• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Everyone knows what's in the legislation now. The only thing he can essentially be doing in this lunch is threatening. I don't think that's going to ingratiate him to the moderate holdouts, and the FC holdouts that hated McConnell saying stuff would never happen anyway see how neither Mitch nor Trump can reassure then otherwise given their track record.

How is Obamacare actually dying? Is there statistical proof to digest?
Its not. Some insurers in few counties pulled out, including Ohio. But the vast majority of them are intact.

Anyways I think dems should propose a few things to cut down premiums:

Federal regulations on yearly drug testing. Pro Publica did a piece recently and found out that meds from a few decades ago still were effective with no signs of side effects. Pharma trashes a billion dollars worth of meds every year because they game the expiry date system.

Open medicine market inside hospitals. There's no reason an advil should cost $40/tablet. Throw some competition in there.

The medical equipment tax should be increased. This is a giant monopoly.

Boarding rates. How the fuck do they come up with $1000/night rates?

I think simply jumping to single payer will not fix the fundamental, structural problems inside health industry.

Wilsongt

Someone made a good point on NPR yesterday that health insurance and coverage means jack shit until something is done about the skyrocketing costs of treatment.

If you are required to pay 20% copay on a procedure due to insurance, all the doctors/hospitals have to do is raise the cost of the procedure and you end up paying more out of pocket.

Teggy

Lewandowski reminds me of that little dog from the bugs bunny cartoons who hung around with the big bulldog and just complimented him.

latest

Also, Drudge posted this

Maxim726X

Its not. Some insurers in few counties pulled out, including Ohio. But the vast majority of them are intact.

Anyways I think dems should propose a few things to cut down premiums:

Federal regulations on yearly drug testing. Pro Publica did a piece recently and found out that meds from a few decades ago still were effective with no signs of side effects. Pharma trashes a billion dollars worth of meds every year because they game the expiry date system.

Open medicine market inside hospitals. There's no reason an advil should cost $40/tablet. Throw some competition in there.

The medical equipment tax should be increased. This is a giant monopoly.

Boarding rates. How the fuck do they come up with $1000/night rates?

I think simply jumping to single payer will not fix the fundamental, structural problems inside health industry.

Trump could just not pay the subsidies to health care companies that were negotiated years ago, which would essentially kill it off.

And because he's a child, that's probably what he will do.

Trump could just not pay the subsidies to health care companies that were negotiated years ago, which would essentially kill it off.

And because he's a child, that's probably what he will do.
He will shut up and pay the subsidies just like he's certifying the Iran nuclear deal.

Maxim726X

He will shut up and pay the subsidies just like he's certifying the Iran nuclear deal.

I wish I shared your confidence.

The Iran deal is getting no press. His healthcare failure is, and he would love to point to the failure of Obamacare as proof that he was right all along. Actually, nothing would make him happier.

Teggy

They're just never going to stop...

Taniel @Taniel

.@mj_lee reports DJT is pushing for return to BCRA, & talked to Mike Lee last night. Remember Heller, Murk, Capito still undecided on BCRA.

They're just never going to stop...

They literally can't. They need this bill to balance out the ones they've probably actually thought through. I'd guess they have a tax plan (probably had it for awhile) but if they can't do healthcare then they'll need a new tax bill. And that means more cat herding.

studyguy

Drudge seems to be getting ahead of the curve here by going anti-Trump. He's ready to jettison and scapegoat him.

Pretty much, they're doing it up with the big ass negative Trump headlines for a minute now, no wonder Breitbart was trying to knock their reporting.

Teggy

Steve Peoples @sppeoples

Club For Growth and Tea Party Patriots launching new website today: “Traitorous Republicans.” Targets are Murkowski, Portman and Capito.
11:11 AM · Jul 19, 2017

letthemfight.gif

DrMungo

Trump restarted the house bill so don't be so cocky.

this is precisely why I am still nervous. There is no basement for how craven and careless the GOP will be (see the budget showdowns, debt ceiling showdown, government shutdowns, Trump's nomination)

They voted the House bill without CBO scoring.
Now they are starting to attack the CBO

This thing will only completely die if control of either chamber of Congress flips to D by 2018

Ogodei

Figured the Tea Party would've learned the futility of targeting Murkowski. What's she gonna have to do? Win another write-in election?

Trump stepping up to bat is bad news (if it means he and Pence are going to take this more seriously), but there's a lot of hurt feelings in the Senate over this bill now and everyone seems glad of even the possibility of putting this behind them.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/...y-be-smaller-than-it-seems.html?_r=0&referer=

Polls might be hiding declining Republican support for Trump because people are less likely to identify as Republican if they disapprove of Trump.

Republican support might currently be in the 70-80% rather than the 80-90% range that polls are showing.

It's a possibility, but, for my own mental sanity, I'm going to stick with assuming the polls telling us bad news are mostly accurate. 2016 was a pretty tough pill to swallow.

PBY

Banned
ChuckGrassley‏Verified account
@ChuckGrassley

I'm eager to replace Obamacare and I'm the first one on the bus to the Whitehouse to find the magic to get to "yes"

@ChuckGrassley

I'm eager to replace Obamacare and I'm the first one on the bus to the Whitehouse to find the magic to get to "yes"

k

Yeah, it's not all trending well... Republicans and Trump supporters are still more likely than Democrats and Trump opposers to vote in the 2018 midterms....

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/887649090602971138

DFGQI4_TUAAA44_N7.jpg

I mean, this also isn't how midterms or any election since Trump's inauguration has really worked. And the "strong Trump approval" is an increasingly narrow part of the electorate, which is what the NYT article speaks to.

And you can't say something is "trending" without context.

It's a possibility, but, for my own mental sanity, I'm going to stick with assuming the polls telling us bad news are mostly accurate. 2016 was a pretty tough pill to swallow.

That seems like a rather awful way to go through life than evaluating polls on their own merits and understanding the appropriate context.

Ernest

Banned
@ChuckGrassley

The only thing that the Repubs had to do was work to FIX Obamacare. I've heard plenty of Dems (and even Obama himself) say that work was necessary to make it better.

Instead the Repubs and Trump wanted to go scorched earth on the thing just because it is tied to Obama (can't have the first black president with a lasting legacy). And now that they've helped destabilize it even further, they want to just drop it and blame the Democrats.

It's like if the Dems built a house but it needed some improvements. Then the Repubs came in, said they would build a better house instead of fixing what was already there, and proceeded to tear out half of the support structures, rip off the roof and pull the siding down. Then they realized they didn't know how to actually build a fucking house, so they just walked away from the gutted structure with a "good luck!" to the people who lived there.

NoName999

GOP-Led Attack Aims To Chip Away At Endangered Species Act

WASHINGTON — As planet Earth stares down the barrel of a sixth mass extinction event, conservative lawmakers in Washington have taken aim not at climate change or habitat loss, but at one of the most important laws to protect imperiled species and combat the biodiversity crisis: the Endangered Species Act.

In December, shortly after Trump’s surprise victory, Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah), chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resources, told E&E News that it may be time for lawmakers to “start over again” and “repeal it and replace it.”

Jamie Rappaport Clark, president and chief executive officer of the conservation nonprofit Defenders of Wildlife and a former director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said the “hodgepodge” of bills is “aimed at undermining, circumventing or eliminating” protections under the 43-year-old law.
“None of it is based in science. None of it is going to make the Endangered Species Act work more efficiently or effectively,” she told Huff Post in an interview Tuesday. “And absolutely none of what they are doing will accelerate species recovery or slow down species extinction. So it’s really kind of selfish and self-serving.”

Literally Captain Planet villains.

Maxim726X

The only thing that the Repubs had to do was work to FIX Obamacare. I've heard plenty of Dems (and even Obama himself) say that work was necessary to make it better.

Instead the Repubs and Trump wanted to go scorched earth on the thing just because it is tied to Obama (can't have the first black president with a lasting legacy). And now that they've helped destabilize it even further, they want to just drop it and blame the Democrats.

It's like if the Dems built a house but it needed some improvements. Then the Repubs came in, said they would build a better house instead of fixing what was already there, and proceeded to tear out half of the support structures, rip off the roof and pull the siding down. Then they realized they didn't know how to actually build a fucking house, so they just walked away from the gutted structure with a "good luck!" to the people who lived there.

It's symbolic of their inability to govern.

Yet they continue to convince people that they can. It's amazing to watch.

k
That seems like a rather awful way to go through life than evaluating polls on their own merits and understanding the appropriate context.

That's fair. What I mean to say is that I'm trying to avoid confirmation bias internally. Critical analysis of polling data and the context from which it was created is highly important in understanding what a given poll means (if anything at all). That being said, I'm working on reversing my internal instinct to look for reasons to tear a poll apart simply because it doesn't adhere to my own beliefs about what is actually going on around me.

Again, 2016 was rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom