• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I hear that slogan, it screams blue dogs will be the focus. Not the base, not the left. And not the most vunerable because it takes way more than those three to help them.

Slogan needs work.

barber

Because what I've read and seen of her suggests she is more of a foolish (i.e. any opposition to American imperialism is good, even if it's Putin) than a bad person. My suspicion is the SJC is checking on everything there are rumors about to be thorough, moreso than that there is specific evidence linking Stein to Putin.
Putin has helped economically to far left and right parties in Europe, would not be surprised if it has helped the Green party in some infrastructure way too. That would make her a complete stooge in my mind.
Edit: probably not economically cause of how that works in the USA but in infrastracture and media coverage? yeah

Putin has helped economically to far left and right parties in Europe, would not be surprised if it has helped the Green party in some infrastructure way too. That would make her a complete stooge in my mind.
Edit: probably not economically cause of how that works in the USA but in infrastracture and media coverage? yeah

It wouldn't surprise me if he had somehow funded targeted online advertising to capture and energize possible Green voters, but given the risk:benefit ratio (i.e. huge risk for relatively little benefit, given you are going to lose anyway), I'm dubious an established (if small) third party would do such a thing and tank their chances of ever hitting that coveted 5%.

I believe she had a disclaimer saying she'd use the money for something else if the recounts failed.

Still grimey to prey upon desperate people shellshocked by a traumatic election.

You already know the answer.

Yeahhhhhhh

It wouldn't surprise me if he had somehow funded targeted online advertising to capture and energize possible Green voters, but given the risk:benefit ratio (i.e. huge risk for relatively little benefit, given you are going to lose anyway), I'm dubious an established (if small) third party would do such a thing and tank their chances of ever hitting that coveted 5%.

Counterpoint: 5% is a pipe dream, so the real risk is fairly minimal. Wouldn't set aside the possibility of a personal upside either.

jtb

Banned

Why? They have nothing to lose.

And, seriously, where is the recount money?

She's an opportunistic grifter, plain and simple. (That's the generous interpretation, anyways)

Ogodei

I'm not sure that's a winning platform in 2017

7FciPdL.png

Why? They have nothing to lose.

And, seriously, where is the recount money?

She's an opportunistic grifter, plain and simple. (That's the generous interpretation, anyways)

I don't deny she's opportunistic and that pocketing the recount money was scummy. I just find it unlikely the Putin stuff is true, as the benefit to either the Greens or Putin is quite low.

If Stein had actually managed to hit 5% the Green Party would desperately be looking for anyone else to run for president in 2020. Same with Johnson and the Libertarians. They wouldn't blow their shot on joke candidates.

Is that officially the platform?
Pelosi has promised a vote on it within the first 100 hours and a Politico article said Schumer supported it as well.

Supposedly their big economic agenda for 2018 will include the $15 minimum wage, a trillion-dollar infrastructure package and some new trade proposal.

Can't wait for fauxgressives to suggest that they don't really support it though. Just like how you can never trust Hillary on anything good, unless she said something bad in which case you can take her at her word 100%.

Vixdean

What the fuck is $2 million for Exxon anyway? Their executives are all worth billions. The legal fees to litigate any case related to this will probably exceed $2 million.

Slogans don't matter so I don't really care about the slogan itself but I was curious about that Tim Kaine op-ed the slogan is from and it feels kinda upset that someone would write an article than contains both
If you ask regular folks what Democrats want to do to the economy, not many will mention growth as the goal. (This is partly due to broad anti-business rhetoric that is directed toward Wall Street or multinationals but manages to scare off entrepreneurs and small businesses too.) The Democratic economic goal is more likely to be described as about fairness, regulation, taxation or redistribution.
and this
Woody Guthrie sang it so well decades ago — ”The gambling man is rich and the working man is poor."

edit: wtf CAD still exists?

kirblar

I don't entirely disagree with this, but I also don't think it's hard to convince people they deserve more money.
It's hard to convince people that a higher minimum wage is the solution when the problem is that there are literally no jobs where they live anymore, and/or the wage that you're proposing is really close to the median income of their county.

Tend to agree.

What a lame "hot take"

Apparently 2008 and 2006 don't exist and this person is also ignoring the dozens of highly qualified "perfect" candidates gearing up to run all over the country

His amendment is to vote on a clean repeal (the 2015 bill). He just is insisting it is prominently featured in whatever they vote on or something.

The senate isn't going to vote on a clean repeal. It would never make it to the floor. Rand is just talking because he wants to talk without actually wanting to vote on the bill.

Tend to agree.
When was the last time Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell ran in a competitive election for their current posts?

Was the limp-dicked leadership of Tom Daschle really that inspiring? Are these the same people who said Hillary's early primary wins didn't count because they were in red states? The fuck do they want? Make up your goddamn fucking minds.

What the fuck is $2 million for Exxon anyway? Their executives are all worth billions. The legal fees to litigate any case related to this will probably exceed $2 million.

Literally my first thought.

I wouldn't be shocked if just planning the lawsuit already got pretty close to 2 mil.

They have to be trying to prove some kind of point.

Ogodei

I'm sure you could add nuance to the $15 minimum wage, like an exception for counties with population densities lower than XX.

$10-$15 range nationwide, $10 for superlow population density regions, $12 for medium areas and $15 for high-density areas.

Since most of these are service-sector jobs you wouldn't see too much "venue shopping" for businesses trying to move out to the sticks for lower wages because they'd lose their customers, and getting businesses to move out to low-density areas would be beneficial anyway.

Edit: My CAD post was a reference to a thread the other day which devolved into a bunch of "Loss" shitposting. What i posted was an edited version of Buckley's original.

sure, it's a shorthand, but my point was that "Corbyn shows how doomed a real leftist would be electorally" was the favorite boogeyman of libs until uh, they were totally wrong.

Usually when people are wrong folks stop listening to them. You can't really blame knuckleheads for wasting your time if you're willing to give them a platform. If you let them stick around without shame after embarrassing themselves, then they'll exploit that.

When was the last time Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell ran in a competitive election for their current posts?

Was the limp-dicked leadership of Tom Daschle really that inspiring? Are these the same people who said Hillary's early primary wins didn't count because they were in red states? The fuck do they want? Make up your goddamn fucking minds.

Every Democratic candidate must be a charismatic rock star who pushes as far to the left as humanly possible or the left is DOOMED.

Minimum wage is a hyper-localized issue. We only need federal laws on it because of stupid red states who would bring back slavery if they thought they could get away with it.

I'm not really sure it's really something to run nationally on.

More slogans.

In addition to "Forget Trumpcare. We Care," I have...

"America for All" complete with literature and signage showing the diversity of the party and the country. It also echoes the construction of the phrase "Medicare for All" for the youngsters.

"Ready to Help, Ready to Govern," highlighting Republicans' utter failure to pass legislation and their callousness toward people's health.

"Working for You" because Americans love work ethic, and they can show how Trump has just enriched himself and his cronies.

"New Ideas, New Jobs, New Start," giving people a fresh start after two years of Trump fuckery.

"Let's Make Progress," double meaning - progress in Congress and progress in society; "make" implies that the people will be partners in creating it.

I'm sure you could add nuance to the $15 minimum wage, like an exception for counties with population densities lower than XX.

$10-$15 range nationwide, $10 for superlow population density regions, $12 for medium areas and $15 for high-density areas.

Since most of these are service-sector jobs you wouldn't see too much "venue shopping" for businesses trying to move out to the sticks for lower wages because they'd lose their customers, and getting businesses to move out to low-density areas would be beneficial anyway.

This is kind of my core thinking. Needs some fine tuning (I'd peg it more to the existing CoL than population density, but your idea would do a better job of avoiding the "pack up and move" issue), but it's good.

Definitely just RUN on "15 dollar minimum wage," though. Technocratic ideas are great when you're in government but they're kinda shit for winning elections.

Except in Virginia, for some reason.

kirblar

Edit: My CAD post was a reference to a thread the other day which devolved into a bunch of "Loss" shitposting. What i posted was an edited version of Buckley's original.
That nuance is in the bill, the "$15" doesn't go into effect until ages from now, when it should be the inflation-adjusted $12 of today.

It just still doesn't stop the messaging issues that the bill has because the initial "Fight for $15" stuff wasn't aimed at all of America, it was aimed at urban liberals by organized labor-backed advocacy groups.

What a lame "hot take"

Apparently 2008 and 2006 don't exist and this person is also ignoring the dozens of highly qualified "perfect" candidates gearing up to run all over the country

The senate isn't going to vote on a clean repeal. It would never make it to the floor. Rand is just talking because he wants to talk without actually wanting to vote on the bill.

This was also an issue w/ Clinton's background that was reflected in the campaigns.

2006 was in response to Katrina/Iraq War.

2008 was the Obama wave and the recession.

And compared to both those years, there are a lot less competitive seats now. It is even more important to convince people to vote for you.

2012 wasn't that long ago, either. While not a proper D wave, we still did well.

It's unsurprising the Democrats would do poorly in 2010 and 2014, given they were midterms during a Democrat president.

Kusagari

Pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/07/20/trump_12_a_year_health_insurance_comment_perplexes_nation.html

Trump needs to direct me to this $12 a year health insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom