• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A Better Deal" now that is playing on Trump's own turf a bit. Interesting.
I actually think playing up some sort of New Deal reference is a very good idea.

I think moreso than Crab's Rebuild America it should be more forward looking. A Future To Believe In is actually pretty good imo, but retooling it just a bit to sound like "A New Deal to the people of America" is even better. "Better skills" is a dumb third item for it though.

but whatever, this slogan isn't going to change anything and at best will be indicative of greater messaging problems with the Democrats.

I like the idea of a deal, but maybe they could find a way of emphasizing the freshness of said deal? I am not a word guy though so I don't know what that would be.

Something about the newness of the deal, yes.

"A Deal With Newness". Hmm, no that's not right.

We're close though.

kirblar

I actually think playing up some sort of New Deal reference is a very good idea.

I think moreso than Crab's Rebuild America it should be more forward looking. A Future To Believe In is actually pretty good imo, but retooling it just a bit to sound like "A New Deal to the people of America" is even better.

but whatever, this slogan isn't going to change anything and at best will be indicative of greater messaging problems with the Democrats.
Future's a bad word because people are scared of new things and change in general.

I wish I were even remotely kidding on that.

Hopfrog

The implication is that it's a better deal than the one Trump is offering. (As well as the New Deal echoes)

I know, I was just poking a slight bit of fun with the continued obsession of the Democrats with "Deal" messaging. Just call it "New Deal 2.0" and be done with it, you know they want to.

Also you guys are ignoring the two substantially less famous deals, the Square Deal and the Fair Deal.

I actually kind of like Kennedy's "New Frontier" too. Great Society is good but not appropriate right now imo

A lot of people can recognize that America is broken when it comes to shit like healthcare and the job marketing.

Honestly a good slogan would be, "You Deserve Better"

But like Obama ran literally on "Hope"

I just don't think a MAGA style can be done by Democrats because they seem to be held to different rules.

Democratic slogan should just be...

to-me-you-are-perfect.jpg

"Here's the Deal"... and then they proceed to outline it.
Oh, yeah, remind them of every shitty used car dealer they've ever encountered. That'll sell em.

kirblar

But like Obama ran literally on "Hope"

I just don't think a MAGA style can be done by Democrats because they seem to be held to different rules.
You can't play to nostalgia in the way MAGA infers. "Better Deal" plays to it in a way that works for Dems.

As many things as Clinton got wrong, her embrace of '80s GOP style imagery at the convention wasn't one of them.

Rebuild America is great imo.

Depends, on what you mean by Rebuild America. I remember an article that describes how Trump voters and Clinton voters view America or it was Dems voters or GOP voters. Regardless, one side had a view that the US needs to move forward or improve more, but it is much better than before and the other sides thinks things are getting much worse.

I think Democrats as a whole are a lot more optimistic about the country's future and Republicans are a lot more pessimistic. Rebuild America might not work because Democrats don't really think that way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arkly-different-views/?utm_term=.b459e13a896e

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ow-where-clinton-and-trump-supporters-differ/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I think moreso than Crab's Rebuild America it should be more forward looking. A Future To Believe In is actually pretty good imo, but retooling it just a bit to sound like "A New Deal to the people of America" is even better. "Better skills" is a dumb third item for it though.

A New Deal to the People of America is way too long. A Future to Believe In is okay, but you have to be careful about referencing the future, because for the voters that went missing, the past was better than the future. You need to reassure them it's a future for them. Your America, Your Future - something like that.

A New Deal to the People of America is way too long. A Future to Believe In is okay, but you have to be careful about referencing the future, because for the voters that went missing, the past was better than the future. You need to reassure them it's a future for them. Your America, Your Future - something like that.
I wasn't literally suggesting that full phrase, was just using it from FDR's announcement of the New Deal and that Democrats should leverage the suggestions of change and a brighter new future instead of this current one. Your America, Your Future is pretty good though.

Ernest

Banned
No consequences for firing Comey other than the hiring of Mueller...
And how's that different now than when he was under investigation by Comey? Nothing really changed - just a different investigator.

Don't get me wrong, I want Trump to eat shit as much as anyone. But Congress has to feed it to him, and so far they've been unwilling to do so.

benjipwns

Banned
This is an absolutely massive response that I did not expect. I was more asking about breakdowns of the specific ways in which Star Trek's economics and politics violate credulity relative to real-world understandings of those concepts, rather than the more behind-the-scenes take on the matter, as I'm well familiar with Roddenberry being clueless, but your manner of phrasing things is endlessly entertaining, nevertheless.
A primary issue with doing this with Trek is that we're shown its military politics, not its civilian ones. Except for a few exceptions. Almost every race/alliance even seems to operate with an empire-wide single permanent government, even the Bajorians government with all the time its given over seven seasons of DS9 doesn't really seem to make complete sense even granting its status as a temporary post-occupation government. Rarely are civilizations shown as having political conflicts between their different planets, let alone on a single planet. It's kinda hard to buy even granted 300-400 years of the future. (Trek in general has an issue with time scales...just to pick on Voyager again, for their first three seasons or so they spend it all in Kazon space (a race that is shown with political differences and factions!) while in the other Treks you could fly to Earth, Romulus, Cardassia Prime and back to Earth in half that time span encountering who knows how many races. There are even single episodes where they seemingly do this.)

Economically, there's that whole semi-no-scarcity thing. That really messes with the supply/demand curve we base all our economics on.

That said, in some ways, we're a more advanced society than the Federation, for one thing, we've invented tabs.

And how's that different now than when he was under investigation by Comey? Nothing really changed - just a different investigator.

Don't get me wrong, I want Trump to eat shit as much as anyone. But Congress has to feed it to him, and so far they've been unwilling to do so.

What will you say when the new sanctions pass with veto-proof majorities?

benjipwns

Banned
Dems should just pull the 1840 Whig gambit and steer right into the whole populist angle like they did against Van Buren.
It'd be an enjoyable repeat considering Harrison was a rich fuck from a family of wealthy landowners who bought his command while Van Buren's dad was a bartender and he was mostly self-taught and self-made.

Ernest

Banned
What will you say when the new sanctions pass with veto-proof majorities?
That would be great, but not what I'm talking about.

He's going to continue getting nothing he wants, but he's also not getting into much trouble (outside his own mouth) any time soon either. 2018 could be different though.

A ton changed. The FBI can't bring charges up. Mueller can. Mueller can also go where the investigation takes him. He has subpoena rights where the FBI has to request them from a grand jury etc etc.

You can't play to nostalgia in the way MAGA infers. "Better Deal" plays to it in a way that works for Dems.

As many things as Clinton got wrong, her embrace of '80s GOP style imagery at the convention wasn't one of them.

Better Deal is good. I was speaking towards things like Re-Build America or whatever Crab wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom