• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

The "work with Dems" option is likely what medicaid-expansion state senators like Capito want here anyway.

True. Theoretically, Democrats + "moderate" Republicans could have a working majority/coalition in both chambers of Congress, but neither party's base would be thrilled about their cooperating. I think the Democratic base would be a bit more forgiving, though.

True. Theoretically, Democrats + "moderate" Republicans could have a working majority/coalition in both chambers of Congress, but neither party's base would be thrilled about their cooperating. I think the Democratic base would be a bit more forgiving, though.

More like dealing with the devil assuming if the Democrats don't gut a significant portion of the bill to make it unrecognizable to the current.

I have the belief that it would make things more harder to work with Democrats in some cases. One major point, moderate Republican ≠ Democrats or even moderate ones.

ShOcKwAvE

Just speculating, but might Mueller's team play dumb about stuff like this? In other words, they know way more than they let on and act like this is news to them, so not to tip anyone off.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Just speculating, but might Mueller's team play dumb about stuff like this? In other words, they know way more than they let on, so not to tip anyone off.

That seems smart if you have flipped anyone.

At the same time, perhaps Mueller's been looking more into stuff like finances and following money trails. I recall several of the people he hired specialize in that.

Chococat

Maybe they've been looking more at Trump directly, and haven't really gotten around to looking at Jr (yet)?

I take it more as Mueller knew of the meeting(s)/timeline, but didn't have the email details.

Also, now that Jr/NYT brought it to light in the public sphere, it a good time add more pressure to see who else will talk.

Well yes, because Democrats are generally interested in getting things done.

The GOP base would be just fine if McConnell literally set fire to the building tomorrow.

Hindl

Is it possible for them to leave these taxes for healthcare now but then change the tax structure through tax reform later?

If it is then wouldn't that lose the moderates for the tax reform bill and then that bill is DOA? If keeping the taxes in are what flips them on healthcare then you'd think a later bill removing them would be a hard no

Teggy

Chris Licht @ChrisLicht

.@JoeNBC just announced during @colbertlateshow taping that he's leaving GOP. Now an Independent. Watch tonight at 11:35 on @CBS
6:40 PM · Jul 11, 2017 from Manhattan, NY

I guess all those softball interviews he gave to trump don't matter now, right? All is forgiven /s

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What the fuck, so NYT scooped Mueller? That makes Mueller seem incompetent. How could this happen?
Eh... CNN said details about the meeting "weren't fully known to federal investigators until recently." That might just mean they didn't have the emails or concrete details like what was provided by Donald Trump Jr's own incriminating remarks. I think it's foolish to imagine they knew absolutely nothing about this meeting when the major tipoff was revised disclosures by Kushner and Manafort.

Might drive the far righties away though. That can't be a good look for them to keep those taxes.

Yeah - wouldn't this lose in the House once it goes back with the wealthy taxes still in place? This smells like the Senate wants to kick a bill back to the House that they know the House won't pass & let them be the ones to take the blame for keeping Obamacare in place.

Basically, these guys are gonna keep bouncing this thing back and forth between each other until they either figure something out or find a way to push a narrative among their constituency that raises the core of this bill's approval rating.

What the fuck, so NYT scooped Mueller? That makes Mueller seem incompetent. How could this happen?

This was a story being investigated, but unless someone within the inner workings of Trumpland were gonna flip, which is exactly what happened here only it was to the NYT & not Mueller's team/FBI, then there wasn't a way Mueller was going to get this concrete evidence without a subpoena.

Considering the areas Mueller's team has been expanding & hiring out, i'd say they have plenty of huge threads they are pulling at the moment.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm skeptical that anyone on Mueller's team would tip off the press as to what they knew and when they knew it. That ships been pretty tight and there's a strategic benefit to keeping the lid closed on that kinda stuff.

lol

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/11/media/right-wing-media-donald-trump-jr-emails-russians/index.html

Raheem Kassam, editor-in-chief of Breitbart London, reacted to the story of Donald J. Trump's newly-released emails in a way that wouldn't typically be expected from someone at the far-right outfit, which is a reliable supporter of President Trump.

"So like, this is straight up collusion," he wrote in the news outlet's internal Slack, according to a transcript of the conversation obtained by CNN. "Right?"

Minutes before, Donald Trump Jr. had disclosed on Twitter an email exchange from June 2016 in which he'd agreed to meet with someone he'd been told was a "Russian government attorney" about "very high level and sensitive information" that would "incriminate" Hillary Clinton.

The text of the emails sent shockwaves through most newsrooms. At Breitbart, not everyone was on the same page.

Some staffers were seemingly left astonished. Writing in the company Slack, senior editor Rebecca Mansour reacted with only one word: "Wow." Amanda House, the outlet's deputy politics editor, wrote only, "???????"

But Matthew Boyle, Breitbart's Washington editor, who has been fervently pro-Trump, was less than convinced of the severity of the situation.

"I mean I don't take this as a smoking gun at all. This is silly," he wrote.

The debate inside Breitbart, was emblematic of a larger sense of confusion that appeared to grip much of the pro-Trump media following the bombshell release of the Donald Trump Jr. emails. Typically, people and outlets that support Trump will coalesce around a message relatively quickly; not this time, though.

Ultimately, Breitbart chose to cover the news in a way favorable to Donald Trump Jr., but with a tone notably less animated than it has displayed during other bad news cycles for the Trump administration. The website's lead article for much of the afternoon covered the basic facts of the story, but included a final sentence saying, "The email does not refer to any cooperation, coordination or collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government."

A spokesman for Breitbart, asked for a response from the outlet and from the participants in the conversation, declined comment.

Elsewhere in the pro-Trump media universe, reactions varied.

Fox News' first response was silence. It took the network 34 minutes to first read the email exchange on-air -- long after its rivals CNN and MSNBC had gone into full breaking news mode. The cable news outlet initially treated the emails as a run-of-the-mill story. After briefly covering it at first, the anchors on the show on at the time, "Happening Now," casually moved on to other news items.

Eventually, as the story developed, Fox began to cover the revelations more aggressively. But the network never went into non-stop breaking news coverage as CNN and MSNBC did. And as it covered the emails it also weaved in stories more palatable to its base, such as questions over whether former FBI Director James Comey mishandled classified information when he provided a memo detailing his recollections of a meeting with the president to a friend for the purpose of leaking to the media.

On his radio show, Fox News host Sean Hannity -- who scored an exclusive cable news interview with Donald Trump Jr. slated to air Tuesday night -- hinted at how he would cover the news on his television program. Hannity, who is perhaps Trump's most loyal soldier on cable news, attacked what he called the media's "breathless" coverage of the latest revelations surrounding Donald Trump Jr. and suggested they didn't support the theory that the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians during the 2016 presidential election.

"If Donald Trump himself was colluding with Vladimir Putin and the Russians, why would he need his son to act as an intermediary?" Hannity asked his millions of listeners.

The Drudge Report, the highly-trafficked conservative news website founded and operated by Trump supporter Matt Drudge, took a different tone. Focusing more on the news and less on spinning the news than the site might typically with a story like this one, an article about the email disclosure was simply bannered with a headline in which the Russian lawyer in question denied having a connection to the Kremlin.

Alex Jones, the InfoWars founder who frequently peddles conspiracy theories and has been praised by Trump, conceived perhaps the oddest way to explain away the news to his audience. He told his listeners that Donald Trump Jr. was "doing his job" by "trying to find Russian spies."

Elsewhere in the pro-Trump media universe, far-right writers argued that the emails disclosed by Donald Trump Jr. proved stories by The New York Times over the past few days were false -- though in fact they had shown the opposite, that the Times' reporting had been rock-solid. Far-right writer Mike Cernovich tweeted, "As suspected the lying NY Times fabricated another fake story!" Jack Posobiec, another far-right writer, tweeted that the emails "contradict" the Times' story and have "blown [it] out of the water." Pro-Trump personality Bill Mitchell added, "And just like that, another blockbuster from the NYTimes (Don Jr Story) ends up being pure bulls**t."

Asked how he could say the emails released by Donald Trump Jr. proved the Times' stories were "fabricated" when they actually backed the newspaper's reporting, Cernovich told CNN he was "pushing back against the broader narrative" that the emails proved collusion.

"This doesn't prove collusion," Cernovich insisted. "All it proves is that there was a meeting set up."

I guess all those softball interviews he gave to trump don't matter now, right? All is forgiven /s

Oh, I'm just a Moderate Darling
Bipartisan as can be
Yes, I'm just a moderate darling
Smiling here on Tee Vee!

They say that I hate im-uh-grints
Well, that just simply ain't true!
When I lock 'em in the camps
Give 'em a toothbrush or two!

And when it comes to a-bor-shun
Oh, I let reason preeeeevail
Though I close down the clinics
Don't tell 'em they're goin' to hell!

I have plenty of gay friends
As fabulous as can be
May not outlaw those hate crimes
But give 'em my sym-pa-THEEE

Well, I'm just a moderate darling
What do you expect of me?
Yeah, I'm just a moderate darling
BOTH SIDES is better, you see!

The meter may be a bit off because I feel too exhausted to engage in scansion right now.

right wing head spinning and complete implosion is amazing. I wish they'd just own up to it.

Instead we're going to get lol-tastic stories like this all night long.

giphy.gif

PBY

Banned
So Jr says on Hannity tn that Trump never knew of the meeting

Are we just going to forget about this in a week???

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oh, I'm just a Moderate Darling
Bipartisan as can be
Yes, I'm just a moderate darling
Smiling here on Tee Vee!

They say that I hate im-uh-grints
Well, that just simply ain't true!
When I lock 'em in the camps
Give 'em a toothbrush or two!

And when it comes to a-bor-shun
Oh, I let reason preeeeevail
Though I close down the clinics
Don't tell 'em they're goin' to hell!

I have plenty of gay friends
As fabulous as can be
May not outlaw those hate crimes
But give 'em my sym-pa-THEEE

Well, I'm just a moderate darling
What do you expect of me?
Yeah, I'm just a moderate darling
BOTH SIDES is better, you see!

The meter may be a bit off because I feel too exhausted to engage in scansion right now.

This is pure shit. You can be a moderate without being in the middle of every political stance.

Blader

No, now we hope for a story that shows he had either knowledge of or participation in the meeting.
A story? Jr. saying he did something without his father ever knowing is going to bait Trump into tweeting about how nothing on his campaign gets done without him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
So Jr says on Hannity tn that Trump never knew of the meeting

Are we just going to forget about this in a week???

Every time these guys say something like that, NYT/Wapo drops proof they're lying, so...

This is pure shit. You can be a moderate without being in the middle of every political stance.

True moderates =/= the slightly less egregious extremist Republicans the BOTH SIDES cable news shows try to pass off as moderates. They hold thoroughly backward positions and hateful views yet conceal their ugliness more effectively; they occasionally offer a few limp "bipartisan" statements even though they vote with the party 90%+ of the time. Calling them moderate requires a semantic contortion of extreme proportions.

Hence the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom