• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bannon was "thrown under the bus", yet he's writing speeches for Trump to deliver in foreign nations. All Jefferson Beauregard has to do is lay low, continue to feed Trump's ego, and give room service a jangle and have them send up some etoufee as he watches his department trample all over the few inches of progress it finally made under a black president and black attorneys general.

Teggy

Well, Murkowski wound up showing up to the get to yes meeting after all.

BTW, this idea that Trump doesn't remember his meeting with Comey...he could be lying or he could have dimentia.

DFIwI26WAAAlsaP

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus. Fuck cancer, no one deserves it.

Gives a little ontext to his "bizarre" statements/questions lately...

This is like some bizarro world version of early 2009

R/R/R set up
Trying (and in this case failing) to pass a health care bill
Elder party statesman gets brain cancer
Trump is as incompetent as Obama was capable

I only hope we'll see a similarly flipped result in the midterms.

And now the Compassionate Moderates in OT get to make McCain into a hero maverick and scold us for criticizing him and his efforts to deprive millions of health care.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's very likely that he will, they'll want to get everything in order before he does so.

Per posters in the other thread, this type is nasty. :(

I had an uncle with this kind of brain cancer. I don't think there's going to be a happy ending at the end of this.

Brain cancer goddamn.

Collins will want the infrastructure maintained for her Governor's run.

She's just so massively popular, she could build her own if she wanted to.

Murkowski owes the party nothing, though.

Well, I guess this means every Dem runs for the open seat instead of against Flake.

Can we do, like... a simultaneous primary? Just have the #1 run against Flake and the #2 run for the open seat? Or reverse idk.

thefro

And now the Compassionate Moderates in OT get to make McCain into a hero maverick and scold us for criticizing him and his efforts to deprive millions of health care.

He's done some good things (McCain/Feingold) and is a war hero.

I don't wish brain cancer on anyone.

Well, I guess this means every Dem runs for the open seat instead of against Flake.

Better have people running for both seats if it comes to that.

He's done some good things (McCain/Feingold) and is a war hero.

I don't wish brain cancer on anyone.

Nor do. I merely made the point that getting sick doesn't retroactively make someone a good person or excuse his efforts to hurt other people via legislation.

Kevinroc

Sucks about McCain.

What does this mean for the Health Care Vote moving forward. Means they can't even lose 2 right?

Depends on if McCain retires or not. (It wouldn't be surprising if he stepped down.)

Arizona law means the senator appointed has to be of the same political party as the senator whose seat they are filling. How long does it usually take to fill a Senate seat?

GBM shouldn't really be causing higher level cognitive problems unless its really late stage or sitting on something important (could have been if its right above the eyebrow) so McCain may just be growing old. Still really sucky, GBM is what you think of when you think brain cancer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Depends on if McCain retires or not. (It wouldn't be surprising if he stepped down.)

Arizona law means the senator appointed has to be of the same political party as the senator whose seat they are filling. How long does it usually take to fill a Senate seat?

It depends on if they have anyone who is already aspiring to run. If they do, they can just slot that person in and that's it.

Barzul

Likely yes. But you don't announce that until plans are already in place for what to do next.
Well means healthcare is likely railroaded in the near future. Hope he recovers. He's be a public servant for a long time, and one of the only Republicans who actually pushed back against Trump even if weakly. Respect.

Thaedolus

Anyone know if a replacement senator in AZ is by appointment or special election? Because if it's the latter I'm knocking on fucking doors

kirblar

I wonder if Ducey, who has been lukewarm on the health care bill, will make health care a litmus test for prospective appointees.
How could he not?

Governors don't want to be screwed by expansion repeal.

Appointment, then special electoin the next federal cycle, so Replacement and Flake would be up at once.

Lifelong* Republican Ann Kirkpatrick would never vote to repeal the ACA.

*in her heart. She was afraid to register before now because she thought her grandmama would disown her.

I won't pretend McCain hasn't spent the last 17 years flushing his credibility down the toilet after he was beaten very badly by a neoconservative dunce, but I also do my best to prioritize non-political axes of the self in rendering overall judgments on individuals, given how many I've encountered who are archetypal "good people" in all areas except their politics, which has made me long think that there is something about politics, themselves, that totally short-circuit people's brains and make them dumb and short-sighted in excess of their generalized intellectual and moral capacity.

Holmes

That's rough. I'm also starting to see more and more parallels to 2009. Life has a funny sense of humor sometimes.

Probably, but Flake is very vulnerable that he shouldn't get a free pass.

This is like some bizarro world version of early 2009

R/R/R set up
Trying (and in this case failing) to pass a health care bill
Elder party statesman gets brain cancer
Trump is as incompetent as Obama was capable

I only hope we'll see a similarly flipped result in the midterms.

This is really weird. What a strange parallel.

UberTag

BTW, this idea that Trump doesn't remember his meeting with Comey...he could be lying or he could have dimentia.
Trump is always lying. He lies so much he convinces himself his lies are the truth.
So I'm not ready to hop on the dementia bandwagon.

Anyway McCain is still alive and a sitting Senator so talk of an open seat is premature and maybe a little tasteless.

Then you don't have to talk about it.

I guarantee you similar conversations have already started at the RNC and in the Senate.

Politics doesn't slow down because someone gets sick.

Aaaaaaand we got some oppo about the banks.

kirblar

Anyway McCain is still alive and a sitting Senator so talk of an open seat is premature and maybe a little tasteless.
It's not in bad taste-it's a horrible reality. It's very likely that he will resign the seat, given that he doesn't have the same political pressure and situation (ACA & an opposite party Governor) affecting his decision like Kennedy did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom