• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Sad to read about McCain. I've joked about his lack of maverick status the last few years but the man is a war hero and I truly believe that he loves this country. I hope he recovers and is in good health soon.

What does mean for the near term? Senators have to be present for votes right?

Yes. We don't do vote-by-proxy, and government is always ancient when it comes to technology, so no tele-voting either.

Also, I would guess Trump made that foreboding comment about his finances in the NYT interview because he knew or suspected the Deutsche Bank story was coming.

Trump's only go-to bank is cooperating with the feds? Neat. That's a back door into investigating Russian money being moved around, too.

Every week needs an awesome and inspirational name so that we keep getting great runs of news like this. There's actually too much to evaluate for one news cycle today! That NYT interview is nuts enough on its own. Sessions is a coward if he doesn't resign after reading his boss throw him under the bus like that.

Ryuuroden

Leverage in Syria for no benefit to us? Why do we need leverage in Syria, exactly?

People can call it a "win for Putin" all they want, but the reality is it's a win for the Syrian people. Over 500,000 refugees have returned to their homes in government controlled Aleppo and Damascus this year. The cities are being rebuilt, markets re-opening, even Christian churches (which are...you know, legal there. Unlike some other neighboring countries).

He may have done terrible things, but Assad has the support of the vast majority of Syrians. I'm also not convinced he intentionally gassed civilians this year, since it made absolutely no sense strategically and his army was already winning, but that's another matter entirely.

The US will continue to make deals with SA no matter who's in power, because Petrodollar. I give a lot of credit to Rand Paul for consistently voting against those deals, despite some of his other policy ideas.

It was strategically dumb for Hitler and Stalin to kill their intellectual undesirables or chase them out of the country, they still did it.

Doesn't it take a month or two to appoint replacements?

Seems like problems for the GOP just got a lot worse.

Well, yes, because the governor has to interview potential replacements, the person appointed has to get his or her affairs in order, etc. And then we have the recess, abridged though it may be, approaching anyway.

Seems to me that the earliest they could resume "normal" business would be after Labor Day.

In an ideal scenario that involves McCain resigning soon, that is.

Well, yes, because the governor has to interview potential replacements, the person appointed has to get his or her affairs in order, etc. And then we have the recess, abridged though it may be, approaching anyway.

Seems to me that the earliest they could resume "normal" business would be after Labor Day.

I don't think McCain will resign before the recess.

Unfortunately I think McCain's historical legacy was sealed when he picked Palin for VP (even if you ignore everything after that point). You could argue he was just trying to survive in the face of a rapidly changing and extremist republican electorate but nobody admires politicians for abandoning their principles out of short-sighted self-interest. Cancer is terrible and everyone deserves to die with dignity, but it doesn't erase ones past. I wish him the love and comfort of family/friends and a peaceful passing, but it doesn't mean I have to respect him or his choices.

kess

Anyways, if McCain doesn't resign, he's basically handicapping Republicans since we don't do votes by proxy to a slimmer 51-48 majority.

McCain probably doesn't give a damn that Trump's legislative agenda is fucked for the foreseeable future, especially since his office had a hand in passing along the Steele Dossier.

gaugebozo

So I feel a little bad now for making fun of McCain after that hearing.

Also, is anyone else amazed at how much Made in America week has turned the conversation around? All we're talking about is Trump's exciting plans for the country!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
How could he not?

Governors don't want to be screwed by expansion repeal.

Appointment, then special electoin the next federal cycle, so Replacement and Flake would be up at once.
Would the two senate seats stay on the same track from then on? Or is it a partial term to stagger again?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AP said:
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's persistent overtures toward Russia are placing him increasingly at odds with his national security and foreign policy advisers, who have long urged a more cautious approach to dealing with the foreign adversary.

The uneasy dynamic between the president and top aides has been exacerbated by the revelation this week of an extended dinner conversation between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin at the recent summit in Germany. The previously undisclosed conversation, which occurred a few hours after their official bilateral meeting, raised red flags with advisers already concerned by the president's tendency to shun protocol and press ahead with outreach toward Russia, according to two U.S. officials and three top foreign officials.

The officials spoke only on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.

Deep divisions are increasingly apparent within the administration on the best way to approach Moscow in the midst of U.S. investigations into Russian meddling in the American presidential election. Trump has repeatedly cast doubt on the conclusion of U.S. intelligence agencies that the Russian government sought to tip the election in his favor and has dismissed investigations into the possibility of collusion between his campaign and Moscow as a "witch hunt."
https://apnews.com/4b4b7e380f204b45...'s-embrace-of-Russia-making-top-advisers-wary
Even more.

thefro

Anyways, if McCain doesn't resign, he's basically handicapping Republicans since we don't do votes by proxy to a slimmer 51-48 majority.

That's all going to depend on his prognosis and what treatment he gets.

He certainly would be able to continue working for a while if that's what he wants to do.

Unfortunately I think McCain's historical legacy was sealed when he picked Palin for VP (even if you ignore everything after that point). You could argue he was just trying to survive in the face of a rapidly changing and extremist republican electorate but nobody admires politicians for abandoning their principles out of short-sighted self-interest. Cancer is terrible and everyone deserves to die with dignity, but it doesn't erase ones past. I wish him the love and comfort of family/friends and a peaceful passing.

Honestly, McCain should have retired from politics and become a member of the private sector after 2000, he could have continued to be his original mavericky self in the press without having to cater to an increasingly shitty electorate. Giving up the behavior that created the image of you people actually liked because you lost to George fucking Bush is pretty shameful.

Bannon was "thrown under the bus", yet he's writing speeches for Trump to deliver in foreign nations. All Jefferson Beauregard has to do is lay low, continue to feed Trump's ego, and give room service a jangle and have them send up some etoufee as he watches his department trample all over the few inches of progress it finally made under a black president and black attorneys general.

KAVKSPP.png

Anyway McCain is still alive and a sitting Senator so talk of an open seat is premature and maybe a little tasteless.

I hope he lives as long as he can, but he'll most definitely vacate the seat. Chemo is hard (my mom went through it, as did my grandfather); even if he was healthy and young, it'd be tough to keep working. But with his age and the severity of the diagnosis, even if he beats it, he'll need time off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That NYT interview wasn't just an admission he hired Sessions to protect him from Russia. It was also a threat to Mueller, which is just...wow.

Unfortunately I think McCain's historical legacy was sealed when he picked Palin for VP (even if you ignore everything after that point). You could argue he was just trying to survive in the face of a rapidly changing and extremist republican electorate but nobody admires politicians for abandoning their principles out of short-sighted self-interest. Cancer is terrible and everyone deserves to die with dignity, but it doesn't erase ones past. I wish him the love and comfort of family/friends and a peaceful passing, but it doesn't mean I have to respect him or his choices.

This is where I am.

sangreal

Shit, that's scary. I for one hope he doesn't retire anytime soon. Say what you will about McCain but his replacement will be a guaranteed downgrade. Would the appointment last through his original term ? He just got reelected so that would really suck

It's terrifying to me how you can go in for a non-life-threatening surgery and come out learning you have brain cancer

I thought Conryns comments that "more on McCain's health will be released on Friday" or whatever was strange and now I know why

Plinko

sangreal

McCain is probably going to die in the next 12 months, guys... Of course he's going to resign.

Hope his last days can be as good as possible.

I know someone who died from a glioblastoma and they still worked for a good year or so after diagnosis. He is unlikely to live through his term but that doesn't make resignation necessarily imminent

I know someone who died from a glioblastoma and they still worked for a good year or so. He is unlikely to live through his term but that doesn't make resignation necessarily imminent

Wouldn't he want to spend as much time as possible with his family? Being a senator takes a ton of time, it's not a regular 9-5 where you still have plenty of home time.

Shit, that's scary. I for one hope he recovers and doesn't retire. Say what you will about McCain but his replacement will be a guaranteed downgrade. Would the appointment last through his original term ?

No, just until the next midterm. Which means both AZ seats would be open next year.

And yeah @IWMTB19's post, McCain most certainly won't want to push himself to finish a term that's just started. Maybe he'd try if he was up for reelection next year so he could finish up and retire that way, but he isn't going to try for a full 6 years.

Crocodile

Trump's only go-to bank is cooperating with the feds? Neat. That's a back door into investigating Russian money being moved around, too.

Every week needs an awesome and inspirational name so that we keep getting great runs of news like this. There's actually too much to evaluate for one news cycle today! That NYT interview is nuts enough on its own. Sessions is a coward if he doesn't resign after reading his boss throw him under the bus like that.

If Sessions quits he won't get to do the racism so he probably won't resign :/

Manchin was just on Anderson Cooper just now. The man is good at playing both sides. He's going to get reelected for sure.

I don't like that he voted for Sessions AT ALL but honestly he has done a great job with pretty much every televised appearance I've seen him do.

shem935

Banned
I know someone who died from a glioblastoma and they still worked for a good year or so after diagnosis. He is unlikely to live through his term but that doesn't make resignation necessarily imminent

What an awful fate to spend your last years on earth with the chucklefucks in the republican house and senate.

Plinko

I can't believe he flat-out warned Mueller against investigating his finances. With how much the guy projects, it feels like an outright admission of guilt.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Teddy stayed in office up until his death.

That's pretty much due entirely to wanting to make sure healthcare got done, it was his signature issue.

I can't believe he flat-out warned Mueller against investigating his finances. With how much the guy projects, it feels like an outright admission of guilt.

If I'm Mueller I'm calling up my #2 and saying that's the next place we're gonna look.

Manchin was just on Anderson Cooper just now. The man is good at playing both sides. He's going to get reelected for sure.

He's probably loving the fact that he gets to run under a Trump presidency. Gives him so much more freedom that he didn't have under Obama and wouldn't have had under Hillary.

sangreal

Wouldn't he want to spend as much time as possible with his family? Being a senator takes a ton of time, it's not a regular 9-5 where you still have plenty of home time.

Most of that time is fundraising etc for reelection though. If you just want to vote on things and go on Sunday shows it doesn't take much. I imagine he will not want to do the latter due to his deteriorating appearance though. Really it's a sad situation, not how I wanted him to go out

Looking at a 2003 study on it, he's got about a 70% chance of making it a little less than 12 months, with aggressive treatment including surgery. It's still his choice of course, but if I read that sentence (given that his career and life means that his family doesn't need him to keep going to work), I'd be retiring within a fortnight and I'd be spending that time with family.

edit: Oh fuck, I misread the chart. His odds with all of that treatment is actually less than 50%, and that's assuming surgery doesn't present any neurological problems. If it does (or if he can't do surgery), his odds of hitting a year are only 28%.

Owzers

I really hope this healthcare bill dies, it's quite stressful knowing the GOP persists on this path of destruction towards other people and every day there is new talk of it. An unpopular bill that will hurt many? We must find a way.

Most of that time is fundraising etc for reelection though. If you just want to vote on things and go on Sunday shows it doesn't take much. I imagine he will not want to do the latter due to his deteriorating appearance though. Really it's a sad situation, not how I wanted him to go out

Me either. I wanted him to not run for another term and the Democrats to grab his old seat for the rest of time.

Winning (possibly) it next year, rather than in 6 years, feels weird.

Sucks about McCain

Ok who's running in his seat

Sinema and Stanton should play heads or tails for which one they each run in. I don't think we win both though but it's probably an easier lift than beating Cruz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom