• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty terrible political game. People blame the president who's up for re-election, not the House.
If that were the case (blaming the House party over presidential) the Republicans would have lost in 2014 for stalling everything in the House. The Senate was actually quite productive that term and Boehner refused to hold a vote on any of it.

The president is always perceived as the one in charge.

This is also why Trump's "blow Obamacare up, they'll be BEGGING us to fix it!" "strategy" was a dud. The buck stops with you, asshole.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Larry Levitt‏ @larry_levitt

The ACA included $20 billion in stability funding for insurance companies.

The BCRA includes $182 billion in stability funding.

Yeah, this is normal.

The whole "It will be better to pass this than not" has nothing to do with constituents and everything to do with fundraising/financial support.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, this is normal.

The whole "It will be better to pass this than not" has nothing to do with constituents and everything to do with fundraising/financial support.

Collecting taxes to directly pay insurance companies is so much better than collecting taxes to pay for universal health care. You just have to not think about it very much.

Mizerman

If that were the case (blaming the House party over presidential) the Republicans would have lost in 2014 for stalling everything in the House. The Senate was actually quite productive that term and Boehner refused to hold a vote on any of it.

This is also why Trump's "blow Obamacare up, they'll be BEGGING us to fix it!" "strategy" was a dud. The buck stops with you, asshole.

Pretty much. Fairly or unfairly, the President is perceived to be the head honcho who can do anything with a wave of their hand. Doesn't matter if the Senate or House refuses to cooperate.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd imagine Warner, Franken, Harris etc sure wish the media wasn't announcing multiple people were at the meeting so early. Jr seems dumb enough to lie under oath about the amount of people involved in the meeting.

Kevinroc

Doesn't the Senate still need the CBO score before voting on the bill? It's not like the HHS score can substitute for CBO's, right?

That is exactly what they are going to do. And I expect this crap bill to pass just like it did in the House. And Republican tears when they realize everyone is pissed at them will amount to nothing.

The bill still has to go back to the House with the new amendments even if it passes the Senate, right? Freedom Caucus over there still has a chance to make this even worse theoretically.

That's a pretty terrible political game. People blame the president who's up for re-election, not the House.

Yeah, you guys are right.

Wake and bake prolly wasn't a good idea this morning.

But, you know.... STRESS!!! This month has been big.

RDreamer

I almost wonder if there's a strategy here. He didn't jus leave off the Russian shit. He seems to have left off nearly everything. While that's not an advisable thing to do, if you want to make excuses for leaving off Russian shit I think "Well I fucked up and left off a ton of shit because of a mistake" is at least more plausible in that scenario.

The bill still has to go back to the House with the new amendments even if it passes the Senate, right? Freedom Caucus over there still has a chance to make this even worse theoretically.
They either pass it as is, or alter it and then a conference bill would have to be hashed out and it would go back to both chambers. Obviously passing as is is an easier lift.

It seems to me the political calculus would be better spent on saying the bill was imperfect versus taking away their voter base's health insurance.

The monster they created has grown too large to be contained that easily. Co-ownership would have been a more prudent long term goal had they not opted to be dicks in 2008.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I almost wonder if there's a strategy here. He didn't jus leave off the Russian shit. He seems to have left off nearly everything. While that's not an advisable thing to do, if you want to make excuses for leaving off Russian shit I think "Well I fucked up and left off a ton of shit because of a mistake" is at least more plausible in that scenario.

Then he can't be trusted to have even basic security clearance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Media Matters said:
On the July 13 edition of Fox & Friends, Ainsley Earhardt hosted a ”panel of moms" from ”all walks of life" to find out whether ”everyday Americans" care about President Donald Trump's possible ties to Russia. As Earhardt introduced the panel, the show's on-screen banners failed to disclose the professions of the panelists who are conservative Republicans and Trump supporters, one of whom claims to work for a Fox affiliate.

The panel featured seven women who, as they spoke, were introduced via on-screen banners using the following descriptions:

Danielle McLaughlin -- mother and Democratic strategist
Dr. Rebecca Grant -- mother and national security analyst
Dr. Wendy Osefo -- liberal commentator, mother of two
Carla D'Addesi -- mother of three
Kathy Barnette -- armed forces veteran, mother of two
Angel Voggenreiter -- mother of two
Hope Houston -- mother of six

The first three women, who all had left-leaning opinions, were assigned identifiers related to their professions; Fox ensured its viewers knew McLaughlin and Osefo's political leanings. But the other four women who all professed conservative political beliefs were identified only as mothers (one was also described as an "armed forces veteran," but her current profession was omitted).

Carla D'Addesi is a conservative Christian blogger, anti-choice radio host, and "proud conservative." She's an active member of Berks Republican Women in Berks County, PA, and her Twitter feed is full of statements of support for Trump. Her Facebook page prominently features anti-LGBTQ posts and photos and videos documenting her activism against Planned Parenthood and promotion of anti-choice group Students For Life. D'Addesi recently hosted an event at her house titled ”Protecting Liberty," to which she invited anti-gay T-shirt business owner Blaine Adamson, representatives from anti-LGBTQ hate group Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), and the right-wing Pennsylvania Family Institute.

State-run media.

Ernest

Banned
Meanwhile, our actual president hasn't disclosed jack shit.

Kasich's state gets fucked over hard by medicaid cuts, so duh he's going to try to pressure. Let it be said that he seems to actually care about the number of insured persons in Ohio.

Kasich's state gets fucked over hard by medicaid cuts, so duh he's going to try to pressure. Let it be said that he seems to actually care about the number of insured persons in Ohio.
Meanwhile Sandoval is starting to waffle on it now even though it did absolutely nothing to address his concerns about Medicaid.

Let's see if he caves.

DOWN

Banned
NwAW1S0.jpg

Vimes

I'm starting to freak out about the Cruz amendment not getting a CBO score.

PSA said it best, Mitch McConnell represents everything people hate about politics.

I'm starting to freak out about the Cruz amendment not getting a CBO score.

PSA said it best, Mitch McConnell represents everything people hate about politics.

It'll get a score. But it's gonna get a vote first. That said, we just need one more Senator. Fuck McConnell.

Diablos

They're not gonna give up till something passes. This might be it.

Price scoring it is going to be absolutely awful. It's going to set an awful precedent.

Kusagari

Because she's going to vote for it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-gop-health-care-bill-alaska-20170713-story.html

A provision in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's rewritten health care bill appears to benefit only one state. That's Alaska, home of one Republican holdout McConnell badly needs to keep the legislation alive, and her state might gain nearly $2 billion in federal money.

The language would give states with extremely high premiums an added piece of two funds the measure would create that together total $182 billion through 2026. The money is supposed to help insurers curb consumers' coverage costs.

Analysts at the consulting firm Avalere Health and Cynthia Cox, who studies health insurance at the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, said Alaska seems to be the only state qualifying for the added money.

Yup, Murkowski's gone.

YAAAAS Terry, drag him! One of my favorite neoliberal shills.

How come Murkowski is being silent on this?

Moderate Darlings, a cerebral bunch, require time to contemplate legislation and consider bipartisan compromises before they vote with the rest of the party. Only impetuous, dimwitted partisans immediately deliver a pronouncement on a bill

Kusagari

So I guess it will be Collins and Paul as the no's.

Heller and Sandoval both waffling at the same time tells you all you need to know there.

Ogodei

Not getting a CBO score is just another function of nuking the filibuster. They either follow the rules or they don't, at which point the norm is gone and it's flat majority rule all the time.

Heller bailing on this is fine, if it must pass, then let it take as many vulnerable R's as it can down with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom