• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived through Reagan and he was at least internationally considered to be a terrifying destructive idiot and criminal. The fear of nuclear war spiked because of his behaviors and cabinet activities. The Cold War ended because of the combination of the Russian economic situation and the sheer luck of Gorbachev somehow winnowing through the kremlin old guard.

Reagan aggression certainly lubricated the whole thing but it was unplanned brinksmanship that sort of worked out but could just as easily have triggered disaster.

After he left office, plainly with significant mental and geriatric issues, his legacy was recreated from scratch with campaigning that has probably cost at least tens of millions of dollars. HW was the last republican with a halfway decent objective international reputation.

Yeah, people forget just how much Reagan sucked. He was, in a sense, the original Trump, except America was so economically strong in the 1980s that he couldn't sink its hegemony the way Trump appears poised to.

If anything, Reagan prolonged the Cold War by emboldening Soviet hard-liners to restart the arms race and antagonism, and Reagan only "won the Cold War" in that the USSR didn't have the billions to spend on a failed program of missile-shooting space lasers.

Wilsongt

Yeah, people forget just how much Reagan sucked. He was, in a sense, the original Trump, except America was so economically strong in the 1980s that he couldn't sink its hegemony the way Trump appears poised to.

I guess because Bush 1 was an unsuccessful 1 term Republican, the GOP had to find someone to canonize and Reagan was their only option.

I guess because Bush 1 was an unsuccessful 1 term Republican, the GOP had to find someone to canonize and Reagan was their only option.

Yep. The hagiographers needed a more recent saint, and if they excluded Reagan, they had to go all the way back to Eisenhower because Half-Term Icon Ford and Tricky Dick just wouldn't have cut it. They chose Reagan.

It's partially this, partially that Reagan was THE Preident for a large swath of white Baby Boomers in their 20s and 30s when he was president, my own parents included. He oversaw what was a fairly prosperous time for much of white America, had a lot of witty one-liners, and did "common sense" things (like the stupid move of firing the air traffic controllers), all while overseeing the period in which most of the Soviet political and economic collapse happened, making it look like he "beat" a decades-old enemy. This combined with the fact that he was the flowering of Nixon's plan to knit conservatism to ingroup/out-group psychological heuristics via the Southern Strategy, as well as arguably the first president since Eisenhower to be so openly religious in his inclinations and policy-making, has basically made him a demigod, all because he was in the right place at the right time and used charisma he honed in his years on the silver screen to craft the image of being the embodiment of Churchill's "wise old man conservative".

It's partially this, partially that Reagan was THE Preident for a large swath of white Baby Boomers in their 20s and 30s when he was president, my own parents included. He oversaw what was a fairly prosperous time for much of white America, had a lot of witty one-liners, and did "common sense" things (like the stupid move of firing the air traffic controllers), all while overseeing the period in which most of the Soviet political and economic collapse happened, making it look like he "beat" a decades-old enemy. This combined with the fact that he was the flowering of Nixon's plan to knit conservatism to ingroup/out-group psychological heuristics via the Southern Strategy, as well as arguably the first president since Eisenhower to be so openly religious in his inclinations and policy-making, has basically made him a demigod, all because he was in the right place at the right time and used charisma he honed in his years on the silver screen to craft the image of being the embodiment of Churchill's "wise old man conservative".

There you go again.

Kusagari

I don't get why Sandoval, of all people, is waffling. He is royalty in NV right now. He can do whatever the hell he wants, in an increasingly blue state, without needing the national GOP at all.

Ogodei

I don't get why Sandoval, of all people, is waffling. He is royalty in NV right now. He can do whatever the hell he wants, in an increasingly blue state, without needing the national GOP at all.

Because there are no good republicans and Sandoval is term-limited out.

Kasich's only playing the good guy because he's still positioning himself for if/when Trump crashes and burns before 2020 to possibly primary him, or run in lieu of Pence.

What I'm thinking is that Kush, Jr, et al know who the 8th person is, and that person might be problematic for Trump team. It's probably what lead to Gorelick leaving because she knows there is no way out for Kush. Right now NYT is waiting to see if Trump team gets out the story before the bombshell drops.

I have difficulty envisioning how a Kasich primary challenge would unfold. Trump would have to be weak not only among the general public but also among Republicans, and even then the victory might be pyrrhic because Trump's cult might stay home. Down ballot races would suffer, too.

Maybe if the entire party apparatus threw its weight behind him and they got Fox News on board. Otherwise, I just can't see it.

Kevinroc

So if Dems get a majority in the Senate again, we can undo this healthcare garbage with just 50 votes right?

Are you asking if Dems get a majority in the House and Senate but the Republicans still control the White House? Or are you asking if Dems also take the White House in 2020?

Because there are no good republicans and Sandoval is term-limited out.

Kasich's only playing the good guy because he's still positioning himself for if/when Trump crashes and burns before 2020 to possibly primary him, or run in lieu of Pence.

How Kasich is the only Republican looking towards a Post-Trump GOP confounds me.

Ogodei

How Kasich is the only Republican looking towards a Post-Trump GOP confounds me.

Trump *is* the base now, like Autodidact said, and there are enough alternatives to Fox that you can't just turn Fox around to pull the state-run media thing. The MAGA crowd's gonna be a group that GOP has to cater to for a generation, even if it kills the party's national prospects.

As I said in another thread, what's truly astonishing is that I'd wager we have barely overcome the surface tension of the ocean of bullshit that is Trumpworld, let alone begun to plumb its depths.

Just how low can we go? Is there even a bottom?

As I said in another thread, what's truly astonishing is that I'd wager we have barely overcome the surface tension of the ocean of bullshit that is Trumpworld, let alone begun to plumb its depths.

Just how low can we go? Is there even a bottom?

People forgot when Trump was accused of raping an underage girl years ago. Do we really think he wouldn't?

It's almost like Trump is using his campaign like his "charity."

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Crocodile

Fuck. This senate health care bill is gonna pass, isn't it?

The bill is being FAST-TRACKED.
The House intends to rubber stamp the Senate bill and send it straight to Trump's desk, where it will be signed into law.

CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW. DON'T DELAY!

This doesn't say the Senate Bill is going to pass, only that if it passes, the House probably will take it as is. Didn't we already know/expect this? Nothing has changed in the past few days.

Still, people should be calling their Senators because the "moderate" GOP is a bunch of gutless cowards and need every push to say no.

Kevinroc

Harris and Feinstein have been fighting this bill since day 1. It's still ridiculous that the most populated state in the union is so electorally weak in the Senate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...040e4b03389bb17c458?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

We need to keep talking about the fact that this junk bill's "cheaper insurance" doesn't even qualify for insurance if someone were to really need it. They'd have to wait the 60+ days if they were to really need it.
Yeah, it's total garbage with the added benefit of probably completely collapsing the individual market. Freedom! (And the waiting period is 6 months if you go without qualifying coverage for 63 days).

Kevinroc

Yeah, it's total garbage with the added benefit of probably completely collapsing the individual market. Freedom! (And the waiting period is 6 months if you go without qualifying coverage for 63 days).

Blargh... That's right...

(Trumpcare is seriously going to kill people.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Can they still charge you 9x in addition to the waiting period on lapsed coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom