• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
True moderates =/= the slightly less egregious extremist Republicans the BOTH SIDES cable news shows try to pass off as moderates. They hold thoroughly backward positions and hateful views yet conceal their ugliness more effectively; they occasionally offer a few limp "bipartisan" statements even though they vote with the party 90%+ of the time. Calling them moderate requires a semantic contortion of extreme proportions.

Hence the joke.

Your understanding of what a moderate is, is wrong. Posters like you make me so glad I left the Democratic party.

If they didnt do anything wrong why are they trying to so hard to convince everyone that Trump didnt know about this meeting that took place in his home between his son, son in law, and campaign manager?

kirblar

Your understanding of what a moderate is, is wrong. Posters like you make me so glad I left the Democratic party.
You have absolutely no idea who Autodidact is talking about.

In the same way many GOP voters now classify as "independent" because of the social stigma associated w/ the GOP Brand over the past 15 years, many GOP politicians claim to be "moderates" while actually being anything but.

There are indeed actual moderates. (see: Susan Collins) They're just not very common anymore.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

"Moderates hold hateful views" yet this clown is insulting everyone that doesn't identify as a Dem. Bullshit hypocrisy.

You have absolutely no idea who Autodidact is talking about.

In the same way many GOP voters now classify as "independent" because of the social stigma associated w/ the GOP Brand over the past 15 years, many GOP politicians claim to be "moderates" while actually being anything but.

Moderates exist in boths parties and within Independents.

lolmg

@tinyrevolution

Breitbart editor in public vs. Breitbart editor in private

DEfaYwDXoAA2YZj.jpg

You know, you can't please fucking anyone these days. I and other posters in this thread have been called centrist moderate sellouts because we haven't genuflected before Saint Bernie, and now I got you telling me that I have no concept of moderation even though I explained to you my ironic usage of Moderate Darling. Combine all that with Republicans telling me that I'm a far-left liberal commie, and your boy gets confused.

Let's try it this way: (1) name some people from both parties whom you would consider moderate, and (2) show me how ignorant Democrats "like me" have distorted or misunderstood the concept of moderation. And finally (3), tell me definitively whether I'm a centrist neoliberal shill or stupid leftist, because evidently I need some outside expertise if your opinion of me holds any weight.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Autodidact makes a joke song-post about GOP faux-Moderates.

You get upset because you think it's about you.

That's not on him.

Where is the GOP mentioned in his "song"?

You know, you can't please fucking anyone these days. I and other posters in this thread have been called centrist moderate sellouts because we haven't genuflected before Saint Bernie, and now I got you telling me that I have no concept of moderation even though I explained to you my ironic usage of Moderate Darling. Combine all that with Republicans telling me that I'm a far-left liberal commie, and your boy gets confused.

Let's try it this way: (1) name some people from both parties whom you would consider moderate, and (2) show me how ignorant Democrats "like me" have distorted or misunderstood the concept of moderation. And finally (3), tell me definitively whether I'm a centrist neoliberal shill or stupid liberal, because evidently I need some outside expertise if your opinion of me holds any weight.

When did I call you ignorant?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
"Moderate Darlings" is specifically a reference to GOP politicians! The term is not used for anyone else!

"Moderate Darling" is an epithet attached to particular GOP Senators in Democratic circles (and this thread)

This is literally my first time reading the phrase "Moderate Darling". Google returns nothing.

If the Dems want to reach to Independent voters, maybe you should all work on your phrasing, because this makes you look like assholes.

kirblar

This is literally my first time reading the phrase "Moderate Darling". Google returns nothing.

If the Dems want to reach to Independent voters, maybe you should all work on your phrasing, because this makes you look like assholes.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=29308542

Oh please. The old "THEM LIBERALS WERE MEAN TO ME AND MADE ME VOTE THIS WAY" excuse is just another way for people to shrug off responsibility for their own actions.

jtb

Banned
so.... slow news day on GAF huh

in other news:

@EvanMcMullin
We really should talk, @OrrinHatch.

MJ LeeVerified account @mj_lee
Sen. Hatch says the Don Jr. emails are not "relevant" and "all this stuff about Trump's sons and daughter -- it's a bunch of bunk."
4:33 PM - 11 Jul 2017

he bout to do it

Also, can we add Twitter card embeds within GAF sometime? Twitter sucks

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You implied that I'm ignorant of what a moderate is. I've been waiting for your scholarly definition supplemented by examples from both parties.

Being wrong doesn't make you ignorant. Everyone is wrong many times in their lives.

What...does it mean to you to be a moderate

Someone who doesn't agree with either party fully or votes based on key issues they are important to the person (ie: Iraq War in 2008 and economy in 2016--this is not me, just an example).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=29308542

Oh please. The old "THEM LIBERALS WERE MEAN TO ME AND MADE ME VOTE THIS WAY" excuse is just another way for people to shrug off responsibility for their own actions.

NeoGAF Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

How the hell do you know how I vote?

Hot take: liberals need moderates on the right to form workable coalitions and moderates on the left to win house seats.

Hot take 2: there are no sitting moderate republicans

kirblar

NeoGAF Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

How the hell do you know how I vote?
Search "Moderate Darling" in OT community. you'll get hits all over the PoliGAF threads from the past 2 years.

I don't know how you vote, I know how the person who blames their votes on "those mean liberals" votes.

Someone who doesn't agree with either party fully or votes based on key issues they are important to the person (ie: Iraq War in 2008 and economy in 2016--this is not me, just an example).

I'd agree somewhat with that definition, but you questioned my use of the term Moderate Darling, which you objected to even after I defined it and explained its ironic meaning. You won't find it on Google because I've adopted it as my schtick on this forum to mock, as I said, those GOP senators who claim to be moderate yet vote in lock-step with the party.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You've described all human beings

I don't like either political party so I am registered Independent. I won't vote R or D just to strengthen the party. I vote on the key issues that matter to me.

I'd agree somewhat with that definition, but you questioned my use of the term Moderate Darling, which you objected to even after I defined it and explained its ironic meaning. You won't find it on Google because I've adopted it as my schtick on this forum to mock, as I said, those GOP senators who claim to be moderate yet vote in lock-step with the party.

I feel like I follow PoliGAF well and had no clue this was a thing. What type of message do you really want to send to anyone reading your posts?

Oh, I'm just a Moderate Darling
Bipartisan as can be
Yes, I'm just a moderate darling
Smiling here on Tee Vee!

They say that I hate im-uh-grints
Well, that just simply ain't true!
When I lock 'em in the camps
Give 'em a toothbrush or two!

And when it comes to a-bor-shun
Oh, I let reason preeeeevail
Though I close down the clinics
Don't tell 'em they're goin' to hell!

I have plenty of gay friends
As fabulous as can be
May not outlaw those hate crimes
But give 'em my sym-pa-THEEE

Well, I'm just a moderate darling
What do you expect of me?
Yeah, I'm just a moderate darling
BOTH SIDES is better, you see!

The meter may be a bit off because I feel too exhausted to engage in scansion right now.
I thought it was funny! Don't let anyone talk you out of taking Susan Collins down a peg!

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I guess tensions are high as we all wait for that NYT reporter to make good on his tweet.

I don't like either political party so I am registered Independent. I won't vote R or D just to strengthen the party. I vote on the key issues that matter to me.

I feel like I follow PoliGAF well and had no clue this was a thing. What type of message do you really want to send to anyone reading your posts?

An ironic one, as I've now explained about five times. I use the term to spotlight how the media, in its lust to show BOTH SIDES of every issue, makes moderates out of slightly less vocal extremists who toe the party line almost invariably. It is a joke. If you don't find it funny, fine, but stop pretending that you don't understand it.

kirblar

It's only fair when you take my posts out of context now?
No one is taking your posts out of context. You made a very bad read of a post because you didn't understand the context, and have now doubled down on it after having it explained to you while complaining about how mean Democrats are.

That's all on you. You won't own your fuckup and are instead going aggro on other people when called out on it.

No one is taking your posts out of context. You made a very bad read of a post because you didn't understand the context, and have now doubled down on it after having it explained to you while complaining about how mean Democrats are.

That's all on you. You won't own your fuckup and are instead going aggro on other people when called out on it.

He's partly talking about an exchange he and I had in another thread, but that still doesn't explain the intransigence I'm encountering.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
An ironic one, as I've now explained about five times. I use the term to spotlight how the media, in its lust to show BOTH SIDES of every issue, makes moderates out of slightly less vocal extremists who toe the party line almost invariably. It is a joke. If you don't find it funny, fine, but stop pretending that you don't understand it.

I understand it now. I still think it's ineffective as a message because it reads like you're going after actual moderates. If you can't take criticism, don't put your hot takes out into the world.

Where did I say Dems were mean?

I understand it now. I still think it's ineffective as a message because it reads like you're going after actual moderates.

Luckily I'm not trying to send a message, just maintaining a running joke.

But if we're on the same page about the definition, I think we're done. Good moderate talk.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
To be fair, moderate darling as a euphemism is only used here. I've not read the dig elsewhere

If you want people to stumble into and accept the euphemism, maybe make it more clear what you are lampooning. Democrats are terrible at messaging. When the other party literally wants to fuck over the poor and the Dems can't get elected, you have a huge messaging problem. Making fun of moderates ain't gonna help your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom