• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Russia conquers Poland, it's really hard to see an easy way to get it back given the nukes. So again, if the Russians decide Poland belongs to them, and Putin acts on that and seizes the country, your response is?

Don't ever be in that situation. Invest incredibly heavily in Poland's border defence now, encourage Europe to develop their military power, station rotating troops on the Polish border at all times, make it clear that invasion of Poland is such a significant cost it could never possibly be worth it. Putin shouldn't be just seizing Poland; that should be an impossibility right from the outset. Make your policy proactive, not reactive.

If Russia conquers Poland, it's really hard to see an easy way to get it back given the nukes. So again, if the Russians decide Poland belongs to them, and Putin acts on that and seizes the country, your response is?
Russia won't conquer Poland though, because Poland is a NATO member which has been explicitly strengthening it's defense.

I do not care about the quality of life of the average Russian. I understand they are under a shitty oligarchal society. I also understand that nothing that we can do can actually help them escape this. They are currently committing genocide in Chechnya and we can do nothing to to help those gay men.

Russia has attacked the USA, the UK, Germany, France, and countless other nations. This cannot go without a response. I do not believe economic sanctions should be off the table for "humanitarian" reasons. A recession is not a world-ending event. There is still food, water and shelter there. I also do not know what the best course of action re: specific sanctions is, because it is not my field of expertise. But "nothing" is not the response we should be taking here.
Given your comments here, I hope you also endorse Yemeni suicide bombers attacking American civilians as retaliation for the absolutely brutal campaign we've been waging there.

General sanctions create a rally around the flag effect but often don't work because it's hard to completely isolate an economy (the economic incentive to cheat for cheap goods becomes too great).

I remember reading a pretty convincing argument that the sanctions against South Africa did fuck and all to hasten the ending of Apartheid. The white South Africans basically had to figure out that Apartheid was bad on their own, though being a global pariah probably helped get the message through.

Targeted sanctions against a kleptocracy like Russia are exactly what's needed: Russian oligarchs don't want to store their wealth in Russia because of how shitty they've made Russia in order to loot the country, so stopping them from storing their wealth elsewhere is hurting exactly the kind of people who can stand the pain the most, and are also in the best position to change things.

May not work ever case, but sanctions got Iran on the table and contained North Korea. What matters is if you get many other countries to support that. Its what work in the cases I mentioned.

The sanctions that targeted Russia was to pressure the elite. The sanctions targeted them and their businesses . It can be argued that it worked to prevent Russia from doing anymore land grabs, encroaching on Ukrainian territory in the same severity as before, and brought them to the Minsk Agreement.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you truly "just don't know," maybe you should refrain from discussing the subject.

No, this is dumb. It's perfectly possible to not know which policy is the right one, but to also know which policies are definitely incorrect.

kirblar

I don't know - bc how can we know, we don't know what the real threat is. But I do know that we're NOT at war w Russia and our response should be measured, not escalate and be a deterrent, not simply retribution.
Russia invades Ukraine. Runs propaganda campaigns in many, many western elections. Installs a puppet in the WH.

And you "don't know who the real threat is? But you do know we're "not at war with them" even though Russia's attacking western democracies across the world?

Crab, there is no apology needed because none is deserved.

PBY

Banned
If you truly "just don't know," maybe you should refrain from discussing the subject.
?

I think "hey let's take a measured approach"

Is far more sane than people here, who know equally little, arguing for crippling economic sanctions at a minimum.

I keep going back to what Obama did - and it can be a mistake in hindsight, but those weren't the actions of a man leading a country at war.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Russia invades Ukraine. Runs propaganda campaigns in many, many western elections. Installs a puppet in the WH?.

And you "don't know who the real threat is? But you do know we're "not at war with them" even though Russia's attacking western democracies across the world?

Crab, there is no apology needed because none is deserved.

You lied. You said PBY said nothing ought to be done. There is a post where PBY explicitly says something ought to be done. That is outright lying. I can't really say any more without backseat modding, but suffice to say I think an edit and a retraction is the very least that is due.

?

I think "hey let's take a measured approach"

Is far more sane than people here, who know equally little, arguing for crippling economic sanctions at a minimum

When did "sane" come to mean "vague, wishy washy, and producing no actionable plan in response to threats to our electoral sovereignty"? Merriam Webster moves so quickly in this digital age.

Good thing Obama didn't respond when it came to light that Russia had fucked around with our elections. Oh wait...

Weird that you guys are saying "nah, don't hit them back" in favor of a Cold War style arms buildup.

PBY

Banned
When did "sane" come to mean "vague, wishy washy, and producing no actionable plan in response to threats to our electoral sovereignty"? Merriam Webster moves so quickly in this digital age.
You're right tho - I don't claim to know the best path forward.

I do know that action just as retribution will be a disaster. It needs to be targeted to fix the issues at hand. I just worry that Trump and Putins malfeasance has clouded Dems views on Russia to some degree.

Accordingly - I'm always going to be wary of any action that has the potential to escalate tensions.

No, I'm giving up on Crimea because there is no reasonable prospect of getting it back, which is wildly different to doing it because Russia thinks it belong to them. If you can't understand the difference between these two positions, there's absolutely no point in conversation with you because this is some basic-level shit. If you can understand the difference between these two positions, there's absolutely no point in conversation with you because you're being deliberately disingenuous. Either way...

The countries that sanction Russia because of Crimea, likely already know that.

Don't ever be in that situation. Invest incredibly heavily in Poland's border defence now, encourage Europe to develop their military power, station rotating troops on the Polish border at all times, make it clear that invasion of Poland is such a significant cost it could never possibly be worth it. Putin shouldn't be just seizing Poland; that should be an impossibility right from the outset. Make your policy proactive, not reactive.

Russia won't conquer Poland though, because Poland is a NATO member which has been explicitly strengthening it's defense.

Pretty sure Valhelm (who started this conversation) is opposed to NATO buildup, as are many of the people I'm talking about! Also, how does this deterrent actually work given than we've done little to deter such actions?

Another lie. This thread can be utterly shameless sometimes.

Then why do you keep swimming across the figurative Atlantic to come in here and subject yourself to our shamelessness? Are we the intellectually bankrupt savages whom you've resolved to enlighten?

adg1034

Well, this is great news:

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) learned from [Talking Points Memo] last week that Senate Majority Mitch McConnell (R-KY) was telling moderate Republican senators in closed-door meetings that a future Congress and president will not let the bill’s harshest cuts to Medicaid go into effect.

On Monday, Johnson told reporters he went to the moderate senators in question and confirmed that report, causing him to withdraw his previous support for advancing the bill.

“I was strongly in favor of the motion to proceed before I read the comments by Senator McConnell,” he said. “The ‘don’t worry about it, it’s too far in the future, it’ll never happen.’ I’ve confirmed those comments with the senators they were made to, learned they were largely accurate, and I find those comments very troubling. It really does put in jeopardy the motion to proceed.”

It's not him officially saying he'll vote against it, but it's damn close.

Not what I would have wanted- someone going against the bill because it goes too far, not because it doesn't go far enough in limiting Americans' health care- but anything that gets the Senate to 3 R votes against is fantastic in my book.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Then why do you keep swimming across the figurative Atlantic to come in here and subject yourself to our shamelessness? Are we the intellectually bankrupt savages whom you've resolved to enlighten?

I mean, when you put it like that...

Can't do Sanctions because those are pointless;

Sanctions don't work in the long-term because they don't induce stagnation (unless you keep applying new ones), they induce a single hit. After the initial recession, the economy affected reorients towards different markets (e.g., like how Russia's economy redoubled after the 2014 sanctions by pivoting towards Asian markets) and you're back to square one.

If you think there's nuance there and there's some way that Russia's economy could be damaged to the point it reduces their state power without damaging the quality of life of the average Russian, please tell me, I'm all ears. I was hoping kirblar would have the answer, as he seemed so confident in it, but I can't hear much but the sound of backtracking.

I guess we could bulk up the Polish border, which I'm sure will do a lot to stop Russian Espionage;

This is actually hugely disingenuous when I've spent repeated posts explicitly talking about bulking up the Polish border, but fine, continue this gross piece of intellectual masturbation.

PBY doesn't trust the military so we can't look towards militaristic solutions;

I don't trust our military to get it right, especially in light of this weird hawkish wave popping up on the left.

PBY doesn't know what the real threat is despite it being pretty laid out at this point;

I don't know - bc how can we know, we don't know what the real threat is. But I do know that we're NOT at war w Russia and our response should be measured, not escalate and be a deterrent, not simply retribution.

It's perfectly plausible to not know which policy to go with, unless it's one Crab disagrees with;

No, this is dumb. It's perfectly possible to not know which policy is the right one, but to also know which policies are definitely incorrect.

kirblar

You lied. You said PBY said nothing ought to be done. There is a post where PBY explicitly says something ought to be done. That is outright lying. I can't really say any more without backseat modding, but suffice to say I think an edit and a retraction is the very least that is due.
If "the enemy is unknowable", then the logical conclusion is that nothing should be done.

If someone argues that a fact is unknowable, despite widespread expert agreement to its existence,they are starting with a conclusion and warping their arguments to justify it.

This is true here, just as it's true for conservative politicians who claim "we don't know what'll happen" when they implement Kansas-level tax cuts or Austerity.

Not what I would have wanted- someone going against the bill because it goes too far, not because it doesn't go far enough in limiting Americans' health care- but anything that gets the Senate to 3 R votes against is fantastic in my book.

That's damming as hell though. Mitch ain't got shit on Nancy whipping up support.

Maybe it was more comfortable when people could call hysteria due to the the lack of evidence of Russian interference, instead of now becoming argumentative over the nature/definition of consequences.

Can't do Sanctions because those are pointless;

I guess we could bulk up the Polish border, which I'm sure will do a lot to stop Russian Espionage

Wouldn't that play into what the Russians have been saying about NATO buildup? Anyway, we have been doing that for the last few years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My point about the Russian border was explicitly responding to Antrax's question about what to do in the event of Polish invasion. It's quite easy for me to say 'bolster democratic cybersecurity' as well, they're not conflicting policies. It's also very unclear to me how sanctions stop Russian espionage either, since a) Russia is currently under sanctions and b) Russia is currently engaging in espionage.

PBY's "don't trust the military" comment was in response to someone who literally suggested considering military strikes. It's pretty fair to say I wouldn't trust the United States to invade Russia but I would trust them to defend Poland (to an extent); I imagine PBY feels the same way.

PBY says he doesn't know what the exact best policy is because we don't have enough information. I agree. I say that we do have enough information to determine what some of the worse policies are. PBY (probably) agrees (although I don't want to speak for him). None of this is inconsistent.

This selective quoting is just getting desperate. I'm saddened to know that war boners aren't just a Republican trait.

jtb

Banned
Crab, what's the best way to expand without inflicting massive AE penalties and/or forming coalitions against you? Also, the cheapest way to core new provinces? Is it to diplo-annex the shit out of everything? I suck at this game, please help.

Diablos

This is the song that doesn't end, yes it goes on and on my friend~~

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab, what's the best way to expand without inflicting massive AE penalties and/or forming coalitions against you? Also, the cheapest way to core new provinces? Is it diplo-annex the shit out of everything? I suck at this game, help.

Always check your CBs, they can alter the amount of AE you get. Take small nibbles if you need territory. Vassalizing is normally a better route in the early game if you're not a big power.

Later on, 'coalition' is just another word for 'more conquered territory than usual'.

Crocodile

I don't know? I just know that the response should be measured and considered with respect to the bad act we're trying to mitigate. "PUNCH EM BACK" is not that.

This is some hawkishness I can't comprehend. "Everything should be on the table" outside of boots on the ground??????

Like - are you okay with airstrikes?

I mean I argued for a proportional response. Air strikes I don't think are proportional at this point in time.

Let's be clear, its hard to gauge exactly how many votes Russian interference cost Clinton last year. However, because Trump won

-We lost a SC seat
-20+ million people are on the verge of losing their health insurance
-White Supremacists and Nazis are feeling emboldened
-An organization in the Executive Branch is working to try to restrict our right to vote

Over 3,000 lives were lost on 9/11. If the worst of the Trump Agenda gets put into place, more than 3,000 people across the country will lose their lives or see their quality of life plummet. I don't think you've internalized how badly Russia fucked us. Shrugging your shoulders and going "oh I dunno" isn't an appropriate response.

Wilsongt

Turtle wants to keep kicking that can for a few more years I see.

Jr.'s lawyer knows who it is but isn't telling.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/17/politics/donald-trump-jr-agalarov/index.html
(CNN) - Donald Trump Jr.'s attorney, Alan Futerfas, has told CNN he has spoken by phone to the eighth person in the room during the meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016.
Futerfas says the person, who he declined to name, was a US citizen and said he was not employed by the Russian government. But Futerfas acknowledged he didn't know his entire history. The Agalarovs and their attorney have not publicly explained who the employee was who attended.

Futerfas says during his conversation the Agalarov representative corroborated what has already been reported about the meeting: that in the first couple of minutes there were pleasantries exchanged and then the Russian lawyer discussed the information she allegedly had about Russia donating to the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton before moving on to the topic of adoptions.

and there's this, which raises the question of why they didn't release such a statement initially, if they were so willing
He also defended Trump Jr. as being willing to tell the full story even before the initial New York Times article appeared.

"Don Jr. and his counsel were fully prepared and absolutely prepared to publish or make a statement that was a fulsome statement about the nature of the meeting, what led to the meeting, what the conversation was in the meeting"

My moderate statement on this possibility:
Yeah sexism is totally a factor why joe is more liked with some people who hated Hillary. But at the same time I think his more genuine relationship with Obama than the sort of political partnership Hillary and Bams had made him a little more endearing.

It's just me speculating also but I think Joe is also a bit more maliable than Clinton. Had he gotten the nom in 2016 would of more so thrown the leftists a bone and made Warren VP or something where as Hillary mostly stuck to her guns.

But again we'll never really know and I can't be definitive at all. It is nonsense to say "Hillary sucked but joe is great", based on those dumb hypotheticals. I won't be voting for him in the 2020 primary though. Not a chance.

Sanctions and other actions against Russia that concerns the interference in the 2016 election will target entities and people that is associated with the interference. Wide- economic sanctions will likely not happen unless the reason is to punish and weaken the country as a whole,and to demonstrate willingness to damage the country. At that point, the US government is not fully concerned with the lives of the citizens, similar to North Korea.

The Ukraine sanctions was about Ukraine it targeted people and organizations that were associated with the crisis in addition to other forms of sanctions that has other political purposes, still though it will be about Ukraine. Going with all Russian inference sanctions will very different and there might be sanctions that are more political than economical.

East Lake

If "the enemy is unknowable", then the logical conclusion is that nothing should be done.

If someone argues that a fact is unknowable, despite widespread expert agreement to its existence,they are starting with a conclusion and warping their arguments to justify it.
This seems like a fairly large leap. That the enemy is unknowable is to some degree defensible, because geopolitics isn't as clear as math is. Responses to certain policies can vary depending on events that cannot be predicted ahead of time.

For example I don't know what the right economic policy is for every country in Africa, and I may not know even if I'm an "expert" on an individual country, but I can believe that protectionism for every single one is the wrong policy, or at least take that as a roughly defined position

Likewise it's valid for someone like PBY to be skeptical because he admits he doesn't know, which is a good thing, and because like Crab mentioned nobody here is currently making a good case for sanctions, and like Crab mentioned this shouldn't be misconstrued with a desire to do nothing, it's a challenge to present a sound argument.

Futerfas says the person, who he declined to name, was a US citizen and said he was not employed by the Russian government. But Futerfas acknowledged he didn't know his entire history.

Paraphrased: "When you follow the money you're gonna find out he's an agent of the Russian government but we have plausible deniability."

kirblar

This seems like a fairly large leap. That the enemy is unknowable is to some degree defensible, because geopolitics isn't as clear as math is. Responses to certain policies can vary depending on events that cannot be predicted ahead of time.

For example I don't know what the right economic policy is for every country in Africa, I may not know even if I'm an "expert" on an individual country, but I can believe that protectionism for every single one is the wrong policy, or at least take that as a roughly defined position

Likewise it's valid for someone like PBY to be skeptical because he admits he doesn't know, which is a good thing, and because like Crab mentioned nobody here is currently making a good case for sanctions, and like Crab mentioned this shouldn't be misconstrued with a desire to do nothing, it's a challenge to present a sound argument.
It's not defensible. Russia hacked us. Russia has been colluding with right-wing parties across the western world and deploying propaganda to manipulate elections.

These facts are not in doubt. If they are for you, then you have a problem.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not defensible. Russia hacked us. Russia has been colluding with right-wing parties across the western world and deploying propaganda to manipulate elections.

Do you ever hear a slight whistling sound coming from above?

do you support Iraqi and Yemeni suicide bombers attacking American civilians until America retreats from their territory?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"Don Jr. and his counsel were fully prepared and absolutely prepared to publish or make a statement that was a fulsome statement about the nature of the meeting, what led to the meeting, what the conversation was in the meeting"
That's some wildly revisionist history.

Futerfas also confirmed that the $50,000 that the Trump re-election campaign paid in June to his firm was, at least in part, for work he's now doing for Donald Trump Jr.
But Trump only just found out!

My point about the Russian border was explicitly responding to Antrax's question about what to do in the event of Polish invasion. It's quite easy for me to say 'bolster democratic cybersecurity' as well, they're not conflicting policies. It's also very unclear to me how sanctions stop Russian espionage either, since a) Russia is currently under sanctions and b) Russia is currently engaging in espionage.

PBY's "don't trust the military" comment was in response to someone who literally suggested considering military strikes. It's pretty fair to say I wouldn't trust the United States to invade Russia but I would trust them to defend Poland (to an extent); I imagine PBY feels the same way.

PBY says he doesn't know what the exact best policy is because we don't have enough information. I agree. I say that we do have enough information to determine what some of the worse policies are. PBY (probably) agrees (although I don't want to speak for him). None of this is inconsistent.

This selective quoting is just getting desperate. I'm saddened to know that war boners aren't just a Republican trait.

Those sanctions accomplished something. Putin was not happy at the prospect of a Clinton Presidency, enough that they engaged in a hostile subversion of the most powerful country on Earths elections to prevent it from happening. But sure, lets just assume that because their country hasn't literally fallen apart it accomplished nothing. Even then, the idea is that you do anything you can short of military action to prevent them from continuing acts of aggression, and Russia hasn't continued to push into Ukraine. And despite what you claimed, a nations economy is essential to the long term functionality of its government.

Nobody said invade Russia, they suggested considering targeted Air Strikes, which is completely different. I wouldn't consider an actual invasion of Russia a good idea either, but not because I don't trust the Military, because I think it's a logistical nightmare that's likely to end with the United States being targeted by nuclear weapons.

We have plenty of information to know certain things, like that Russia is a threat, and that they have targeted American elections, American infrastructure, and now have a sympathetic agent or ten in the Executive Branch. You didn't say best policy, you said right policy. As if there's only one thing that we could do correctly, while also dismissing a bunch of things you disagreed with as inherently wrong.

Yes, it's about going to War. I just want us to go to War so bad it keeps me up at night. I can't wait for another terrorist attack so we can just go blow some shit up. If it were my call we would be spending 1/10th on Defense as we do now, and we would have spent the last 10 or so years helping Europe build up its own EU Armed Forces to defend its own interests so we could completely back away from being the World Police. However, we're in the longest sustained peace time in modern history, so unfortunately us policing the world seems to have worked a bit. We'd stay the hell away from Iran, we'd stay the hell away from Israel, we'd stay the hell away from Iraq/Afghanistan. But yes, I just want a war with Russia.

Wouldn't that play into what the Russians have been saying about NATO buildup? Anyway, we have been doing that for the last few years.

There's also that. Bulking up Poland does little to combat Russia's claims that NATO is a threatening alliance against them. It basically gives them footing to claim they are being victimized.

East Lake

This is more or less what you've been saying for a couple pages, again with a strawman.

Where did I say Russia's hacking was in doubt, or that Russia hasn't been colluding with right-wing parties?

I did say that you haven't yet presented a good argument for sanctions, which is a trend that continues with this post.

Sanctions and other actions against Russia that concerns the interference in the 2016 election will target entities and people that is associated with the interference. Wide- economic sanctions will likely not happen unless the reason is to punish and weaken the country as a whole,and to demonstrate willingness to damage the country. At that point, the US government is not fully concerned with the lives of the citizens, similar to North Korea.

At the same time like North Korea, the industry is the state. Putin owns enough industry through the government and through his oligarchy that targeted sanctions are mostly symbolic (though they do drive away investors and international creditors). Broad economic sanctions is realistically the only way to start to influence the state's decisions. IMO first targeting their weapons trades is one way to provide a somewhat targeted means of hurting the regime like oil prices have.

Even without Rand, Collins, Lee, and Moran being hard nos means that this iteration of the bill has effectively died. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Murkowski, Capito, and Heller also release statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom