• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell ran in a competitive election for their current posts? .

Paul Ryan's closest races have been 11.51% (2012) and 14% (2000)

McConnell has had three close (or close-ish) races, though two were his first two elections - a 0.4% win to first claim his seat, a 4.4% win six years later and a 6% win in 2008 (he won by 15.5% in 2014).

Slogans don't matter so I don't really care about the slogan itself but I was curious about that Tim Kaine op-ed the slogan is from and it feels kinda upset that someone would write an article than contains both and this

edit: wtf CAD still exists?

Seems about right.

The slogan is decent enough that gives Democrats room to do their own thing when it comes to talking about the economy and it is specific enough to understand what the Democrats want.

You can't be directly against Trump otherwise you might lose some voters because you aren't looking at other issues. The Democrats also have to worry about a very diverse constituency, including party officials being diverse themselves, some of them being in Trump states. You get have to get the party officials on board, so a really left message is out of the picture.

Besides stagnation of wages, a lack of decent jobs for some, and a lack of skills is one of the main problems that is impacting many Americans and will be a major problem in the future if not addressed. The platform might be increasing the minimum wage, infrastructure, and possibly making it easier to get Americans get new skills for the future job market. That could include free tuition for four year colleges or community colleges similar to New York and Tennessee.

2012 wasn't that long ago, either. While not a proper D wave, we still did well.

It's unsurprising the Democrats would do poorly in 2010 and 2014, given they were midterms during a Democrat president.

Right. I made this post yesterday:

I've been reviewing the House races from 2012 because of Nate's prediction that the map would "return to normal" without Trump and Hillary, and I'd forgotten how well we performed that year. Though we only won eight seats, we came close in a number of other races - like, close as in 51-49, 52-48, 53-47 - that could've gotten us about 15-20 pickups if we'd won them. With an unpopular Republican president, I think we definitely have a chance of regaining the majority on that map.

Democrats only won eight seats, but they came close in over ten more. They can retake the House on this gerrymandered map, and with 538 speculating that the map may revert to 2012 status, I think we should be looking to that year as a guide. Again, 8 victories and 10 close races in a presidential year can turn into 25+ victories in a midterm year with an unpopular Republican president.

Seems about right.

The slogan is decent enough that gives Democrats room to do their own thing when it comes to talking about the economy and it is specific enough to understand what the Democrats want.

You can't be directly against Trump otherwise you might lose some voters because you aren't looking at other issues. The Democrats also have to worry about a very diverse constituency, including party officials being diverse themselves, some of them being in Trump states. You get have to get the party officials on board, so a really left message is out of the picture.

Besides stagnation of wages, a lack of decent jobs for some, and a lack of skills is one main problems that is impacting many Americans and will be a major problem in the future if not addressed.
I'm more offended that someone talking about how Democrats need to be "pro-growth" and stop "anti-business rhetoric" is quoting Woody Guthrie.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Any "List Item 1, List Item 2, List Item 3" slogan sucks, it just feels so forced. It's like you couldn't come up with a single unifying theme, so you just went fuck it and picked three random things people like. I don't know what the Democrats want to run on, so it's hard to make any definite suggestions, but under the status quo, people feel like America doesn't work. I liked Rebuild America - it captures the idea of a return to former glory (REbuild), has construction connotations (build), obviously implies jobs as the central theme is infrastructure, and they're blue-collar jobs in conception, too, and manages to work America in without it being forced, since 'Rebuild' by itself sounds weird.

PBY

Banned
So you came out in your press conference a few weeks ago – you were pretty clear about what the bill didn't do, about which expectations of yours it didn't meet. Can you tell me now where you stand? What are your expectations as of now, and where do you see the movement towards what you're looking for?

"I don't have an answer to that question. I truly don't have an answer to that question, because things are changing so quickly ... And it's not because I'm undecided – all I'm trying to do is get all the information I possibly can before I make a decision."

WTF is Heller doing lmao

So you came out in your press conference a few weeks ago – you were pretty clear about what the bill didn't do, about which expectations of yours it didn't meet. Can you tell me now where you stand? What are your expectations as of now, and where do you see the movement towards what you're looking for?

"I don't have an answer to that question. I truly don't have an answer to that question, because things are changing so quickly ... And it's not because I'm undecided – all I'm trying to do is get all the information I possibly can before I make a decision."

WTF is Heller doing lmao

Equivocating.

He doesn't want to lose his seat, but he also doesn't want to piss off Trump and the leadership.

Any "List Item 1, List Item 2, List Item 3" slogan sucks, it just feels so forced. It's like you couldn't come up with a single unifying theme, so you just went fuck it and picked three random things people like. I don't know what the Democrats want to run on, so it's hard to make any definite suggestions, but under the status quo, people feel like America doesn't work. I liked Rebuild America - it captures the idea of a return to former glory (REbuild), has construction connotations (build), obviously implies jobs as the central theme is infrastructure, and they're blue-collar jobs in conception, too, and manages to work America in without it being forced, since 'Rebuild' by itself sounds weird.

"Skills, Jobs, Wages" doesn't give you an idea of what the Dems want to run on?

Do political parties hire actual marketing companies to help them with their messaging? I never really thought about that.

They generally have smaller politically-focused firms, afaik. Or they do for most of the smaller campaigns.

Sciz

It's not a catchy slogan, but as a reaction to the common criticism that the public doesn't think Democrats stand for anything, it makes sense. Repetition breeds memorability.

Diablos

WTF is Heller doing lmao
Heller is scared of Trump. Fucking grow a pair.

Hindl

I agree in theory but one of the "issues" with the Democratic Party is that it's such a big tent that there's so many different issues people want tackled. With the Republican party it's all rich people looking for tax breaks and then rural, religious people who want a return to when America was "great". With Democrats on the one hand you have labor wanting a return of blue collar jobs, on the other hand you have young liberals who want college debt relief and wage hikes, on another hand you have minorities and women fighting for equal rights, on another hand you have people fighting for the environment, and on yet another hand you have people wanting universal healthcare and infrastructure spending. All of these groups overlap to some degree, but also they all have different ideas on where the country should go. That's why it's hard to tell where the Democrats are pointing because they house people with all these different backgrounds and beliefs, whereas Republicans mostly have similar beliefs with different levels of passion. So a list, while lame overall, can show that the party values tons of different things instead of a generic platitude.

PBY

Banned

Rebuild America is great imo.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, yeah. Have Crab tell you about "Labour Isn't Working" - perhaps the gold standard in political marketing.

It's also interesting from a historical aspect, since it was the first major example of a private adveristing company getting involved in that sort of thing - part of the professionalization of politics. Doesn't always work, though - they should have got a refund on Strong and Stable - which I think has the same problem as the Democrats' current one. Don't use lists. Use a single item.

Rebuild America sorta bugs me on a conceptual level since it calls to a lot of the things that Make America Great Again does.

Build a Better America a better way to do it, imo.

Besides stagnation of wages, a lack of decent jobs for some, and a lack of skills is one of the main problems that is impacting many Americans and will be a major problem in the future if not addressed. The platform might be increasing the minimum wage, infrastructure, and possibly making it easier to get Americans get new skills for the future job market. That could include free tuition for four year colleges or community colleges similar to New York and Tennessee.

Democrats should heed the following nugget of knowledge if they want to win big. Only in the warped minds of corporate executives and think tanks is there a serious skills gap issue in the US. You're being taken for a ride and duped by professional BSers.

Send people to college for knowledge's sake and the fact that an educated populace can make for a stronger and prosperous society.

PBY

Banned
Rebuild America sorta bugs me on a conceptual level since it calls to a lot of the things that Make America Great Again does.

Thats good too. America is crumbling though, literally and not conceptually. Its a great name if you want to focus on infrastructure.

Democrats Together Strong

el-amanecer-del-planeta-de-los-simios1.jpg

Hopfrog

Dems should run a reverse-psychology campaign. Instead of asking people to vote for ideas, which with Trump's win people clearly do not care about complex policy positions, simply ask them to vote "None of the Above" - the ultimate outsider, damn the establishment message.

It is just crazy enough to work. A targeted ad blitz of $30 million over the span of a month should be good enough to saturate the public.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

MAGA was a great slogan, though. Like, an all-time great. Cribbing some of the key themes in the name of progressive politics is no bad thing. Take that turf away from them, don't let them own it.

Build a Better America is okay, but it doesn't get back the voters Obama lost because they don't think the Democrats understand what a better America is. That's why the Re- in Rebuild was important.

PBY

Banned
Dems should run a reverse-psychology campaign. Instead of asking people to vote for ideas, which with Trump's win people clearly do not care about complex policy positions, simply ask them to vote "None of the Above" - the ultimate outsider, damn the establishment message.

It is just crazy enough to work. A targeted ad blitz of $30 million over the span of a month should be good enough to saturate the public.

People did like Trump's ideas though. He ran on very basic ones, but they were real ideas.

kirblar

The broader point is this: Don't have a slogan if it's bad when you don't need one.

If you're going to have one, make sure it doesn't suck.

Thing is the GOP is allowed to say America is broke because you know really what they mean is minorities have broken it... and racism works.

I'm not sure the Dems can get away with implying American is broken and in need of repair/rebuilding.

How about something really specific

Democrats 2018: Hey, man, it's me, Greg. I'm really sorry for what I said at Joey's wedding. It wasn't right of me. We all deserved to be there. I was selfish because I was scared I was the only one of us who wasn't lined up to get married and I didn't want to be alone. I just thought, fuck it, I don't need these guys. I don't owe them anything, they're moving on. But I was wrong. You're one of my best friends. I see now that I was letting my own insecurities get in the way of all of us growing up together. I'm really sorry for that. I just hope you can forgive me. I know it's just words but things have never been the same and I want to get back to how we used to be. Anyway, I love you man, hope to see you soon. I met somebody, by the way. It's really helped. The only thing missing are my friends.

Thing is the GOP is allowed to say America is broke because you know really what they mean is minorities have broken it... and racism works.

I'm not sure the Dems can get away with implying American is broken and in need of repair/rebuilding.

A lot of people can recognize that America is broken when it comes to shit like healthcare and the job marketing.

Honestly a good slogan would be, "You Deserve Better"

Teggy

Jeff Stein @JStein_Vox

I shouldve corrected this immediately; I've deleted original tweet. Full slogan is "A Better Deal: Better Skills, Better Jobs, Better Wages"
3:30 PM · Jul 20, 2017

So the actual slogan is "A Better Deal." I expect the other parts will be used as supplemental slogans when appropriate.

More slogans.

In addition to "Forget Trumpcare. We Care," I have...

"America for All" complete with literature and signage showing the diversity of the party and the country. It also echoes the construction of the phrase "Medicare for All" for the youngsters.

"Ready to Help, Ready to Govern," highlighting Republicans' utter failure to pass legislation and their callousness toward people's health.

"Working for You" because Americans love work ethic, and they can show how Trump has just enriched himself and his cronies.

"New Ideas, New Jobs, New Start," giving people a fresh start after two years of Trump fuckery.

"Let's Make Progress," double meaning - progress in Congress and progress in society; "make" implies that the people will be partners in creating it.
I'm partial to "CAGE THE PIG" myself. Ideally stenciled in spray paint over a pink pig-Trump caricature.

Democrats 2018: Hey, man, it's me, Greg. I'm really sorry for what I said at Joey's wedding. It wasn't right of me. We all deserved to be there. I was selfish because I was scared I was the only one of us who wasn't lined up to get married and I didn't want to be alone. I just thought, fuck it, I don't need these guys. I don't owe them anything, they're moving on. But I was wrong. You're one of my best friends. I see now that I was letting my own insecurities get in the way of all of us growing up together. I'm really sorry for that. I just hope you can forgive me. I know it's just words but things have never been the same and I want to get back to how we used to be. Anyway, I love you man, hope to see you soon. I met somebody, by the way. It's really helped. The only thing missing are my friends.

Hillary might have won Wisconsin!

Hopfrog

I like the idea of a deal, but maybe they could find a way of emphasizing the freshness of said deal? I am not a word guy though so I don't know what that would be.

kirblar

I like the idea of a deal, but maybe they could find a way of emphasizing the freshness of said deal? I am not a word guy though so I don't know what that would be.
The implication is that it's a better deal than the one Trump is offering. (As well as the New Deal echoes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom