• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time this shit happens I want to scream at some people, "Now, are you SURE you want to get rid of Pelosi?" I will probably be using that question frequently as they move to the debt ceiling negotiations.

Barzul

I knew GOP didn't really want to repeal the law. It was only useful as a rallying cry with the Obama bogeyman to tie it to. As the era of Obama fades it becomes a fuck ton harder to repeal something so deeply entrenched in a core aspect of our economy. Especially for such a shit alternative. It's not just slightly worse it's magnitudes of crap worse.

Blader

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 14m14 minutes ago
Replying to @costareports
Privately, several House mbrs and Sns told me for weeks they didn't really want to pass it. Like groom w/ cold feet, after long engagement.

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 12m12 minutes ago
What many Rs wanted was to check box without political cost. Passionless effort. Saw Dems salivating at what passage meant for '18. Cringed.

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 10m10 minutes ago
What you have to understand is that privately many Rs rather "blame Dems" ahead of 2018, rather than shoulder burden of passing this bill.

Too bad they all came to this conclusion AFTER partying with Trump in the Rose Garden. Whoops.

Felling better on health care of course, but going through this same process every few weeks of panic and anger to eventual content is soul-draining.
I'm so glad Paul Ryan drove his caucus off a cliff just so he could watch the bill die in the Senate. What was the point of that again?
Lol fucking idiots. Blame Dems just will not work this time. That Rose Garden party will haunt them in 2018 for sure.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F467777%2Ff5b2655b-c976-42c6-9121-7b2036865bd6.jpg
Most bitchin' kegger in Congressional history, yo! Beats the pants off of those ragers Biden threw out on the WH lawn.
...Yeah, Paul Ryan is not good at his job. McConnell is freaking amazing at his job in that he'll go to any lengths to get what he wants, but even he can't piece together 50 votes for the equivalent of raw condensed evil on paper.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Felling better on health care of course, but going through this same process every few weeks of panic and anger to eventual content is soul-draining.

Most bitchin' kegger in Congressional history, yo! Beats the pants off of those ragers Biden threw out on the WH lawn.
...Yeah, Paul Ryan is not good at his job. McConnell is freaking amazing at his job in that he'll go to any lengths to get what he wants, but even he can't piece together 50 votes for the equivalent of raw condensed evil on paper.

Pelosi and Reid shit on them both from a great height. Pelosi especially.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
From OT

Abby D. Phillip @abbydphillip

WH aides tonight signaling that they plan to press fwd on health care. Not taking Moran/Lee pulling out as the end of the healthcare effort.

BoHiCA

teiresias

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 14m14 minutes ago
Privately, several House mbrs and Sns told me for weeks they didn't really want to pass it. Like groom w/ cold feet, after long engagement.

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 12m12 minutes ago
What many Rs wanted was to check box without political cost. Passionless effort. Saw Dems salivating at what passage meant for '18. Cringed.

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 10m10 minutes ago
What you have to understand is that privately many Rs rather "blame Dems" ahead of 2018, rather than shoulder burden of passing this bill.

Too bad they all came to this conclusion AFTER partying with Trump in the Rose Garden. Whoops.

Of course, the problem with the last part is that the bill they ended up trying to pass was absolutely hated, so no one is going to "blame dems" (besides the crazy base) for it not being passed, rather credit them for not helping pass anything.

If they mean blame dems for the current market getting worse, that won't work either with the dems having no power in Washington.

This entire party is completely bankrupt.

Loxley

Trump's totally going to try and strong-arm a vote anyway, so if this thing fails on the senate floor they know which Republicans to brand as traitors and target next year.

Republicans in the House who are vulnerable next year and voted for this thing are probably shitting themselves. R's in the Senate were supposed to be the scapegoats for when this garbage passed. But now they're pretty much in the clear and all those baffoons who were celebrating with Trump on the Rose Garden after it passed the House are now caught with their pants down.

The ironic thing is that the more the senate toils to satisfy senators scared of the Medicaid cuts, the worse off the bill's chances become in the House. I don't buy the recent rumors that the House will simply rubber stamp this and that will be The End.

I also have to wonder how much of this failure is a direct result of the president's historic unpopularity, and the nonstop negative news surrounding him. I'd imagine a President Kasich would also propose some type of plan that reduces Medicaid rates (to a smaller degree of course)...but President Kasich would be riding a 50%+ approval rating right now, taking credit for a good economy, and not be embroiled in controversy. Less heat on congress, more willingness to take chances.

Tamanon

Banned
I expect a push for full repeal aka the 2015 bill. If that dies (I expect it to) then it's truely dead Jim.

Yeah, I can see that. And I can see it not making it out of the house.

I eagerly await reps trying to justify not passing it now after they passed it under President Obama. i understand why, but it's not a good reason to have to explain, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They don't care about Obamacare. Repealing Obamacare is almost an afterthought to them. They want to repeal Johnsoncare.

Problem is if they go straight for that they die politically, which is why they're doing this whole end-run around the issue using Obamacare.

Kevinroc

Problem is if they go straight for that they die politically, which is why they're doing this whole end-run around the issue using Obamacare.

Oh, I know that. But the public hates Trumpcare. They actually lost the messaging on this one. Everyone thinks they're cutting their healthcare so they can cut taxes on the rich (which is what they're doing, but that's also what everyone thinks they're doing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom