• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/opinion/donald-trump-voting-rights-purge.html

a decent opinion piece.

Purging voters is part of a larger malicious pattern that states have employed across the country. Georgia and Ohio are being sued for carrying out early versions of what we can expect from the Trump administration.

lots of people in ohio got purged from voter roles, expect what happened here to happen nation wide, my guess, mid 2018. a few months before the elections. thousands will be quietly purged only for people to find out they're no longer registered to vote when they show up

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like how basic functioning government processes are a "win"

I know--that's why I put it in quotation marks. That's how far the GOP has fallen. They'll claim anything. Look at Trump's statement yesterday about how he convinced 48 senators and he should be praised for that.

Also:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I will be having lunch at the White House today with Republican Senators concerning healthcare. They MUST keep their promise to America!

He's still trying to push them into it. Hilarious.

Barzul

I know--that's why I put it in quotation marks. That's how far the GOP has fallen. They'll claim anything. Look at Trump's statement yesterday about how he convinced 48 senators and he should be praised for that.

Also:

He doesn't even understand what he's selling. The population knows it, the Senators know it, his aides know. It's quite embarrassing really, even Bush wasn't this bad at policy.

Crocodile

The attack on voting rights, out in the open or behind the scenes, is my biggest fear for next year. We really need to take back at least one chamber of Congress back >_<

Also LOL Trump doesn't get that its HIS job to sell the bill. It's also hard to sell a bill that is as popular, and equally as fatal to Americans, as actual cancer.

FyreWulff

Also:

"alright, we got ourselves out of the volcano, Don. we can move on"

*5 seconds later, wide shot shows GOP being pushed back in*

Donald J. Trump&#8207;Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I will be having lunch at the White House today with Republican Senators concerning healthcare. They MUST keep their promise to America!

Umm, perhaps someone should remind Trump that he promised not to cut Medicare or Medicaid...

Teggy

LOL

@KevinMKruse
·
23m

My sources say the Marshal of the Supreme Court wants to send Bannon to the Phantom Zone, but he needs clearance from the Ministry of Magic.

DFGWyzjXsAAsaTo

The other hilarious thing about his lunch is he was just bitching about Democrats not "helping." He then proceeds to only invite the GOP to this, rather than all Senators.

He's such a profoundly dumb piece of shit.

Calling Russia communist in 2017 is as anachronistic as saying Red China. It just comes off as eye roll worthy.

No it's quite a bit worse. The USSR hasn't existed for decades while the People's Republic of China (ruled by the communist party and flying a red communist flag) is thriving.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
European Disunion: What the rise of populist movements means for democracy.

Pretty good piece that effectively outlines the suspicion I and many others have for populism in any form, even when its ostensibly in service of left wing politics

TLDR: Right wing populism's problems are obvious. Left wing populism still requires assuming a unified "political interests of the people" which in their case is "suppressed by a class of elites" and "if the right people got into power the solutions to many problems would be simple". Since this...isn't true (well points one and three definitely are not true, two is sure) populist leaders who gain power trend towards authoritarianism, xenophobia or both regardless of underlying political bent.
Because they see themselves as the only legitimate political actors, they seek to take over the judiciary, to gain control of the media, and to co-opt other institutions.

Donald J. Trump&#8207;Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The Republicans never discuss how good their healthcare bill is, & it will get even better at lunchtime.The Dems scream death as OCare dies!

I love the implication that one lunchtime meeting can fix everything. lmao

Penguin

I love the implication that one lunchtime meeting can fix everything. lmao

Who's fault is it that they never discussed how good their healthcare bill is... like no one told them to do it in secret and try to push it through. Nor has he ever given any details as to what's actually in the bill.

and dude needs to pick a lane... is he for repeal, is he for replace, does he just want them to like OCare die?

I think her reasoning was that the electorate wouldn't need her to explicitly capitalize on it - it was across every news channel, every paper, every late night show. Genuinely, if people thought "oh, Hillary hasn't made enough political hay out of Pussygate for me to care about it," then they were actively looking for a reason to vote for a white man of privilige who sexually assaults women.

Can we actually accept that not every problem with Hillary's loss is her fault? Can we finally, at this point in time, say that a portion of the electorate is hateful, ignorant, and wanted Trump, no matter what? The electorate - all of the electorate - should've accepted Pussygate straight-off, since it came from Trump's own mouth.

Hillary is also probably the most religious candidate for president (after the primaries) in decades so I imagine she personally doesn't want to even talk about things like that tape.

I wonder if we'll see a point where he starts agitating for someone to replace Ryan and/or McConnell in congressional leadership out of frustration of not being able to pass anything.

Hasn't he already openly hinted at replacing Ryan a few times? I know when the initial draft of the AHCA failed to pass he made some scathing comments that alluded to Ryan's demise.

Hopfrog

Just reading that Vox article on Trump supporters believing the Russia story less as more evidence comes out and was just reminded of how silly it still is that the corn-fed Midwesterners that I grew up with found their savior in a born-and-bred rich kid from New York City.

kirblar

How is Obamacare actually dying? Is there statistical proof to digest?
Trump admin is trickling out payments that were done as lump sums to insurers. This is causing some to pull out because they don't trust that those payments will be there in the future.

Also, shit w/ the Humana/Aetna merger causing them to pull out of profitable areas to try and sneak by regulators.

RDreamer

DFGWc3OU0AANANn.jpg

He really seems to have gone off the deep end.

Shouldn't...uh... shouldn't the leader of the republicans be leading the charge in talking about healthcare? That's you, Donnie. I'm sure any news agency in the country would love to put you on for an hour or give you a front page spread for an interview focused on healthcare specifics. How about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom