or two. That doesn't happen out of nowhere. That leads me to believe something big is out there at this point.

I was at the gym and noticed Fox and Friends graphic said something like "Concern over Democrats criticizing president while hes meeting with allies".

giphy.gif

Oppo Droppo is a trivializing term for what should criminal offenses. It's not October and it's only a distraction or Hysteria if you want it to be.

Weren't all the "actually collusion is good" spin because people knew that story with Flynn and Smith from last week was coming?

Maybe, but that would be a whole lot of effort for a story that got comparatively little attention. Few people knew about Smith before last week, and few people know about him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom