• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump did nothing else--and he didn't--he sure as shit blew up all the conventional wisdom about campaign organization.

Once you get the nomination, partisanship does 95% of the work.
I wonder how far down the ticket you have to go for this to still apply. People view the presidency as too important to let things like competence or sanity get in the way of them voting party line, but we've also seen recent special election results at a low enough level where the Democrats can still outhustle a Republican.

In 2012 Mourdock and Akin lost in large part due to their fucking bonkers comments on abortion. In 2010 it was O'Donnell and Angle. I wonder if 2014 is where standards stopped being a thing for Senate candidates.

Has Barbara Lee's amendment stripping Trump of war powers made it out of committee? Yesterday the transgender troops amendment failed, and today the amendment to preserve the climate-change language succeeded. I just want to know if hers will make it to the floor.

kirblar

Dems winning votes on Climate Change and Trans medical care despite GOP control is another Carter-esque moment.

Where the country is and where the GOP is are not aligned at all.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If Jeff Sessions is the last person in the meeting that I am getting drunk as fuck tonight
Everybody from the meeting has been named (unless there were more than 8).

Sorry but Sessions was probably at the tree house baking up some fudge stripe cookies.

Dems winning votes on Climate Change and Trans medical care despite GOP control is another Carter-esque moment.

It's something that I notice in some of the budget committees too. Both Dems and Repubs are pushing against Trump's Budget on a lot of things.

I would argue that the voters who watch tv are less likely to be convinced or switched by a short tv ad.

Especially when democrats need to focus on young people. Who watch more YouTube than cable tv.

Ok worthless might be a bit too far but a proper online strategy needs to be sorted going forward, because it's more prevalent amongst the voters democrats need to go after and it's a lot more cost effective
https://youtu.be/YfGsngd7cZY

Ernest

Banned
Kasie Hunt‏Verified account
@kasie

White House confirms to @albamonica that @POTUS called senators yesterday from Paris to push for "yes" votes on healthcare
I wonder if there's a GOP senator out there that would say to Trump "I'm sorry sir, but my constituents don't want this new bill and that's who I represent"

Pelosi has kept the government running for seven years.

I think this is what pisses me off the most about the Republicans. If Pelosi wasn't there every time to throw out a lifesaver during budget discussions Boehner and Ryan would have let the crazy caucus shut down the country and default on its debt a dozen times over, and then they have the fucking nerve to act like they're the adults in the room. I wish the consequences of being petty weren't so severe because if I were in Pelosi's place I'd tell them to fuck off every time. I can only imagine their sheepish grins whenever they'd ask her to whip some votes up on a budget deal after attacking her relentlessly as Satan incarnate.

There's chatter that Trump might be on tape checking in via conference call, in the Don Jr/ Russian Lawyer meeting. 2 MSM outlets have this info but are waiting on another confirmation.

Chatter from whom? Mensch and the flying Twitter monkeys?

The vote on the climate-change amendment: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll368.xml

Issa really wants to keep that seat.

McSally, too. I guess she could muster a vote for this but not for transgender troops.

~Kinggi~

Banned
There's chatter that Trump might be on tape checking in via conference call, in the Don Jr/ Russian Lawyer meeting. 2 MSM outlets have this info but are waiting on another confirmation.

That would be quite something considering the outright denials from Trump they even knew about the meeting.

The presidential commission investigating alleged election fraud has released 112 pages of unredacted emails of public comment, raising further privacy concerns amid a legal challenge to the panel's request for sensitive voter data.

In many cases, the emails, which are largely critical and often mocking of the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity led by Vice President Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, contain expletives as well as the sender's email address.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170714

Has Barbara Lee's amendment stripping Trump of war powers made it out of committee? Yesterday the transgender troops amendment failed, and today the amendment to preserve the climate-change language succeeded. I just want to know if hers will make it to the floor.

It honestly wouldn't matter. Trump would be the one to finally test the War Powers Act.

(and probably win, I am dubious as to its constitutionality)

Ogodei

I wonder how far down the ticket you have to go for this to still apply. People view the presidency as too important to let things like competence or sanity get in the way of them voting party line, but we've also seen recent special election results at a low enough level where the Democrats can still outhustle a Republican.

In 2012 Mourdock and Akin lost in large part due to their fucking bonkers comments on abortion. In 2010 it was O'Donnell and Angle. I wonder if 2014 is where standards stopped being a thing for Senate candidates.

Akin definitely lost due to abortion, but i have to wonder how much of Mourdock's loss wasn't down to salty Lugar loyalists who were mad at the tea party wing for unseating one of Indiana's favorite sons and so stayed home or voted Donnelly out of spite.

Akin definitely lost due to abortion, but i have to wonder how much of Mourdock's loss wasn't down to salty Lugar loyalists who were mad at the tea party wing for unseating one of Indiana's favorite sons and so stayed home or voted Donnelly out of spite.
Eh, Akin and McCaskill were running pretty neck and neck until the abortion comment.

With both McCaskill and Donnelly people are very quick to ascribe their wins to sheer luck, and it's true they both caught very big breaks but I think that undersells both of their political skill.

Ogodei

Eh, Akin and McCaskill were running pretty neck and neck until the abortion comment.

With both McCaskill and Donnelly people are very quick to ascribe their wins to sheer luck, and it's true they both caught very big breaks but I think that undersells both of their political skill.

Surely their skill had a role to play, otherwise it would be like Ossoff where the opposition's incompetence closed the gap but failed to seal the deal. McCaskill was an incumbent so she's in a different place, but Donnelly needs some explanation given the more extraordinary circumstances surrounding it.

Governors From Both Parties Denounce Senate Obamacare Repeal Bill

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/...e-senate-affordable-care-act-repeal.html?_r=0

TL:DR. Republican governors like Sandoval and even Walker (?!) hate the Senate Trumpcare bill. Other governors like Phil Scott also hate the bill. (Then you have Bevins, who hates it for the same reasons that Rand Paul hates it.)
Man Corker is such a whiner.

Hopefully Sandoval digs his heels in because if he's gone, Heller is too and the whole thing dies again.

Surely their skill had a role to play, otherwise it would be like Ossoff where the opposition's incompetence closed the gap but failed to seal the deal. McCaskill was an incumbent so she's in a different place, but Donnelly needs some explanation given the more extraordinary circumstances surrounding it.
Yeah, it's definitely a mix of both, but a shitty candidate wouldn't have been able to capitalize on those goofs. That's why we need to take every race seriously.

Similar to Travis Childers running in Mississippi on the off-chance that the Klansman won the primary, although given how 2014 went I'm guessing he would have lost.

Vimes

Governors From Both Parties Denounce Senate Obamacare Repeal Bill

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/...e-senate-affordable-care-act-repeal.html?_r=0

TL:DR. Republican governors like Sandoval and even Walker (?!) hate the Senate Trumpcare bill. Other governors like Phil Scott also hate the bill. (Then you have Bevins, who hates it for the same reasons that Rand Paul hates it.)

I wish McConnell would just end this fucking charade already so we can all sleep at night again.

If you can't get Satan's Lapdog Scott Walker to like this thing that really says it all.

EDIT: I see Trump tried to go Art of the Deal on Sandoval.
And in a sign of the furious efforts in Washington, Mr. Sandoval revealed that he had been lobbied personally by President Trump in a phone call. Mr. Sandoval declined to discuss the specifics of their discussion, which he said took place after his high-profile announcement last month with Mr. Heller that both would oppose an earlier version of the Senate bill.
Good job idiot, sounds like you really won him over.

That article drops the nugget that some are speculating Hickenlooper would run against Gardner in 2020.

Now there's an easy* pickup in the making.

*nothing is easy

lol at Corker.

Suddenly the Republicans on the state level don't know best when it comes to health care.
Flashback to 2015

Corker: "Why can't Obama model his education policy after successful conservative state reforms like Tennessee's community college program"

Obama: "I have decided to model my new community college program after Tennessee's"

Corker: "HDJEKSKELKGF I OBJECT"

Jay Sekulow seems to know nothing but is also being very careful not to deny that Trump knew of the collusion emails or anything. I'm pretty sure Trump knew and that perhaps some info was exchanged. Next weeks hearing will be lit even if its just a bunch of I don't remember or pleading the 5th.

Isn't Hickenlooper like a hundred years old? I'd rather we get some younger senators so that we have something resembling a bench without a median age of 75 in the future.

Effect

Would not be surprised. In fact since one of the descriptions was that Manfort was on his phone "not paying attention" the first thought that came to mind was that Trump likely was on the phone listening and talking. With word of new people in that meeting today it's a thought that has gotten stronger and no one knows where Trump was at the time of the meeting but he was in the area.

Isn't Hickenlooper like a hundred years old? I'd rather we get some younger senators so that we have something resembling a bench without a median age of 75 in the future.
He'd be 68 by then. That's a little older than I always pegged him mentally.

Perlmutter would be fine too. I get wanting a younger bench but we should want someone with stature too.

Would Ted Strickland be interested in moving?

Maengun1

Pelosi has kept the government running for seven years.

I think this is what pisses me off the most about the Republicans. If Pelosi wasn't there every time to throw out a lifesaver during budget discussions Boehner and Ryan would have let the crazy caucus shut down the country and default on its debt a dozen times over, and then they have the fucking nerve to act like they're the adults in the room. I wish the consequences of being petty weren't so severe because if I were in Pelosi's place I'd tell them to fuck off every time. I can only imagine their sheepish grins whenever they'd ask her to whip some votes up on a budget deal after attacking her relentlessly as Satan incarnate.

YEP. There is no word for how insanely hypocritical they are or how angry it makes me.

I don't know many republicans IRL anymore, but the few I do still talk to .....they aren't the (overt) crazy racist ones, they're the ones who will STILL look me in the eye and say they're The Party Of Responsibility saving the country from the chaos of Democrats. It makes my face cave in on itself.

teiresias

I'm not sure nearly everyone in that meeting wasn't just drawn to it by some mysterious force or music.

YQz90MF.jpg

YEP. There is no word for how insanely hypocritical they are or how angry it makes me.

I don't know many republicans IRL anymore, but the few I do still talk to .....they aren't the (overt) crazy racist ones, they're the ones who will STILL look me in the eye and say they're The Party Of Responsibility saving the country from the chaos of Democrats. It makes my face cave in on itself.
I get that this will always happen to some degree - I would laud Dean Heller for killing Trumpcare even if I'd never vote for him, not that I live in Nevada anyway. But the way the GOP goes about it is utterly shameless, especially since Democrats can actually govern. Pelosi would never grovel for GOP votes on a budget whereas Ryan can barely keep the lights on.

Then again Democrats didn't run on burning this motherfucker down so we don't bear the burden of living up to those expectations. Go us.

Wilsongt

(CNN) Michael Caputo, a former top adviser to Donald Trump's campaign with strong ties to Russia, firmly denied having knowledge of any alleged contacts between the campaign and Russia after testifying privately to the House intelligence committee Friday.

"I spent my time in front of the committee detailing the fact that I had no contact with Russians, that I never heard of anyone with the Trump campaign talking with Russians, that I was never asked questions about my time in Russia, that I never even spoke to anyone about Russia, that I never heard the word 'Russia,' and we did not use Russian dressing," Caputo told reporters in a press conference after the closed-door testimony. "There was absolutely no discussion of Russia on the Trump campaign 'til the day I left."

Caputo resigned from the campaign on June 20, 2016 after celebrating the dismissal of then-campaign manager Corey Lewandowski with a tweet that said, "Ding Dong the witch is dead." Paul Manafort, who brought Caputo onto the campaign in November 2015, replaced Lewandowski as chairman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...hael-caputo-russia-house-testimony/index.html

Please proceed IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom