• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indivisible Guide‏Verified account
@IndivisibleTeam

Despite August news a few hours ago, we are getting word McConnell is close to a deal. Vote on motion to proceed Tues/final vote soon after.

Sure he is. We've heard this song before

I still remember when McConnell reached a deal and the vote was happening tomorrow. And then a few hours later it was cancelled completely. He may have smiled a bit during this time as well.

kirblar

Indivisible Guide‏Verified account
@IndivisibleTeam

Despite August news a few hours ago, we are getting word McConnell is close to a deal. Vote on motion to proceed Tues/final vote soon after.
The sky is always falling, regardless of whether it actually is it not.

FiggyCal

Banned
I really need an explanation of what the fuck Assange
Putin
wanted cause he isn't as stupid as a Trump, he knows publishing thhat is basically affirming he committed a crime!! Or did he want to doctor the emails to make them look not so bad and Trump Jr was too stupid and just did it himself? I just cant

Well, I'm just wondering if he's been talking to his lawyer. I don't trust anything Assange says at this point - it seems unlikely he would follow the guy's counsel. At least not without getting an okay from someone who would know better.

Pretty sure if there were a deal (which, they might make!) it wouldn't be broken by Indivisible. And they wouldn't announce the recess extension today.

I just checked that Twitter and nice job ignoring the entire rest of the tweets that followed

It sounds like we will see bill text with and without Cruz amendment on Thursday. CBO score Monday afternoon.

Plan B if they can't get the votes next week: redo the bill and resend to cbo, which would require 2 more weeks, thus the recess delay.

Your calls to Collins are critical. Right now they're assuming they lose her. Make sure she stays a no.

If Paul is also a no, top targets are Murkowski and Heller. But your calls to ALL your Senators and Governors are so important

McConnell has $400B to bribe with. And if they leave some taxes in place, he will have more. But say it with us: it isn't enough.

No amount of carve outs, stabilization funds, etc. will be enough to make this bitter pill swallowable. Period.

Show UP. Call. Tell your Senators no bribe is going to make this good for their constituents.

We have the momentum right now. We are winning, but that can change in an instant. Turn. It. Up.

That's... a slightly different story than "OMG A DEAL IS MINUTES AWAY AHHHHHH"

jtb

Banned
do you really expect Indivisible to say "pack it in folks, we're done here!" Ditto the PSA folks and all the other advocacy groups.

they're mobilizing the base. far better than the alternative

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DEe5rDsWAAExmtd.jpg:small

In case you didn't see this before:

Republicans, ladies and gentlemen. 25% of them think voting rights "have gone too far."

bplewis24

Neo Member
There is one thing in the emails that bugs me a lot. At one part, it says "I can send to your father [Trump Sr] via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive so wanted to to send it to you [Trump Jr] first"

Why is Trump Jr considered a better way to route ultra sensitive information though, instead of giving it directly to Trump Sr? This just doesn't sit right, it feels like there is something else here.

Not to let Trump off the hook but my first thought is that he is an old man who hates reading, so they know he can't stay on top of his emails to sort out the important ones from the right wing spam for gold and brain enhancement pills.

I think it's a bit more insidious than that. I think the sender realized that there's a chance it was illegal, and thus shouldn't be sent directly to Trump in case it ever came back to hurt him. So while Don Jr was a character in Veep (clueless and clumsily incompetent) the sender was playing a character closer to House of Cards (devious and diabolical, although not quite brilliant enough to avoid leaving an email trail).

teiresias

Republicans, ladies and gentlemen. 25% of them think voting rights "have gone too far."

That 41% saying the right to criticize government has gone too far is so insanely ironic given the state of discussed on the right during Obama's term.

JP_

Banned
Better to convince people it's happening so they'll fight it 24/7.
and maybe look at what happened the last time this happened. Died in the house, then revived and quickly passed with an amendment that made it even worse. Poligaf is really good at being overconfident.

and maybe look at what happened the last time this happened. Died in the house, then revived and quickly passed with an amendment that made it even worse. Poligaf is really good at being overconfident.

Twitter has a really, really, really garbage awful terrible track record for this stuff.

McConnell's MASTER PLAN ALL HOPE IS LOST Heller and Collins are the pre-defined nos, it's passing TOMORROW they're doing it all in secret and it's going to happen, we know because we have "sources" and stuff.

Stop following political action groups on twitter ffs. Do it for your own sanity.

And also I distinctly recall the majority of PoliGaf actually said "this might pass the house, but it'll die in the senate" and look what's happening now.

jtb

Banned
You cause people to panic all the time over baseless rumors and nothing stories and they just tune it out. They even wrote a book on this concept

People don't like panicking all the time. They eventually just cope by ignoring everything.

On the other hand, look at how the house bill passed. The grassroots thought they had won, and they failed.

Republicans control the house, senate and Presidency. Until that changes, it makes sense to be on high alert from now until 2019.

Twitter has a really, really, really garbage awful terrible track record for this stuff.

McConnell's MASTER PLAN ALL HOPE IS LOST Heller and Collins are the pre-defined nos, it's passing TOMORROW they're doing it all in secret and it's going to happen, we know because we have "sources" and stuff.

Stop following political action groups on twitter ffs. Do it for your own sanity.

And also I distinctly recall the majority of PoliGaf actually said "this might pass the house, but it'll die in the senate" and look what's happening now.

There is a near limitless well of anti-Trump money and support from the grassroots. We should use it, not tell people to sit on their thumbs because the job is done. There is no risk to this strategy, only upside.

On the other hand, look at how the house bill passed. The grassroots thought they had won, and they failed.

Republicans control the house, senate and Presidency. Until that changes, it makes sense to be on high alert from now until 2019.

Nobody can be on high alert for 2 years.

There is a near limitless well of anti-Trump money and support from the grassroots. We should use it, not tell people to sit on their thumbs because the job is done. There is no risk to this strategy, only upside.

We literally had people in this very thread say just a few days ago "I can't take any more of this, I'm going to take a break from politics for awhile"

So yes, there IS a real risk to PANIC ALL THE TIMMMMEEEE

Wilsongt

That 41% saying the right to criticize government has gone too far is so insanely ironic given the state of discussed on the right during Obama's term.

Irony is a concept lost on Republicans because a lot of them lack proper schooling for which such a subject could have been taught.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I missing some way in which the released emails are not incriminating as fuck? They literally contain the phrases "the Russian government's support of Mr. Trump" and "a Russian government lawyer would like to meet with you"

jtb

Banned
Nobody can be on high alert for 2 years.

Well, I think Trump is going to put that theory very seriously to the test.

If there's any burnout whatsoever, we're not going to retake the house because we're going to see this level of, for lack of a better word, panic all the way through 2018.

I personally think there's a deeper well of activism than we've seen in decades since the 60s. The grassroots is begging for ways to make an impact (see: Ossoff) in these non-election years. We should use it.

We literally had people in this very thread say just a few days ago "I can't take any more of this, I'm going to take a break from politics for awhile"

So yes, there IS a real risk to PANIC ALL THE TIMMMMEEEE

I don't understand what the alternative is. The exhaustion will come no matter what because Trump is president and the Republicans control everything. Tuning out is not going to change that fact.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I do think it will probably pass. It seems like a bad idea to take republican's at their word about it, when history has shown they can take the tiniest of concessions and call it a victory for moderacy.

Mikef2000

Am I missing some way in which the released emails are not incriminating as fuck? They literally contain the phrases "the Russian government's support of Mr. Trump" and "a Russian government lawyer would like to meet with you"

Don't forget Don Jr.'s reply to that was: "if that's true, I'd love it".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alexandra Erin's analysis seems on point as always:

https://twitter.com/alexandraerin/status/884784514387542017
Basically that the story about the meeting with the Russian lady sounds so confusing because it was yet another attempt by the Russians to say "we think our uncle's best friends gym teacher might be interested in helping you out" and the Trumps just being too thick to get it

(She's been remarkably on point about reading people's personalities and how it motivated the actions we see, her pre-Comey testimony predictions of how that testimony would play out we're strikingly accurate)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Don't forget Jr.'s response of "If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer."

It's about as smoking gun as you get for the Trump campaign.

Don't know if that makes it a smoking gun for Trump himself.

I don't understand what the alternative is.

Allow yourself a couple of days to laugh at Donald Trump Jr's stupidity without worrying that's it's a distraction (which is a ridiculous concept for a vote that requires a CBO report beforehand) or that the healthcare bill is minutes away from passing, despite clear evidence to the contrary (the recess delay, nobody of consequence talking about any kind of deal).

When I heard about the recess delay, my first reaction wasn't "this is a ploy by McConnell to rush the bill!!" it was "oh cool, now I don't have to think about this stupid bill while I'm on vacation this week"

Let yourself go "ahahahahaha lol what a moron, these people are so stupid" and not always think that it's some alternative scheme or ploy or whatever and get yourself all worked up over random Twitter posts from people who are paid to rile up people. Have some fun with politics every once and awhile when the bad news is slow. Don't turn a slow bad news week into a bad week by looking for a reason to panic.

jtb

Banned
Allow yourself a couple of days to laugh at Donald Trump Jr's stupidity without worrying that's it's a distraction (which is a ridiculous concept for a vote that requires a CBO report beforehand) or that the healthcare bill is minutes away from passing, despite clear evidence to the contrary (the recess delay, nobody of consequence talking about any kind of deal).

When I heard about the recess delay, my first reaction wasn't "this is a ploy by McConnell to rush the bill!!" it was "oh cool, now I don't have to think about this stupid bill while I'm on vacation this week"

Let yourself go "ahahahahaha lol what a moron, these people are so stupid" and not always think that it's some alternative scheme or ploy or whatever and get yourself all worked up over random Twitter posts from people who are paid to rile up people. Have some fun with politics every once and awhile when the bad news is slow. Don't turn a slow bad news week into a bad week by looking for a reason to panic.

I guess I think taking action does not (should not?) require panicking. Idk though, I'm not a panicker.

Though, obviously, inciting panic seems to be the easiest way of mobilizing political action. (And the less said about idiotic "~diSTRACtioN~ (1/67)" Twitter thread bullshit bullshit the better.)

That part actually disturbs me less than the other two graphs. I'd imagine 25% of Republicans think "illegals are voting with impunity!" and they're a lost cause.

AP on twitter:

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 11m11 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Leading Senate Republican says revised GOP health care bill will likely retain Obama tax boosts on wealthier Americans.

Zolo

Yeah the fact that people think protesting and press rights have gone too far is horrifying

I guess on the bright side, it's still about 41 % of say about 45% of the population, so that still only makes it about 18% of the population. Still way more than it should be, but it's not a majority opinion by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom