• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they needed a CBO score due to Senate Rules, did Turtle boy nix those?

They need a budget score, doesn't have to be CBO. Price's office has their own (bullshit) score that the Senate could use to satisfy the parliamentarian, who has shown no real interest in stopping them.

Interesting. I'm curious--why is there a deadline? Can't they just continue to push this thing after the next recess if they wish?

In addition to the CBO score releasing (which if that scoring is as bad as the previous attempts, it could sink the bill if the public is given enough time to digest), they have the debt ceiling and FY 2018 budget to pass before September and the August recess is still around the corner even with the push back.

Once the FY 2018 budget passes, reconciliation for 2017 is done. The clock ends on that 50 vote threshold. They would have to pass another concurrent resolution for 2018 to restart the clock.

I'm so glad my senators are like actually pretty great and 99% of the time on my side.

Fuck Erik Paulsen with a rusty spork though.

I dunno, man. Senators can be deceiving. I actually met Al Franken in a grocery store while he was in Glendale last week (my brother lives in LA). I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be an annoyance and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you’re doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I dunno, man. Senators can be deceiving. I actually met Al Franken in a grocery store while he was in Glendale last week (my brother lives in LA). I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be an annoyance and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you’re doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
You can't fool me, Franken loves the selfies

10404371_10205227407743498_2714746950691315180_n.jpg

Question I have is that are they going to keep the recess delay or go back to the original schedule.

Also, I bet Trump is going to push for a vote( which will likely fail).

maybe all sorts of shit can pile up on the healthcare bill this week including a cbo score. hope there aren't any Russia leaks this week so the bill can really have some final nails driven into it's coffin.

FyreWulff

See the politically smart thing for the Republicans to do would have been to do a single attempt to repeal Obamacare back then, then go "oh well it's the law of the land" and move on

nope, they basically just kept spamming it and never let the voters or press move on, and they only played themselves into a corner about having to do it before anything else once they got into power. Eight fucking years. Nobody would talk about it anymore. Like who even actively talks about Cash for Clunkers anymore? Everyone moved on. Political memory is short if you let it be.

see: confederate flag pics
not a popular opinion here but as I've noted before, McConnell organized civil rights marches while he went to college in Louisville and got into politics because of the civil rights movement. was also appalled at the attitude toward black people back in birmingham. was the only republican who approved loretta lynch, etc.

EDIT all opinions above lifted entirely from a single NY Times article on him

not a popular opinion here but as I've noted before, McConnell organized civil rights marches while he went to college in Louisville and got into politics because of the civil rights movement. was also appalled at the attitude toward black people back in birmingham. was the only republican who approved loretta lynch, etc.

EDIT all opinions above lifted entirely from a single NY Times article on him
Huh?

Lynch got 10 Republican votes, including McConnell's.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So I'm assuming you all already talked about Kellyane Conway trying to give Trump credit for letting that Afghani Girl's robot team enter America, right?
Gross, no...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...afghan-robotics-team-to-u-s-critics-disagree/

And it sounds like Ivanka is going to rush in and get photo ops with them?

Super gross. The Trump administration doesn't get to foment mass hatred of Muslims and institutional discrimination and then pretend to be heroes when they let a few kids briefly enter the country.

A higher number of seniors (66%) think Russia tried to influence the election than young adults (55%).

Millennials don't want to admit they got played too. Russia had no problem propping up Stein and stirring up shit in the primary.

jtb

Banned
A higher number of seniors (66%) think Russia tried to influence the election than young adults (55%).

Millennials don't want to admit they got played too. Russia had no problem propping up Stein and stirring up shit in the primary.

This is what disturbs me. The first reaction people have after discovering they've been conned is to dig their heels in and defend the con man.

We've got a country of politically illiterate easy marks.

how come everytime i hear that Trump's approval has hit a new low it seems to be the same number as last time.
i want his ass in the 20's goddamnit

jtb

Banned
how come everytime i hear that Trump's approval has hit a new low it seems to be the same number as last time.
i want his ass in the 20's goddamnit

Turns out Hillary was dead accurate with her basket of deplorables number. Probably 25-30% of the country are just straight up Nazis.

Slizeezyc

This is what disturbs me. The first reaction people have after discovering they've been conned is to dig their heels in and defend the con man.

Is it them defending Trump or just defending BUT HER EMAILS and more just not wanting to admit it was anything but the other candidate's fault?

Considering how low Trump's favorability is with younger people is the only reason I put this forward at all. Plus, seniors probably by default are going to have a more negative opinion of Russia than millennials due to the Cold War.

I actually see these numbers positively. A lower percentage of millennials believe the collusion happened, but most of them will be voting Democratic, anyway. Their comparative disbelief changes little electorally, especially since they vote less frequently.

Seniors, conversely, vote A LOT. If two-thirds of them believe that Russia interfered, they may be more likely to vote against Trump. He has a fairly low approval rating with them, too.

I also feel encouraged by the 66% who trust Trump LESS to negotiate with Putin. If he eases sanctions or returns those compounds, he'll feel pushback.

Let's just be grateful that 3/5 of the country believes in the Russian interference. We - and the IC - can work with those numbers, even if some of those people haven't blamed Trump and co. personally yet. They can be swayed.

So this is the our biggest problem and will most definitely be the reason we don't perform in 2018 and/or lose in 2020
On the first of these, only 37 percent of Americans say the Democratic Party ”stands for something," while 52 percent say it just stands against Trump. The perceived lack of an affirmative agenda weakens the Democrats' efforts to capitalize on Trump's failings.
A quarter of Democrats (27 percent) say their own party ”just stands against Trump"; so do 55 percent of independents, soaring to 82 percent of Republicans. Men are 15 points more likely than women to hold this opinion, and 58 percent of whites see the Democrats as simply anti-Trump, compared with 31 percent of blacks, long among the most loyal Democratic groups.
needs to be fixed asap

also men are just the worst

But in a midterm election, "We're not the president" and "Let us be the checks and balances" can work as a strategy.

I agree that we need to change that perception before 2020, though.

Notice also they only asked about perceptions of the Democratic Party, not how likely the respondents would be to vote for it next year. Again, "against Trump" might suffice for a midterm year.

jtb

Banned
Donald Trump is not a popular president. The problem of being seen as solely "not Donald Trump" is not the problem so many ~both sidez~ pundits wish it was.

UberTag

Don't know what's so difficult with people re-evaluating their decisions and taking stock... either due to new information coming along or after stepping outside their ignorance bubble.

Why can't people just assume that most of humanity is stupid and often wrong?
Hell, I'm stupid about a ton of stuff. I can admit it. Making mistakes is fine.
Leave the blind stubborn loyalty for your sports teams. Don't take it with you everywhere else for crying out loud.

So this is the our biggest problem and will most definitely be the reason we don't perform in 2018 and/or lose in 2020

needs to be fixed asap

also men are just the worst
I think that's what the Schumer/Pelosi agenda is meant to address.

With Pelosi's 100 hours plan it seemed like a grab bag of low-hanging fruit they thought Bush would sign. A meager raise to the minimum wage, ending some unpopular tax breaks, PAYGO and lobbyist bans etc. The most controversial element was probably reversing the stem cell research funding ban and even then they just thought they might be able to overturn a veto. But for the most part it was about scoring some easy political points. Think of the lame duck agenda passed in 2010 - DADT repeal, DREAM Act, nuclear arms treaty with Russia, all of which were very popular but were just mired up in political bs. (DREAM didn't even pass but that aside)

While we haven't seen what the full agenda is, we know there'll be a $15 minimum wage bill, probably a trillion dollar infrastructure package and something about trade? I know Pelosi said she wants to repair the VRA as well and I suspect there will be a concrete Medicare-for-All proposal the leadership will sign off on before the midterms. I almost wonder if they're trying to put together a legislative agenda now tailor-made for the next Democratic president to sign in their first 100 days, stuff they know Trump won't sign. The trade deal is the most vague and possibly the most likely thing he'd sign, but maybe he'll be too mad about the impeachment charges, idk.

Point is Trump hasn't gotten shit done and that's hurt his already dismal approval ratings badly. Obama got a fair deal done during his first 100 days but aside from the stimulus it was stuff that was harder to convey to the average Joe or Democrats just failed at marketing effectively (the credit card bill should have been trumpeted from on high and nary a peep about it was ever heard). I think Pelosi and crew saw where the party came up short during their last big opportunity and this time, they're ready.

Of course, first we need to win.

FyreWulff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom