• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Considering your reaction to Dems possibly working on bipartisan healthcare legislation with moderate Republicans was:

I'd think you'd be a bit more incensed at Sanders trying to give an out to Don Jr over this. I mean, if you were consistent in your outrage you probably should be.
He's not giving Don an out? I would like him to come out stronger though.

Ogodei

Then they will die on that hill.

That's the problem. We're now perilously close to a point where they have to do *something* or a great many of them will lose their jobs. You can continue to sit in the burning building and say "this is fine" until your skin melts off if you're really determined to, but most people won't do that.

The question before was would Trump's fire catch on them: would they feel pressure from the base (or enough of the moderate edge of the base) to do something?

It'll definitely be a sight to see in the coming weeks and months about just how far people can go to deny the reality around them, especially since it's not like Climate Change where denial is easy in part because it's a slow-moving disaster. This is like, New York's underwater now. Will people scream "Fake News!" at that?

Vixdean

Maybe they'll let Bernie and Trump share a cell? Like everyone else who's ever crossed the Clintons, just another pair of bodies floating down the Potomac.

Ogodei

If they aren't going to do recess townhalls anyway, why not just stay in session?

Donor meetings. Recess is much less about average constituent facetime than it is about wealthy constituent fundraising. Arguably more important (for re-election) for them to not be in Washington than for them to be in Washington.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's the problem. We're now perilously close to a point where they have to do *something* or a great many of them will lose their jobs. You can continue to sit in the burning building and say "this is fine" until your skin melts off if you're really determined to, but most people won't do that.

The question before was would Trump's fire catch on them: would they feel pressure from the base (or enough of the moderate edge of the base) to do something?

It'll definitely be a sight to see in the coming weeks and months about just how far people can go to deny the reality around them, especially since it's not like Climate Change where denial is easy in part because it's a slow-moving disaster. This is like, New York's underwater now. Will people scream "Fake News!" at that?

I'm expecting the electorally vulnerable GOP members to start questioning Trump and his administration to get ahead of this to try to save their job.
The ones with any ounce of integrity will do this regardless of their election chances.

teiresias

Taking away vacation and fundraising time to try and force a vote that no one wants to take anyway doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Considering your reaction to Dems possibly working on bipartisan healthcare legislation with moderate Republicans was:

I'd think you'd be a bit more incensed at Sanders trying to give an out to Don Jr over this. I mean, if you were consistent in your outrage you probably should be.

This isn't my argument, but I don't think this is a fair equivalency.

One is the actual machine of politics and one is an outside opinion by somebody with no influence over the process. I can disagree with an opinion or a perspective, but actions (political compromise, in this case) affect my life and the course of the country.

Somebody can not want the Left to compromise with the Right as a starting point and also think it's fine they're being cautious with their public condemnations of a person's litigious situation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Trumpcare seems the most obvious answer.

Yeah, but they could also try to work on their Tax or Infrastructure stuff, the Federal Budget, or all this new Trump shit. Using the time to work on their big tax plan would likely be the best use of time, since its unlikely they could come up with something that would pass for Healthcare.

pigeon

Banned
Bernie saying "let's not rush to judgement but wait for a full and careful investigation" is not an out for Jr.

That's what they said during Watergate. If you're going to impeach a president, you need to make sure it doesn't look like a partisan play.

It definitely matters, but the GOP doesn't have a problem with it. Also, I think the following is why Don Jr. will be on Hannity tonight: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...n-don-jrs-russia-meeting-wasnt-collusion-just

He's not worried atm about getting arrested and is still out in public.
The most obvious question is why the Russians would call such a meeting but not actually produce any evidence or even substantive allegations.
And the answer is that they clearly did. They discussed strategy in Trump Tower. The strategy was to release DNC emails in a drip drip drip fashion. And ultimately, put Podesta in the barrell.

Or do you honestly believe what Don Jr is saying that nothing material was provided? Same chump who provided 3 different stories over 48 hours?

FiggyCal

Banned
Was the email itself released early enough today that there were real-time reactions to it on Morning Joe?

Awww, the lefty savior that's currently under investigation being useless and wishy-washy about someone else under investigation. Thank god those <30 year olds have such great judgment for their "leaders."

I think the NYTimes made the news at 11 AM and then Trump Jr soon after, so no live reactions from Mornig Joe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BREAKING -- McConnell will keep Senate in session the first two weeks of August, per @burgessev and me

Perhaps the rumor is true and they see the writing on the wall with the whole Trump/Russia stuff, and they want to take every chance to repeal ACA while they can.

At this rate, in a few months, you could rewrite Moby Dick to use McConnell and the health bill.

Perhaps the rumor is true and they see the writing on the wall with the whole Trump/Russia stuff, and they want to take every chance to repeal ACA while they can.

Cancelling the August recess has been tossed around by the far right since the first vote failed.

Bernie saying "let's not rush to judgement but wait for a full and careful investigation" is not an out for Jr.

That's what they said during Watergate. If you're going to impeach a president, you need to make sure it doesn't look like a partisan play.
no, you see, this confirms that he's a Communist double agent sent by Putin to destroy the opposition

I'll be glad when he's behind bars.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They have to vote on the debt ceiling this fall and haven't spent more than 5 seconds even thinking about it.

I really don't see that being an issue, it was only a big deal under Obama because Republicans tried to block him on litterally everything.

The Federal Budget is a much bigger deal, that I think has a bigger risk of not going well.

Whether the GOP bails on Trump depends on his approval with Republicans. He's been knocking on the low eighties for months and every little tick helps. I'm not sure what the break point was for Dubya (I think I've seen 75 floated before), but Trump is close.

And besides, if you think nothing matters and nothing will ever be right again, what's the point in caring? I ask this every time people start chicken littling but there's never an answer. Just go be a nihilist in a corner somewhere.

Pence meeting w/ senators today at the WH to discuss healthcare.

Still not dead.
I do hope a few Dems work with the GOP to craft a bill... only to drag things out as long as possible and then deny their support at the last possible minute, the same way moderate Republicans did us in 2009.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'll play! Let me pretend I'm still in middle school.

THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA IS masticating bananas. The totally bogus Farts Dossier and LEAKs are the real wildlife smuggling. Crooked Funk God George Clinton should be in a ball gag!
This is good, nice pivot on George Clinton.

Frankly, let's get back to the January talk of "US does it all the time, now you want us to get mad when somebody does it to us?" At least that defense simplifies things.

Frankly, let's get back to the January talk of "US does it all the time, now you want us to get mad when somebody does it to us?" At least that defense simplifies things.

Right now I see a lot of apologists trying to make an equivalence between Trump-Russia and some oppo researcher the DNC hired to look into Manafort's Ukraine work, who apparently was given some help by the Ukrainian government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom