• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Someone who doesn't agree with either party fully or votes based on key issues they are important to the person (ie: Iraq War in 2008 and economy in 2016--this is not me, just an example).

How the hell do you know how I vote?
Dude, you're being antagonistic over a generalisation that pretty much is true 99% of the time. There's no need to get bent out of shape over it.

I've voted for every major political party in elections in Canada over the past decade and I don't get bent out of shape over this kind of rationale. The political climate in the US is highly polarized right now.

Most of the time people calling themselves moderates have been proven to be anything but. These are factual statements. It's ludicrous to deny that and then go "what about me, I'm not like them, I'm special" as if that suddenly makes the generalisation not true.

It would be nice to think that people will take the time to make informed decisions based on issues and candidate qualifications instead of blindly subscribing to a single solitary party view. It would be nice to think that people would actually take the time to vote at all. We don't live in that kind of idealistic world, however.

Oh no Rob Goldstone invites a lot of twinks on to his yachts and calls them his "muppets"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...067794.-2207520000.1499817873.&type=3&theater

Rob Goldstone
July 7 ·

Muppet alert!!!

19731956_10155112251382795_1932024894804047311_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...067794.-2207520000.1499817881.&type=3&theater

Rob Goldstone
July 6 ·

Milos and me in Montenegro going for a tour! Montenegro Muppet

19657444_10155108740967795_4897345789417726438_n.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Dude, you're being antagonistic over a generalisation that pretty much is true 99% of the time. There's no need to get bent out of shape over it.

I've voted for every major political party in elections in Canada over the past decade and I don't get bent out of shape over this kind of rationale. The political climate in the US is highly polarized right now.

Most of the time people calling themselves moderates have been proven to be anything but. These are factual statements. It's ludicrous to deny that and then go "what about me, I'm not like them, I'm special" as if that suddenly makes the generalisation not true.

Raising an objection to a turn of phrase is getting bent out of shape?

Oh no Rob Goldstone invites a lot of twinks on to his yachts and calls them his "muppets"

Sorry to be bent out of shape, but what does his sexual orientation have to do with anything?

Without addressing any particular poster... What on earth does deliberately staking out a position in the middle get you? It means you're by default gonna be way, way right of center, since Dems range from far left to near left, and the Republicans are uniformly in the extreme right. So you're basically sacrificing your political agency in the name of pleasing... some odd notion of fairness, I guess.

And that's not even getting into how there aren't really any worthwhile "moderate" positions on a lot of today's defining issues. Either you believe gay people, black people, immigrants, and women are people, or you're a conservative. These are your options, sadly.

If you want people to stumble into and accept the euphemism, maybe make it more clear what you are lampooning. Democrats are terrible at messaging. When the other party literally wants to fuck over the poor and the Dems can't get elected, you have a huge messaging problem. Making fun of moderates ain't gonna help your cause.

I don't disagree, but we're just a small community on a board, man. Inside jokes are bound to happen.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Without addressing any particular poster... What on earth does deliberately staking out a position in the middle get you? It means you're by default gonna be way, way right of center, since Dems range from far left to near left, and the Republicans are uniformly in the extreme right. So you're basically sacrificing your political agency in the name of pleasing... some odd notion of fairness, I guess.

And that's not even getting into how there aren't really any worthwhile "moderate" positions on a lot of today's defining issues. Either you believe gay people, black people, immigrants, and women are people, or you're a conservative. These are your options, sadly.

I'm not sacrificing anything. Being moderate doesn't mean I am in the middle of every single political stance. I'm not super well versed in global economics, so I don't take a hard stance. Is that so terrible?

I don't disagree, but we're just a small community on a board, man. Inside jokes are bound to happen.

Inside jokes are fine. Just be aware of what message you are sending to those who aren't in the loop. If you're okay with coming off as insulting moderates, then have at it. But don't be surprised if independents and moderates walk away after reading your "jokes".

I'm not sacrificing anything. Being moderate doesn't mean I am in the middle of every single political stance. I'm not super well versed in global economics, so I don't take a hard stance. Is that so terrible?

Wouldn't the solution be to, like, do some reading and research and then take a harder stance?

Zolo

For the most part, I imagine independents are mainly people who grow up mainly on 'both sides are bad'. There's also been a recent transition of Republicans -> Independents due to the current state of the party such as with Morning Joe and Comey.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Wouldn't the solution be to, like, do some reading and research and then take a harder stance?

Sure, but at the end of the day, how much is it worth my time? I don't have the time normally to go through every single issue enough to become unwavering.

It's really creepy when old men invite teens to their yacht and then call them muppets.

But your moderate darlings thing is okay on here? Okay.

For the most part, I imagine independents are mainly people who grow up mainly on 'both sides are bad'. There's also been a recent transition of Republicans -> Independents due to the current state of the party such as with Morning Joe and Comey.

I agree both sides are bad. I think the Republicans are worse at the federal level but there are some good R's at the local level. I work with some and some represent the city I live in.

jtb

Banned
I think moderates are fine. What I have a problem with is fetishizing bipartisanship as some kind of proxy for quality in measuring legislation or governance. Got us into this whole fucking mess.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yashar Ali‏Verified account @yashar 2h2 hours ago

June 7 - 5:16 PM - Don Jr. confirms meeting w/ Russian lawyer

June 7 - 9:13 PM Trump promises press conf the next week with Clinton dirt.

But he totally didn't know about it, guys! Pure coincidence!

Sure, but at the end of the day, how much is it worth my time? I don't have the time normally to go through every single issue enough to become unwavering.

But certainly you have time to develop some firm principles that inform your perception of the world and influence the way you see certain issues? Humans are very rarely truly wishy-washy or "in the middle." If they describe themselves as such, they typically don't care or "don't have time," as you say, to research issues. Nonchalance should not be mistaken for moderation

Tarydax

Banned
If you want people to stumble into and accept the euphemism, maybe make it more clear what you are lampooning. Democrats are terrible at messaging. When the other party literally wants to fuck over the poor and the Dems can't get elected, you have a huge messaging problem. Making fun of moderates ain't gonna help your cause.

No one here is in charge of the Democratic Party's messaging. If moderates choose not to vote for Democrats because some posts on an internet forum set them off, they were never going to vote Democratic in the first place.

Most actual registered Independents I know are pretty far from what I'd ever call "moderate." They're embarrassed Republicans in the best case, or deliberately manipulative ones in the worst ("You can't call me a partisan sack of garbage, I'm a registered independent!").

The rest are both sides loons, yeah.

Oh, I forgot the third flavor of moderates, people who adopt the craziest positions from both sides of the spectrum.

But your moderate darlings thing is okay on here? Okay.

I agree both sides are bad. I think the Republicans are worse at the federal level but there are some good R's at the local level. I work with some and some represent the city I live in.

No R's are good. Full stop. Every single one of them will throw you under the bus at the drop of a hat if they think it'll advance their agenda an inch or if their propaganda ministry tells them to. Party of sociopaths. Some day that may change, but right now the only members in the party that moderate at all are ones that can't afford to show their full colors.

Also you're holding a group of basically anonymous forum posters to some weirdly high standards.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
But certainly you have time to develop some firm principles that inform your perception of the world and influence the way you see certain issues? Humans are very rarely truly wishy-washy or "in the middle." If they describe themselves as such, they typically don't care or "don't have time," as you say, to research issues. Nonchalance should not be mistaken for moderation

I have issues that are important to me. A lot of them deal with how my city & state are governed. National politics are less interesting to me and impact me less on a daily basis. I've been following the healthcare stuff because it is likely to impact me & my wife in a big way. I don't have a solution 100% but I know I don't want to go the way the Republicans are headed.

please don't lurk in the community threads you're posting in for a single minute so you'd realize whyamihere is, himself, a gay man, much like about 80% of the thread

Like 90% of this thread is gay

Then why point out that someone is gay? I literally do not understand what that post is hoping to achieve.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
presumably, for the same reason (but more narrowly focused) that The NeoGAF Straights were creeped out by amir0x's constant defenses of pedophilia pre-permaban

When did twink become synonymous with pedophilia?

No one here is in charge of the Democratic Party's messaging. If moderates choose not to vote for Democrats because some posts on an internet forum set them off, they were never going to vote Democratic in the first place.

You're right but people do associate your behavior with that of other dems.

No R's are good. Full stop. Every single one of them will throw you under the bus at the drop of a hat if they think it'll advance their agenda an inch or if their propaganda ministry tells them to.

I 100% disagree with this.

Then why point out that someone is gay? I literally do not understand what that post is hoping to achieve.

Adult males having consensual sexual relations with other adult males = good.

Adult males inviting questionably legal teenage boys onto private yachts = creepy and potentially illegal.

Kusagari

Yashar Ali‏Verified account
@yashar
1. Trey Gowdy on Fox News: The drip drip drip is undermining the credibility of this administration.
2. Gowdy just now: What's w/ the amnesia of this administration? Someone needs to get everyone together and find out what the real story is
3. Gowdy says he is very concerned about the language in the email....

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884913565332885504

What the hell is going on? GOWDY speaking sense?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
are you actually this dense or do you have a hard time figuring out why it might be considered weird for an old man to surround himself with teenagers in a sexual context

Adult males having consensual sexual relations with other adult males = good.

Adult males inviting questionably legal teenage boys onto private yachts = creepy and potentially illegal.

I am missing the part where teenagers are involved, I guess. Do you have a link to something that is not baseless speculation?

Maiden, I feel like you're just continually digging here.

How dare I have the gall to dare challenge the status quo of Poligaf!

are you actually this dense or do you have a hard time figuring out why it might be considered weird for an old man to surround himself with teenagers in a sexual context

To be fair, it goes from weird to bizarre because he calls them his muppets.

I am missing the part where teenagers are involved, I guess. Do you have a link to something that is not baseless speculation?

straight people are exhausting.

What the fuck, so NYT scooped Mueller? That makes Mueller seem incompetent. How could this happen?

Because that's how these things work. If Mueller knew this, it would only be known to a small circle even within his team, so I believe that someone in the FBI told CNN that they didn't know this, but I'm not sure how useful that info is.

If Mueller didn't have this, I am going to guess that Mueller knew things about this meeting and probably has access to intercepted Russian conversations about this meeting, but he probably didn't have Jr's full email chain yet. I don't think he has subpoenaed those yet.

So Mueller can now snap this new puzzle piece neatly into what he was already working on. It doesn't mean he is incompetent, it means that he is approaching this thoroughly and by the book.

When did twink become synonymous with pedophilia?

You're right but people do associate your behavior with that of other dems.

I 100% disagree with this.

Who is "people"

And that's great and all but one of the (many, many) things that makes not-Republicans superior to Republicans is that facts are facts whether or not we agree with them. It'd be great if there were good Republicans out there but I've seen no sign of it. At the end of the day, if they ever want to get anywhere with the party, they have to be willing to become cruel, vicious monsters. And they do. Without fail.

Talking to them about serious issues on any serious level just makes it that much more apparent. Get the slightest bit real and they fall back on tone policing and "well I guess we should agree to disagree" because they know their positions are indefensible but they don't give a damn because, again, party of sociopaths. If they were decent people they wouldn't be Republicans.

How dare I have the gall to dare challenge the status quo of Poligaf!
No, you're the person who started a fight (actually two) and made everyone confused because you're confused. Then you dug yourself into a hole and now claim you are in the trenches and are being attacked on all sides. Maybe don't be so attached to your shovel next time if you're that fragile.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Who is "people"

Anyone unfamiliar with the memes and culture of Poligaf in this case.

No, you're the person who started a fight (actually two) and made everyone confused because you're confused. Then you dug yourself into a hole and now claim you are in the trenches and are being attacked on all sides. Maybe don't be so attached to your shovel next time if you're that fragile.

Started a fight? Lol. I don't think that looks like someone under 18 and that makes me fragile. JLawOkay.gif

pigeon

Banned
I don't like either political party so I am registered Independent. I won't vote R or D just to strengthen the party. I vote on the key issues that matter to me.

One party is pro-white supremacy, suppressing democracy and collaboration with foreign powers. The other party isn't. So it's always fun to see people say "well both parties have problems and good points and I vote on key issues." Good to know what things you don't consider key issues!

Who did they vote for in 2016?

Double-down. Never take any criticism. Should work out well in future elections for your team.

As far as I can tell, the entire purpose of you claiming you're a moderate is so that you can attempt this "your mean behavior is going to make moderates like me vote for the Nazis instead" schtick.

Unfortunately for you, part of the point of being a neoliberal shill is being able to pay people to be kindergarten teachers rather than having to act like one myself, so I'm unsympathetic to your game here.

in uh slightly more positive news, Oregon passed the Cover All Kids Act in both the House and Senate and Brown will sign it. It's a pretty big expansion that will put all kids (including undocumented immigrants) on OHP, the Oregon Medicaid system. The one caveat is that a couple of Republican state representatives are planning on running a referendum to repeal the tax increases used to pay for this (and other things), though it's worth pointing out that this bill had some Republican support in the legislature (as did the tax increases)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom