• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess NY Times were not able to find out who the 8th person is.
meet-the-pr-firm-that-helped-vladimir-putin-troll-the-entire-country.jpg

So on the one hand this delay because of McCain's illness, while bad for McCain and his health, might be positive for the chances of killing the bill, because it slows the momentum towards it puts off the vote and gives more time to pressure Republican Senators to vote against it. If they voted soon it was looking like maybe McConnell would win and get Obamacare repealed, because as that one article said none of the remaining 50 Republicans want to be "the bad guy" who takes down their we-hate-Obamacare crusade after so long.

But the question is, will, during this delay, some of them finally give up on the bill because of how terrible it will be, either because of pressure from governors back home, the health care industry, thinking of people on their state who will lose health care and die, etc, and come out opposed, or will it just delay the ultimate passage of this bill for a week, because what Republican actually cares about any of those things compared to a chance to pass something which will help the rich?

All year I've been thinking that there is a very good chance that the Republicans fail to pass anything and Obamacare survives, but this will definitely be the most important test of that. It could go either way.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah, the whataboutism continues.

I have to wonder what tactics Russia uses to give Trump his talking points. There may be an actively firing machine gun hidden behind the burning curtain.

Uh, has no one told him yet that Jr tweeted out the emails of his own free will? And, hey, if any of the people involved in these stories dislike the version being discussed by the media they're free to go on the record to Congress and tell their side!

FyreWulff

to turn it back around on him, getting the questions early wasn't illegal. it wasn't ethical, but it was legal. Debates aren't a legal construct, lol. (Also, you won the election dude)

to turn it back around on him, getting the questions early wasn't illegal. it wasn't ethical, but it was legal. Debates aren't a legal construct, lol. (Also, you won the election dude)
He's referring back to a DNC primary debate, actually! What was shared? In a debate in Michigan, Hillary received the priceless, world-breaking tip that there'd be a question about Flint. Never mind the ins Trump had with FOX for their primary debates.

Zolo

Trump still at about 36% approval. That tends to line up with the percent that tend to ignore facts and education. I wouldn't expect for that to get lower until something happens that directly affects that population (like the Iraq War for Bush and healthcare for Obama).

Trump still at about 36% approval. That tends to line up with the percent that tend to ignore facts and education. I wouldn't expect for that to get lower until something happens that directly affects that population (like the Iraq War for Bush and healthcare for Obama).

Obama never was this low and even Bush could never break below 20%. It's impressive actually because you see governors like Christie at sub 20 more often than presidents. People seem much more reluctant to turn their back on the president than their governor. I wonder why that is.

Zolo

Obama never was this low and even Bush could never break below 20%. It's impressive actually because you see governors like Christie at sub 20 more often than presidents. People seem much more reluctant to turn their back on the president than their governor. I wonder why that is.

Obama hit around 40% approval at certain points, but yes. He never hit this low. It is possible it could hit lower without direct impacts if people see he's not really doing the main things people want him to do. I think it'll be more difficult with Trump than with Bush though since I figure current Republican constituents are more entrenched if only to be against Democrats now. I could hardly see another president getting Bush's 90% approval for example in the current climate.

A governor has a faster and more tangible effect on his or her constituents than the President. People know and care about what their state is or is not paying for, etc.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

kess

WSJ:
”The White House on Monday will embark on a three-week messaging campaign aimed at refocusing attention on President Donald Trump's agenda and framing a debate later this summer over rewriting the U.S. tax code." .

”The ‘Made In America' campaign, which starts with the president highlighting locally made products from around the country, is the latest attempt by Mr. Trump's communications team to control a narrative that has consistently spun out of their grasp during the six months since the inauguration."

Millennials don't want to admit they got played too. Russia had no problem propping up Stein and stirring up shit in the primary.
The semi official line from Sanders wing is 'its time to move on from Russia'. Its because none of them believed during the time that Russia was involved, and I remember Hillary being mocked for bringing it up during debates.

Ernest

Banned
I actually don't necessarily have a problem with this - but he and his administration are so dumb and ineffectual, than he's not gonna be able to actually do a goddamn thing. He'll SAY he made some great deals, or whatever the fuck, but in reality, it'll be a bunch of talk and bullshit without anything that actually benefits anyone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

"After we infuriated nearly everyone (including a large portion of our base) with our huge transfer of wealth to the rich disguised as a health care plan, we are now going to move on to work on a huge transfer of wealth to the rich through tax reform."

Good luck with that.

Mikef2000

Gotta love that the Trump teams answers to all these problems is to NOT work and instead go out campaigning.

One of my very few consolations regarding Trump getting elected is just how miserable he is being president. He hates everything about the actually doing the job. That's why he keeps holding those rallies and why he spends nearly half his time golfing or doing events. The asshole is just miserable and he spreads his misery to everyone around him.

Every time they try this they're immediately yanked off message by some new scandals, be it Russia or some other Trumpian disaster. This would be an impossible task for a competent administration with real messaging discipline, which this is not.

I really don't know why they bother at this point.

Every time they try this they're immediately yanked off message by some new scandals, be it Russia or some other Trumpian disaster. This would be an impossible task for a competent administration with real messaging discipline, which this is not.

I really don't know why they bother at this point.
Because Fox News leads with that. Whatever bigly reform week is, Fox pretends that everyone is talking about it and they bring experts and panels to discuss it for hours. But on every other channel, there's wall to wall coverage of yet another scandal. This is why 36% still approve of Trump.

I actually don't necessarily have a problem with this - but he and his administration are so dumb and ineffectual, than he's not gonna be able to actually do a goddamn thing. He'll SAY he made some great deals, or whatever the fuck, but in reality, it'll be a bunch of talk and bullshit without anything that actually benefits anyone.

They won't even be able to say it. The last month or two was supposed to have a targeted message for each week, like "energy week", etc. They always make these announcements and they have no discipline to stay on it.

More Medicaid hurdles that could sink the bill.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342122-new-medicaid-worry-emerges-for-centrists

Some states would likely end their Medicaid expansions earlier than 2024 if the Senate’s healthcare bill becomes law, according to several sources.

That dynamic could deepen concerns among several senators who are undecided about the healthcare bill because of its changes to Medicaid, the federal healthcare program for the poor and disabled.

In 2021, the 31 expansion states and Washington D.C. would, as a whole, be on the hook for a total of $6.6 billion in additional Medicaid funding. That figure would increase to nearly $43 billion more in total state spending, according to an analysis from the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP).

States would be faced with a tough decision on how to make up for the lost federal money. They’d have several choices, but dropping the expansion would be the most straightforward solution.

“We think that puts Alaska's expansion at risk in 2020 because our state legal authority to maintain those services would be in question,” Valerie Davidson, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services commissioner, said, adding she believes the expansion would end in 2020.

The possible policy change is paramount for Davidson, as the state saw nearly 34,000 adults covered due to the Medicaid expansion. She’s been in “constant communication” with her two state’s senators — Murkowski and Dan Sullivan.

During the week before July 4th recess, Davidson was in Washington, D.C., where her team essentially “camped out in [Murkowski’s] office, except that she was very welcoming.”

The issue has been on Murkowski’s radar screen, the senator said, and that “we would basically kick it back to our legislature who could vote to discontinue the expansion so we would not be part of that glide path that many of us have been trying to put in place.”

“It's yet one more thing in the bucket of things that makes Alaska somewhat distinguishable,” Murkowski said.

Even if Alaska opted to find a way to keep the expansion, Davidson said it isn’t realistic due to the state’s budget deficit.

“Our state right now is looking to cut programs and cut our general fund, not add to it,” Davidson said, “and so I think for anybody to make the assumption that, well, the state will just take on more of that responsibility is not very realistic.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom