• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans won an open seat in Illinois in 2010, was it that purple then?

Arizona is pretty fucking purple.
Does anyone remember what happened in the last special election vacated by a senator who died from brain cancer in the midst of controversial healthcare legislation in a state that was widely considered safe for the incumbent party?

Anyone? Anyone?

Diablos

Does anyone remember what happened in the last special election vacated by a senator who died from brain cancer in the midst of controversial healthcare legislation in a state that was widely considered safe for the incumbent party?

Anyone? Anyone?
Scott Brown 2012! He's gonna do it!

The Medicaid expansion is extremely popular in AZ. Lot of older people who moved there for their health.
Yeah. Flake only won by 3 points; we were already looking at his seat as a potential pickup. McCain dominated in his 2016 election, but he was an institution and got a huge incumbency bonus. I wouldn't rule out a Dem in a wave.

Trump fires Sessions and he has a clearer path to fire Mueller....but Sessions would be gone and he may flip on Trump...

A356jiI.gif

watershed

Banned
Is Huntsman so desperate for a job? I don't know why else anyone would want to be the US ambassador to Russia of all places right now. There's like a 50/50 chance he'll end up in a federal investigation.

Mike M

Nick N
Presuming he fires Sessions, what actually consequences would he face? Is it the assumption that it will be what causes the congressional GOP to stop carrying water for him?

UberTag

Is Huntsman so desperate for a job? I don't know why else anyone would want to be the US ambassador to Russia of all places right now. There's like a 50/50 chance he'll end up in a federal investigation.
Can't we just safely assume that anyone vying for that job is already compromised?

He fires Sessions, Congressional Intel Orgs hire Mueller as special prosecutor answerable to them rather than the DOJ. It's too hot to go away now.

He fires Sessions, Congressional Intel Orgs hire Mueller as special prosecutor answerable to them rather than the DOJ. It's too hot to go away now.
I know Schiff has said they'd do this, but could they even bring Mueller back, since presumably firing the Special Counsel could also be an act of obstruction that would become part of the investigation?

watershed

Banned
I know Schiff has said they'd do this, but could they even bring Mueller back, since presumably firing the Special Counsel could also be an act of obstruction that would become part of the investigation?

Yes. Firing the special prosecutor would be an immediate obstruction of justice charge in a sane world.

watershed

Banned
I am predicting now that Trump will fire Sessions before the end of September. It is so clearly on his mind, he can't help but talk about Sessions during any and all interviews, and I think the only thing stopping him are his aides telling him it would be a disastrous move. But he only listens to people's advice for so long. Eventually his impulse will take over. Sessions is gonna be fired or he will proactively resign by the end of September.

Only if they planned to include Mueller as a witness. So long as Mueller isn't called to testify (which he wouldn't be), then theoretically he'd be in the clear to continue.

I am predicting now that Trump will fire Sessions before the end of September. It is so clearly on his mind, he can't help but talk about Sessions during any and all interviews, and I think the only thing stopping him are his aides telling him it would be a disastrous move. But he only listens to people's advice for so long. Eventually his impulse will take over. Sessions is gonna be fired or he will proactively resign by the end of September.

Sessions may resign by the end of the week. That would be the normal response.

2 AND A HALF WEEKS?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Watching TV half the day for four days then playing golf for three is exhausting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL what is this "Sessions will flip" talk? Come on.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Candidate Trump said:
“I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done,” Trump, 69, tells ITK. "I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.”

I usually think shitting on the president for vacation / golfing is a sad past time. But Trump is an exception since he spent soooooo much time shitting on Obama for the same thing.

The "Sessions will flip" talk probably stems from the fact that he looks like a vindictive little weasel.

God, if he resigned a Senate seat to be Attorney general but gets fired six months in...

The "Sessions will flip" talk probably stems from the fact that he looks like a vindictive little weasel.

God, if he resigned a Senate seat to be Attorney general but gets fired six months in...
Imagine Sessions quitting or getting fired and then running in the special election for the seat he just vacated.

Barzul

Cant see Trump electing a worse AG than Sessions bar maybe someone like Kobach. Sure it'd be a Russia apologist but just can't see their civil rights + immigration views being worse than Sessions.

Cant see Trump electing a worse AG than Sessions bar maybe someone like Kobach. Sure it'd be a Russia apologist but just can't see their civil rights + immigration views being worse than Sessions.
Kobach is running for KS governor. He's not giving that up for a post that will put him in legal jeapordy with this corrupt admin and to go through a senate confirmation fight that will be extremely rough and will air all of his dirty shit. He's only now getting the national spotlight with the election commission garbage.

I don't think he wins the Governorship either. He's running on continuing Brownback's horrid tax cuts and policies and I think Kansans (including Kansas R's) are about done with that shit.

It's ridiculous.

Kirkpatrick, Sinema, and Mark Kelly need to have a Newsom/Kamala sit down and all pick what they want to do.
Telling you man, don't sleep on Greg Stanton. He could run for governor I suppose.

I could see this encouraging Kelly to take that leap. Don't forget that McCain voted for gun control.

I was thinking yesterday that we'd gone a while without an "Is [Admin Official X] Losing Favor?" story. Dumb palace intrigue, but luckily the details in the interview are outrageous enough, it wasn't just because he didn't like the media presence of Mr. Jefferson Beauregard Stonewall Lee Forrest Bragg Longstreet Booth Simmons Griffith Sessions VIII.

Mike M

Nick N
In the hypothetical situation that Mueller is shutdown and the congressional investigations are sandbagged by the GOP (all of which seems distressingly possible, if not outright likely, given how the GOP has behaved since the election), there's still the NY AG investigation he and the GOP can't touch, right? But that's strictly limited to investigation into the Trumps' finances and wouldn't get into Russia tampering with the election?

In the hypothetical situation that Mueller is shutdown and the congressional investigations are sandbagged by the GOP (all of which seems distressingly possible, if not outright likely, given how the GOP has behaved since the election), there's still the NY AG investigation he and the GOP can't touch, right? But that's strictly limited to investigation into the Trumps' finances and wouldn't get into Russia tampering with the election?

If Mueller is fired - we're in pure 100% Watergate meltdown. He can try to fire everyone else afterwards, but if he goes through with firing Mueller, his presidency is over. It's a matter of time at that point, IMO. I legit believe that snd I believe even the GOP will run for the hills.

Yes. Schneiderman would likely focus on the finances but wouldn't be directly investigating the election meddling.

However, there's also this lawsuit floating around. If it reaches the discovery phase, as Ben Wittes (Comey's friend and the source for some recent stories) believes it will, the plaintiffs' attorneys will be able to comb through Trump's business, including his tax returns. And the whole affair would be overseen by a judge not in any way beholden to Trump. It would be a backdoor independent commission, albeit only through the lens of the plaintiffs' case, but we'd get some juicy bits from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom