• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of realizing that Trump holds grudges and will campaign against him no matter what, Heller's considering robbing his constituents of their healthcare only to be campaigned against anyway.

I love our darling "moderates".

At this point, if this leads to nothing I'd love for the 2020 nominees to openly court foreign countries for help. If the GOP isn't going to care about Russian collusion then Russia is going to go all in 2020 anyway.
Of all the ideas tossed around in this thread, this is one of the worst.

The political arms race has already have made politicians do too much and go too far because "the other guy is doing it too."

But if this is seriously what it is going to come to it isn't even worth it.

tbm24

Of all the ideas tossed around in this thread, this is one of the worst.

The political arms race has already have made politicians do too much and go too far because "the other guy is doing it too."

But if this is seriously what it is going to come to it isn't even worth it.
Well sure, but at this point what am I to expect? Partisan politics to go away? It's only going to get worse if republicans go as far as to not give a shit that these emails exist and are explicit as they are. So then what? If this rabbit hole goes even further than we already know(which looks likely), what else is there to do but blow the roof off the whole thing and force something that makes all this shit illegal instead of just frowned upon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Taniel‏Verified account @Taniel

And in Senate, McConnell didn't send provision to CBO in time; so chamber may now use the analysis of Tom Price's HHS instead of the CBO's.

Again, the idea that "they didn't finish in time" is asinine. This was purposeful, and Price's analysis is going to be insanely wrong. This is a huge, huge problem.

Have any of them publicly said, "We'll wait for the CBO, not Price's score?"

Again, the idea that "they didn't finish in time" is asinine. This was purposeful, and Price's analysis is going to be insanely wrong. This is a huge, huge problem.

Have any of them publicly said, "We'll wait for the CBO, not Price's score?"

From what I'm aware of, Portman sure hasn't. I think Heller hasn't either.

Thaedolus

Kasich is the kind of Republican I think used to be more prevalent in the party: some dumb ass backwards conservative but willing to rise to the occasion when it comes to certain principles above party politics. Makes me sad he's a dying breed

Teggy

It's really bad optics, but he may not be volating a law.

The law says that you can't solicit things of value from foreign nationals. It doesn't matter what happened at the meeting. An cop undercover as a hooker doesn't actually need to consummate an agreement to bust someone for solicitation. Same thing here.

Beyond that there is a 0% that this was their only interaction with Russian foreign nationals. They were so close to getting what they wanted, why would they just quit after one meeting? They didn't check back in with the Agalarovs to say "Wtf where is our oppo?"

The Russians after getting a clear signal that Team Trump was onboard with conspiring with them didn't pursue it any further? No, there is so much more here and it's going to keep dripping out.

kirblar

I wonder if Putin's done with Trump at this point since he's been so ineffective at actually doing anything they want, making destabilization the next-best option.

I wonder if Putin's done with Trump at this point since he's been so ineffective at actually doing anything they want, making destabilization the next-best option.

He's done. The operation is being scuttled and some "rogue" faction that was trying to garner favor will be blamed for this. Trump and friends blew this. They weren't even expected to get this far

In reports this week, Akhmetshin has been identified as a former Russian counterintelligence officer. He denied ever serving in such a capacity.

“That is not correct,” Akhmetshin said. He said he served in the Soviet Army from 1986 to 1988 after he was drafted but was not trained in spy tradecraft.

Akhmetshin said he has not been contacted by the special counsel’s office or the FBI about the meeting with Trump Jr., but said he is willing to talk to investigators.

“I think I have a legal right to tell my story,” he said.

hehehe

Dierce

I think Putin's intention from the beginning was showing the world that Russia can influence western countries. It was more about pride than anything else. And I also agree, destabilization for him is the added bonus.

<put on his tinfoil heat, takes out his fanfic notebook>

What if it's the Russians?
So Trump fails to deliver on dropping their sanctions so they decide to give him a warning shot by leaking something which is actually not a presidency ending deal at the end of the day, but with a clear message, that the pee pee tape is next.

Makes you think.

NB7m9Kr.gif

Okay so yeah, you're gonna say the NYT sites White House sources, but what if they're all Russian spies in deep cover?

Makes you thonk.

BJPoQLM.gif

Will not be surprising if it ends up being true after the sanction bill is passed.

I think Putin's intention from the beginning was showing the world that Russia can influence western countries. It was more about pride than anything else. And I also agree, destabilization for him is the added bonus.

Agreed, Putin won before he even got Trump elected.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sam Stein&#8207;Verified account @samstein 10m10 minutes ago

The Russian official who attended the Don Jr. meeting was at a dinner at the GOP’s Cap Hill Club nights later

No, no, republicans, please continue telling me GOP officials didn't know about this.

Blader

Doesn't the Senate still need the CBO score before voting on the bill? It's not like the HHS score can substitute for CBO's, right?

Doesn't the Senate still need the CBO score before voting on the bill? It's not like the HHS score can substitute for CBO's, right?

At this point it's best for your own sanity if you assume that there are no rules in our government (there aren't) and everything was based on years of tradition and loose agreements that mean absolutely nothing if they don't feel like abiding by them.

They don't *need* the CBO to do anything.

At this point it's best for your own sanity if you assume that there are no rules in our government (there aren't) and everything was based on years of tradition and loose agreements that mean absolutely nothing if they don't feel like abiding by them.

They don't *need* the CBO to do anything.

This is so true. And if the parliamentarian pushes back, they can simply be fired and replaced. Old fashioned pressure will have to keep working here. And even that's a stretch because the GOP are inhuman and power hungry.

This was a McConnell advisor. I'm... I just don't understand even the POV on this?

@HolmesJosh
I have yet to speak with a single GOP campaign expert who believes there is more political peril passing this health bill than not.

Like, if they don't pass this, their base won't turn out at the midterms? But they're actively taking away healthcare from your base!

Zolo

This was a McConnell advisor. I'm... I just don't understand even the POV on this?

Like, if they don't pass this, their base won't turn out at the midterms? But they're actively taking away healthcare from your base!

The majority of these people have campaigned on repealing Obamacare.

Would you expect a McConnell advisor to say literally anything else?

The majority of these people have campaigned on repealing Obamacare.

I guess, but their base thought repealing Obamacare = lower prices, better healthcare. What happens when it doesn't? It seems to me the political calculus would be better spent on saying the bill was imperfect versus taking away their voter base's health insurance.

Many of them just think "oh well there's no way my R+2 district/state would ever throw ME out" because they've had the comfort of running on stopping Obama for the last eight years and nothing else.

Wilsongt

I guess, but their base thought repealing Obamacare = lower prices, better healthcare. What happens when it doesn't? It seems to me the political calculus would be better spent on saying the bill was imperfect versus taking away their voter base's health insurance.

Blame Obama!!

These people were elected in solely to repeal Obamacare. Nothing else.

That's the conundrum they find themselves in.

No matter what they do, they are screwed. This is why they've been baking in provisions like "It doesn't actually start until like 2019 or 2020".

There's a political game at play there. Starting it after the 2018 midterms makes it easier to say the deleterious effects of the bill are the fault of the party in control, which after 2018 will likely be the Dems in the House.

Reps only play dirty politics today. Dems need to start.

Sorry, to be clear, former. And I guess! I just don't quite understand, their bill is polling at 17%!

They were elected to find a better alternative to Obamacare. They... didn't.
You know they'll never admit to that.

What is insane is they managed to write a bill that would be worse than just doing a clean repeal.

side note: Gallup daily tracker picking up another measurable rise in approval during Trump's foreign trip, just like the last time

People literally like him better when he's not around, lol

That's the conundrum they find themselves in.

No matter what they do, they are screwed. This is why they've been baking in provisions like "It doesn't actually start until like 2019 or 2020".

There's a political game at play there. Starting it after the 2018 midterms makes it easier to say the deleterious effects of the bill are the fault of the party in control, which after 2018 will likely be the Dems in the House.

Reps only play dirty politics today. Dems need to start.

That's a pretty terrible political game. People blame the president who's up for re-election, not the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom